PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin 4 upgrade

Pages : [1] 2

Fraser
2010-Mar-30, 11:53 PM
Okay, as some of you might notice, everything's new. I've upgraded the site to vBulletin 4. I was hoping that it would be a long slow, careful upgrade, but I had to do it quickly because of today's hacking.

Regarding the hack, from what I can tell, it was some kind of automated hack that inserted hidden banner code into the site's template. This was designed to generate advertising revenue for them based on traffic to BAUT. It's a pretty low-risk hack, from what I can tell.

I've upgraded vBulletin to the latest version, reverted all the site templates to their default versions. This should both close up the exploit and remove the hacked code from the website. Please let me know if your Nortons, etc are still being triggered.

Of course, now we're upgraded to vBulletin 4, which is going to require tweaks and fixes. So, hit me with them and I'll start working through them.

slang
2010-Mar-30, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the work you're putting in for us, Fraser.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-31, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the good work.
It even looks like the post links in the post numbers aren't horribly broken anymore and members links are the combination of uid and name I've been suggesting for ages so that's that bug closed:D

Now for the slightly less good:
The visual difference between the icons for forums with and without unread posts is very little and if my head is even slightly off center when watching the difference disappears:(
The tooltips for the thread icons is mostly empty, It's because it's putting lots of whitespace in the tag.

<a class="threadstatus" rel="vB::AJAX" title="

You have 45 post(s) in this thread, last 02-March-2010

"></a>

chrissy
2010-Mar-31, 12:26 AM
I haven't got any problems from my anti-virus warnings so far. yay! :D

Van Rijn
2010-Mar-31, 12:38 AM
This isn't a problem, just something I noticed and thought might be worth pointing out:

The "report post" icon still exists, but is now on the lower left below a post, not the upper right above. And it isn't red.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 12:54 AM
Good day people! What a funky new surprise for the day. This should blend in on my screen at work much better! Very stealthy - thanks Fraser!

One thing I've noticed so far - if I want to check for new posts in my subscribed threads I used to click for the control panel or however it was labelled, in the top left corner. Now I see I can click under Quick Links and select Subscribed Threads. Is there any way to filter down to the threads which I haven't yet viewed out of those?

Grashtel
2010-Mar-31, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the good work.
It even looks like the post links in the post numbers aren't horribly broken anymore and members links are the combination of uid and name I've been suggesting for ages so that's that bug closed:D

IIRC those were the fault of an SEO plugin that was apparently lost in the upgrade, and IMO good riddance to it as it seemed to cause more trouble than it was worth.

Grashtel
2010-Mar-31, 12:56 AM
I have to say that I am not a fan of the new look. Am I right in thinking that it is going to be a temporary thing until the templates for the old look are fixed and updated?

George
2010-Mar-31, 01:13 AM
Thanks Ty Pennington (Fraser) for the makeover.... I think. :)

"The quantity of matter is the measure of the same, arising from its density and bulk conjunctly. "
[Copying from Word to see if it gets messy as before.... Nope, all is well, apparently.]

Can we put most any word in the thread title? Yes? Well, it's about time. ;)

[And no filters imposing punisment. That's a relief.]

Testing...
Red
Red

Ah ha!, there be color here!!! :)

novaderrik
2010-Mar-31, 01:18 AM
i gotta say, i don't like the layout.. it looks too- i don't know the proper word to use- cartoony to me. i just don't like rounded edges and soft colors on bulletin boards.. but i will adapt, i guess..
of course, i'm running Windows Vista that is configured to look like WIN98, so what do i know?

LotusExcelle
2010-Mar-31, 01:20 AM
Avira identifies the sent virus as originating in 2007. Does the server run on a linux/unix platform or on a Windows based platform? I'm curious as I doubt very much that the embedded code was sent to attack the server. It is embedded-ad in origin.

Swift
2010-Mar-31, 01:29 AM
I agree with the negative comments about the new look, I don't love it, but I could get used to it. I also agree that I would like the Report Post icon to be more noticeable; red would be good.

George
2010-Mar-31, 01:29 AM
Hmmm.... Will you be able to give us the button that lists all of the threads that have had posts subsequent to ours?

Gillianren
2010-Mar-31, 01:36 AM
Yeah, disliking the look a lot, but if that's what it takes to, you know, not be hacked, I'll cope.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 01:36 AM
I agree with the negative comments about the new look, I don't love it, but I could get used to it.
10: Yeah, can we get it to look more like the DOS prompt or a text based game, like Zork? This whole Windows thing bugs me.
20: It's all so repetitive.
30: GOTO 10

Swift
2010-Mar-31, 01:47 AM
10: Yeah, can we get it to look more like the DOS prompt or a text based game, like Zork? This whole Windows thing bugs me.
You make an old man very happy. Can I install BAUT from an 8" floppy, or will I need a tape drive?

Seriously, I would like a darker line between the text of the post and the signature, and quite frankly, the whole blue-gray coloring is kind of ugly and hard to see.

Fraser
2010-Mar-31, 02:07 AM
In my many years of webmastering, one thing I've learned is: don't mess with the default unless you've got a really good reason...

I'm going to get our big banner back up shortly, but I'm not going to mess with the design at all.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 02:09 AM
'Tis my pleasure Swift! That old setup takes me back to sitting in a caravan down the bottom of our block tapping away on the Vic 20, and tape drives. The world seemed less complicated then.

I notice the Quick Style Chooser in the bottom left corner. By default it's set to vB4 Default Style.

What would be great would be if a style template was created which was as similar to the previous layout as possible while this one still available, so that we can take our pick. Is it possible for individual users to customise their formatting of the screens to a degree? I appreciate we wouldn't want too much variation available, otherwise it will create confusion when explaining things to each other, but things such as colour themes etc would be neat.

ETA: Fair call Fraser - it can just be tempting fate to mess with things much. People will get used to it with time. I don't have a problem with it myself, though I do find myself running striaght from the message body into the signature often. I still like the look for the fact that it's less obvious at work.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 02:20 AM
George (and others) - if you're referring to the User CP, I just found that it is linked under Setting in the top right corner. Hover over it and you'll see it's actually the User CP rather than a settings section.

I don't know if that's going to change. It works fine as is, just wasn't where and labelled how I was expecting.

Nick Theodorakis
2010-Mar-31, 02:41 AM
I notice the url of our profile pages now include some kind of id number in addition to the name, which should help guard against the username spoofing we talked about elsewhere.

Nick

tashirosgt
2010-Mar-31, 04:40 AM
I would prefer a higher contrast page (like the old look) rather than the pastel colors of this new look. This is not because of artistic reasons. It's because I'm getting old enough to want high contrast pages and big fonts.

clint
2010-Mar-31, 05:03 AM
http://sportstwo.com/forums/images/smilies/shock/smiley-eek2.gif I almost closed the tab again, thought I was on the wrong site...

clint
2010-Mar-31, 05:06 AM
Just recovered from the first shock :)

One thing I've noticed so far - if I want to check for new posts in my subscribed threads I used to click for the control panel or however it was labelled, in the top left corner.

It was called "User CP" - I used it all the time, too (haven't yet investigated if there is anything similar in this new version - so please let me know!)

POST EDIT: I see you have already answered this a few posts above - thanks!

This isn't a problem, just something I noticed and thought might be worth pointing out:
The "report post" icon still exists, but is now on the lower left below a post, not the upper right above. And it isn't red.

What's interesting is that those buttons below the posts only loaded after a few minutes. First I could only see the "reply with quote" one.
Only the first time, though, now it's immediate (probably due to the cache memory?)

tusenfem
2010-Mar-31, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the work, Fraser! Was surprised, but will get used to the new look!

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 05:17 AM
Yeah, that's the one that is now linked under the title Settings in the top right corner.

Oh yes, and I'd also like to forward my thanks to Fraser for his prompt response to the drama. It was all hunky dory when I went to sleep last night, and all fixed and updated by the time I got to work this morning (unless my boss is reading this, in which case it was ok within a couple of hours of me arriving at work).

You've done a great job Fraser, and it's greatly appreciated!

Gillianren
2010-Mar-31, 05:52 AM
I do appreciate the work, Fraser, but still reserve the right to grumble about the bits you have no control over.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 05:56 AM
Yeah Fraser, my hair gel only holds for an hour or so! *grumble grumble*

mugaliens
2010-Mar-31, 05:57 AM

c:\cls
c:\edlin
.Nope, that didn't do it.
.Where'd these pics come from?
^C

Actually, the new look doesn't bother me in the least. It's just different, and nothing looks the same as it did five years ago, whether we're talking commercials, cars, or clothing styles, so roll out the carpet for the new look and let's move along!
PS: Fraser - everything seems to be in good working order. :)

slang
2010-Mar-31, 06:35 AM
Nice! The "check multiple posts" to reply to all of them at once feature works again!

Philippe Lemay
2010-Mar-31, 06:39 AM
Would be nice to have the boxing astronaut back at the top of the page. He was fun. lol

But yea, the new layout looks very nice.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 07:02 AM
Your wish is Fraser's command, Philippe! It's back.

Fraser
2010-Mar-31, 07:03 AM
Good timing. I'd updated it before I saw his request.

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 07:17 AM
Has anyone found a way to switch the default reply from Quick to Advanced?

BetaDust
2010-Mar-31, 07:20 AM
The banner does not look right for me.....

