PDA

View Full Version : Was Guy De Maupassant a great writer?

tashirosgt
2010-Apr-01, 05:21 PM
Was Guy De Maupassant a great writer? (Or more humbly, What was the nature of his greatness?.)

I can only read his work in translation. However, it is evident that his short stories contain long passages where "the narrator" makes observations on society and the characters of the story. When the characters finally speak for themselves they don't have the burden of revealing their own nature to the reader. Most of the characters are mere caricatures, so they don't have much to reveal. Yet his plots are first rate, usually simple and ironic.

Some critics have described his style as "effortless". Yes, it requires less effort to let the narrator declare all the background information and have the characters only speak a few lines relevant to the plot. Perhaps his greatness is that he picked the style that is appropriate to his plots.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-01, 09:09 PM
I enjoy his writing, I just don't like his story lines.

As I recall, he has a recurring undertone that is sometimes difficult for heterosexuals to relate to, if you take my meaning.

TheHalcyonYear
2010-Apr-01, 09:43 PM
yes he was. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. I think that alone makes him great.