PDA

View Full Version : What are you playing?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-05, 03:50 PM
Having just acquired a PS3 for my birthday, my wife and I are playing Silent Hill: Homecoming.

It's the first of the series not to be written by Konami, I think, and while it's far from being a Silent Hill 2 (one of the finest pieces of horror fiction in any medium), it's very engaging and entertaining.

We also got Heavy Rain, which appears to be the first successful attempt at an interactive movie. We spent a couple of hours on it, and are convinced it will repay commitment, but that's for the future.

Fazor
2010-Apr-05, 04:45 PM
I played through Mass Effect 1 and 2, then Dragon Age: Origins, then moved on to FFXIII but have stalled at this last bit. Partly because I found FF to only be moderately amusing, and partly because I haven't been playing games. Nice weather means there's too much to do around the house, and my new books should be in today so those will keep my evening entertainment time occupied for a while.

PetersCreek
2010-Apr-05, 05:12 PM
I'm still playing Borderlands on the PC. I'm currently into the latest DLC, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx. I still haven't done more than a little dabbling in Left 4 Dead 2.

ShadowSot
2010-Apr-05, 05:25 PM
Rarely play games... but I got God of War III, not to bad, a bit short though.
Uncharted 1&2 are great games for the PS3, in my opinion.

stutefish
2010-Apr-05, 05:28 PM
I keep coming back to Civ (4, now).

mike alexander
2010-Apr-05, 08:09 PM
Solitaire. I haven't gotten to the end of it yet.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Apr-05, 09:09 PM
I keep coming back to Civ (4, now).

More addictive than crack.

FarmMarsNow
2010-Apr-05, 09:50 PM
I recently played Spore. It was fun.

Bluevision
2010-Apr-05, 10:45 PM
Homecoming was a massive letdown for me personally. I agree 100%, Silent Hill 2 is actually the most masterfully executed horror story that I've ever... experienced? There are some games that have my heart going 180 bpm playing them (Dead Space comes to mind,) but the atmosphere is just amazing. You connect with the characters, the pacing is superb, and there's a level of depth that rivals some of the best movies.

I've heard quite good reviews of Heavy Rain, though I would call Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy,) to be the first "successful" interactive movie, even if it did have a whacky story. With current generation graphics, I'm hoping that more of these will come around because I really liked how Fahrenheit worked. Heavy Rain looks like it actually has a much more sound plot, and I'm excited to purchase and play it this summer.

Right now, I'm doing my second run through of GTA IV (stupid me didn't make a backup file before choosing to kill Dimitri,) and building up my level-creating skills in Little Big Planet to flesh out a couple good ones in the coming months. I also just finished today yet another run through of Super Mario Sunshine (missing only 3 blue coins and one star.) Also waiting for the mythical release of steam and Source engine for Mac.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-05, 11:45 PM
Currently on a partial nostalgia trip with Torchlight (http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/), not because it's old but because it's a mix of Diablo's setting (and very heavily inspired incidental/background music) and Diablo II's item and character system with updated graphics.
The critters actually made me think it was a Blizzard game, which was partially explained when I read the credit and saw it's made by several lead developers from Blizzard.
It's published on Steam with a free demo (http://store.steampowered.com/app/41510/) of the full game, locked to 7 character levels and about the same number of underground levels.

Incidentally, I like that way of making demo's, when I paid for it I already had the full game installed and the character I'd played was still there ready to continue.
Also, they use the Steam servers to save the characters so with the same Steam account on multiple machines you have access to all your characters.

grant hutchison
2010-Apr-06, 12:02 AM
I'm playing Bioshock. Very, very slowly indeed. Given to me by a friend, who was appalled that I didn't have any games to match the capabilities of my graphics card.
But this jumpy-shooty stuff is a whole new skill-set for me, and I'm really, really bad at it. I think I'm more cut out for contemplative, point-and-click, puzzle-solving adventures; stuff in which mad screaming people don't try to kill me all the time, anyway.

Grant Hutchison

Starfury
2010-Apr-06, 12:23 AM
Guild Wars, have been for 2 years now. Any other Guild Wars players here on BAUT?

My main character is Xavia Mindwalker, I'm an officer in the guild The Dragons of Middle Earth [TDME].

Doodler
2010-Apr-06, 12:46 AM
I've completed two run throughs on Dragon Age Origins and Awakenings. Thoroughly enjoyable game with a lot of replay possibilities. Awakening's linearity was a bit of a letdown, along with 80% of the DLC content not making the leap to the expansion, but I'm 95 to 99% satisfied. Will probably do one more run through before heading back to Star Trek or finding another game.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-06, 09:18 PM
But this jumpy-shooty stuff is a whole new skill-set for me, and I'm really, really bad at it. I think I'm more cut out for contemplative, point-and-click, puzzle-solving adventures; stuff in which mad screaming people don't try to kill me all the time, anyway.
You may like the combat mode of XCOM 3, I know I do.

Basically you have a group of people, you give them orders and/or set their general response pattern, then let time run for a while where they act out those orders, if needed you freeze time again to give more orders, until the baddies are gone or all your guys are down.

Bluevision
2010-Apr-06, 09:38 PM
^^ Or Fallout 3 with VATS, I think is a better bridge between point and click games and FPS's.
If you want something to bring you into FPS's from puzzle-solvers, Half Life 2 is quite good for that, imo. It eases you into the action, while maintaining a puzzle-solving quality throughout. And it actually has an immersive storyline without sacrificing the gameplay.

Haven't played XCOM, but is the gameplay premise similar to SOCOM?

ginnie
2010-Apr-06, 10:28 PM
I'm playing my new Epiphone short scale bass a lot lately.

Fazor
2010-Apr-06, 11:50 PM
Guild Wars, have been for 2 years now. Any other Guild Wars players here on BAUT?
My main character is Xavia Mindwalker, I'm an officer in the guild The Dragons of Middle Earth [TDME].

I played Guildwars when it first came out, up to about the first expansion. Then I got hooked on real MMOs (as in, more than just a few people in an instanced dungeon) and World of Warcraft stole about two years of my life.

megrfl
2010-Apr-07, 01:39 AM
Wii - Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek. I play for about 30 mins a week because that's about all I can take. It has to be the lamest game I have ever played, but because I started it, I must finish it.

When I can't sleep I play Halo, PC. I haven't beaten Legendary, yet. :( Probably never will.

darkhunter
2010-Apr-09, 11:51 AM
Splitting my time between Need for Speed: Undercover and Fallout 3. I also have D%D and Rifts campains running with my kids on the weekends.

jokergirl
2010-Apr-09, 11:57 AM
Still playing Lord of the Rings Online, mainly for the roleplay. It's fun, but less addictive and less focused on levelling than WoW. And there's a huge number of female gamers, interestingly enough.

I might play Settlers (the boardgame) with some friends in the weekend, if I can drum up enough for a nice game.

;)

PS: Oh, and I played (still play) Guild Wars, though at the moment I rarely log in as Lotro takes up my MMO quota. I don't really have a main, but if you see someone from Homeless Kittens [meow] <-(can't remember the capitalization of that one) it's probably either me or my BF.

AndreasJ
2010-Apr-09, 12:33 PM
I've not played any computer games in ages. I do regularly play boardgames and tabletop miniatures games.

Moose
2010-Apr-09, 12:38 PM
Pokemon SoulSilver at the moment.

Fazor
2010-Apr-09, 01:02 PM
Pokemon, eh?

Moose
2010-Apr-09, 02:09 PM
Yup. I don't have to worry about save points, and a DS is portable, so those useless downtimes between classes aren't as deadly. It's a decent RPG in its own right.

