PDA

View Full Version : Good Golly, Those Giant Envelope Icons Are Distracting!

Squink
2010-Mar-31, 02:00 AM
It's difficult to even find the thread titles behind the glitz right now.
Perhaps once the move to 4.0.2 is complete and stable, someone could figure how to tone those down a touch? I come here to read threads, not to be awed by latest gadgety WYSIWIGery fad objects.

-Thanks

peter eldergill
2010-Mar-31, 02:10 AM
Is there even a link to Phil's blog or Universe Today anywhere or am I blind?

Pete

Fraser
2010-Mar-31, 02:34 AM
No, we've got the basic default forum right now.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 02:46 AM
Wait and see when Fraser gets the banner up - the links were embedded in the graphic previously, from memory. I imagine it'll be the same. In the meantime there's always Fraser's signature for UT.

TrAI
2010-Mar-31, 02:46 AM
It's difficult to even find the thread titles behind the glitz right right.
Perhaps once the move to 4.0.2 is complete and stable, someone could figure how to tone those down a touch? I come here to read threads, not to be awed by latest gadgety WYSIWIGery fad objects.

-Thanks

Yes, they are annoying. But then the whole interface seems poorly designed.

When I use the board one of the most important parts is the list of subscribed threads, Before I could just use the "User CP" link, but now there is three ways to get to it(as i have found this far); all the way at the top there is the "settings" this replaces the old "User CP" but is separate from the main access functions by being that far up, I could use the "Private messages", but then I have to select the subscribed threads, and that adds extra steps, I also can use the "quick links" menu, but that is a bit cumbersome too, three ways to access, all involving more work...

And is it just me, or is the link icon for going to the newest reply to a thread even smaller than before, I never understood why it was so small in the old days, but this is silly, it is a critical forum function, why make it so small, even the link to the last posters profile is larger, even though why I would want to go to the posters profile before reading the post I can't understand. Oh, and a "go to first new post" would be nice

Basically this interface design seem to provide easier access to things I might never or rarely use, like the show all new threads thing, the calendar and the show private messages. I mean, do I really need to have direct access to the calendar thing? it should be a sub item in a menu. And who reads the FAQ on a daily basis? :cry:

I see there seems to be a function for adding alternate styles or something, perhaps it would be possible to add some other styles?

tdvance
2010-Mar-31, 04:01 AM
Too bad the "big envelopes" aren't something you can click on to, say, go to first unread post--would be a bigger target than the tiny little ">>".

Glom
2010-Mar-31, 10:03 AM
Criticising the envelopes is heresy. All will love the envelopes!

TrAI
2010-Mar-31, 11:05 AM
Too bad the "big envelopes" aren't something you can click on to, say, go to first unread post--would be a bigger target than the tiny little ">>".
Yes, that might be an idea, if it could be implemented...

Criticising the envelopes is heresy. All will love the envelopes!
Hmmm... I see, so the whole hacking thing was actually an staged event, an excuse for installing the new version so as to let the envelope overlords take over in one swoop. So by the time we figured it out it was no longer important whether or not we welcomed them? :eek: :( :evil:

:p

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 01:52 PM
Now that's the BAUT spirit we know and love!

I notice the background is once again devoid of stars. You Apollo-believers are always busy covering your tracks. ;)

Argos
2010-Mar-31, 03:11 PM
Im pretty sure the icons can be resized and uploaded back to some ../images directory.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-31, 04:01 PM
And will then likely be overwritten by the next update.
I'm sure it's problems in the past with something like that, that's making Fraser say he won't adjust anything apart from the top image.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not stalking you, my comment has nothing to do with who made the post, only with its content.

Glom
2010-Mar-31, 06:48 PM
I'm now looking at the site through a proper browser and I have to say, I like it.

Argos
2010-Mar-31, 10:24 PM
Disclaimer: No, I'm not stalking you, my comment has nothing to do with who made the post, only with its content.

Lol, Easy. Its a pleasure to be involved in a conversation with you. Actually, I admire you [have I said that?]. ;)

Spoons
2010-Apr-01, 01:54 AM
Get a room and draw the curtains! ;)