PDA

View Full Version : This Just IN

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-12, 09:17 PM
From the weekly world news I mean lol :lol:

Shocking Hubble Photos Reveals:Killer asteroid headed for earth in early August,Bush calls panic summit with world leaders

And if the texas sized rock does hit it would be as strong as a 60 000 nuclear warheads. Enough to blast a hole the size of the moon in North America and knock earth out of it's orbit around the sun, sending whats left of it hurtling into the icy airless vastness of space killing us all.

My personal favorite part:

At first we called it a "death star" for no other reason than it looked so big-we didnt really think it's trajectory would hold says a source in NASA's Washinton office.

So which one is it or is it actually named the Death Star. Tried looking it up on JPL and found nothing. :D

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-12, 09:28 PM
Well I kind of figure it aint true, or am I wrong

I am curious to where the newspaper would get that idea from, could it be something that was in the news recently moved around or do they just spin a wheel.

Drakheim
2004-Mar-12, 09:37 PM
Well I kind of figure it aint true, or am I wrong

I am curious to where the newspaper would get that idea from, could it be something that was in the news recently moved around or do they just spin a wheel.

Weekly World News is a tabloid. :P

ToSeek
2004-Mar-12, 09:42 PM
The WWN recently ran an article that claimed aliens were keeping the astronauts on the International Space Station from doing their work by knocking on the door and then running away.

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-12, 10:29 PM
I didn't see that article toseek.

but would it be possible that they got the idea from something else.

Or is that acurate would a asteroid the size of texas be able to knock the earth out of its orbit like that

Archer17
2004-Mar-12, 10:39 PM
I can't say if it would knock us out of orbit but we'd all be very dead bmbbmp. The WWN just makes that stuff up. A few years ago they ran a story about a new computer virus that could turn a PC into a bomb! #-o

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-12, 10:47 PM
If it was the size of texas coming by august wouldn't we be able to see it by telescope by now.

Nowhere Man
2004-Mar-12, 10:47 PM
The Weekly World News is, if possible, even less of an accurate news source than GLP. If you read anything in WWN, it's pretty safe to assume that it is 100% false. There may be exceptions, involving stories that belong in News of the Weird, but this rule of thumb is the way to go.

Fred

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-12, 11:11 PM
I think they are actually telling the truth check this out

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/mar/HQ_n04040_solar_object.html

gethen
2004-Mar-12, 11:23 PM
Does this mean Batboy is not real? I'm crushed.

jfribrg
2004-Mar-12, 11:38 PM
bmpbmp, you are working on the assumption that there must be some grain of truth in the story before a "newspaper" can publish it. Everything printed in these tabloids has to be treated as pure fiction. Any similarity to actual persons or events is entirely coincidental. Please tell me that you don't actually support such trash by buying it.

As an aside, the question about whether a texas sized rock could knock the Earth out of orbit is a legitimate one. No it will not knock us out of orbit, but that is a mute issue, since nobody would survive such an impact anyway (well, I guess there's a chance that the couple people on the ISS might survive a little longer, until some of the debris from the impact hits the station).

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-12, 11:41 PM
what about this then whats it about

Also why do you think they are hiding it from the public and only show it to the media.

What could it be,

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-12, 11:47 PM
ok you said this

until some of the debris from the impact hits the station).

So something the size of texas would then detroy the earth into tiny peices

Taibak
2004-Mar-13, 12:14 AM
ok you said this

until some of the debris from the impact hits the station).

So something the size of texas would then detroy the earth into tiny peices

No it wouldn't. What it would do is gouge out a huge crater and in doing so it would send a load of debris (both from the crater and from the asteroid) into orbit where it would run the risk of hitting the I.S.S.

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-13, 12:32 AM
oh ok I get it now thanks
but what about that link I posted above

Archer17
2004-Mar-13, 12:52 AM

Also why do you think they are hiding it from the public and only show it to the media.

What could it be,According to the release you cited (emphasis added):
Dr. Michael Brown, associate professor of planetary astronomy, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif. will present his discovery of the most distant object ever detected orbiting the sun. He and colleagues made the discovery as part of a NASA-funded research projectIf they wanted to "hide" something from the public, why in the blue-blazes would they brief the media? This probably has to do with the recent discovery of 2004DW (http://www.planetary.org/news/2004/2004dw.html). You'll notice Dr. Brown was involved. My advice: Don't believe rags like the WNN and in the immortal words of Dgruss23 .. Remain Calm.

TrAI
2004-Mar-13, 01:04 AM

What could it be,

Hmmm... Hiding it from the public? Press conferences is the usual way to make something of scientific nature known to the public, isn't it?...