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/30-235412L/7212/jpg/03/2010/img5/glowfoto

Obviousman
2010-Mar-31, 07:21 AM
Change is good, Fraser. I'm a happy little Vegemite.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 07:47 AM

If you're talking about what they refer to as SEM (Switch Editor Mode), then that issue hasn't been sorted out yet, apparently.

Have a look at this thread (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?347320-Switch-Editor-Mode-Safari-amp-Chrome) on the vB4 forum, and maybe check back there from time to time.

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 08:09 AM
If you're talking about what they refer to as SEM (Switch Editor Mode), then that issue hasn't been sorted out yet, apparently.

Have a look at this thread (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?347320-Switch-Editor-Mode-Safari-amp-Chrome) on the vB4 forum, and maybe check back there from time to time.

I'm not sure if that's what it is or not, but that thread says it's an issue with Chrome and Safari. I'm seeing it with Firefox and IE. Basically, there is no difference between clicking the Quick Reply button and clicking any other button. The only way to go to the screen I used to have as the default is to select "Go Advanced".

Glom
2010-Mar-31, 08:36 AM
I told you all it was an attack. And yet you all deserted the battlefield. Shame on you!

I quite like this new look, though I'll be better able to judge when I'm not using the iGlom. I never much cared for the old look. I preferred the old BABB look when we used phpBB.

Strange
2010-Mar-31, 10:14 AM
My only comment on the new style is the default font: not sure what it is, but it is harder to read than before. Especially when italicized in quotes.

AndreasJ
2010-Mar-31, 10:30 AM
The very thin line separating signatures from the body of the post is going to be annoying. The report post button is excessively discrete.

Those niggles aside, I rather like the new look this far.

CJSF
2010-Mar-31, 11:25 AM
I noticed that if I click on the link to see all my previous posts, they come up in some mixed up order instead of reverse chronological order like before. Yesterday the first posts listed seemed to be from August of last year. This morning the first ones are from July 2007. And they aren't in chronological order from there either - the dates listed skip around. I don't see any way to reorder the results.

CJSF

CJSF
2010-Mar-31, 11:32 AM
Actually, looking at it a third time, it now DOES seem to be listing them chronologically, from newest to oldest, but nothing newer than 2007 is displaying on page 1. I'm going to see if my newer posts (besides these) actually exist.

Edited to add: Yes, they are still there. Is anyone else having the same issue with their posting list?

CJSF

AndreasJ
2010-Mar-31, 11:34 AM
Another annoyance: to get back to the current subforum one either has to dig through the "Quick" Navigation menu or go back to the top of the page. Having a direct link near the bottom of the page was more convenient.

Donnie B.
2010-Mar-31, 11:48 AM
For those who, like me, are finding the new font to be smaller and less legible -- it's time you learned about Ctrl+ and Ctrl-. On most browsers, those key combinations increase and decrease the font size. I found one Ctrl+ sufficient to make the new font roughly equivalent to the old. (Firefox remembers the setting for every web site you visit, so you don't have to do this every time. I don't know whether other browsers are the same in that regard.)

Strange
2010-Mar-31, 12:15 PM
For those who, like me, are finding the new font to be smaller and less legible -- it's time you learned about Ctrl+ and Ctrl-.

That does help a bit, but it isn't just the size. It is just a less legible font. OK for headings, poor for normal text, almost unreadable (at any size) in italic.

tdvance
2010-Mar-31, 12:36 PM
Your problem is you're escaping all your commands. Oh wait...windows thinks "escape" is a directory seperator :)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-31, 12:46 PM
Actually, looking at it a third time, it now DOES seem to be listing them chronologically, from newest to oldest, but nothing newer than 2007 is displaying on page 1. I'm going to see if my newer posts (besides these) actually exist.

Edited to add: Yes, they are still there. Is anyone else having the same issue with their posting list?

CJSF
I expect it's a reindexing issue where a background process is running through every post in a leisurely manner (1.7 million posts to reindex, gotta take some time).

AndreasJ
2010-Mar-31, 12:54 PM
For those who, like me, are finding the new font to be smaller and less legible -- it's time you learned about Ctrl+ and Ctrl-. On most browsers, those key combinations increase and decrease the font size. I found one Ctrl+ sufficient to make the new font roughly equivalent to the old. (Firefox remembers the setting for every web site you visit, so you don't have to do this every time. I don't know whether other browsers are the same in that regard.)

Chrome, annoyingly, doesn't remember. (Happily, however, it's not issue on BAUT, as the standard text size works well with my settings and monitor.)

Nick Theodorakis
2010-Mar-31, 12:58 PM
I noticed that if I click on the link to see all my previous posts, they come up in some mixed up order instead of reverse chronological order like before. Yesterday the first posts listed seemed to be from August of last year. This morning the first ones are from July 2007. And they aren't in chronological order from there either - the dates listed skip around. I don't see any way to reorder the results.

CJSF

If I check my previous posts, the only one showing is the one I made after the upgrade.

Nick

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 01:02 PM
I expect it's a reindexing issue where a background process is running through every post in a leisurely manner (1.7 million posts to reindex, gotta take some time).
I'm pretty sure I did see Fraser mention in one of the relevant threads that he had some work to do on something like this. Can't remember where, but I'm pretty sure he's on it.

It must be a pretty big task.

mahesh
2010-Mar-31, 01:06 PM
Thanks Mr Cain, for the upgraded goodies...and all the hard work that's done in the background for us.
And thanks to the admin and the mods, too, of course.
There, for a moment I thought I'd ventured into my cricket forum, that I've joined recently.
Same version and default usage.

Best wishes for a great Easter

Warm regards

George
2010-Mar-31, 01:46 PM
George (and others) - if you're referring to the User CP, I just found that it is linked under Setting in the top right corner. Hover over it and you'll see it's actually the User CP rather than a settings section.
Thanks, Spoons.

Fraser, my protection software, Trend Micro, is blocking this site and requesting I report it to Microsoft.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-31, 01:59 PM
There's a code snippet when you're not logged in that triggers virus warnings, it doesn't look like it's active at the moment as the warnings are triggered by the url in the code snippet before something is actually fetched and trying to fetch from the link (on a secured machine, without using a browser) results in a message the file can't be found, so it's definitely a badly configured if not deliberately malicious website.

I'm guessing some sort of free image hosting service with inadequate virus and access checks which has made it a repository and attack vector for viruses.

ETA Looks like it's gone now.

peteshimmon
2010-Mar-31, 02:16 PM
ARRRRGGGG...I have always hated usenet and now you look like it! And I
have to scroll scroll flipping scroll. Clicking thread tools used to get
me down to the bottom of the page. Please keep tweaking until it looks
as it did. Near on perfect.

Swift
2010-Mar-31, 02:24 PM
I have a suggestion kludge for signatures. I've added a line at the top of mine, and have changed the font, so as to distinguish it from the post.

99gecko
2010-Mar-31, 02:42 PM
^^^ Good idea. Hope you don't mind that I've copied your suggestion as well.

I am using Firefox for my browser. I have noticed that when I am logged out, I get a pop-up suggesting i install Java update 1.6.0_16 to see all media on the page. When I am logged in, the message doesn't appear.

BTW, I can't install the Java update, as I am using a corporate PC without administrator privileges. As such, it is more than a tad annoying.

cheers.

Fazor
2010-Mar-31, 02:42 PM
. . . and have changed the font, so as to distinguish it from the post.
Where's Facebook's "like" button when you actually need it? "LIKE!" (I've done it for a long time. Sigs that blend into posts are a pet peeve of mine).

John Jaksich
2010-Mar-31, 04:45 PM
IMO kudos go to the webmaster and moderators/administrators on the upgrade --- though it takes awhile to accustomed to---it appears to be easier on the "eyes"--in general.

sarongsong
2010-Mar-31, 04:57 PM
Where's the "Mail Room" (PMs) :confused:

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 04:58 PM

Got to "settings" in the top right. Inbox link will be on the left center.

Edit: There is also a "Private Messages" link on the main toolbar right under the "What's New" button under the banner.

Fazor
2010-Mar-31, 04:59 PM
Top-right portion of the page, next to the BAUT banner. Click "Notifications". I think you can also get there by clicking on the "Profile" link next to that, then finding messaging on the tool bar on the left of your profile section.

tdvance
2010-Mar-31, 05:27 PM
you had to scroll on Usenet? Not with slrn you don't, nor its predecessors trn and rn.

tdvance
2010-Mar-31, 05:28 PM
Maybe it just changed---but I see an auto-generated line separating signatures. Of course, mine always had the ------ which I kept from my usenet days.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-31, 06:06 PM
Maybe it just changed---but I see an auto-generated line separating signatures
There is, but it's so pale(#E9E9E9 aka 91% white) that if I get more than 10 degrees off viewing angle on my laptop it's gone.
Ditto for the difference between forums with and without new posts, if I'm even slightly off center of viewing angle the difference disappears.

There's just plain not enough contrast in this skin.

jlhredshift
2010-Mar-31, 06:07 PM
Will it have a notification if you have a PM waiting. It used to be unread and a number?

Are the friends "+"'s working?

New is new, old is old, Good work, thanks.

jlhredshift
2010-Mar-31, 07:04 PM
Will it have a notification if you have a PM waiting. It used to be unread and a number?

