PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Pagan Activity

dgavin
2010-Mar-29, 07:36 PM
Since Mar 12th, a gas plume has been noted in the Modis Satellite imagry above Mt. Pagan. Mt. Pagan Volcano is a USA Territory located in a remote an unmonitored island somewhat north and a bit west of Guam, and part of the Mariana Island's chain.

danscope
2010-Mar-29, 09:23 PM
I used to live on Guam... for about 10 months. Glad it didn't have any local events like this. Damned inconvenient.... dust you know. Plugs up the old carburetor, flights get cancelled, no fresh tonic water, limes fail, no ice.

Best regards,
Dan

Swift
2010-Mar-29, 09:46 PM
Mount Pagan? I like the name. I can think of all kinds of things to suggest to stop the eruption, but I'd have to ban myself. ;)

danscope
2010-Mar-29, 10:27 PM
Good one !! :) :lol:

SkepticJ
2010-Mar-30, 01:10 AM
Everyone get your goat-leggings...

mugaliens
2010-Mar-30, 08:25 AM
So this is how it starts?

dgavin
2012-Mar-02, 07:50 PM
Mt. Pagan has made it to the Condition Yellow status again with steam/ash plumes visible on satellites last week.

I think it's time for a good old fissioned drum circle, with honey mead for everyone, including the pixies...:D

Gillianren
2012-Mar-02, 08:05 PM
Have you ever tried to organize a group of Pagans to go anywhere? The thing would have erupted by the time we got there.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Mar-03, 01:05 AM
I know with my groups it's a matter of inviting several weeks in advance and making sure everyone knows whose mead we're going to be drinking.

. . ., with honey mead for everyone, . . .
Incidentally, honey mead is an pleonasm.
Mead is by definition made with honey as the primary sugar source, though fruits or berries are often added for taste.
I think the phrase you were looking for was honey wine.

I actually have 5 liters merrily bubbling away at the moment, with black currants as the current taste giver, I'll wait a month or so to decide if it's going to get hops, meadwort (aka meadowsweet or filipendula ulmaria) or nothing, it'll basically depend on how much sugar is left unfermented when the yeast has died of alcohol poisoning.

jlhredshift
2012-Mar-05, 03:06 PM
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll put this here in hopes of dgavin having an opinion. Yesterday, or the past 24 hours, have been busy geologically. Etna, Hawaii, San Francisco, and India have all been active.

dgavin
2012-Mar-10, 01:14 AM
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll put this here in hopes of dgavin having an opinion. Yesterday, or the past 24 hours, have been busy geologically. Etna, Hawaii, San Francisco, and India have all been active.

I've been burried this week, non geolicically speaking. I'll take a look at this weeks activity tomorrow and chime in on this.

dgavin
2012-Mar-12, 06:50 PM

Sorry for the Delay here.

Hawaii is always active geologically and volcanically. If you are looking for geological trends, you fairly much have to explude this region from your list.

Etna has bee active on and off for about a decade, it started having increased activity a few months ago, so it's not odd that on a given day it might have more activity then on other days. It does that quite often.

Inida is on a plate that is colliding with another, so periods of EQ activity here are really not that unexpected.

San Francisco spans the junction of Two plates, sliding past each other, again EQ activity here is noting out of the ordinary.

Activity of all four increasing on same day?

Just coincidence, really. they are all very active regions geologically speaking, so activity increasing on them on a specific day is possible.

dgavin
2012-Mar-13, 07:12 PM
Steam and Ash eruption has been continuing at Mt. Pagan, the CNMI governemt is considering restricting access to the island.

jlhredshift
2012-Mar-14, 12:36 AM
Activity of all four increasing on same day?

Just coincidence, really. they are all very active regions geologically speaking, so activity increasing on them on a specific day is possible.

Well, we now know that it is absolutely possible.

Thanks

dgavin
2012-Aug-11, 01:39 PM
Not much has changed with Mt. Pagan.

*Resists the urge to grag goat leggings, and head to a drum circle...*

It hasn't been putting out any ash what so ever in the last months, but it is emitting steam/gass. If fact thats been so steady that this week USGS started calling it a persistant steam/gass emission.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-14, 07:45 AM
Next time you get that urge yield to it, it's great fun.

dgavin
2012-Dec-12, 08:39 PM
Gas steam emissions (but no ash) have increased this week at Mt. Pagan, and is being tearmed as 'Robust' activity. Still not much real data, imagry or otherise. There were also reports last week of Hazy conditions with the smell of sulfer dioxide, inlcuding on nearby islands.

Don't put away those goat skin leggings yet, It's looking more like Mt. Pagan might be heading for an eruption.

Swift
2012-Dec-13, 02:24 AM
Don't put away thos goat skill leggings yet, It's looking more like Mt. Pagan might be heading for an eruption.
I always keep them handy, plus they look so nice with this top. ;)

dgavin
2012-Dec-18, 07:48 PM
CNMI has started issuing "sulferous smell warnings" in relation to Mt. Pagan, and wind directions. Not much else has changed though, other then evidently...

Pagan's stink...

:lol:

dgavin
2013-Jan-04, 08:03 PM
Mt. Pagan is prety much emitting steam and gas continuously now. Still no ash, and there is no ground monitoring of it. There will be no warnings if Pagan does erupt, but with the remotness, only fisher boats in the area will need to be concerned.

dgavin
2013-Oct-18, 08:29 PM
Mt. Pagan is still just steaming away. Minor behavior change this last week.

From CNMI/EMO
An increase in seismicity was observed starting on 12 October. Activity peaked on 14 October and returned to background levels by 16 October.

dgavin
2013-Dec-13, 07:22 PM
Not much has changed here, Mt. Pagan is just happily venting steam. It doesn't look like we'll be needing those goat skin leggings any time soon.

dgavin
2014-Jan-21, 07:36 PM
Reports of robust steam emissions over the last week, but not much else has changed. Still can't find a URL for it's web cam, but it does have one according to USGS/CNMI.

dgavin
2014-Jul-05, 03:07 PM
Mt. Pagan is still sitting at Condition yellow. Seismology stations on Pagan picked up an underwater Eruption at or near Sea Mt. Ahyi on the 26th. Even though Ahyi or a near sea mt. may be erupting, it is only at condition yellow, as sea eruptions don't pose much problems for aviation.