PDA

View Full Version : ISS Under Construction on NASA TV

Chip
2002-Apr-16, 02:59 AM
I recently saw some scenes over the NASA feed to our local "Public Access" cable channel of the installation of struts and metal braces to the ISS.

Now, they have a camera mounted on top of the Astronaut's helmets during space walks -- you see an Astronaut's-eye-view with their arms out stretched from both sides of the screen. It's as if you are "there"! In one sequence, I could see the power tool in his gloved hand, the part he's working on, the solar panel beyond (it's big)! --some of the ISS, and the planet Earth below! WAY COOL!

I post this here to also mention that due to the extreme brightness of earth, the ISS, and the Astronaut's while spacesuit arms, NO STARS can be seen at all in the inky black sky. Again proof that stars are too faint to be seen when a bright reflected light surface is near and the video camera is not set or designed to see light that faint. So those Hoax Believer's are going to have to disbelieve every space walk they see too! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

kucharek
2002-Apr-16, 08:29 AM
Just look at all these beautiful shots with the DSC available in the gallery at http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/

And, there are photos with showing stars: Sometimes on the Stars and Stripes, and sometimes the Sun - a star.

Jiggs
2002-Apr-18, 02:22 AM
The ISS is one of the best kept secrets of the past three or four years. The news media is not interested however NASA has all the shuttle flights and ISS logs posted at http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/spacenews/reports/index.html. The model industry giants suchas Ravel are uninterested. Only one model is out there and that one is not very accurate. They have misnamed the venture calling it "Alpha" when it should be called the "Freedom - Mir2" to recognize the early initiatives of Russia and Ronald Reagan of all people. Al Gore should get some credit for this adventure for his efforts of getting the Russians on board. Without the Mir it is doubtful that Freedom would have gotten off the ground.

jrkeller
2002-May-07, 12:37 PM
Chip,

I'm glad you liked the new video system.

I worked on it a bit, the thermal design. Most of the electrical work, the camera and lens assemblies, were done by Boardcast Sport Technology of Canada.

If anyone else has some comments, good or bad, I love to hear them.

Chip
2002-May-08, 07:50 AM
On 2002-05-07 08:37, jrkeller wrote:
Chip,

I'm glad you liked the new video system.

I worked on it a bit, the thermal design. Most of the electrical work, the camera and lens assemblies, were done by Boardcast Sport Technology of Canada.

If anyone else has some comments, good or bad, I love to hear them.

Great! I'm looking forward to more spacewalk scenes "through the eyes of the astronauts" on future missions.

jrkeller
2002-May-08, 01:21 PM
Next launch is May 30th.