New is new, old is old, Good work, thanks.

notification working, thanks Tog

Swift
2010-Mar-31, 07:37 PM

They seem to be in the user list on the front page of the forum. The mods on line are also still in green and the admins in red, though for my eyes, the diffference between the green and the regular blue-gray of the text is slight. I also echo the complaints about poor contrast.

Glom
2010-Mar-31, 07:45 PM
IMO kudos go to the webmaster and moderators/administrators on the upgrade --- though it takes awhile to accustomed to---it appears to be easier on the "eyes"--in general.

It's always that way. We get used to a look, even a simple colour change would make some people riotous. Not there aren't issues though as I described in the other thread.

I have a suggestion kludge for signatures. I've added a line at the top of mine, and have changed the font, so as to distinguish it from the post.

Changing font is a useful thing to have done even before this episode. Even on the old forum, I got confused sometimes as to when a signature starts.

kleindoofy
2010-Mar-31, 08:51 PM
Okay, as some of you might notice, everything's new. ...
Some?

Is that what's called an understatement? :lol:

John Jaksich
2010-Mar-31, 09:11 PM
It's always that way. We get used to a look, even a simple colour change would make some people riotous. Not there aren't issues though as I described in the other thread.

Changing font is a useful thing to have done even before this episode. Even on the old forum, I got confused sometimes as to when a signature starts.

I am being serious---the pastels are easier on my bad eyesight...I do admit it does take some getting used to...I have been using my desktop at the forum since I started posting.

Atraveller
2010-Apr-01, 12:40 AM

Hey Donnie, Thanks for that - I think you saved me having to get a new prescription for my glasses.

slang
2010-Apr-01, 12:52 AM
Hey Donnie, Thanks for that - I think you saved me having to get a new prescription for my glasses.

It also tends to work with Ctrl-mousewheel up/down. For the lazy inclined among us. Like me. :)

slang
2010-Apr-01, 12:53 AM

It also tends to work with Ctrl-mousewheel up/down. For the lazy inclined among us. Like me. :)

ToSeek
2010-Apr-01, 02:05 AM
They seem to be in the user list on the front page of the forum. The mods on line are also still in green and the admins in red, though for my eyes, the diffference between the green and the regular blue-gray of the text is slight. I also echo the complaints about poor contrast.

I've turned the moderators orange for now. I'm open to suggestions as to color.

Swift
2010-Apr-01, 02:09 AM
I've turned the moderators orange for now. I'm open to suggestions as to color.
Looking at the Currently Active user list, you made us orange and Big.

ABR.
2010-Apr-01, 02:13 AM
Oh, my, Swift...what a big font you have!

Spoons
2010-Apr-01, 02:17 AM
All the better to chide you with! ;)

ToSeek
2010-Apr-01, 02:20 AM

And Bold.

Swift
2010-Apr-01, 02:21 AM
Oh, my, Swift...what a big font you have!

Its not how big it is, its whether it has serifs. Or something like that.

Spoons
2010-Apr-01, 02:25 AM
I shot the serif.

But I didn't shoot the deputy.

ABR.
2010-Apr-01, 02:36 AM

Okay. Now you're just showing off!

ETA: Er, I didn't realize the fonts went to 11.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-01, 02:38 AM

Happy now?

Swift
2010-Apr-01, 02:40 AM
Happy now?

Wow, I was trying to make a joke that wouldn't involve me having to ban myself and showed my knowledge of fonts.
Do you think, if I told him I like it the other way better, he would kill me? Did I just type that "out loud"? Have we derailed this thread quite enough?
All will be answered on our next episode.

Polyrealastic Observer
2010-Apr-01, 02:41 AM
Your work here is impressive guys. Thanks for your labors. I didn't notice anywhere in this thread anyone else having login problems, but I did. I couldn't stay logged in until I checked the "remember me" button. Don't know if that's important or not.

CJSF
2010-Apr-01, 11:23 AM
I think you were right about the reindexing, as of now all my posts show up in order; however, there doesn't seem to be any indication in this version whether or not those threads have new posts or not. Ah, well.

CJSF

chrissy
2010-Apr-01, 11:40 AM

I feel like an UmpalumpaTM. :(

Glom
2010-Apr-01, 12:04 PM
Has everyone noticed the extensive use of CSS border-radius? Box-shadow too. Chrome users should be able to see it. IE and Opera users won't.

George
2010-Apr-01, 03:31 PM
I shot the serif.

But I didn't shoot the deputy.
:) Here's 2000 lbs. of Clap :clap: :clap: :)

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-01, 04:51 PM
So far; I'm not happy with the upgrade. But; I will reserve judgement until I get used to it.

Although; there are a few things that a very irritating:

Those big envelopes? I don't care how active a post is, and that's what's most visible with them. The difference between read and unread are almost indistiguishable, and that's where I put the importance. Now; maybe if the "last unread" icon is bigger, then maybe I can ignore those big envelopes.

At the top level of the forum, I have absolutely no clue as to which sub-fora have unread posts. Is something missing? It looks like there's space at the left for some icon, but I got nothing (Oh wait... see below). I would at least expect a minimum of a bold heading.

When a post has a quote in it, there is no post number. That makes it very difficult to scroll back and forth to help find pieces of the conversation.

A bit larger font for the poster's name would be nice. It's very important to me to know who's talking.

What's the icon that looks like a piece of notepad paper? It's all over, doesn't have any click event tied to it, and some just have a tooltip of "default" (others have no tooltip) * EDIT: Never mind, it's the type of post/emoticon or whatever it's called to denote the thread type. It used to be off by itself.

It also seems to be designed to be best viewed at 900 pixels wide. I prefer a narrower window, but when I do, the columns all shrink proportionally. Unfortunately, some of those columns that have a relatively stable width of information start to get all funky. The column for the "quote bubble" icons for unread fora (grey vs blue) does not appear if the window is less than 900 pixels.

Gillianren
2010-Apr-01, 05:50 PM
I feel like an UmpalumpaTM. :(

Or Oompa-Loompa, even.

Fazor
2010-Apr-01, 05:53 PM
Or Oompa-Loompa, even.
Intentional maybe?
"Ouch, why did I ever buy this Lego shirt?"
"You mean block-o?"
"Um, yeah... right..."

ToSeek
2010-Apr-01, 06:34 PM
At the top level of the forum, I have absolutely no clue as to which sub-fora have unread posts.

Look at the icon at the left with the cartoon speech bubble. If it's blue, the sub-forum has unread posts. If it's gray, it doesn't. If you're colorblind, well, you have a problem.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Apr-01, 07:46 PM
Spiffy and shiny! Me likee new thingy.

Pay no attention to those grumpy fuddy-duddies with terminal homeostasis.

NEOWatcher
2010-Apr-01, 07:59 PM
Look at the icon at the left with the cartoon speech bubble. If it's blue, the sub-forum has unread posts. If it's gray, it doesn't. If you're colorblind, well, you have a problem.
Apparently you didn't read the rest of my post where I said "Oh wait... see below".
The icons only show with a wide window which is bigger than my laptop display.

chrissy
2010-Apr-01, 08:02 PM
Or Oompa-Loompa, even.

I stand corrected.

Fazor
2010-Apr-01, 08:03 PM
The icons only show with a wide window which is bigger than my laptop display.
That's my only "gripe". I'm a fan of small icons. They need to be able to be seen and interpreted, but they shouldn't be the attention-grabbing parts of a forum. But it doesn't ruin the forum for me, by any means. Besides, it seems to me that those are the kind of secondary issues that are better looked at after things like security exploits and server moves are out of the way.

Function before beauty -- which come to think of it, must be Tara's motto too, as she's still with me after 6 years.

Gillianren
2010-Apr-01, 09:26 PM
Too easy.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Apr-01, 09:28 PM
I hate it when someone beats me a punchline.

ABR.
2010-Apr-01, 09:37 PM
Has anyone else noticed that their post count has been stuck today? The last 4-5 posts of mine haven't changed my post count for some reason.

And by the way, Fazor, that was a HUGE opening you left there. I, too, will pass on it.

ETA: Sigh. Of course, the post in which I bring up the problem gets counted.

clint
2010-Apr-01, 10:55 PM
:):(;):D:mad: Strange how some of the emoticons lack contrast. Other don't: :lol::surprised:dance:

Xelebes
2010-Apr-01, 11:05 PM
This is the first forum that I frequent that has upgraded to vB 4. Time to see what's new with this software.

1. Hm, Sizes go up to size 7. 7 is the new 11.

Not noticing much else.

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 07:21 AM
Okay, we're moved over to the new location. Of course, there are going to be problems.

The most likely problem you're going to see is missing images. In fact, as I'm writing this, I can see that some smiley images are broken.

Please post to this thread if you see any problems. If you see a missing image, please post the URL to the image that's missing, or the page that's containing a missing image.

I've switched over the domain, but it's not going to fully work for everyone for a couple of days, so I'm going to keep this complicated URL for a couple of days, and then go back to bautforum.com

Thanks for your patience.

mugaliens
2010-Apr-02, 07:46 AM
Normal growing pains - it's to be expected. The page response and display times seem to be as fast as, if not faster than the previous server. :)

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 07:59 AM
It should be. We're now replicated across a vast array of machines, a bottomless cloud of computers working together to serve BAUT. Next stop: Skynet.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-02, 09:56 AM
http://www.bautforum.com.php5-9.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/images/smilies/lol.gif missing, but I guess you know.

