PDA

View Full Version : Forum upgrade!

jokergirl
2010-Mar-31, 07:39 AM
The forum looks somewhat uncomfortably Facebook to me now... What do you think?

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 07:44 AM
For now I like it. Change is fun.

But my opinion may change over time too, which is also fun.

cjl
2010-Mar-31, 07:47 AM
To be honest, I am not a fan. It feels cluttered, and harder to read.

jokergirl
2010-Mar-31, 07:58 AM
It does feel harder to read, doesn't it? It's all shades of greyish-blue now, where before it was nice bright blues.
There's no setting to switch to other skins either - only default skin available.
I don't really mind change, but I wish there was at least a way to change the colours.

Nice new facebookish friends options, and a bit smoother reply and other forum tools, though.

Oh, and you might want to look at the privacy options in your profile - I know most of you don't keep anything there and it was public before too, but now there's more detailed options available as to who sees what, and it's all public by default.

;)

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Mar-31, 08:05 AM
Except for the sudden increase in spam postings, i kinda like the new format.

geonuc
2010-Mar-31, 08:45 AM
I don't care for it so far. While I understand the need to upgrade features and such, why must all software upgrades go further and try to change to a new look? For instance - and this is minor but illustrative - why is the report triangle now in the lower left and black? What was wrong with upper right and red?

slang
2010-Mar-31, 10:02 AM
It's a little too flashy for my taste. It will take some getting used to, to get to the point again where one quick glance is enough to take in all the info.

gzhpcu
2010-Mar-31, 10:46 AM
Me, I like it...:)

TrAI
2010-Mar-31, 10:55 AM
Can't say I like it.

But we can always hope the style will be adapted or an alternative one put in later, after all the install was more an emergency measure then a planed thing.

jokergirl
2010-Mar-31, 11:00 AM
Can't say I like it.

But we can always hope the style will be adapted or an alternative one put in later, after all the install was more an emergency measure then a planed thing.

Was it? What happened?

BetaDust
2010-Mar-31, 11:04 AM
Was it? What happened?

See thread: BAUT forum problems 2010-03-30 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/102548-BAUT-forum-problems-2010-03-30)

-- Dennis

jrkeller
2010-Mar-31, 11:18 AM
It's OK. I do like the fact that some features like bold are more easily useable.

pipedream
2010-Mar-31, 11:19 AM
My first reaction is that I don't like it either.

However, it's probably going to be similar to when I tried out a new online poker site just recently. Everything was the same, but just slightly different at the same time - buttons in a different place, strange slider options, different colour schemes etc - and it made the first few hours of play very disconcerting and I certainly didn't play my best. However, within a few days, I got used to it, and more importantly, my eyes got used to looking quickly at the new relevant areas of the screen to automatically take in the necessary information. I'm sure it will be the same here.

Taeolas
2010-Mar-31, 11:23 AM
Mostly ambivalent; but it does feel 'faded' to me when I look at it. If the screens/layout were brighter/less washed out I would probably like it more.

Donnie B.
2010-Mar-31, 11:27 AM
I haven't voted, but my initial impressions are mixed.

On the pro side, it seems like a nice clean look (though the muted colors are pretty bland). The text seems smaller on this machine, though; I had to do a Ctrl+ to make it comparable to the old font.

On the con side, I seem to have lost a key feature: the ability to quickly get to a list of my subscribed threads with new posts. That was two clicks away from any page under the old format. So far, I can't get such a list at all (that I've found); the only thing close is a selection on the "Quick Links" drop-down menu that gets me a list of all subscribed threads (not just the ones with new posts)... and I don't think that menu is available on every page.

TrAI
2010-Mar-31, 11:30 AM
I haven't voted, but my initial impressions are mixed.

On the pro side, it seems like a nice clean look (though the muted colors are pretty bland). The text seems smaller on this machine, though; I had to do a Ctrl+ to make it comparable to the old font.

On the con side, I seem to have lost a key feature: the ability to quickly get to a list of my subscribed threads with new posts. That was two clicks away from any page under the old format. So far, I can't get such a list at all (that I've found); the only thing close is a selection on the "Quick Links" drop-down menu that gets me a list of all subscribed threads (not just the ones with new posts)... and I don't think that menu is available on every page.

You can use the "settings" link all the way up on top of the page, beside the "logout", it is similar to the "user cp" thing on the old version.

Donnie B.
2010-Mar-31, 11:40 AM
You can use the "settings" link all the way up on top of the page, beside the "logout", it is similar to the "user cp" thing on the old version.

Thanks!