Ilya
2010-Apr-09, 02:26 PM
Still playing Lord of the Rings Online, mainly for the roleplay. It's fun, but less addictive and less focused on levelling than WoW. And there's a huge number of female gamers, interestingly enough.
What always turned me off World of Warcraft and other MMORPG's is the "MM" part. You end up with commitments to too many other people, and have to structure your life around the game. Since last October I've been playing DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), and I love it. The big difference is that player characters cannot harm each other, so there is no in-game politics or war among players. Consequently, there is no pressure to "level up" nor to get the rarest shiniest magic item. The focus is on exploring mazes, killing monsters, and solving puzzles. Most of the time I play alone; when not alone, it is with "pick-up groups" who I probably never see again.

It is run by Turbine, the same company which runs Lord of the Rings Online.

Fazor
2010-Apr-09, 02:30 PM
Yup. I don't have to worry about save points, and a DS is portable, so those useless downtimes between classes aren't as deadly. It's a decent RPG in its own right.
I've avoided it for two reasons; first, the stigma of playing Pokemon. ;) Second, because it's a "collection"/"Search and find" based game (at least, from what little I know about it), so I know I'd be instantly addicted.

Fazor
2010-Apr-09, 02:32 PM
Since last October I've been playing DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), and I love it.
I may have to hit you (and anyone else who plays DDO) up. I registered an account two or three weeks ago, now that it's free, but I haven't actually installed it yet. Nor did I really look into the company structure; is it 100% free, or "free" with content you have to purchase if you want to use it?

EDG
2010-Apr-09, 07:54 PM
Just started playing Borderlands, and lots of indie games. I'm generally waiting for the Cataclysm to come out for WoW though.

Fazor
2010-Apr-09, 08:17 PM
Just started playing Borderlands, and lots of indie games. I'm generally waiting for the Cataclysm to come out for WoW though.
I have Borderlands for xBox, and I liked it, but it's more fun multiplayer and actually requires some coherent teamwork. I don't have a headset, and so without a keyboard, there's really no way to communicate. That made it less fun.

Single player is okay, but with co-op it's better.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-09, 08:36 PM
I may have to hit you (and anyone else who plays DDO) up. I registered an account two or three weeks ago, now that it's free, but I haven't actually installed it yet. Nor did I really look into the company structure; is it 100% free, or "free" with content you have to purchase if you want to use it?
"Free" with extra things you can buy. From the manual:

Feature Free VIP
Classes All except Favored Soul and Monk All
Races Dwarf, Elf, Human, Halfling All
Geography Stormreach All
Premium Modules Buy All
Character Slots 2 10
Login Queue No Priority Priority
Chat Limited Unlimited
Auctions Limited Unlimited
Mail Limited Unlimited
Gold Limited Unlimited
Shared Bank Slot Purchasable Yes
Turbine Points Buy 500/month

You'll be playing a Demo, but they don't actually have the honesty to tell you that straight out.

Ilya
2010-Apr-13, 06:18 PM
It's "freemium" -- basic content is free, you have to pay for more interesting stuff.

DDO has three tiers: F2P (Free to Play), Premium, and VIP. VIP is a subscriber -- you pay IIRC $15 a month, and have access to all content. F2P is just that -- you had paid nothing (as of yet), have access only to free content, and can buy any premium item separately.

Premium is what F2P becomes once you buy anything at all. There is significant difference between F2P and Premium, so for as little as $6 (once, not per month) you can make your game a lot more enjoyable.

Price is a bit difficult to figure out because you do not pay for things directly -- rather you buy "Turbine points", then spend them on things like premium adventure packs (so far I bought two). Turbine points are not only bought with money but also acquired by achieving certain milestones within the game; sometimes they are on sale. Often adventure packs, and other things you buy with Turbine points are on sale. So far I paid $16.50 over five months. It will be a while before I buy any more Turbine points, as there is so much free content to explore. Heck, I am not even done yet with one of two premium packs I bought!

Ilya
2010-Apr-13, 06:23 PM
"Free" with extra things you can buy. From the manual:

Feature Free VIP
Classes All except Favored Soul and Monk All
Races Dwarf, Elf, Human, Halfling All
Geography Stormreach All
Premium Modules Buy All
Character Slots 2 10
Login Queue No Priority Priority
Chat Limited Unlimited
Auctions Limited Unlimited
Mail Limited Unlimited
Gold Limited Unlimited
Shared Bank Slot Purchasable Yes
Turbine Points Buy 500/month

You'll be playing a Demo, but they don't actually have the honesty to tell you that straight out.
Here is the complete breakdown of Free, Premium and VIP:

http://www.ddo.com/vip

Fazor
2010-Apr-13, 07:12 PM
I just picked up a copy of 'Dead Space' at GameStop over the weekend. Good game so far. Reminds me of Silent Hill (albeit not as masterful) or Resident Evil, but in space!

dgavin
2010-Apr-14, 07:09 PM
Grand Theft Auto 4: The Lost and Damned

This has some kicking new bikes (choppers) and weapons for the GTA4 game.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-14, 09:07 PM
Just a quick post to say I am reading replies with interest. It wasn't a seagull post, honest!

Fazor
2010-Apr-14, 11:39 PM
It wasn't a seagull post, honest!
Oh yeah? Then what's with that mouth-full of shad? :think:

jokergirl
2010-Apr-15, 08:05 AM
What always turned me off World of Warcraft and other MMORPG's is the "MM" part. You end up with commitments to too many other people, and have to structure your life around the game. Since last October I've been playing DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), and I love it. The big difference is that player characters cannot harm each other, so there is no in-game politics or war among players. Consequently, there is no pressure to "level up" nor to get the rarest shiniest magic item. The focus is on exploring mazes, killing monsters, and solving puzzles. Most of the time I play alone; when not alone, it is with "pick-up groups" who I probably never see again.

It is run by Turbine, the same company which runs Lord of the Rings Online.

I personally like the MM part - being social with people in-game is a very important part for me, as I learned when I played Fallout 3 (which I enjoyed a lot, but just started to feel "lonely" in after a few tries). Different games for different people, I guess :) But it is correct, in-game appointments are with real people, so while not 100% as important as "real life" they do take up a certain importance in your schedules.

There is no PvP in Lotro either, though for those who want to PvP there is a thing called Monster play where you PvP in the guise of an orc or a wolf. It's strictly reserved areas for those who like such things.

I haven't played DDO, was interested in it but it was really really calm about it after it started. Maybe I'll try it some day.

Who else is looking forward to Star Wars: The Old Republic?

;)

Spoons
2010-Apr-15, 08:32 AM
Somehow when I set up my first XBox Live account for the 360 I ended up being listed as a UK user. The expiration date came up and I couldn't use my credit card to renew it, so I lost 7,000 XP. Oh, woe is me!

I spoke to people at Microsoft and they assured me the only answer was to start a new Profile, and that I couldn't transfer my XP across, so I'm faced with replaying a bunch of old games.

I was thinking of maybe getting that Just Cause 2 game - the grappling sounds sort of like an old favourite, Bionic Commando, but maybe, just maybe... better? (I feel dirty saying that - how could anything be better than Bionic Commando?) If anyone gets that I'd love to hear what they think.

I'm also forced to run my XBox 360 through my laptops wireless connection to go Live, which makes for a pretty poor connection, so I'm aiming more for 1 player offline games for the meantime. Looking forward to tgetting back to my funpad Unit and getting everything set up properly again.

In the meantime, I am hell bent on restarting and this time finishing GTA 4 - The Lost and Damned. Race you to the finish dgavin!

Fazor
2010-Apr-15, 03:10 PM
I was thinking of maybe getting that Just Cause 2 game - the grappling sounds sort of like an old favourite, Bionic Commando, but maybe, just maybe... better? (I feel dirty saying that - how could anything be better than Bionic Commando?) If anyone gets that I'd love to hear what they think.