ABR.
2010-Apr-02, 04:01 PM
Not sure whether this is a glitch or just something weird on my end. When I logged in just now, my username appeared in the users on-line list, but the top of the screen still looked like I hadn't logged in -- no access to profile, settings, notifications, etc. I clicked on to another page and suddenly, all that was up and running. My post count still isn't registering every post, but I think I have a theory on that now.

ETA: Okay, my post count went up with this post. I'm beginning to suspect that posts in Fun-n-Games aren't being counted, but posts in other fora and subfora are.

ETA II: Nope, that wasn't it either. I just posted to the Untrue Fact thread and that post counted.

Fazor
2010-Apr-02, 04:50 PM
I've noticed the pictures in my profile's albums are missing, though I have to wonder if that's a symptom or if the UN declared them an egregious act of terror upon humanity.

chrissy
2010-Apr-02, 07:30 PM
I have noticed a few members avatars have vanished (captain swoop and Kaptain K) and I haven't checked any of my newly uploaded pictures yet!!

[edit to add] Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

CJSF
2010-Apr-02, 07:31 PM
This might be related to the move, but none of the threads I've posted to have the little green arrow indicating that I've posted there.

I have to agree with the earlier comments that the user names need to be larger, the quote font is very hard to read, and the singature separation line is too light. Also, I don't like the new envelope icons either.

CJSF

Gillianren
2010-Apr-02, 08:15 PM
Maybe we should complain en masse to the actual company instead of poor Fraser.

Kaptain K
2010-Apr-02, 08:20 PM
I'm still here!!!!!!!

But, my avatar seems to be MIA!

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 08:25 PM
Fixed it, thanks!

Kaptain K
2010-Apr-02, 08:27 PM
Fixed it, thanks!

No, thank you!

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-02, 08:37 PM
The colors and all the icons should be easily user-replaceable. The defaults are
merely defaults. The programmers who set those defaults would be disappointed
if you just kept the defaults and didn't make use of the ability to change such things
that they laboriously programmed.

I also dislike the large, round-cornered balloons, and the little "tails" on the
balloons (cartoonists must have a proper name for those). Nice, clean, sharp
rectangles are my preference.

One actual problem I'm having is that I'm associating the buttons for a post with
the post underneath them. That wasn't a problem with the previous layout.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

LaurelHS
2010-Apr-02, 09:04 PM
How do you search for a particular phrase? Putting quotation marks around it doesn't work anymore.

chrissy
2010-Apr-02, 09:07 PM
Captain swoops is still awol and my pictures must have done a runner with it! *bottom lip quivers*

. . . _ _ _ . . .

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-02, 09:09 PM
Let's translate that.

Album pictures are missing.

slang
2010-Apr-02, 09:28 PM
I don't see the Google search box that was available before. Whether it was before the server-move or the forum update, I don't know.

ETA: for those that need it, you can always use Google (http://google.com) in the regular way, and add site:bautforum.com to the search terms

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 09:36 PM
Let's translate that.

Album pictures are missing.

I need you to give me a link to a missing image.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-02, 09:44 PM
http://www.bautforum.com.php5-9.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12007&thumb=1&d=1225185640
http://www.bautforum.com.php5-9.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/album.php?albumid=34&attachmentid=12337
http://www.bautforum.com.php5-9.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12337&d=1242588351

chrissy
2010-Apr-02, 09:45 PM
http://www.bautforum.com.php5-9.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12789 one of the missing image links.

[edit to add] nothing there...

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-02, 09:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that never did work. It works in Google.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

chrissy
2010-Apr-02, 10:06 PM
I have four albums missing. :(

LaurelHS
2010-Apr-02, 10:14 PM
No, I used to do it on this forum and it worked.

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 10:20 PM
I found the photos, and I'm uploading them now.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-02, 10:42 PM
No, I used to do it on this forum and it worked.
But did you use the Google search link or the built-in one?
Perhaps the site isn't done reindexing the posts for searching.

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 10:43 PM
I haven't reindexed yet. I'll do that shortly.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-03, 12:25 AM
This might be related to the move, but none of the threads I've posted to have the little green arrow indicating that I've posted there.

I have to agree with the earlier comments that the user names need to be larger, the quote font is very hard to read, and the singature separation line is too light. Also, I don't like the new envelope icons either.

CJSF

I can't do anything about most of that, but I can (and have) made the usernames larger.

Jim
2010-Apr-03, 02:45 AM
I can't do anything about most of that, but I can (and have) made the usernames larger.

Well, some are larger, some are smaller, and they are in different fonts. Look especially at the listing on the main page.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-03, 03:52 AM
Well, some are larger, some are smaller, and they are in different fonts. Look especially at the listing on the main page.

They're all larger than they used to be (well, except for banned posters). Moderators and Kilopians have been gifted with a serif font. Everyone else is sans-serif.

ABR.
2010-Apr-03, 04:10 AM
Everyone else is sans-serif.

I think these folks have Eric Clapton to thank for that.

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-03, 08:10 AM
I'm having a harder time noticing that I need to click on the link to the
last-numbered page of a thread that has more than one page. I keep
clicking on the thread name which takes me to the first page, realizing
my mistake, and going back to start over. I don't know whether it is
because of the location or the colors of the links.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

glappkaeft
2010-Apr-03, 12:19 PM
The link to the "Advice for Conspiracy Theory Supporters" sticky (in the "Forum Rules, FAQs, and Information" subforum) is broken in http://www.bautforum.com.php5-9.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/showthread.php/86596-Advice-for-Conspiracy-Theory-Supporters .

andyschlei
2010-Apr-03, 04:37 PM
For some reason the home page does not show me as logged in although the forum pages do. Some sort of bug?

Swift
2010-Apr-03, 04:47 PM

I've noticed that it seems inconsistent - sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn't.

Swift
2010-Apr-03, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I have a missing album too
http://www.bautforum.com.php5-9.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/album.php?albumid=81
It has the "websitetestlink" stuff in there, I wonder if that's the problem.
A lot of the links seem messed up - someone in the other thread mentioned a link to Advice for CT Supporters was messed up.

Donnie B.
2010-Apr-03, 05:01 PM
He sot the serif?

jlhredshift
2010-Apr-03, 06:08 PM
Would it be possible that links be given a higher contrasting color? I am having a hard time seeing in post links.

Fraser
2010-Apr-03, 06:14 PM
Links are going to be messed up until I change the forum's base URL. I don't want to do that until everyone is looking at the new server.

Fraser
2010-Apr-03, 06:19 PM
Okay, it looks like everyone is pointed at the new server now, so I've changed the base URL to be http://www.bautforum.com now. There's no need to access that crazy temporary URL any more.

chrissy
2010-Apr-03, 06:52 PM
I wondered why I got disconnected, right in the middle of killing a spammer!!

Fraser
2010-Apr-03, 06:58 PM
Now you have to kill him in the mirror universe.

chrissy
2010-Apr-03, 07:02 PM
Oh! I have done so and it was sweet. :D

andyschlei
2010-Apr-03, 08:03 PM
For some reason the home page does not show me as logged in although the forum pages do. Some sort of bug?

Fixed!

Swift
2010-Apr-03, 09:01 PM
Okay, it looks like everyone is pointed at the new server now, so I've changed the base URL to be http://www.bautforum.com now. There's no need to access that crazy temporary URL any more.
If I click on that link, or use my normal bookmark for BAUT, I see an absolutely blank page - nothing on it. If I try going to the main index, I get the same thing. If I try any back ways in (like Googling for BAUT and picking a link other than the main page) I can get in.

Van Rijn
2010-Apr-03, 09:22 PM
If I click on that link, or use my normal bookmark for BAUT, I see an absolutely blank page - nothing on it. If I try going to the main index, I get the same thing. If I try any back ways in (like Googling for BAUT and picking a link other than the main page) I can get in.

Same here. I can go between the forums in the "quick navigation" bar (which I normally don't use, because it seems less convenient to me) but the main index page:

http://www.bautforum.com/index.php

is blank for me.

ETA: It's working now. I shouldn't have bothered posting.

Fraser
2010-Apr-03, 09:24 PM
It might be that there are cookie problems for people. You're logged into the temporary version and then trying to see the new server. Log out and then log back in.

Van Rijn
2010-Apr-03, 09:28 PM
I didn't make any deliberate changes on my side, but it started working for me (I added a note to my previous post).

ETA: Swift, how is it for you now?

Jim
2010-Apr-03, 09:42 PM
What's with the jumble of font types and sizes for Member names?

Also, is anyone else getting a delayed response when typing a message? Like, I typed that first sentence and had to wait 15 seconds for it to show on my screen.

Jim
2010-Apr-03, 09:49 PM
They're all larger than they used to be (well, except for banned posters). Moderators and Kilopians have been gifted with a serif font. Everyone else is sans-serif.

How do I return this gift? I am not a serif-lover. The Members list looks messy with the different sizes and fonts.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-04, 12:59 AM
What's with the jumble of font types and sizes for Member names?

I enlarged all of the user names for non-banned posters, but not entirely consistently:
Regular members: sans serif
Kilopians: bold, serif
Moderators: bold, serif, orange
Administrators: bold, sans serif, dark red
Banned members: small with strikethrough
Suspended members: large with strikethrough

ToSeek
2010-Apr-04, 01:05 AM
How do I return this gift? I am not a serif-lover. The Members list looks messy with the different sizes and fonts.

They're people. People are not all the same. (At least that's the way I look at it - if I get more negative feedback, then I have no great problems with going to a more uniform scheme like we had before.)

