PDA

View Full Version : Server Move Tonight - April 1st, 2010

Fraser
2010-Apr-01, 08:59 PM
Let's get this out of the way... it's not an April Fool's Joke. :-)

Part 1 of the big upgrade was to move to vBulletin 4. Thanks to yesterday's fun, that was fast tracked.

So now Part 2, moving servers. We're going to be moving over to the Cloud server environment at Rackspace. I've done some testing and it seems to be working well in its new home, so now I'm going to make the move tonight.

I'll be closing the site down briefly to export out the database, and then I'll import it in the new location. It'll then take about 2 days for everyone's DNS to switch over to the new location. But you'll be able to access the site using a temporary address immediately.

Once I start the import, the old BAUT forum will live on for a couple of hours. Nothing will be stored or saved, but we'll keep it running so you can make your disposable comments. Then when the import is complete in the new location, I'll close the old location permanently.

And if everything goes haywire, we'll still have the old server to retreat to.

Thanks, stay tuned.

megrfl
2010-Apr-01, 10:32 PM
Farewell old BAUT forum. It will take a couple of hours for you to peter out, but you will live on in my memory for as long as I live. :)

I hope I'm not being overly dramatic.

chrissy
2010-Apr-01, 10:46 PM
'Twas a good ship to sail in.

kleindoofy
2010-Apr-01, 10:56 PM
... It'll then take about 2 days for everyone's DNS to switch over to the new location. But you'll be able to access the site using a temporary address immediately. ...
Will we be able to circumvent the DNS and access the forum directly via http://67.228.209.250, or will the IP change when it goes into the Cloud?

Fraser
2010-Apr-01, 11:26 PM
The IP will change. You'll be able to access the old address through its IP address but it will be trying to forward you over to the location of bautforum.com.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Apr-02, 12:54 AM
So what do mean by disposable comments. Can we finally say bleep the bleeply bleep.

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 03:52 AM
When I do the final dump of the database, nothing else will be preserved from that point on, until it's moved over. So things that you say, secrets you reveal, will wink out from computers around the world as the DNS propagates.

ABR.
2010-Apr-02, 03:53 AM
So what do mean by disposable comments. Can we finally say bleep the bleeply bleep.

It means that this is Liberty Hall, gentlefolk -- you can spit on the mat and call the cat a bass.

Or something like that.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Apr-02, 03:57 AM
hmmm....

Fraser
2010-Apr-02, 04:28 AM
Not yet, though... this is still on the record.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-02, 09:33 AM
And comments here on the new site are recorded.

Sticks
2010-Apr-02, 10:21 AM
So are all the old posts being deleted :eh:

How will this affect post count?

WaxRubiks
2010-Apr-02, 12:08 PM
is it too late to reveal that I am really from another planet(Transylvania)?

mugaliens
2010-Apr-02, 10:14 PM
is it too late to reveal that I am really from another planet(Transylvania)?

So long as you're still doing the time warp, you should be ok, but if you haven't done it in a while, you'll have to do it again.