I'd suggest downloading the free demo off of XBox marketplace. My buddy told me how awesome the game was (from the demo) so I downloaded it, but I hated it. I thought the control was too clunky to be very functional. Maybe it's just me though. But since the demo is free, try it for yourself. It just limits you to 30 minutes of game time (just resets at that point) and some of the island areas are off limits.

Between the grappling hook and the logic-defying parachute (you can deploy it and . . . unploy? . . . it as often as you want) both make for some interesting gameplay options though.

Spoons
2010-Apr-15, 11:55 PM
Ah, good call Fazor. Yes, I'd forgotten about the demos, but I recently switched my internet service provider, and teh new mob allows unlimited XBox download, so it won't hurt my quota.

I'll do that when I get home today - might save me $100. I want to like it, but cool heads will prevail. (Emotional heads will be left eating 2 minute noodles for the rest of the pay period.) Cheers!

Moose
2010-Apr-16, 12:52 AM
Hey Fazor, stigma my butt. The theater prof (and his wife) play Platinum. He was telling me about it at lunch today. :D

Fazor
2010-Apr-16, 02:20 AM
In addition to Deadspace for 360, I picked up Sam & Max Season I and II. Now I can play Deadspace when I have the tv free, and Sam and Max when I got the laptop.

Hey Fazor, stigma my butt. The theater prof (and his wife) play Platinum. He was telling me about it at lunch today. :D

:)

Spoons
2010-Apr-16, 02:46 AM
Ooh! Ooooooh! I LOVE Sam & Max. I had the original on the PC. How are the new versions?

Fazor
2010-Apr-16, 12:01 PM
It's as good as I remember it, though I never played much of the original. I preferred 'Day of the Tenticle'.

Spoons
2010-Apr-16, 12:32 PM
Oh, yeah, that's right. Day of the Tentacle is the better one actually.

Fazor
2010-Apr-16, 01:37 PM
Yeah, loved 'Day'. The new Sam & Max is good, don't get me wrong, but not quite that level. I haven't checked out the Monkey Island series in a while either.

Spoons
2010-Apr-16, 04:32 PM
You just keep coming with them don't you? Monkey Island... had one which I really liked.

Fazor
2010-Apr-16, 04:44 PM
The Monkey Island games I've played are great. I still call DOTT the winner, but I'd think there's a real argument for the Monkey series. Did you ever play Indiana Jones - The Fate of Atlantis? It's was different enough for the standard point-and-clicks, but still had that classic Lucasarts humor and interesting puzzles. I enjoyed it a lot.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-16, 05:35 PM
The Monkey Island games I've played are great.
How appropriate! You fight like a cow.

Fazor
2010-Apr-16, 06:13 PM
ĦMadre de dios! ĦEs el Pollo Diablo!

closetgeek
2010-Apr-16, 06:50 PM
I am back playing WOW. My guild with it's whopping two members is a blast. The social aspect was fun but I lost all my friends in the divorce settlement :p.

Fazor
2010-Apr-16, 07:00 PM
I am back playing WOW. My guild with it's whopping two members is a blast. The social aspect was fun but I lost all my friends in the divorce settlement :p.

I've been reading Blizzard's "Class changes" updates they released this week concerning the Cataclysm expansion. Trying to follow along makes my head hurt. On one hand, I miss Warcraft. On the other, I really don't. On the third hand, I miss it again. And on the fourth hand, I've got plenty of games keeping me entertained, and only miss WoW in a 'good-old days' sense. The fifth, sixth, and seventh hands are busy typing this message. While the eight and ninth are occupied playing rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock. Hand eleven is considering re-rolling as an Alliance Dwarf. Hand twelve prefers Horde Undead. Hand thirteen trumps them all, and is firmly wrapped around an XBox controller.

Sorry, was trying to be all 'Steve Martin' there, but there's a reason I'm not Steve Martin.

To bring my new-found but nearly a decade late anguish over the Firefly series into another thread; I though "If Fox [screwed up] the series that bad for television, at least Firefly would make an awsome MMO!" . . . well, apparently they also had that thought back in 2006 around the time of 'Serenity'. Unfortunately, it also ended up being licensed through Fox, and has suffered a long, drawn out death. It appears as of late last year there were still some mumblings, but it looks like they're nothing more than that. Blast!

Spoons
2010-Apr-17, 07:03 AM
Indiana Jones - I think I remember hearing of that game, but no, I've never played it. LucasArts did have a good humour about their games though, I'd have to agree there. That was one of the great things about DOTT.

I had several friends who we lost for about 5 years to WoW, so I'll never go near that Digital Crack. They finally got off that stuff and now they've started on Age of Conan, though they swear this time they've got it under control and can stop any time they want. We'll see.

I've just found my copy of FarCry2 in the car last night, so I've started that over. I think it's a fantastic game! I love having such a big world to explore.

Solfe
2010-Apr-17, 05:19 PM
I swore to myself that I would buy no more games until I finished the ones I have. I have been toying with Myst Online now that they are back. I have connectivity issues likely split between me and them and haven't worked them out yet. I have also been playing an old version of Unreal.

Does Wii Fit count as a game?

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-17, 06:18 PM
Does Wii Fit count as a game?
No, because it's good for you!

(Joking.) Which game? We've got a Wii, and I'm wondering whether to get the Wii Fit.

Solfe
2010-Apr-19, 01:11 AM
Break down and buy one. It is nice. You can have up to 8 people (or cats or dogs.) on it, take turns, etc. It is as accurate as my bathroom scale, plus it records the weight/BMI so it isn't a case of forgetting if you were 192 or 197 the next day.

One of item of note, it doesn't work well with weights or heavy clothes. Since it records your weight, throwing on weights or taking off a sweat shirt causes it to believe something is wrong.

Doodler
2010-Apr-19, 04:18 AM
Picked up Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion from my girlfriend when I visited her in Minnesota last week. Now this is a game I wish I'd gotten into in its heyday. Kind of a Grand Theft Auto meets Neverwinter Nights feel. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Moose
2010-Apr-19, 07:15 AM
Doodler, the golden age of Elder Scrolls Oblivion is now. Right now. Seriously. There are literal terrabytes of mods that'll make the game even better. tesnexus.com has most of 'em. The top 100 list is worth checking out.

Fazor
2010-Apr-19, 11:14 AM
I loved Oblivion, for a few weeks. Then it got old. I never looked into the mods, but it was a magic act just to get it to run without crashing on this laptop, so I was hesitant to mod it.

Doodler
2010-Apr-20, 08:25 PM
Doodler, the golden age of Elder Scrolls Oblivion is now. Right now. Seriously. There are literal terrabytes of mods that'll make the game even better. tesnexus.com has most of 'em. The top 100 list is worth checking out.

And thank you for that :) Gonna have a look at the mods when I finish working for the day. I still haven't run the entire "main quest" yet, and I still have a lot of unfinished side content left to go.

Ilya
2010-Apr-23, 04:55 PM
How many of you have fond memories of beer and soda-fueled marathon pen-and-paper D&D sessions that ran for days on end? I don't, actually -- the longest I ever played nonstop was 13 hours. And the screenshot below is certainly not mine -- but is impressive. If you are not familiar with what is where on a DDO screen, look for words "Completion time" next to the portrait in bottom right corner. It helps if yuo view the image at full size:

http://www.lostguild.com/ddo/supershroud/final.jpg

Fazor
2010-Apr-23, 05:45 PM
That's . . . impressive? :) Does that mean a straight-play through? Or could they maybe have taken a break(s) but remained logged in? When I used to run raids in World of Warcraft, we had some that probably took 16 hours or more, but in Warcraft, there were certain dungeons that only reset once a week (or some every three days, etc). So you could log out for the night, then come back the next day and more or less pick up where you left off.