By the way Weekly world news is not a serious news site, it is meant as entertainment, the stories are jokes. they run some parodies of stories in the media, or conspiracy stories some times.. The stories have been known to spread onto serious news pages/papers some times(I believe Yahoo! news puts them in their entertainment section, and so some newspapers have failed to realize the source of the story).

tlbs101
2004-Mar-13, 01:04 AM
That object discovered by the Spitzer telescope is touted as the "most distant object " ever discovered orbiting the sun.

That doesn't sound like any doomsday asteroid, to me!

Maksutov
2004-Mar-13, 02:25 AM
Saw the current edition of the Weekly World News while buying some groceries today. The lead article on the front page was:

STRANGE NEW SPECIES OF CATS FOUND ON MARS!

accompanied by a photograph of some hairless cats that had be "digitally modified". Would have picked it up but did not have the urge to blow my nose at that time. 8)

AGN Fuel
2004-Mar-13, 02:54 AM
There are no asteroids the size of Texas, at least in the Asteroid belt between Mars & Jupiter. Ceres is the largest asteroid with a diameter of ~960km.

Did you read that statement before you posted it? :-s

Also, what precisely is there in that NASA release to which you provided the link, that in any way supports the guff in that tabloid rag?

(By the way, if we were to get hit by an asteroid the size of Texas, then for the very short duration of the rest of your life, you will be wishing that you had been hit by 60,000 nuclear warheads - they'd be a whole lot less destructive.)

Grand_Lunar
2004-Mar-13, 03:18 AM
Saw the current edition of the Weekly World News while buying some groceries today. The lead article on the front page was:

STRANGE NEW SPECIES OF CATS FOUND ON MARS!

accompanied by a photograph of some hairless cats that had be "digitally modified". Would have picked it up but did not have the urge to blow my nose at that time. 8)

Eegads! I just saw that same article today, this evening. Suprised they didn't claim it was Garfield, since that funny, fat feline has a movie coming out. Didn't pick up the paper, though. We have a good stock of toilet paper on board the ship. Besides, my stomach hasn't been feeling all to well. Do they carry Pepto Bismal on the ISS? :-&

tngolfplayer
2004-Mar-13, 04:08 AM
I ran across this on GLP earlier today. Of course you can guess what they are claiming it is. I swear, they must have people that sit on websites constantly hitting the refresh button sometimes. #-o

Staiduk
2004-Mar-13, 06:33 AM
And if the texas sized rock does hit it would be as strong as a 60 000 nuclear warheads. Enough to blast a hole the size of the moon in North America and knock earth out of it's orbit around the sun, sending whats left of it hurtling into the icy airless vastness of space killing us all.

Ain't those the exact numbers used in the movie 'Armaged-damnthisisdumb'?
Wonder if they were able to get a quote from Bruce Willis. :lol:

snabald
2004-Mar-13, 02:50 PM
Two things:

The article says
Dr. Michael Brown, associate professor of planetary astronomy, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif. will present his discovery of the most distant object ever detected orbiting the sun.

I don't think we need to worry about it hitting earth.

and WWN stole my idea!!!!
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/b/a/baldwin_sa/graphics/mars_kitten.jpg

frogesque
2004-Mar-13, 06:38 PM
bmpbmp wrote:

From the weekly world news I mean lol

Quote:
Shocking Hubble Photos Reveals:Killer asteroid headed for earth in early August,Bush calls panic summit with world leaders

Hmm... checks date ... Nup! Not 1st. April yet so I guess we have yet another scaremongering, circulation boosting, looney bin headline.

Sigh!!

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-13, 06:53 PM
My favorite tabloid stories had the following headlines:

Hubble Space Telescope Discovers Location of Heaven!

and

Hubble Space Telescope Finds Galaxy in the shape of a Fetus!

I had those up over my desk at the lab for a couple of years.

Kaptain K
2004-Mar-14, 10:11 AM
I liked one that said a WWII bomber had been found on the Moon. Picture was obviously "cut and pasted", since it (the bomber) spanned a major named crater (Tycho?) and therefore was tens of kilometers across!

zebo-the-fat
2004-Mar-14, 06:04 PM
hurtling into the icy airless vastness of space
Help! not AIRLESS space! 8-[

jest
2004-Mar-14, 07:56 PM
It would kill WWN to put up a disclaimer on their paper stating that they have writers who just fire this stuff off without any use of common sense. Also, they should state that they DO NOT own a copy of Photoshop, and that they actually use the Windows in-house paint program to do all their cutting and pasting.. lol.

I would have thought that the 1950's looking cut and pastes would tip people off that what they're reading is as solid as the air we breathe...