Swift
2010-Apr-04, 03:59 AM
I didn't make any deliberate changes on my side, but it started working for me (I added a note to my previous post).

ETA: Swift, how is it for you now?

Yep, things seem to be good now.

Disinfo Agent
2010-Apr-04, 03:44 PM
My apologies if this has already been mentioned, but it looks like the "report this post" feature is gone.

Moose
2010-Apr-04, 03:48 PM
The icon's on the bottom left now.
.........vvvv

Disinfo Agent
2010-Apr-04, 04:04 PM
Oh, I see it now! Thanks. :)

andyschlei
2010-Apr-04, 08:07 PM
Firefox is giving me Malware site warnings for BAUTForum.com. The malware report is backed by google and reports malware found today.

Here is the message:

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for bautforum.com

What is the current listing status for bautforum.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 107 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 3 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-04-04, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-04-04.

Malicious software includes 2 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including cz.cc/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including buert.net/.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS36351 (SOFTLAYER), AS33070 (RMH).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, bautforum.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

And the link it came from:

http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=http://www.bautforum.com/

tdvance
2010-Apr-04, 08:42 PM
I got it too--I am using Chrome now to get in--with Firefox, even if you click the "this isn't malware" button, you get the warning on every page, and some pages won't display but go right back to the warning when you click "this isn't malware".

Fraser
2010-Apr-04, 09:11 PM
We should consolidate the threads, i think.

BAUT got hacked, I took a bunch of measures to fix the hacks and tighten up the security. It's going to take a few days for Google to recognize the fixes and remove us from their watch list.

novaderrik
2010-Apr-05, 01:50 AM
Firefox won't let me anywhere near bautforum.com- a page comes up and says that google has tagged this as a bad place. if i skip all of that and somehow manage to get on here, it is formatted totally different (like a list) and shows me that "danger" page every time i click on an internal baut link.
Interweb Exploder doesn't have these hangups- but i feel dirty every time i use it.

---edit---
ok, i figured it out on my end- i just changed my security preference in Firefox. i wasn't sure if this was a result of the recent upgrade, so i put this here.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-05, 03:41 AM
Firefox won't let me anywhere near bautforum.com- a page comes up and says that google has tagged this as a bad place. if i skip all of that and somehow manage to get on here, it is formatted totally different (like a list) and shows me that "danger" page every time i click on an internal baut link.

The formatting issue would indicate that it's blocking the CSS style sheets that tell your browser how to format the page and just letting the basic HTML data through.

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-05, 05:58 AM
Some of the font info must be in the HTML, then.

When the CSS is blocked, the fonts are various sizes, but all enormous.
When I bypass the security check in FireFox, the fonts are various sizes,
but all microscopic. I have to zoom in twice to give a reasonable font
size, and that is still considerably smaller than the standard default size
for web page fonts.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

CJSF
2010-Apr-05, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure a strikethrough for suspended members is a good idea. When I saw some strikethroughs, I assumed it was someone banned but still in the system temporarily/somehow.

CJSF

slang
2010-Apr-05, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure a strikethrough for suspended members is a good idea. When I saw some strikethroughs, I assumed it was someone banned but still in the system temporarily/somehow.

But they are in the system temporarily/somehow.. they just can't post.

dhd40
2010-Apr-05, 03:44 PM
My problem: I can't find my recent posts anymore. In the old version I used the ADVANCED SEARCH function to find the threads where I posted recently, say, one or two weeks ago, by typing in USER NAME (i.e. DHD40) and FIND POSTS (i.e. A Week Ago, or 2 Weeks Ago, ...). By this, I got immediately the result and could look for new replies, etc.

In the new version this doesn't work. I don't even understand the meaning of "Search Single Content Type" and "Seach Multiple Content Type".

Briefly speaking: What should I do to find my recent (One Week Ago, ...) posts?

Right now there’s another problem. In the old system I could change to other Internet pages (e.g., my online dictionary) and return to BAUT without anything being lost. Now, when I return to BAUT, my not-yet-finished post is gone/empty. Of course, I could have saved it in a word file (which I mostly do to prevent „getting lost“ due to computer errors). Anyhow, the old sytem was much more tolerant.

Swift
2010-Apr-05, 04:36 PM
My problem: I can't find my recent posts anymore.
You could go your own profile (very top, towards the right "My Profile"), then, towards the top, on the left, "Find All Posts".

Right now there’s another problem. In the old system I could change to other Internet pages (e.g., my online dictionary) and return to BAUT without anything being lost. Now, when I return to BAUT, my not-yet-finished post is gone/empty. Of course, I could have saved it in a word file (which I mostly do to prevent „getting lost“ due to computer errors). Anyhow, the old sytem was much more tolerant.
If you are using "Reply with Quote", the box for the Quick Reply now is below the post your are quoting, not all the way at the bottom. I've run into this and had to scroll up to the middle of the thread to find the Quick Reply box I was working on.

Not sure if that is exactly your problem.

Fazor
2010-Apr-05, 05:09 PM
They're people. People are not all the same. (At least that's the way I look at it - if I get more negative feedback, then I have no great problems with going to a more uniform scheme like we had before.)

Then, FWIW, the various fonts/sizes in the names list bug me too. It also bugs me that they're as large as they are in the "online members" list on the main page; IMHO, they shouldn't be larger than the thread text above it.

Jim
2010-Apr-05, 06:43 PM

Well, Fazor seems to agree with me. Anyone else? (I find the different font sizes to look slapdash and poorly thought-out. It gives the page a bad look, like a novice playing with the software... or a CT website! JMO.)

Jim
2010-Apr-05, 06:48 PM
We should consolidate the threads, i think.

Merged per Fearless Lead... uh... Fraser's request.

Swift
2010-Apr-05, 06:55 PM
Well, Fazor seems to agree with me. Anyone else? (I find the different font sizes to look slapdash and poorly thought-out. It gives the page a bad look, like a novice playing with the software... or a CT website! JMO.)
I'm not fond of it. The bigger size font works well for posts, but not so well for the user list. I'm guessing the same font is used for both.

But the biggest problem for me is still the basic color scheme and the poor visual contrast. The whole look is just difficult to read.

Gillianren
2010-Apr-05, 06:58 PM
The site seems to have been designed by someone who doesn't actually use bulletin boards. And, yeah, the varied fonts don't really work for me, though strikethrough does.

dhd40
2010-Apr-05, 07:51 PM
You could go your own profile (very top, towards the right "My Profile"), then, towards the top, on the left, "Find All Posts".
Well, that at least shows all my post ... huuuuh ... but not my most recent ones. I wouldn't call this "progress"

If you are using "Reply with Quote", the box for the Quick Reply now is below the post your are quoting, not all the way at the bottom. I've run into this and had to scroll up to the middle of the thread to find the Quick Reply box I was working on.

Not even sure, either. I'll have to try it later.

dhd40
2010-Apr-05, 08:04 PM
This is my test to see the result of your quote below (If you are using ...)
Now I'll switch to a different Internet site and try to come back .... wait ...

Wow, I'm back here again without losing my almost-finished post. No idea why it works now. As far as I remember, I used the "Reply with Quote" button before. Well, let's see what happens next time.

Anyhow, thanks for your help

Swift
2010-Apr-05, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Swift
You could go your own profile (very top, towards the right "My Profile"), then, towards the top, on the left, "Find All Posts".Well, that at least shows all my post ... huuuuh ... but not my most recent ones. I wouldn't call this "progress"

When I do it, at least for my own profile, they are ordered by posting time, in descending order, as the default. So the most recent will be at the top.

dhd40
2010-Apr-05, 08:23 PM
When I do it, at least for my own profile, they are ordered by posting time, in descending order, as the default. So the most recent will be at the top.

Yes, that's ok. But it was much more comfortable earlier to just see the threads where I posted recently. Listing all the posts within one specific thread ... that's a little bit irritating. Should I have said "I would like to find the THREADS where I posted recently? Does that make a difference to "I would like to see the POSTS which I posted recently?
Maybe, I simply have to get used to it (old trees bearely move).

dhd40
2010-Apr-05, 08:31 PM
The site seems to have been designed by someone who doesn't actually use bulletin boards.

I'm not supposed to disagree with you

Van Rijn
2010-Apr-05, 10:24 PM

If someone else has mentioned this, my apologies, but I just noticed that a second click on the "Reply" or "Reply With Quote" button takes me to the "advanced" editor. So now, I just double click on those buttons.

Swift
2010-Apr-06, 01:10 AM
If someone else has mentioned this, my apologies, but I just noticed that a second click on the "Reply" or "Reply With Quote" button takes me to the "advanced" editor. So now, I just double click on those buttons.
Cool.

clint
2010-Apr-06, 06:26 AM
That's useful, thanks!

PS: I just noticed that double clicking on the "Reply" (without quote) button does get you to advanced mode, but automatically includes a quote, too.
Not a big problem, of course, you can always delete the quote...

Van Rijn
2010-Apr-06, 08:25 AM
That's useful, thanks!

PS: I just noticed that double clicking on the "Reply" (without quote) button does get you to advanced mode, but automatically includes a quote, too.
Not a big problem, of course, you can always delete the quote...

Good point. It's not a big problem, but it does make it more work if you don't want to quote a post. It does appear that directly clicking on the "go advanced" button at the bottom of the page will work, though.