I just found that same hint in the "VBulletin 4 upgrade" thread, which is worth a read. It's in the About BAUT" section. So far it seems we're going to be stuck with the default format and colors.

jokergirl
2010-Mar-31, 12:04 PM
See thread: BAUT forum problems 2010-03-30 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/102548-BAUT-forum-problems-2010-03-30)

-- Dennis

Thanks! I couldn't find it.

I still think that the contrast is a lot lower than before - if I could at least change the colours of the theme I'd like it a lot more. (I would probably make it green - much easier on the eyes and in theme with Spring!)

;)

Ilya
2010-Mar-31, 12:11 PM
Utterly hate it. In fact, may drop out of BAUT altogether. I am serious.

Also, when I tried to log on, I got a Microsoft warning that "www.bautforum.com has been reported as unsafe". How did that come about?

Glom
2010-Mar-31, 12:19 PM
Utterly hate it. In fact, may drop out of BAUT altogether. I am serious.

Also, when I tried to log on, I got a Microsoft warning that "www.bautforum.com has been reported as unsafe". How did that come about?

That may be a result of the attack.

Eta C
2010-Mar-31, 12:41 PM
I'm not seeing any change in the font size, and at my age I'd notice that. I managed to find the renamed user CP without too much difficulty as well. My feeling is that after a brief adjustment to where the various functions are I'll be fine. Aesthetically, I don't see much difference.

Larry Jacks
2010-Mar-31, 01:18 PM
I find it harder to read and my security software is reporting a HTTP exploit problem. Sounds like the site may be infected with something.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 01:22 PM
I doubt it is. I've tried it on a very solid connection at work and a trusted connection at home.

I am still very strongly in favour of a second setting which has bolder text for those who feel it's necessary or for when you've had a couple. It does seem a little more difficult when at home and less focused. It probably only requires a change of default font though, quite frankly.

Hornblower
2010-Mar-31, 01:31 PM
Just testing to make sure my avatar works.

Argos
2010-Mar-31, 01:38 PM
Uncomfortable at first glance. But I know weŽll end up adapting.

Thanks to the crew.

megrfl
2010-Mar-31, 01:44 PM
Oveall the site seems muted, which strangely makes it a little hard to read?? I thought it would be gentler on the eyes.
There are several things to be happy about; we don't have the option to use in motion, flashing Avatars, we don't have a black background, we didn't get additional emoticons, and Fraser was able to recover the site without loss of info. and etc. Everything seems to be intact. :)

Dgennero
2010-Mar-31, 01:50 PM
My reaction to any new design is usually confusion - all I see is clutter everywhere.
But I'll get used to it - this is just a reaction to seeing something different from the pattern I have been used to.

slang
2010-Mar-31, 02:01 PM
I find it harder to read and my security software is reporting a HTTP exploit problem. Sounds like the site may be infected with something.

It was, for a short while, yesterday. This may have led some security companies to (automatically) put it on some warning list. AFAIK there is no more ongoing trouble of the security kind.

ETA: I just learned that there are now problems when not logged in. As I keep my session logged in I missed that.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-31, 02:08 PM
I doubt it is. I've tried it on a very solid connection at work and a trusted connection at home.
I've just confirmed a minor attack code snippet on the front page, only there when you're not logged in.
Pulled down without using a browser on a FreeBSD machine, so it's definitely present, though the exploit is trying to access a non-existing file.

It's basically an iframe (which is normally intended to embed info from another website and is in itself quite useful), pointing to a website (searchimagweb.org) that's registered by the antivirus companies as hosting malware, so the URL of the website itself was enough to trigger the warning. Which I found out when I googled it, Norton's webpage about the site triggers warnings because the host name is mentioned.

ETA Looks like it's gone now.

Spoons
2010-Mar-31, 02:11 PM
Ah, yes. I just saw you mention it in another thread. Thanks.

That makes sense, as I set mine up to auto-login so I suppose I wouldn't see it.

Swift
2010-Mar-31, 02:15 PM
Just so people know, there are multiple on-going threads in About BAUT (both "Rules" and "Feedback") about the upgrade. If you have specific complaints, suggestions, or problems (like the virus warnings) please check there first - there are probably threads about it. It would be best if you try to put serious comments in one of those threads.

Thanks all.

MAPNUT
2010-Mar-31, 02:16 PM
I agree it's too pale, and too spread-out. I can only see two posts at a time.

ngc3314
2010-Mar-31, 02:17 PM
I'm not at all taken with the color scheme. There seems to be a trend in multiple forums for upgrades to go to more muted color schemes, which at the age of my eyes I find seriously impacts legibility. There is another whole darker half to the available palette, and contrast may often be used to good effect to make things easy to distinguish.

