PDA

View Full Version : Penny for your thoughts. [universe in trough of grav wave?]

kyanite
2010-Mar-30, 07:59 AM
Okay, I do not mean to offend any of you with my uneducated, and unfounded theories, but I would like a rational, scientific perspective on their feasibility. I am in no way attempting to "prove" or "disprove" any specific concept, but rather open the thread to the discussion of different feasible causes for our currently observed uniform expansion.

Is it possible that our localized region of the universe (the visible universe) exists within the trough of a massive gravitational wave? And that the process of stars and planets, and galaxies forming, is nothing but the condensation of matter as it cools as the result of being in a low pressure region? This would imply that the reason we cannot see beyond our visible universe, is that matter is being pulled away from the trough to the crests on either side, faster than the speed of light as the result of the curving of space time (much like how a small movement of a whip can cause the tip to break the sound barrier). This would also imply that everything may have been at a state of entropy, prior to the wave that caused the expansion. The waves augmentation of our visible universe, caused there to be space for the remaining matter to expand. This expansion causes cooling, which causes condensation of clouds of vapor into liquid spheres, and then into stars/planets.

Please be kind.

pzkpfw
2010-Mar-30, 11:59 PM
Hi, Welcome to BAUT. Please read the links in my sig, if you haven't already.

This gets tricky, because the ATM ("Against the Mainstream") sub-forum is really for people who want to propose an idea and then defend that idea against analysis.

On the other hand, the Q&A sub-forum is where questions may be asked, and mainstream answers given.

There isn't really a "general non-mainstream discussion" sub-forum. Since you've already written "I am in no way attempting to 'prove' or 'disprove' any specific concept...", I've moved this thread to the Q&A sub-forum.

I'd ask all members to remember the "mainstream only" rules for Q&A, and perhaps to stick to answering the "Is it possible that our localized region of the universe (the visible universe) exists within the trough of a massive gravitational wave?" part of the OP (and treat the rest as background to why the question was asked).

Thanks

P.S. "Penny for your thoughts." is not a very useful thread title.

kyanite
2010-Apr-01, 06:11 AM
No one wants to bite on this?

tusenfem
2010-Apr-01, 07:58 AM
As basically the amplitude of gravitational waves is so small (and thus the difficulty to detect them), I find it hard to believe that the "universe" condenses in a trough of a gravitational wave.

mmaayeh
2010-Apr-01, 11:14 AM
Hi Kyanite, welcome to BAUT.

I will take a stab at this based on my understanding of different science readings. If I understand the question correctly, that the entire space-time of the universe is in a trough of an extremely huge gravitational wave where everything (mass and energy) is in between two crests and existing around the or in the trough of the wave. Is this a fair estimation of the question?

Well, what is understood from the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) studies (from my basic layman understanding) is that the universe is thought of as flat and closed universe. A wave shaped (that seems to be similar to a saddle shape) would imply that the universe is open at least which is not the current understanding. Well as far as flatness I am not sure, but, I think with wave shaped or saddle shaped then, I think you may perceive some sort of edge to the universe (I may be mistaken on this). However, in the current universe, that we live in, the edge or center is not perceived -- e.g., flat.

What I also recommend, if you have not done so, is to checkout astronomy cast (http://www.astronomycast.com) which is a great astronomy podcast site. Please see episodes 77, 78, & 79 that discuss the center, shape, and size of the universe. It blew my mind when I first heard them and frankly I should go back and re-listen to them myself just as a refresher.