Doodler
2010-Apr-23, 06:09 PM
How many of you have fond memories of beer and soda-fueled marathon pen-and-paper D&D sessions that ran for days on end? I don't, actually -- the longest I ever played nonstop was 13 hours. And the screenshot below is certainly not mine -- but is impressive. If you are not familiar with what is where on a DDO screen, look for words "Completion time" next to the portrait in bottom right corner. It helps if yuo view the image at full size:

http://www.lostguild.com/ddo/supershroud/final.jpg

Not D&D, but Shadowrun. Weekend runs in high school, many fond memories.

And Moose, you've created an addict. I've been up late pulling down mods for Oblivion the last couple nights. The companions are excellent, something I was dearly missing on my first run through.

Ilya
2010-Apr-23, 06:14 PM
That's . . . impressive? :) Does that mean a straight-play through? Or could they maybe have taken a break(s) but remained logged in? When I used to run raids in World of Warcraft, we had some that probably took 16 hours or more, but in Warcraft, there were certain dungeons that only reset once a week (or some every three days, etc). So you could log out for the night, then come back the next day and more or less pick up where you left off.
In DDO that's not possible. They HAD to do it straight through.

Fazor
2010-Apr-23, 06:22 PM
In DDO that's not possible. They HAD to do it straight through.
Ouch. I can't even stay awake for more than about 18 hours straight anymore. :)

Moose
2010-Apr-23, 07:26 PM
And Moose, you've created an addict. I've been up late pulling down mods for Oblivion the last couple nights. The companions are excellent, something I was dearly missing on my first run through.

Yeah, sorry about that. *chuckle* I know the feeling. I'm currently using about 5 gigs of mods, and I consider most of them essential to my enjoyment of the game.

If I may ask, what kind of character are you playing?

Doodler
2010-Apr-24, 01:24 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. *chuckle* I know the feeling. I'm currently using about 5 gigs of mods, and I consider most of them essential to my enjoyment of the game.

If I may ask, what kind of character are you playing?

Imperial Crusader, which for some reason, I managed to work into the spitting image of Taylor Lautner (using the game's built in character customization, which is pretty horrible, so this was no easy feat). I tend to do pretty well with Paladin class character types. Even though Oblivion gives anyone access to healing abilities, I stuck to my guns. I balanced his development with enough Agility/Security to crack Very Hard locks consistently (even though my reflexes are horrible and I burn through lockpicks like water in a desert) Running with a fully head-to-toe enchanted set of Ebony armor with assorted Health and Magicka bonuses and a Draemora Claymore with a +25 Fire damage enchant. Has the nice effect of sending some enemies flying on a kill strike.

Moose
2010-Apr-24, 04:53 PM
Pity. :) The four very best expansion mods are mage-oriented. If you ever go mage or fighter-mage, look up Midas Magic, Origin of the Mage's Guild (Rare now, let me know if you can't find it), The Lost Spires, and Frostcrag Reborn (if you have the DLC.)

Unique Landscapes and Better Cities is worth using, too, if you haven't checked them out yet.

Fazor
2010-Apr-26, 03:00 PM
I installed DDO last night and played for a bit, but the control seemed very clunky. I think the problem is that it's not as much of an "auto attack" type UI, such as Warcraft or . . . anything like warcraft . . . which would actually be more fun, probably, if it ran even anything close to okay on my laptop. But it doesn't. I found even something simple such as climbing a ladder usually resulted in wild veering left and right, running into walls, and otherwise not climbing the ladder. And fighting moving enemies? Ugh. But my controls were lagged, and I don't know if that's the game's poor UI, or (much more likely) the games performance on my underpowered laptop.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-26, 05:05 PM
I found the controls highly irritating until I caught on to what to do: hold down the right mouse button at all times.
That makes the mouse control heading and wasd control movement as the gods intended.
I think you can set a "keep attacking" mode, but haven't felt a need for it since I got used to the permanent right-mouse hold.

Fazor
2010-Apr-26, 05:12 PM
I found the controls highly irritating until I caught on to what to do: hold down the right mouse button at all times.
That makes the mouse control heading and wasd control movement as the gods intended.
I think you can set a "keep attacking" mode, but haven't felt a need for it since I got used to the permanent right-mouse hold.

Yes, I hold the mouse button. That's pretty much how WoW does it (though it's more overheadish) and Age of Conan. It's not the control scheme thats the probelm, it's that even tapping A or D, or slightly moving the mouse results in a brief pause of nothing, then a huuuuge over turn. It's like the input-handling code gets lagged because the game is bogging down and it results in an over-reporting of input (ie, a small correction in heading results in a big correction)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-26, 05:22 PM
Ok, that sounds like a graphics lag problem.
Probably not readily fixable.
I assume you tried running it with every graphics setting dialed all the way down and it's still doing it.

Fazor
2010-Apr-26, 11:28 PM
Ok, that sounds like a graphics lag problem.
Probably not readily fixable.
I assume you tried running it with every graphics setting dialed all the way down and it's still doing it.

Yeah. When I have some time I may see if there's any further tweaks I can do to help things, but this is a 3-4 year old $500 best buy laptop . . . not a whole lotta umph under the hood.

Fazor
2010-Apr-28, 01:25 PM
Just an update on DDO: I was able to tweak the settings a little further, and also found part of the problem was the input sensitivity settings for the mouse and more so the keyboard turning. I played a good while last night, whilst watching the Indians' game. Made it to level 2 as a tempest ranger. I have no idea on what to spend action points on though.

grant hutchison
2010-Apr-28, 04:12 PM
If you want something to bring you into FPS's from puzzle-solvers, Half Life 2 is quite good for that, imo.Thanks for this recommendation.
So recently I've been playing "Why won't Half Life 2 run on my machine?" :lol:
(The problem's solved now. It's certainly a pretty thing, though I'm struggling with the keyboard controls at present.)

Grant Hutchison

Ilya
2010-Apr-30, 09:14 PM
Just an update on DDO: I was able to tweak the settings a little further, and also found part of the problem was the input sensitivity settings for the mouse and more so the keyboard turning. I played a good while last night, whilst watching the Indians' game. Made it to level 2 as a tempest ranger. I have no idea on what to spend action points on though.
Fire and acid resistance, first priority.

If you tell me what you already spent actions points on and what enhancements you have, I may be able to suggest more.

But you can probably find all the answers on forums.ddo.com

Solfe
2010-May-02, 03:58 AM
Ugh... I lost my battle with game addiction. I joined back up with Simuntronics Gemstones IV. Text based mud... addictive and expensive.

Fazor
2010-May-11, 02:31 PM
I picked up FIFA10 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for 360 over the weekend. Am happy with both -- I initially stayed away from Battlefield because I already play Modern Warfare 2 online, and thought it'd just be more of the same. The feel, however, is sufficiently different to offer two different online experiences. Both are good.

I've played EA's Fifa games for years; the purchase was more a result of it being soccer season, so I'm currently in the mood to play. And when I can't round up people to play outside, at least now I can virtually play. :-P Fifa has been very frustrating, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I lost every single exhibition match I played, then I decided to go ahead and start a season. I lost the first 4 exhibition matches of that season, the first match of the regular season, then finally got a draw in the second match. I finally won my first game after that, but then went on to lose my 4th match. Needless to say, my manager rating is pretty terrible. But at least I'm losing games 1-0 or 2-1 now, instead of 2-0 or 3-0. :-P

HenrikOlsen
2010-May-11, 04:56 PM
A bit mixed what I play at the moment, just starting X3: Terran Conflict and recently wasted several entire days on AI War: Fleet Command, both bought cheap through Steam.

