PDA

View Full Version : mass and electromagnatism in a black hole

Copernicus
2010-Mar-31, 04:53 PM
Do mass and electromagnatism have the same point at which they cannot escape the gravity of a black hole?

tusenfem
2010-Mar-31, 05:31 PM
THE point of no return is the event horizon.

blueshift
2010-Mar-31, 09:29 PM
The same point or the same property?

neilzero
2010-Apr-01, 06:37 AM
I picture several concentric event horizons, of only slightly different radius. 1 Light cannot escape. Electromagnetic radiation is light with a higher or lower frequency than visable light. Do you mean something else by "electromagnetism"? 2 Matter moving less than 0.9999c cannot escape. Nearly all the matter inside the event horizon is moving slower, or traveling inward rather than outward. 3 Radio active isotopes decay while outward bound just inside the event horizon. The particle emissions penetrate the event horizon, but are decelerated rapidly, so they fall back in within a second or two. This analysis applies mostly to super massive black holes where the gravity is comparatively weak at the event horizon, and the interior just inside the event horizon has low density? Solar mass black holes are likely really crowded with super hot ions (or hot degenerate matter which may not be radioactive) even just inside the event horizon. 4 A neutrino event horizon 5 A tachyon event horizon, if there are any tachyons. Neil

astromark
2010-Apr-01, 08:10 AM
Thats just what I was going to say... :eh: ya right.
So each velocity has a different event horizon.. Yes I agree...
But I do have a question for you... In the plasma soup of a super massive black hole does the state of mater change. If that is a yes and I do think so. Then does that destroy the electro magnetic imbalance a charged particle might have had. I am trying to say that at some point in the guts of your gravity well (The black hole ) The structure of matter is changed. Broken down to a super hot plasma of massive density.

tusenfem
2010-Apr-01, 08:17 AM
Thats just what I was going to say... :eh: ya right.
So each velocity has a different event horizon.. Yes I agree...

NO, there is only ONE event horizon, which is defined as the location where the escape velocity is at light speed, period, final, no more. Anything else is ATM and you should take and defend it there.

But I do have a question for you... In the plasma soup of a super massive black hole does the state of mater change. If that is a yes and I do think so. Then does that destroy the electro magnetic imbalance a charged particle might have had. I am trying to say that at some point in the guts of your gravity well (The black hole ) The structure of matter is changed. Broken down to a super hot plasma of massive density.

Would that be inside a black hole? We don't know the state of matter there, the furthest that we have come up with is the inside of a neutron star.
What kind of "electro magnetic imbalance" may a particle have?
Basically, our equations of state do not work at pressures greater than inside a neutron star, maybe the energy will be so high that neutrons fall apart and we get a compressed quark "plasma" maybe there will be green cheese.