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 02:18 PM
I'm not 100% sure on my feelings of the new forum. I do know that I had to try logging in 4 times before it accepted my password. I was getting nervous about the whole 5 tries thing

Moose
2010-Mar-31, 02:27 PM
It's the icon sizes and locations, I think. The muted colors aren't helping either. In the thread view, the oversized icons are dragging the eyes away from the thread titles. In-thread, the problem is that the new location of the avatars, in the same column as the posting text, are dragging the eyes away from the posting text. The extra width to the text area isn't helping legibility either.

Even allowing for my usual OCD-driven resistance to change, the old format was cleaner and much easier to read.

Fazor
2010-Mar-31, 02:36 PM
I'm not at all taken with the color scheme.

I'm not 100% sure on my feelings of the new forum. I do know that I had to try logging in 4 times before it accepted my password. I was getting nervous about the whole 5 tries thing

It's the icon sizes and locations, I think

Multi-quote button FTW! Although when snipping out parts of quote's I'll have to be careful not to miss the mark and merge one person's quote into someone else's thus attributing it to the wrong poster. But it'll certainly be handy!

(ETA: Oh, and I just picked the last three posts to multi-quote, I'm not necessarily agreeing with, or disagreeing with, the things in those quotes. Just testing the feature.)

Siguy
2010-Mar-31, 02:45 PM
I have mixed feelings. I do feel that BAUT has needed new skin for a long time now, however now it looks just a little too clean and generic. Of course, back when everyone was using the last version of vBulletin and its skin, it must have looked pretty generic too.

The white color is what really throws me off. I think it should be darkened a bit, with a blue hue similar to what we had before.

The logo also looks really ugly next to the new skin, especially due to the JPEG compression. I don't remember who made it but perhaps they should redesign it.

jokergirl
2010-Mar-31, 02:49 PM

Eee, Hannelore icon! I have a Marigold icon, I should use it.

;)

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 03:07 PM
Eee, Hannelore icon! I have a Marigold icon, I should use it.

;)

I just started reading QC. Took me four days to read through them all. I love Hannelore and her quirkiness. I also like the Dune references peppered through out the series. :D

jokergirl
2010-Mar-31, 03:09 PM
Hee, my favourite character is Marigold, I relate a lot to her. (Though I do have a boyfriend, and pride myself on showering regularly)

;)

John Jaksich
2010-Mar-31, 03:15 PM
I generally like it--don't use Microsoft or Macintosh---but seems to load slower. Maybe my vid card needs another upgrade.

Otherwise: Change is good ---just like Calculus---it gets better as long as you use it and add to it.

rommel543
2010-Mar-31, 03:19 PM
I was explaining the comic to my wife and when I described Martin she just looked at me and said "hmmmm sounds familiar".

Gillianren
2010-Mar-31, 07:57 PM
I dislike it. The colour scheme is not my biggest problem; I think it's working too hard to be shiny. It would make more sense if those enormous envelope icons did something, and the colours aren't any kind of helpful in the way I think they think they are. There's too much blank space. The line between post and signature is so thin as to almost not exist.

I do like having multi-quote, though.

Siguy
2010-Mar-31, 08:30 PM
Perhaps we should actually try a custom skin for once? I'm not sure how much vBulletin differs from other forum software, but I think you can do everything via the admin CP.

Fazor
2010-Mar-31, 08:32 PM
As far as skins; I always think I'm over the "blue and white" scheme. Bah, it's too common! I'm bored with it! Etc etc. Then I visit a forum with a different color scheme. Ugh. I haven't seen any other colors that I don't completely hate.

Siguy
2010-Mar-31, 08:37 PM
Is white text on a dark background less readable than black text on white background? I think it would be nice to have something along the lines of an "astro" theme.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Mar-31, 08:43 PM
Is white text on a dark background less readable than black text on white background?
Definitely more eyestrain.

For eyestrain I remember reading that the best light on dark combination is actually yellow on darkish blue, where there's strong color contrast while the intensity contrast is less, which makes for readability without eyestrain.

slang
2010-Mar-31, 09:35 PM
Perhaps we should actually try a custom skin for once? I'm not sure how much vBulletin differs from other forum software, but I think you can do everything via the admin CP.

I think it's not so much a matter of what's possible, but more of "what will be the consequences". In my experience custom skins tend to cause problems with upgrades. Only default skins are upgraded with new forum versions. Not sure if that applies to vBulletin skins though.

Moose
2010-Mar-31, 09:44 PM
For eyestrain I remember reading that the best light on dark combination is actually yellow on darkish blue, where there's strong color contrast while the intensity contrast is less, which makes for readability without eyestrain.

I've always favored cyan on dark blue for coding. It's not pretty (or manly), but it was legible and I could code all day without any eyestrain at all.

mugaliens
2010-Apr-01, 08:41 AM
It works. Functionality over form.