Spoons
2010-May-20, 04:42 AM
Thanks to our good friend slang I am now hooked on Bubble Spinner (http://www.deadwhale.com/play.php?game=774), though I keep panicking when someone comes up to my desk with work. Still got to improve my score, only around 600 or so.

I'm picking up a copy of Red Dead Redemption for the XBox 360 after work today. Looks like a pretty cool game. I might try it out tonight if I get time.

Fazor
2010-May-20, 01:40 PM
I'm picking up a copy of Red Dead Redemption for the XBox 360 after work today. Looks like a pretty cool game. I might try it out tonight if I get time.

Tell me how it is! I've been going back and forth over buying it since it came out Tuesday. Last night I was all set to go pick it up (and a bottle of Jim Beam--liquor store is right by the game store), but at the last minute decided I don't really need an expensive game and liquor. Well, I get home and fire up Battlefield BC2, and I see my best friend is online. When I went to check to see if he was in Bad Company, he was playing 'Red Dead'!

But I haven't gotten to talk to him yet to see how he likes it.

Spoons
2010-May-20, 01:51 PM
I'm just having a go now. Well, taking a quick break to get a drink. Oh, how I wish I had some bourbon to go with this game right now!

I really like the game so far - it's got a good mixture of missions, general direction/structure to the story (from the few hours I've played so far anyway) while still being extremely fluid and open, and one very cool bonus to it - the mini-games! I don't usually get over excited about mini-games as they're often pretty average, but it's got a really good hunting setup (shoot any birds, coyotes, deer, rabbits, snakes, whatever you can find really) where you build up your marksman skills, which will improve your "crunch-time" shooting, where everything slows down.

Hey, if you're sitting on the couch with your lady or just feeling a little soft you can even go picking flowers as part of your survival skills. How dandy!

If you can spare the coin I'd grab it. Well, I did, so that goes without saying.

Whenever I get a game like this, which you could use as a brilliant time-sink, I always con myself by saying, "Oh, I'll be so busy playing that I'll save money on booze" but here I am, wishing I had some hard liquor sol I can have a drinking comp with my character.

Fazor
2010-May-20, 02:06 PM
Did you play the first one? I enjoyed it, though it was rather short as I recall. And not all that "open world", for an open world game. The kicker for me is the inclusion of multiplayer -- I love being able to play with other people. At least, when it's done well.

Whenever I get a game like this, which you could use as a brilliant time-sink, I always con myself by saying, "Oh, I'll be so busy playing that I'll save money on booze" but here I am, wishing I had some hard liquor sol I can have a drinking comp with my character.
I have to get some for tonight, 'caus the Crew play. Can't watch sports without a drink! (okay, so I often watch sports without a drink. But still.) I do enjoy a drink when I'm playing video games too. Sure made hours-long Warcraft raids more fun.

Spoons
2010-May-20, 02:24 PM
Did you play the first one? I enjoyed it, though it was rather short as I recall. And not all that "open world", for an open world game. The kicker for me is the inclusion of multiplayer -- I love being able to play with other people. At least, when it's done well.
Red Dead Revolver? I hadn't played that previous one before, no. Could you skin animals in that one? Such an awesome feature, I reckon. This one seems quite open world to me so far.

I have to get some for tonight, 'caus the Crew play. Can't watch sports without a drink! (okay, so I often watch sports without a drink. But still.) I do enjoy a drink when I'm playing video games too. Sure made hours-long Warcraft raids more fun.
Well, so, it's better to consider that a rule that you're breaking sometimes by not drinking. You'd never have to justify breaking a rule to not drink, and since the rule is still to drink during sports then you don't have to justify that either.

I've still got to work on convincing a few of the other Band of Whippets boys I play XBox Live with to get it, then I can really test out the multiplayer. I'll poke around with that a little more next week, I think, once I've done a bit more of the story mode.

I hope the story mode isn't too short... judging by GTA IV (I hope that's reasonable) you should be able to get quite a bit out of it, depending how clinical you choose to be.

I prefer to wade through games like this, and with all the hunting stuff you can mess around with there'll be plenty of drunken hours wiled away, I'm guessing.

Parrothead
2010-May-22, 02:34 PM
Pulled out my old Sega Genesis console the other weekend, have played some short games of NHL Hockey, Super Street Fighter II, volleyball, Bill Walsh's College Football, World Series baseball and World Cup Rugby '95. Oh yeah Sonic the Hedgehog II, too.

Non video, Skittle Bowl and Rebound.

Fazor
2010-May-23, 05:31 AM
Thanks in part to Spoons here (and my best friend's review) picked up 'Red Dead: Redemption'. Grand Theft Auto in the old west in a stetson. So, in a word, 'Awesome'. I'd still be playing it, but Tara woke up from her nap and wanted to watch tv.

TJMac
2010-May-23, 02:40 PM

Ive been playing GW for over 4 years now. I will not even admit to the amount of time spent. :whistle:

I play multiple characters, depending on what my guild is up to, but Morainne Lan is the one I am on the most. Yep, Im one of those guys who plays female characters. ;) Officer in [WARS] guild.

Fazor
2010-Jul-30, 03:27 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread since, as I mentioned in the StarCraft 2 thread that I had purchased Fallout 3 (not related in any way, so I forget how it came up). Since it got some good comments I picked up a used copy after work. I played it a bit (probably more than a bit; lose track of time!) last night and so far I'm enjoying it. Bethesda does an awesome job on these types of games.

Per my usual tradition, I took the instruction booklet with me to work today so I could read through it, and maybe pick up some things I missed. And as per tradition, now I can't wait to get home to play it some more! We go to dinner with my parents and my brother's family on Fridays, so won't be home until late; but I don't have anything pressing to do in the morning, which means I can grab some good beer and stay up all night playing. Of course, at my 'advanced age' of 28, I can't really stay up all night playing games like I used to; so it really means staying up 'til 1 or 2. But good 'nuff!

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-30, 04:24 PM
At 44 I still occasionally forget the time and notice I should stop playing because the sun's getting up.

Currently mainly X3:TC, Dragon Age: Origins and Overlord.

Fazor
2010-Jul-30, 04:55 PM
I played DA:O and loved it -- though never got any of the expansions (trade-in value was too high so used it to help me get Fifa 10, or Dead Space, forget which).

Moose
2010-Jul-30, 05:55 PM
Recently played Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origin and Awakening. Enjoyed both. I'm now (re)playing Oblivion with an updated mod set. I'm very close to maxing out my installable mod list.

Of course, as I (re)read Shogun, I'm getting an itch to reinstall Shogun, Total War.

darkhunter
2010-Jul-31, 02:58 PM
Playing Fallout 3 right now myself. Had to go to an earlier save after beating the game because I missed a bobblehead..
Spoiler (?).
When you get into Raven Rock--explorer thoughouly and get the bobblehead--it's the only time you ever get into there....and when your in there--explorer completely before you get into the next section....

Moose
2010-Jul-31, 06:34 PM
That's the one for energy weapons, right?

captain swoop
2010-Aug-01, 12:34 PM
I am having a romp through Thief, Gold at the moment.
Yup, the original thief. ALong with Thief 2 they are I think the two best games ever.
Thief 3 is good but compramised by making it X-Box friendly.

Spoons
2010-Aug-01, 12:45 PM
Speaking of XBox, I've started Assassin's Creed II again. Not a bad game.

darkhunter
2010-Aug-01, 04:10 PM
That's the one for energy weapons, right?

Yep!

Moose
2010-Aug-01, 04:46 PM
Heh, I never use energy weapons anyway. A good head shot with one of the unique sniper rifles, the Lincoln rifle, or your preferred modded equivalent (as I do) will do everything the best energy weapons can do against power armored humans, and outperform them outright against softer targets like super mutants.