ETA: Double clicking on the "Reply to Thread" button also takes me to the "advanced" edit window, with no quotes.

Strange
2010-Apr-06, 10:52 AM
There's a code snippet when you're not logged in that triggers virus warnings, it doesn't look like it's active at the moment as the warnings are triggered by the url in the code snippet before something is actually fetched and trying to fetch from the link (on a secured machine, without using a browser) results in a message the file can't be found, so it's definitely a badly configured if not deliberately malicious website.

I'm guessing some sort of free image hosting service with inadequate virus and access checks which has made it a repository and attack vector for viruses.

ETA Looks like it's gone now.

I did get a rather nasty "fake antivirus" trojan installed on my machine by that page (at about the same time Henrik posted this message :( ). I have been away since then and am running my browser in a virtual machine for the time being - just in case ...

ETA: Just caught up with other messages - sounds like all should be well now.

Spoons
2010-Apr-06, 11:06 AM
Fraser's request appears to have solved the issue some time in the last day or so, as I'm not getting the Firefox warning. Thank you Mr Cain!

Swift
2010-Apr-06, 01:10 PM
I did get a rather nasty "fake antivirus" trojan installed on my machine by that page (at about the same time Henrik posted this message :( ). I have been away since then and am running my browser in a virtual machine for the time being - just in case ...

ETA: Just caught up with other messages - sounds like all should be well now.
I had what I suspect is the same fake antivirus trojan ("PC Antispyware 2010") several weeks ago. Yes, very nasty, a pain to get rid of, but I got it well before the BAUT problems. Your's might have come from BAUT, but it might not have.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-06, 09:44 PM
Then, FWIW, the various fonts/sizes in the names list bug me too. It also bugs me that they're as large as they are in the "online members" list on the main page; IMHO, they shouldn't be larger than the thread text above it.

I've modified the font scheme so that everything's in the same typeface now:

Regular members: 150% of default size (as is everyone's), no other treatment
Kilopians: bold
Moderators: bold, orange
Administrators: bold, dark red
Banned members: 100% with strikethrough
Suspended members: 150% with strikethrough

Unfortunately, there's no way of separating the treatment in the posts and the treatment in the "online members" list. Anything I do to one happens to the other. So if I cut the list down to a reasonable size, the names on the posts would go back to being tiny again.

Meanwhile, the moderators really like the strikethrough because they don't have to look at a username like "ISellViagra" in the online list and wonder if they need to be banned.

Fazor
2010-Apr-08, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately, there's no way of separating the treatment in the posts and the treatment in the "online members" list. Anything I do to one happens to the other. So if I cut the list down to a reasonable size, the names on the posts would go back to being tiny again.

I just noticed the changes (I've been away at a business certification class for the last few days). Much better! I still thought the names in the list were too big, 'til I read this. If it comes down to being annoying in the user list or being annoying in the posts, the user list loses out. After all, a forum is all about the posts within it!

Anyway, thanks for the work! At least now it doesn't (much) remind me of a 12-year-old's MySpace page. ;)

Spoons
2010-Apr-09, 12:23 AM
Me So HaPpY yOu'Re So HaPpY!

:dance: :razz: :exclaim: :clap: :p

LOL!!!!!! :shhh:

Swift
2010-Apr-09, 02:02 AM
Now, if we could only get some smilies didn't all look like the same pale yellow blobs. ;) :o :D :) :eek: :( :rolleyes:

Spoons
2010-Apr-09, 02:05 AM
Oh, I almost missed your sarcasm.

(Judging by the new smilies, I think we must be running out of black ink)

Kaptain K
2010-Apr-09, 02:28 AM
Or black electrons! :doh:

Spoons
2010-Apr-09, 02:48 AM
noooooooo!

Spoons
2010-Apr-09, 03:04 AM
Has anyone else noticed the last word of the first line being repeated often in the first word of the second line within posts? If so, have you noticed if it is specific to Internet Explorer, Firefox or whatever?

It doesn't always seem to happen either.

It's not a big problem, of course, just wondering. For a little bit I thought it was my silly ol' brain stroking off.

andyschlei
2010-Apr-09, 08:53 PM
Attachments aren't showing up for members in the Astrophotography forum. That might explain why traffic there has gone to just about zero.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-09, 09:08 PM
... Unfortunately, there's no way of separating the treatment in the posts and the treatment in the "online members" list. Anything I do to one happens to the other. ...
Not via the acp, but maybe by altering the php and adding to the css code.

I'm not familiar enough with the vBulletin code, but the phpBB code, which also handles the names as described above, can be altered to display them differently in different situations.

At least in phpBB, it depends on whether the NAME variable is passed with css code or without. If it's without, i.e. the formatting is done locally, the patch is fairly simple. If it's passed with integrated css code, the php code would have to be changed in about 20 or more places with uncertain effects on other things. Some passes use compounded macro variables which contain much more information than just the basic NAME information.

Sticky, and probably not worth it.

Edit:

The resulting html code shows:

<ol class="commalist" id="wgo_onlineusers_list">
<li> <a class="username" href="member.php/5291-kleindoofy"><span style="font-size:12pt">kleindoofy</span></a></li>

which promises a specific css class id "wgo_onlineusers_list". However, that's meaningless without being able to read the definition. I checked the css inclusion links, and there are so many css files, it would take a while to capture them all and find that id. Not only that, the <span style="font-size:12pt"> part suggests that the formatting might indeed be passed as part of the variable. The question is how it would be passed.

It's difficult to say without the code.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-09, 09:21 PM
It's my impression that vBulletin has gone all modern and objectorienty with version 4, so I wouldn't be surprised if the formatting is bound to a member object and used everywhere.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-09, 09:33 PM
... I wouldn't be surprised if the formatting is bound to a member object and used everywhere.
Even then, it might theoretically be possible to create multiple member variables right at the beginning, i.e. multiple and parallel member objects, which all have different formatting and which could be called individually at different places.

Once again, it's somewhere between difficult and impossible to say without seeing the code. And probably not worth the bother.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-09, 10:04 PM
I'd probably do it as different member functions returning different formatting of same member object, but yes, it's definitely an implementation question.

There are nine and sixty ways...
:)

J Riff
2010-Apr-10, 07:06 AM
It looks fine here altho I like a bit more contrast too. My PC crashed and burnt to the ground a day or so after the hack in here, no idea if it's related but browser highjacker problems and then booM ! A nice new instal later, and a new BAUT, could be worser.

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-10, 11:59 AM
Has anyone else noticed the last word of the first line being repeated often in
the first word of the second line within posts? If so, have you noticed if it is
specific to Internet Explorer, Firefox or whatever?

It doesn't always seem to happen either.

It's not a big problem, of course, just wondering. For a little bit I thought it
was my silly ol' brain stroking off.
I see it. Many posts, including some posted before the change. At first I
thought it might affect only short words, but I saw a couple of longer words
repeated, too.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Spoons
2010-Apr-11, 07:20 AM
Ah, ok, thanks Jeff. So long as it's not just me.

I wonder whether that logic would apply equally to contracting a flesh eating virus.

KaiYeves
2010-Apr-11, 09:24 PM
I can't see any of my pictures when I got to the albums on my profile. Is anybody else having this problem?

slang
2010-Apr-11, 09:47 PM
I can't see any of my pictures when I got to the albums on my profile. Is anybody else having this problem?

Yes, Fraser is aware of that, I think it was first mentioned about chrissy's albums.

andyschlei
2010-Apr-11, 11:22 PM

This may be similar to the problem of only guests being able to see attached pictures. Have you tried looking while you are logged out?

slang
2010-Apr-11, 11:46 PM
This may be similar to the problem of only guests being able to see attached pictures. Have you tried looking while you are logged out?

andy, I just tried from Internet Explorer (not logged in, thus guest) and I could not see pictures in Kai's albums. Nor could I see the attachment in one (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/97366-Backyard-Wildlife?p=1705404#post1705404) of my previous posts. In Firefox (logged in) the same happens. BUT... in your (recent, after the conversion?) post here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/102189-M33-with-Ha-Added) I DO see a link to the attached picture in IE, but not in Firefox. So there seems to be a difference between old posts with attached images and new (post conversion) posts with attached images.

mugaliens
2010-Apr-12, 03:01 AM
I'm having a harder time noticing that I need to click on the link to the
last-numbered page of a thread that has more than one page. I keep
clicking on the thread name which takes me to the first page, realizing
my mistake, and going back to start over. I don't know whether it is
because of the location or the colors of the links.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I always experienced this in the old version, as well as this one. If you re-set your options under your control panel to display "Newest First," clicking on the thread titles will take you to the latest posts. It takes a bit of getting used to, though.

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-12, 08:47 AM
I accidentally clicked "Unsubscribe from this thread", and I can't
find how to resubscribe without posting. As it happens, this is an
appropriate thread in which to ask how to do that. One possibility,
though, is that it is under "Thread Tools", which I clicked on but
nothing happened. Before I clicked on it I saw that it requires
JavaScript, so I turned scripting back on. After it still failed
to work I reloaded the page before trying again, and restarted IE
before trying yet again, and restarted the computer (and put in a
new modem) before trying and failing yet again! So the problem
might be on my side, or it might be that Thread Tools isn't working.

ALSO...

