PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection issues

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 06:20 AM
Hi all.

I work in a hotel and we I'm having an odd issue with a guest's tablet PC. It's running windows XP and had both Firefox and IE on it.

When it was first turned on, it went to the 169 IP address, rather than the 192 we have in the hotel. I manually configured it to work on our network and it still won't go. But that's not the odd bit.

The odd bit is that both IE and Firefox crash to the send error screen. I don't even get a browser window to tell me there was no connection.

Any ideas?

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 02:20 PM
Have you attempted to do a ipconfig release/renew on it? Are you on a wireless or wired connection.

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 02:27 PM
Yup. We did a Release/Renew, and tried the Repair button. When we plugged it in to a ethernet cable, it found a valid IP though DHCP, but the browsers still crashed on start up. I tried to load Chrome, but without internet access, it wouldn't install.

I'm wondering if it has some sort of spyware that damaged the registry keys for FF/IE at this point. It should at least load a browser window.

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 03:03 PM
Ok try doing a 'netstat' to see if you have anything accessing your connection. I've see the same years ago when the sasser virus came out. If you get constant connections then you have a worm. if you have a flash drive you could also download the installers for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Firefox to install on the other machine. Can you ping out from the computer?

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 03:28 PM
I can ping the loop back but that's it.

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 03:36 PM
What happens when you put "netstat -a" in you command screen?

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 04:09 PM
Not a clue. I won't be at work for another 13 hours, and then there is no guarantee he'll come down.

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 04:16 PM
:doh: I missed that it was a guests machine......

Tog
2010-Mar-31, 04:29 PM
No worries. I appreciate the help. My searches weren't really turning up anything.

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 04:31 PM
If it was your computer and you're not shy about messing around with some of the settings I was going to suggest doing a winsock repair. I used to work as a tech for a local ISP and took care of connection issues all the time.

Tog
2010-Apr-02, 07:48 AM
He left it at the desk for me tonight. With 23% battery and no AC cord. I ran netstat -a and it came back with several items listed as "listening" and about a dozen with no status at all.

I was able to install Malwarebytes on it but before I could open it, it went into hibernation.

The thing is also freaky slow. There is a lag that lasts up to 10 seconds before commands are recognized. I don't know if that's because of the type of machine that it is, or if it's part of the problem. It's basically a PSP that runs XP. You hold like a PSP and work the mouse with your right thumb and click with your left. It may be that it never fully finished booting.

Tog
2010-Apr-03, 09:24 AM
Okay, I got the power cord tonight. I ran MWB and it found two things it was able to remove.

Then I put a fresh Firefox install on it, and hardwired it tot he hub, and it works. The first thing it did was download IE8, so I installed that as well. I also updated his AVG definitions. When it's plugged in to the router, it works great.

Wireless, I still can't ping the gateway.

rommel543
2010-Apr-05, 03:19 PM
He left it at the desk for me tonight. With 23% battery and no AC cord. I ran netstat -a and it came back with several items listed as "listening" and about a dozen with no status at all..

That sounds about right for a system that hasn't been cleaned for quite some time. The listening are applications or services sitting on a port waiting for an incoming connection. Kind of like MSN waiting for a message. The no status are application that require internet access but are not "actively" using it (i.e. Outlook). With the system being slow and no internet connection I was thinking that the person may have a worm or trojan spawner. You would have seen hundreds of connections or a never ending list when you ran the network status command.

Okay, I got the power cord tonight. I ran MWB and it found two things it was able to remove.

Then I put a fresh Firefox install on it, and hardwired it tot he hub, and it works. The first thing it did was download IE8, so I installed that as well. I also updated his AVG definitions. When it's plugged in to the router, it works great.

Wireless, I still can't ping the gateway.

Sounds good that you got it working directly to the hub, you now know that the system is capable of accessing the internet. Did you check the TCP/IP settings on the wireless to see if they have manually entered a DNS or static IP? Is the gateway showing up in the list of available networks?

Tog
2010-Apr-05, 03:34 PM
If I set it DHCP, I get and IP address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, rather than the 192.168.1.xxx that it should be. When I wet the IP to manual and copy over all the settings from a computer that works (except the IP address), it says it connected to the hub, but it can't receive anything. Pinging the gateway timed out.

I can see the network on the list, but I can't get any packets from it. At this point, I'm thinking that the radio is bad, but that doesn't explain why it can see th networks.

rommel543
2010-Apr-05, 03:50 PM
If I set it DHCP, I get and IP address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, rather than the 192.168.1.xxx that it should be. When I wet the IP to manual and copy over all the settings from a computer that works (except the IP address), it says it connected to the hub, but it can't receive anything. Pinging the gateway timed out.

It's just being given the internal system IP because it's not connected to a network. Pinging the router won't work unless you're connected to it (and if the ping response is disabled it still won't get a a reply).

I can see the network on the list, but I can't get any packets from it. At this point, I'm thinking that the radio is bad, but that doesn't explain why it can see th networks.

Well if you can see the gateway then you should be able to connect unless it's being blocked or the laptop doesn't have the proper protocols installed. I have an old laptop that is running a B type connection and my wireless was set to only accepting G and N. Correcting was as simple as changing the setting on the wireless, but it was causing an issue like you were describing. I could see the gateway but not connect. Check the device manager or system info to find out what type of wireless it has.

You could also try re-installing the wireless driver.

Is it an open gateway or password protected? If it's password protected and using AES2/WEP2 an older system my not have the support installed for it. I had to update the driver for the old wireless B system.