And how often does one run into those heavy assault robots anyway? ;)

Fazor
2010-Aug-01, 05:43 PM
All I know is that I *never* have any ammo! Post-apocolypitc wastelands need more random ammuntion laying about. :)

Moose
2010-Aug-01, 10:28 PM
There's a luck-based perq for finding "more ammo" in containers. It's a priority. Essential if you're into burst weapons. I wouldn't bother with any of the "extra caps" perqs, though, unless you're really hurting for something to pick.

[Edit:] There are other solutions, too, for that matter. The Pitt DLC provides an ammo press which can let you convert that near-useless 10mm ammo into .45 or .308. There are mods that let you convert ammo in more elaborate ways. There's a mod called Classic Fallout Weapons BETA (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2307) that adds in a bunch of real modern weapons (including a rare few from science-fantasy movies, such as the pistol that fires .223 lapua) along with all of the weapons found in Fallout 1 and 2 (and Tactics/BoS?). Same mod provides a number of useful sub-machine guns that use the plentiful 10mm round.

Fazor
2010-Aug-02, 02:39 AM
I bought the Game of the Year edition which, among other things, includes 'The Pitt', so I'll have to look for that. I wasn't as pressed for ammo today, but never have enough that I feel 'comfortable' . . . but I'm figuring out you oft have to be more resourcefull and tactical instead of guns-blazing.

The press would be awesome; I have a ton of that crappy 10mm ammo. I'm not high enough level to unlock that ammo perk yet.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Aug-20, 08:56 PM
So I finally got to the end of Silent Hill: Homecoming.

What a thoroughly disappointing entry to the canon. It was evidently written by people who had seen the previous entries to the series, but had no understanding of what made them remarkable. In SH1-4*, gore was a consequence, almost an incidental side-effect, of the soul-rending story that was the real hero. In Homecoming, it's like, "Wow, look guys, dismembered corpses! Huh? What do you mean, that's not shocking? Course it's shocking!" In SH1-4, the monsters are products of the characters' subconscious (mostly). You want to look away but you can't - whether it's the hideously disfigured (but highly sexualised) nurses, or the pitiful (but dangerous) straitjacketed figures, or the clumsily rebuilt mannequins, or, most disturbing of all, the "Daddy, please don't" monster. This is H.P. Lovecraft for the 21st Century. But in Homecoming it's hammerhead sharks with arms and legs, big metal spiders, big-lunged smog-breathers and baddies in protective suits. Where's the depth in that? In SH1-4 the images of decay, neglect, and blood and rust reflected the inner landscapes of the protagonists. In Homecoming it's just the consequence of hordes of monsters unleashed on a town. Where's the fear in that?

In SH1-4, one had a sense of layers of reality. A handful of people were drawn to the town for one reason or another (and part of the delight was that the character you played was not the only one with a strange backstory - the people you occasionally met were probably having adventures every bit as disturbing as your own), and whereas they were all experiencing physical danger, there were strong hints that it was all taking place in a nightmare version of the "real" town. By contrast, in Homecoming, the protagonist's home town of Shepherd's Glen was simply overrun by hammerhead sharks from Silent Hill. So why didn't it make world news? Why didn't the army go in and neutralise the threat?

Anyone can come up with razor-clawed monsters and moustache-twirling villains. Adult horror goes beyond that. Subtlety and sensitivity are the watchwords. Let's hope future releases have these qualities.

*I haven't played SH 0rigins yet, or the more recent Shattered Memories.

Doodler
2010-Aug-21, 07:21 PM
Doing a re-run through Dragon Age: Origins, mostly to see what life as a warden is like for the fairer gender. Unlocked a couple new achievements while generally psyching myself up for the release of Dragon Age 2.

Also gave Two Worlds another look through knowing that its sequel is due to hit shelves here soon.

Other than that, some minor goofing around with The Sims 3. Dunno what it is, but I've liked this series since the original was launched ages ago, it seems.

Moose
2010-Aug-21, 08:14 PM
Doing a re-run through Dragon Age: Origins, mostly to see what life as a warden is like for the fairer gender. Unlocked a couple new achievements while generally psyching myself up for the release of Dragon Age 2.

The female human noble start is pretty good, especially if you "set your cap" for Alistair. The expansion starts out with a nice happily married couple cameo, too.

I'd been playing Pokemon FireRed until about an hour ago, when I discovered the existence of a game-killing interaction between GBA FireReds and later DS editions. It works fine until you fire up the later edition (to, for example, import legendaries from FireRed). When you do, it immediately erases the FireRed game file irretrievably. Gah.

Fazor
2010-Aug-22, 03:29 AM
I got through the 'Operation Anchorage' DLC for Fallout 3 today. I haven't gotten though the main story arch yet though, but at least it's another quest off the checklist and a handfull of gamerpoints and achievements.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Aug-22, 07:33 AM
but at least it's another quest off the checklist

Nice recommendation, Fazor - you make it sound as much fun as washing the car!

I must admit, I do sometimes feel that way myself. I loved Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but the endgame was so hard and tedious, I just wanted it to end. I was miserable for over a week - and I had more important things to do than fight a boss monster. When I finally defeated him, I just felt relief rather than elation.

Fazor
2010-Aug-22, 03:31 PM
The problem I had was it's added content which usually is for people who have always finished the main game and want more. It turned out to be such a long and un-related to anything else quest chain that it felt out of place. Not that it wasn't good.

Moose
2010-Aug-22, 04:28 PM
Yeah, Anchorage is good. Very good. But... it definitely feels a bit out of place. It takes you out of your own character for an uncomfortably long time. It doesn't do anything to personalize your temporary character. It reminds you, frequently, that you're in a temporary, faceless, nameless character. The character-power progression is... abrupt.

"Out of place" doesn't quite cover the nuance I'm after, actually. Jarring is probably closer to it. It's still well worth playing, just hard to enthuse about.

Fazor, I'm reinstalling Fallout 3 and it's entirely your fault. I haven't played The Pitt, nor Lookout Point yet. I did a "pro-BoS-faction" play-through last. I'm going to do a "meh, thanks all the same" one this time. I'll help 'em, but I'm going to avoid joining factions, other than Megaton.

NickW
2010-Aug-22, 09:14 PM
All this talk about Fallout 3 makes me want to play it again, but I cant because my TV broke a couple of weeks ago and I still havent gotten the money to fix it yet.

It broke in the first half hour of playing Dragon Age: Origin, so I think the game is haunted or something... :)

Fazor
2010-Aug-22, 09:14 PM
You put it better than I could, Moose. Jarring. But it added some gameplay elements that were just different enough to keep it from being a total waste.

I beat the game today... the main story arch I mean. Since I have the 'Broken Steel' add on, play continues. I just traveled to Point Lookout, but I was getting my butt kicked there. I think I'll try leveling up some more first.

Moose
2010-Aug-22, 10:46 PM
They did some really slick scripting with Broken Steel. Unlike Anchorage, Broken Steel _is_ something to enthuse about. In a way, it's a reward for all your "hard work" up to this point, where you get to see firsthand, and remind these Enclave punks, along with your BoS allies, just exactly why Power Armor panicked the Chinese into ending the world in a way that the "Operation Anchorage" DLC only hints at.

Fazor
2010-Aug-22, 11:36 PM
I think what would have made 'Opperation Anchorage' better would have been to create breaks between the segments where you return to the 'real world', so you could do it as quest segments rather than getting stuck in an hours-long unrelated quest.

@NickW: Ah, that's a tragedy! DA:O is a masterpiece of a game -- I made it all the way through it, which is the best review I can give. And I'm not being sarcastic -- there's been many truely great games that don't hold my interest long enough to 'beat' them. If I get through a game, it's either too short, or it was so well done that I actually wanted to keep playing to the end. DA:O is the later. Granted, I never bought any of the expansions, but only because I ended up using it's substansial trade-in value to purchase Fifa 10.

