PDA

View Full Version : Shameless profiteering from the "Face"

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Mar-14, 03:49 AM
It is exactly this sort of profiteering that I am fighting against. I can't believe someone would so shamelessly use the "Face" on Mars to make money.

Scroll to the bottom (http://www.msss.com/Gift_Shop/shop).

By the way: 8)

I may order one myself.

Musashi
2004-Mar-14, 03:58 AM
Almost not really on topic:

Tonight I was browsing around Amazon, looking for a Greek dicitonary. I put in the search, "Liddle Scott" and got a return (along with relavent books) of Hoagland's book. So I recomended Bad Astronomy instead of it.

John Kierein
2004-Mar-14, 06:57 AM
What'sthe difference between Face "shameless" profiteering and Malin's profiteering? If you look at the Themis site, they show a lot of Martian "art" images, like goldfish, eyes, etc. I don't agree with Hoagland, but I also like to laugh at/with the Weekly World News.

I can't disagree with marketing too much although I do think the advertisers often cross the line like the horse whose flatulence into a candle blew up in their face, and "make 7 - - up yours".

Lycus
2004-Mar-14, 07:07 AM
You mean the mug? Seriously, BA?

Edit: #-o :P

Ut
2004-Mar-14, 07:23 AM
Pssst. It's called irony. It's funny. Really, really funny. Oh man... The things I could do with a coffee mug.

Lycus
2004-Mar-14, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I'm tired and slow tonight. :P

ToSeek
2004-Mar-14, 02:57 PM
Anything that ticks Hoagland off (http://www.enterprisemission.com/Face-lift.htm) is good enough for me.

Rift
2004-Mar-14, 04:33 PM
Actually, that would make a great "Bad Astronomy" mug.

Maybe you could ask Malin if you could add the Bad Astronomy logo to it or something?

Glom
2004-Mar-14, 05:09 PM
They should do a mug with the MGS photo saying "In your face, Hoagland!"

mr. show
2004-Mar-14, 07:15 PM
I see this as capitalism at its finest

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Mar-14, 07:30 PM
Yes, folks, I was being sarcastic, hence the smiley face.

I had actually forgotten Hoagland mentions the mug on his site. That page is hysterical; the coloring in of the eye is so blatantly wrong it belongs with such utter nonsense as the Tom Corbett, West Wing, and X-Files stuff he talks about.