PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this book?

pi is exactly 3
2004-Mar-12, 05:21 PM
http://www.cgpublishing.com/simple.htm It was promoted on the space chanel the other day and looks intersting. Anyone read it. My birthday is coming up and I might just put this on my list if it's any good?
What are your thoughts?

Cougar
2004-Mar-12, 11:08 PM
http://www.cgpublishing.com/simple.htm It was promoted on the space chanel the other day and looks intersting. Anyone read it.... What are your thoughts?
Well, it just came out this month, and it doesn't have any reviews yet even at Amazon.com. It's usually a good idea to see who the authors are, so I searched the web for them.... I found essentially nothing on either one of the first two authors. I count this as a bad sign. Most good, serious authors are associated with some school or college or university... something. But these guys must have just arrived from Mars or something. They have NO web presence.

It sounds like you're looking for something that's not too technical... After the Bad Astronomer's book, I'd try one of the excellent science writers like Paul Davies or Timothy Ferris or, uh, Nigel Calder, James Trefil, even Rocky Kolb's Blind Watchers is pretty accessible to a general audience, and he is an absolute riot.

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-13, 12:50 AM
It sounds like you're looking for something that's not too technical... After the Bad Astronomer's book, I'd try one of the excellent science writers like Paul Davies or Timothy Ferris or, uh, Nigel Calder, James Trefil, even Rocky Kolb's Blind Watchers is pretty accessible to a general audience, and he is an absolute riot.

Umm... some of us are freelance these days, too...

8)

Cougar
2004-Mar-13, 01:41 PM
Now, that's what I call a web presence. "Carolyn Collins Petersen": over 400 hits. This lady's been busy! And what did I say about some school association or academic credentials? We find that "Carolyn earned a masters' degree in journalism and mass communications from the University of Colorado - Boulder, where she was a Professional Research Associate with the Hubble Space Telescope's Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph team at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics. She also coordinated observations for the Ulysses Comet Watch project."

So there you have it, pi=3. This place is teeming with celebrities. 8)

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-13, 04:49 PM
Now, that's what I call a web presence. "Carolyn Collins Petersen": over 400 hits. This lady's been busy! And what did I say about some school association or academic credentials? We find that "Carolyn earned a masters' degree in journalism and mass communications from the University of Colorado - Boulder, where she was a Professional Research Associate with the Hubble Space Telescope's Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph team at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics. She also coordinated observations for the Ulysses Comet Watch project."

So there you have it, pi=3. This place is teeming with celebrities. 8)

Oh my gawd. Outed by my own web hits...;)

You notice some of those hits are from my own website though... no way to avoid that I suppose...

;)

George
2004-Mar-13, 08:41 PM

You notice some of those hits are from my own website though... no way to avoid that I suppose...

;)

I just added a hit to your site, and, I am glad I did. Very nice site. I especially like your rotating Mars (and it's blueish clouds). Your page honoring Ms. Leavitt is another nice addition as well. =D>

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-14, 08:24 PM

;)

I just added a hit to your site, and, I am glad I did. Very nice site. I especially like your rotating Mars (and it's blueish clouds). Your page honoring Ms. Leavitt is another nice addition as well. =D>

thank you, that's very kind of you. I got a letter from Ms Leavitt's great-grandniece a few years ago. She had run across the site while Googling for her famous relative's name.

But, getting back to the book in the OP, I did a little searching around and didn't find much on the authors...