Bioware, though, has some magic ability. I've played through both Mass Effect's and DA:O. And I *never* make it through games. Bethesda is quickly becoming my second favorite game company, but that's behind Bioware. (As a side note, I did also play Elder Scrolls: Oblivian. But that one I did tire of before I got to the end. Part of that might be I was playing it on a PC that was underpowered, so it didn't run very well.)

NickW
2010-Aug-23, 08:49 AM
I have Oblivion as well, and I have yet to actually finish that game. I was really excited about DA:O and the first little bit I played I loved, now I am just waiting for the money to replace the bulb in my TV so I can get back to it :)

Fazor
2010-Aug-23, 02:23 PM
I got fairly far into Oblivion's side-quests, but not very far at all in the main story. The side-quests were much more fun; the Oblivion gates were just annoying :-P

Moose
2010-Aug-23, 04:29 PM
Unless you're playing the Midas Magic mod (where crafting with the sigil stones leads to some of the more exotic spells), you only actually have to close two of them before the Daedric invasion comes to a head. Another eight (if they're the right ones) will significantly reduce friendly casualties.

Of course, gates can be closed in just a few minutes if you're using the Midas Magic mod and your conjure and illusion skills are both at least journeyman level or better.

Fazor
2010-Aug-23, 05:28 PM
I didn't have any mods -- I had to spend about 3 days tinkering with the settings files in order to get the game stable on my laptop (and by stable, I mean it only froze once every few hours, rather than every few minutes), and I was afraid installing any mods would make the game unplayable.

I'm looking forward with both anticipation and apprehension to the DA:O sequel. On the one hand, I'm disappointed that character customization has been downsized to restrict your player options to human male or female (with three classes to choose from) -- even though that shouldn't bother me because I almost always play as a human anyway. The trade-off is your character will be fully voiced, a-la Mass Effect. Which is a nice bonus.

I'm also a bit worried about the story arc, as it apparently takes place over a 10-year span through the use of flashbacks. I probably shouldn't be worried -- storytelling is one thing that Bioware really, really knows how to do. But at the same time, I've never much enjoyed games that jump you through time like that.

We'll see.

Fazor
2010-Aug-25, 01:48 PM
Tara wanted to see the "ending" to Fallout3 (since I got to it while she was at work), so I fired it up last night. But she was too busy blabbing on her phone all night, so instead I just continued my game from the spot I left off of in Point Lookout (expansion).

Those baddies are hard, but not as bad as I thought the first time I visited there. I'm just used to things dieing in two or three headshots, and these guys don't (unless it's a sneak attack). I also realized that I had been stupid by not dumping points into 'medicine', which is why it was taking 10+ stimpaks to heal me close to full. Fortunately I leveled and dumped everything into it, then picked up the perk that allowed me to instantly add another 15 points to something, which also went to medicine.

Ah, such a fun game!

Spoons
2010-Aug-25, 02:38 PM
I just saw the review, yesterday at work, for Mafia II on the XBox. I didn't get time to check it all out, including videos, so I'm not sure, but it does sound good, and they did make fun of it in Penny Arcade, so I think I might want it. In the meantime I'm playing the CTRL-V Game.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Aug-25, 02:44 PM
Has anyone noticed that numbers after titles do not attract the same disdain in video games as they do in films?

Spoons
2010-Aug-25, 02:52 PM
Yes. But that's because the movies usually get worse and the games usually get better. The technology required to tell a good tale was perfected around fires in primitive times, the technology required to immerse yourself in an interactive gaming experience is improving constantly. It's not so much the name, it's what it represents.

ETA: For what it's worth, I think some of the back stories for the older games were probably a fair bit better than some of the newer ones though. Much like most action movies, many games just survive off spectacular graphics and faster processing. Not all though.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Aug-25, 03:23 PM
I broadly agree with all that, Spoons.

Fazor
2010-Aug-25, 03:47 PM
I just saw the review, yesterday at work, for Mafia II on the XBox. I didn't get time to check it all out, including videos, so I'm not sure, but it does sound good, and they did make fun of it in Penny Arcade, so I think I might want it. In the meantime I'm playing the CTRL-V Game.

They have a demo available on XBL. My friend highly recommended it (though his was the PC version, as he's not much of a console gamer). I've downloaded the demo on XBox, but haven't actually played it yet.

I'm also tempted to pick up a used copy of Assassin's Creed 2; I'm eager to see how the 3rd one ends up, as the multi-player aspect sounds like it will either be exceptionally fun, or won't work at all. But I haven't played any of the series. The original was oft panned for being repetitive and boring, so that turned me off to it. The sequel supposedly fixed all that, but Ive just never gotten around to playing it.

Spoons
2010-Aug-25, 04:10 PM
I never tried the first one, but I bought Assassin's Creed 2 some time around the start of the year. I like it - it flows very nicely. I was surprised by how much fun I thought it was, and how fluid all the movements were. That said, I've still got a long way to go to finish that one. I started it and then had to start a new XBox profile, so I lost all my progress, which probably wasn't really that far through it anyway at that stage. I just started it again recently, and I'm keen to knock that one over before I look at getting this third one (your mentioning it is the first I've heard of it, actually).

I'll have to download that demo some time then. Two weeks and I'll be back home at my city unit, where I'll have a direct line from the wall to the XBox, so downloading demos and just playing online without lag will be a possibility again. (I've been having to run it through the laptop, which itself runs on a wireless connection - it's totally unsuitable for online gaming.)

Paul Beardsley
2010-Aug-25, 04:15 PM
I'm keen to play Assassin's Creed 2 (when I have time) rather than 1 or 3 because 2 is set in Venice, Florence and Rome. As I can't afford another holiday at any of those places any time soon, the game seems like the next best thing.

Fazor
2010-Aug-25, 04:22 PM
(your mentioning it is the first I've heard of it, actually).

The multi-player is set up so it's (up to) 8 players. Each player is assigned another player that he/she must assassinate. Which means there's a player that's also out to assassinate you. Kills are a matter of getting close enough and then executing a one-button "kill move", so it's not a combat game. The fluid environment escapes/chases are still there, and certain types of kills are worth more points than others, based on the difficulty of the take-down.

The question will be, will it be balanced enough to actually promote sneakiness and cunning, or will a player that's willing to just run around killing things have the advantage? What about "campers" that just hide in some nook far from everything? And I'm not sure how the death mechanic works; are you respawned quickly and assigned a new mark? Or do you have to wait for the round to end?

Like I said; it sounds different enough to be intriguing (to me anyway), but it also sounds like what it's trying to pull off is very risky. It could either being a totally new and very enjoyable MP experience, or it could be broken and worthless. We'll see (US Release is some time in November, IIRC. Not sure if the UK/Euro release is the same time.)

Spoons
2010-Aug-25, 04:31 PM
I'm keen to play Assassin's Creed 2 (when I have time) rather than 1 or 3 because 2 is set in Venice, Florence and Rome. As I can't afford another holiday at any of those places any time soon, the game seems like the next best thing.
Yes, the setting is quite beautiful, I must say. I haven't holidayed there, but one of my friends, who recommended it to me, said it was great seeing buildings he'd seen not that long before on his holiday. I'm not sure they're that cool with letting you climb all over their stuff there either in the physical world.

The multi-player is set up so it's (up to) 8 players. Each player is assigned another player that he/she must assassinate. Which means there's a player that's also out to assassinate you. Kills are a matter of getting close enough and then executing a one-button "kill move", so it's not a combat game. The fluid environment escapes/chases are still there, and certain types of kills are worth more points than others, based on the difficulty of the take-down.