I find that, after having turned scripting on, clicking the
"Post Quick Reply" button does nothing. With the new modem I
can see that nothing is sent from the computer when I click.
The "Go Advanced" button right next to it works fine, and the
Send button at the advanced input works, too.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-12, 11:58 AM
You may have limited the rights of JavaScript too much.
When it's enabled, the reply and reply with quote buttons try to open an editor inline without contacting the server until it's getting saved, but to do so, JavaScript has to have fairly extensive rights.

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-12, 12:20 PM
This is a test. I turned scripting off again.

Edit: Well, isn't that interesting? Quick Reply worked with scripting turned off.
Which is what I expected. I'm almost certain that I used it several times before
I turned scripting on in a failed attempt to get the Thread Tools to work.
I know Thread Tools requires JavaScript because it says it in the link.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

andyschlei
2010-Apr-12, 04:30 PM
andy, I just tried from Internet Explorer (not logged in, thus guest) and I could not see pictures in Kai's albums. Nor could I see the attachment in one (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/97366-Backyard-Wildlife?p=1705404#post1705404) of my previous posts. In Firefox (logged in) the same happens. BUT... in your (recent, after the conversion?) post here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/102189-M33-with-Ha-Added) I DO see a link to the attached picture in IE, but not in Firefox. So there seems to be a difference between old posts with attached images and new (post conversion) posts with attached images.

Slang, I just went over with IE 6 and the attachments are there but when I click on them, I am told I cannot access them. Then, when I log in, they disappear.

Perhaps things will work differently on posts that are new rather than converted. No way for me to try that right now.

pzkpfw
2010-Apr-12, 10:09 PM
The site seems IE8 compatibile (or rather, IE8 following the standards, seems to have no issue with the site). The HTML even seems to show that IE targetted "tricks" like special style sheets are indeed limited to versions of IE older than 8.

So can we get the...

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8">

...meta tag added to the base page template, so IE8 knows that it won't need to use compatibility mode?

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-12, 10:32 PM
Seems so. The html for this very page shows two IE hack exceptions to the css code and both specify "lt IE 8," i.e. "less than IE 8":

<!--[if lt IE 8]>
<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin-threadlist-ie.js?v=402"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?styleid=2&amp;langid=1&amp;d=1270390325&amp;td=ltr&amp;she et=threadlist-ie.css" />
<![endif]-->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?styleid=2&amp;langid=1&amp;d=1270390325&amp;td=ltr&amp;she et=additional.css" />

<!--[if lt IE 8]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?styleid=2&amp;langid=1&amp;d=1270390325&amp;td=ltr&amp;she et=vbulletin-ie.css" />
<![endif]-->

dhd40
2010-Apr-13, 04:33 PM
I still don't understand the meaning/difference of/between "Search Single Content Type" and "Search Multiple Content Type". Both don't work the way it used to be in the "old" Advanced Search system.

My problem: I want to find those threads where I (user name) posted "A week ago ... and newer". How to proceed?

Also: What's the difference between "What's New" and "New Posts"?

Also: Where could I find the answers to questions like these? The FAQ doesn't help

:sad: :cry: :sad:

BetaDust
2010-Apr-13, 05:08 PM
Also: Where could I find the answers to questions like these? The FAQ doesn't help

You could try: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

Edit, or here at BAUT, as you did. :)

--Dennis

2010-Apr-13, 08:16 PM
My problem: I want to find those threads where I (user name) posted "A week ago ... and newer". How to proceed?

Advanced search

Search Single Content Type tab

Search Type: Posts

User Name: <yours>

Find Posts: A week ago (and) Newer

Sort Results By: Last posting date in Descending order

Show Results As: Threads

I took what you asked for and made the menu and radio button selections. I don't know why this wouldn't be what you want...

(Or did you want the threads where *your* posting happened a week ago or newer? You'd probably have to get (Show Results As) articles by you in the last week, (not threads you have contributed to), and click into the threads from the articles.)

KaiYeves
2010-Apr-13, 10:58 PM
I've tried viewing my photos when not logged in, there's no difference.

andyschlei
2010-Apr-13, 11:11 PM
I've tried viewing my photos when not logged in, there's no difference.

I've got some screenshots, so we'll see if they work.

First, logged in, thumbnails not visible.

OK, forget it. Just got this error when trying to upload:

Fatal error:

* Could not create file system directory to hold your attachment.

Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata in [path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849

So uploading files is not working.

At any rate, when logged in, there are no links to attached files. When not logged in, there are links but you are asked to login when you click on the link.

R.A.F.
2010-Apr-15, 03:40 PM
Don't know if this has anything to do with the upgrade, but while I can post this, I can't view an undated board, and I'm not listed as being logged on...

I'ver tried other forums to make sure it wasn't my computer and everything works fine...I have no idea just how to resolve this.

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-15, 04:32 PM
What is "an undated board"?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

R.A.F.
2010-Apr-15, 04:49 PM
"Updated board"...in other words, I'm looking at the board as it was yesterday. It is only when I get on a thread that I can see what's been posted today.

R.A.F.
2010-Apr-15, 05:06 PM
OK...I changed my web browser to firefox and now everything is hunky-dory.

Wonder why it was having so much trouble.

dhd40
2010-Apr-15, 07:05 PM
Advanced search

Search Single Content Type tab

Search Type: Posts

User Name: <yours>

Find Posts: A week ago (and) Newer

Sort Results By: Last posting date in Descending order

Show Results As: Threads

I took what you asked for and made the menu and radio button selections. I don't know why this wouldn't be what you want...

(Or did you want the threads where *your* posting happened a week ago or newer? You'd probably have to get (Show Results As) articles by you in the last week, (not threads you have contributed to), and click into the threads from the articles.)

The (my ) bold is exactly what I'm looking for. It worked perfectly in the "old" system. But now I get threads where I posted two or more years ago. The logic of the new "Advanced Search" seems to be "OR" instead of "AND"
I will try your hint "Show Results As articles", but I can't remember to have seen this in the Advanced Search function.
Anyhow, thanks for your help.

PS: I looked for "articles" in the Advanced Search section. Can't find "articles" :cry:

2010-Apr-15, 11:52 PM
PS: I looked for "articles" in the Advanced Search section. Can't find "articles" :cry:

"Posts" Radio button near the bottom, either Threads or Posts. Last thing under additional options, Search Single Content Type.

andyschlei
2010-Apr-16, 03:11 AM
I'm going to try again here, but I am beginning to think that management doesn't really care about this issue. So this time, I am going to yell.

YOU CAN'T POST PICTURES TO THE FORUM. THIS MEANS DEATH THE THE ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY FORUM.

Sorry about that, but I am trying to get attention here.

See this comment from RickJ, an outstanding astrophotographer who writes wonderfully detailed posts with excellent images.

Due to all the problems with this site and the inability of those who don't have a web site to link to to even show their images here this will be my last post here until all the problems are corrected. Those wanting to see the rest of the Arp series I'm working on can follow me on the Cloudy Nights CCD imaging forum where Arp 121 in now posted. Many who used to post here now only post there so hope to see you there.

With this broken, we lose a great contributor. Please, can someone in authority at least say if they care or not?

--Andy

Jeff Root
2010-Apr-16, 09:01 AM
I have no doubt at all that they care, but whether they know what to
do next, are taking the appropriate actions, or are acting as rapidly
as they might are reasonable questions.

I see a number of smaller problems that I hope will also be corrected.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

dhd40
2010-Apr-16, 10:36 AM
"Posts" Radio button near the bottom, either Threads or Posts. Last thing under additional options, Search Single Content Type.

Ah yes, that seems to work the way it used to. At least almost, because if you posted 10 times in a thread, the thread-title will show up 10 times. But that's only a minor disadvantage.

Thanks a lot! :clap:

George
2010-Apr-16, 01:36 PM
Images can be posted.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3760/sunplanetcolorcomposite.th.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/i/sunplanetcolorcomposite.jpg/)

I simply upload my images to ImageShack and paste the "Forum Thumbnail" into my post.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-16, 03:57 PM
Please, can someone in authority at least say if they care or not?

I care; I just can't do anything about it. I will give Fraser a nudge and see where we stand with this.

ToSeek
2010-Apr-16, 04:25 PM
I care; I just can't do anything about it. I will give Fraser a nudge and see where we stand with this.

Fraser says he's working on it.

Fraser
2010-Apr-16, 05:24 PM
Nudge successful. I think it's working now, but please check it out.

So, what are the outstanding things that need fixing. Not cosmetic issues, but actual broken functionality.

slang
2010-Apr-16, 05:44 PM
Nudge successful. I think it's working now, but please check it out.

So, what are the outstanding things that need fixing. Not cosmetic issues, but actual broken functionality.

Hooray, it works. I can see the filenames of older files, uploaded to the previous incarnation of the board, but the images themselves do not show up in the attachment manager, like magpie_reduced.jpg and also, files do not show up in old messages with attachments, like here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/97366-Backyard-Wildlife?p=1705404#post1705404). I'd call that broken, not cosmetic. Thanks!

andyschlei
2010-Apr-16, 05:44 PM
Test image post -- The Witch's Chin.

The nose and chin portion of IC 2118, the Witch Head Nebula (http://obsballona.net/coppermine/displayimage.php?pos=-197)

andyschlei
2010-Apr-16, 05:46 PM
Yaay! It works! :dance: :clap:

Thank you Fraser!

BetaDust
2010-Apr-16, 06:02 PM
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/5882/mw1s.th.jpg (http://img580.imageshack.us/i/mw1s.jpg/)

Great!!!

Thanks Fraser! :)

KaiYeves
2010-Apr-16, 09:14 PM
Yay! I can see my pictures again! Thanks, guys!

2010-Apr-16, 11:23 PM
Next maybe we can get the old links fixed. For instance this passage in the topic Rules For Posting To This Board (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=564845) has a broken link:

If you feel that someone has crossed the line and insulted you, please contact one of the moderators, preferably via the reporting mechanism described here (http://www.bautforum.com/1219198-post1.html), or by PM or email.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-16, 11:37 PM
that's the aftermath of the vBSEO piece of rubbish:(¨

chrlzs
2010-Apr-17, 07:35 AM
Next maybe we can get the old links fixed. For instance this passage in the topic Rules For Posting To This Board (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=564845) has a broken link:

Am I missing some deep complexity here? Isn't the forum really just one big database of messages (ok, slight simplification there..). What I mean is, why isn't this fixable with a 'search and replace' or a bit of script or code?

To be specific., in the example above, the broken link is:

http://www.bautforum.com/1219198-post1.html

The new, correct link would be:

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=1219198

Am I right? If so, can't you do a search and replace (or write a teensy bit of script/code) for anything that looks like the first example, and replace it with the second form? ...
OK, now I've taken this a bit further and investigated another (more complex) example:

Here's a current broken link to a post, rather than a thread:

http://www.bautforum.com/conspiracy-theories/101697-moon-rising-fake-ufos-debunked-they-craters.html#post1696399

What it needs to be (just a bit of swapping around required..):

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/101697-moon-rising-fake-ufos-debunked-they-craters?p=1696399#post1696399

Again, it seems to me that a little bit of work could easily identify all these links, and then correct them with a bit of fairly straightforward string manipulation.. I'd offer to help (used to do a lot of stuff like this) - trouble is my skills all date back to BASIC and dBase III.. (grin).

slang
2010-Apr-17, 09:04 AM
Am I missing some deep complexity here? Isn't the forum really just one big database of messages (ok, slight simplification there..). What I mean is, why isn't this fixable with a 'search and replace' or a bit of script or code?

Because a) that wouldn't do squat for links from other sites (we don't want all of those dead!) and b) that would be a quite massive search and replace!

A better solution will probably involve something at the webserver, like mod_rewrite (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_rewrite.html) or something.

chrlzs
2010-Apr-17, 10:03 AM
Because a) that wouldn't do squat for links from other sites (we don't want all of those dead!) and b) that would be a quite massive search and replace!

A better solution will probably involve something at the webserver, like mod_rewrite (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_rewrite.html) or something.

OK, fair enough on the first point.. But then they are all dead currently...

Yeah, it looks as though that mod-rewrite would probably do it. Frankly, any solution is going to be pretty ugly, but the status quo isn't very good..

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-17, 03:45 PM
... Again, it seems to me that a little bit of work could easily identify all these links, and then correct them with a bit of fairly straightforward string manipulation. ...
If the database were just a simple ascii-code based set of documents which could be accessed directly without any go-between, then it would indeed be a minimal task, at least for the internal BAUT links. I'll bet that many BAUT members would be able to write a routine for that in about five minutes.

My knowledge of data base servers is limited, but from what I know, the problem is that a MySQL database is somewhat more difficult to access. The usual route is via PHP, and as far as I know (and I may be very wrong), PHP lacks many of the string operators and or calls which make text manipulation so easy in some other languages. Apart from that, although it would probably be possible, it would certainly be SLOW.

The database, resp. the appropriate tables could theoretically be dumped as an ascii text via phpMyAdmin, run through a string manipulation routine and, and re-imported, but BAUT would have to close down for at least a day for that because it would lose the multi-user capacity.

Doing a complete search/replace at runtime would take a while.

Swift
2010-Apr-17, 08:28 PM
I have fixed the links in the Rules. I have also corrected the entry for Reporting Posts from red to black triangle and from upper right to lower left.

If people know of other broken links like that, let us know.

Strange
2010-Apr-17, 08:51 PM
The usual route is via PHP, and as far as I know (and I may be very wrong), PHP lacks many of the string operators and or calls which make text manipulation so easy in some other languages.

Actually, one of PHP's strengths (arguably, one of the few) is string handling. There is a very good regular expression match/replace library (actually, there are two IIRC - it is a couple of years since I did any PHP coding). But you are right, it wouldn't be the right way to do it, anyway.

chrlzs
2010-Apr-17, 09:54 PM
If the database were just a simple ascii-code based set of documents which could be accessed directly without any go-between, then it would indeed be a minimal task, at least for the internal BAUT links. I'll bet that many BAUT members would be able to write a routine for that in about five minutes.

My knowledge of data base servers is limited, but from what I know, the problem is that a MySQL database is somewhat more difficult to access. The usual route is via PHP, and as far as I know (and I may be very wrong), PHP lacks many of the string operators and or calls which make text manipulation so easy in some other languages. Apart from that, although it would probably be possible, it would certainly be SLOW.

The database, resp. the appropriate tables could theoretically be dumped as an ascii text via phpMyAdmin, run through a string manipulation routine and, and re-imported, but BAUT would have to close down for at least a day for that because it would lose the multi-user capacity.

Doing a complete search/replace at runtime would take a while.

Eeurgh! But thanks for that further explanation.

And as Slang pointed out, that won't help any links coming in from outside sites, where they have previously grabbed the once-working-but-now-dead links...

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-17, 10:00 PM
My knowledge of data base servers is limited, but from what I know, the problem is that a MySQL database is somewhat more difficult to access. The usual route is via PHP, and as far as I know (and I may be very wrong), PHP lacks many of the string operators and or calls which make text manipulation so easy in some other languages.
Depending on the install, and very likely in this case, PHP can have the regexp string manipulation functions from Perl, so the actual manipulation of the posts would be fairly simple and could run as a relatively low priority background job.
At one post per second it would take 19 days, if it starts at the youngest posts the vast majority of posts people actually see would be done in the first couple of hours.

That still won't solve the problem on the external links being broken, but to be honest, many of them were broken before the move too because of the stupid design of vBSEO.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-17, 10:15 PM
Depending on the install, and very likely in this case, PHP can have the regexp string manipulation functions from Perl, so the actual manipulation of the posts would be fairly simple and could run as a relatively low priority background job. ...
Sounds good, at least in that part.

Although I've done some slight work-overs of standíng PHP routines for a few of my websites, I'm not actively into PHP and had to rely on my private collection of hearsay for what I posted above.

However, I do tons of ascii-based text manipulation offline using various methods and am pretty sure that a great deal of the link problems could be solved given the post-vector tables etc. and some time. However, that's purely academic because any solution has to be done online at runtime.

Considering the size of the MySQL database, I'm guessing a low priority background job would run, hmm, a week or longer?**

[edit: **posted before Henrik added his time appraisal]

slang
2010-Apr-17, 10:25 PM
It might run a long time... only to discover that you've made some tiny little mistake that didn't take into consideration all possible substitutions, and now you're faced with a broken database, and months of fixing, if fixing is still possible, or returning to week old data, losing all new posts, or... suffice to say: horror.

"Live" translation is the key. At least the old forum names (as used by vbseo) could be fixed by a simple alias, or perhaps even a symlink. If that's safe of course.

ETA: the only real question (IMHO) is, whether that translation should be done at webserver or forum application level.

Trebuchet
2010-Apr-17, 10:46 PM
The "reply with quote" function is not working for me at the moment. Comes up with some of the icons stuffed over to the RH side of the screen. I"m not sure I've used it on this computer since the upgrade, however. Is it just me or are others seeing this?

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-17, 10:49 PM
Given what Fraser mentioned about the new server setup, I think it's actually fairly unlikely it can be done at the server level unless they have mod_rewrite enabled and allowed in .htaccess files.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-17, 10:59 PM
The "reply with quote" function is not working for me at the moment. Comes up with some of the icons stuffed over to the RH side of the screen. I"m not sure I've used it on this computer since the upgrade, however. Is it just me or are others seeing this?
I have that on one of my older computers which runs an older browser version.

Try a double click on "reply with quote" instread of a single click. That does it for me.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-17, 11:15 PM
It might run a long time... only to discover that you've made some tiny little mistake that didn't take into consideration all possible substitutions, and now you're faced with a broken database, and months of fixing, if fixing is still possible, or returning to week old data, losing all new posts, or... suffice to say: horror. ...
My normal solution for that would be to add strict criteria to the search/replacement routine and only replace instances in which the case is absolutely certain. Having do so, I like to tag processed instances as "fixed" with inert custom variables or command sequences to exclude them from future runs and make them easily searchable. That would probably fix up most of the internal links.

Further runs could narrow down the criteria. I.e., don't make the routine(s) too general. That could go on for months. Is there any real rush?

That could even be done parallel to a runtime translation hack, eventually making the hack obsolete. That hack could use the "fixed" tag as an "ignore" criterium.

The problem is that I don't know if using inert custom variables or command sequences as tags is possible in PHP.

However, it should be asked if it's worth fixing all external links. Lots of links in older posts are possibly dead anyway.

Trebuchet
2010-Apr-18, 02:04 AM
I have that on one of my older computers which runs an older browser version.

Try a double click on "reply with quote" instread of a single click. That does it for me.

Yes, that worked, and I'll have to remember it. Opens in a new window, instead of in the thread. Pretty annoying, however.