The question will be, will it be balanced enough to actually promote sneakiness and cunning, or will a player that's willing to just run around killing things have the advantage? What about "campers" that just hide in some nook far from everything? And I'm not sure how the death mechanic works; are you respawned quickly and assigned a new mark? Or do you have to wait for the round to end?

Like I said; it sounds different enough to be intriguing (to me anyway), but it also sounds like what it's trying to pull off is very risky. It could either being a totally new and very enjoyable MP experience, or it could be broken and worthless. We'll see (US Release is some time in November, IIRC. Not sure if the UK/Euro release is the same time.)

That does sound like a good concept! I hope it works ok. I really dislike games like Halo, just charge and shoot types. Dragon Rising is a good multiplayer game too, though it's very hard and you have to stick to the plans you make within your team. Rainbow 6: Vegas 1 & 2 were doozies.

I think part of what I really hate about Halo is the types that play it. A lot of very childish types - it just doesn't end up being much fun. This Assassins Creed 3 sounds like the sort of game that type might not like, which is good.

Fazor
2010-Aug-25, 04:44 PM
I think part of what I really hate about Halo is the types that play it. A lot of very childish types - it just doesn't end up being much fun. This Assassins Creed 3 sounds like the sort of game that type might not like, which is good.
Ugh. I've hated Halo and the Halo community since day one. I think the worst part was when the first Halo was released to the original xBox, and all the "Halo Kiddies" proclaimed how awesome and revolutionary it was. As an old-school gamer dating back to the Atari and Commadore days, it bugged me. Halo was not (and is not) revolutionary. It may have been the first really successful FPS on console (though I'd argue that Goldeneye64 was). But at the time of Halo's xBox release, the game as an FPS was on par with PC shooters 6 years older, and had nothing on the current PC shooters of the day.

And one could say the same thing about every single Halo release since. There hasn't been one original idea added. "Driveable vehicles?!?!" I remember doing that in the 90's (Starseige series had that, I believe. Among others.)

"King of the hill!"

Quake mods have been doing that since the early 90's.

And what really really "gets my goat" is that these console FPS'ers have some weird sense of superiority over PC gamers in the same genre. Give me a mouse and a keyboard and put me up against you on your little duel analogue controller and lets see who comes out on top. In fact, there's been a handful of franchises that are multi-platform who have tried to incorporate a shared online experience (ie, PC games and console gamers playing in the same matches through shared servers), and all those plans have been scrapped because PC games have such an overwhelming edge.

Blah! (See you got me started!) Halo is a mediocre franchise that for some inexplicable reason gained "the best franchise EVER!" status. I'll admit that the games have improved. But they've never been original or groundbreaking. Not even "Reach", which I believe comes out next week?

Anyone is entitled to like the games. We all get to have our opinions. But for the love of god please stop claiming that Halo was/is the game that shaped the FPS genre. It didn't!

Spoons
2010-Aug-25, 04:55 PM
Yep, that pretty nicely sums up my thoughts on Halo. Goldeneye - now that was a classic, on the Nintendo 64! 4 buddies on one console - great fun. Would've been so much better with the big tv screens of today too.

The workmate who got me onto XBox Live loves Halo, because he it savagely good at it, but he still hates the halo-babies. And yes, PC is much better for gaming - the reason I don't play much PC games anymore is because when I was a student all my cash went on the fast life and I had trouble saving to keep my PC up to date. This meant that I'd occasionally buy a game, only to find it wouldn't work on my computer, even though my PC met the req'd specs. I got sick of the drama and switched to XBox, where at least you know the game should work as designed, even if it's design isn't as good as a PC game.

It's a pity they don't make XBox games for keyboard & mouse use - I remember playing Vice City on the PC at a friends house and was blown away by how much better it was. I'd forgotten how much better aiming and free form movement is with the mouse.

Fazor
2010-Aug-25, 05:01 PM
I don't game much on PC anymore for the same reason; I found with spending est. $300 on an XBox, I can play any "cutting-edge" game that comes out and not have to worry about performance. PC I enjoy more, but can't afford to upgrade. And even if I do upgrade, the "cutting edge" games next year won't run well on it anyway, without another upgrade.

As for control, I'd say it's 50/50. I've never played a sports game that controls well with the keyboard/mouse. Adventure/Platform games I like better on console also. But as you said, anything with free-form camera control / aiming is a million times better with a mouse.

FWIW, last I heard MS and Sony aren't releasing keyboard/mouse perifrials for the same reason that they've scrapped PC/Console united online play; they feel it creates too big of a rift between those with a controller and those with the mouse/keyboard. Though you think that'd be the perfect business model, as it would force anyone who wants to compete to buy another $60-80 piece of hardware. *shrug*

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-25, 06:03 PM
Has anyone noticed that numbers after titles do not attract the same disdain in video games as they do in films?
... as long as the new release is made by the same who made the previous.

If produced by new people they very often build on the wrong things from the old game.
Silent Hill: Homecoming would have been a perfect example if it hadn't signaled the departure from the originals by changing to a subtitle rather than a number.

Fazor
2010-Aug-25, 06:36 PM
Silent Hill: Homecoming would have been a perfect example if it hadn't signaled the departure from the originals by changing to a subtitle rather than a number.

Speaking of that, I just saw a reference to it on some video game review place (can't remember if it was a magazine, online, or tv) and it was actually a favorable reference. Which made me recall your earlier criticism of it. If it's any consolation, I tend to trust your opinion more than the other.

I'm finding more and more that the people reviewing games are nearly (or more than) ten years younger than myself, and thus from a whole different generation of gamer. And it seems to me that many in that younger generation -- the ones that missed out on Atari or NES, or even SNES and Genesis, and the birth of PC gaming -- have very low standards for what constitutes a good game. Maybe I just don't agree with thier taste, the same way my parents like their music and hate the stuff I listen to (mostly).

Doodler
2010-Aug-25, 09:01 PM
... as long as the new release is made by the same who made the previous.

If produced by new people they very often build on the wrong things from the old game.

Not always. Among the cult classics is Star Control and Star Control 2. Ask any serious fan of the series, and 2 was the last game. There is no Star Control 3, it never existed.

Van Rijn
2010-Aug-25, 09:26 PM
Not always. Among the cult classics is Star Control and Star Control 2. Ask any serious fan of the series, and 2 was the last game. There is no Star Control 3, it never existed.

I had very mixed feelings about Star Control 3, and I consider Star Control 2 one of the best computer games I've ever played. SC3 was disappointing, but I liked some aspects of the story. The puppet style in SC3 was jarring, though I got used it. The default for the Doog ships was a game breaker - it made battles far too easy, but it was possible to adjust things to make it a bit more challenging. The big problem for me was the adrupt ending. I remember (and this was a long time ago) not quite believing the game had ended. I had the impression they had run out of money or time, and had to cut the end story.

Spoons
2010-Aug-25, 10:46 PM
FWIW, last I heard MS and Sony aren't releasing keyboard/mouse perifrials for the same reason that they've scrapped PC/Console united online play; they feel it creates too big of a rift between those with a controller and those with the mouse/keyboard. Though you think that'd be the perfect business model, as it would force anyone who wants to compete to buy another $60-80 piece of hardware. *shrug*

I just thought of one other reason why they might not be releasing mouse controllers. When you have a mouse for moving the camera around, it gives you the ability to move what's on the screen faster than the graphics card can handle without getting all choppy. I'm not sure whether it was a consideration, ut it would be an issue - it's show up the shortcomings of the graphics card. A bud of mine went out and got the best graphics card available in the store, went home and was moving the mouse erratically (no, reread that, I said erratically) just to test it out, and found a slight stutter, so he went and got a second one. It takes huge power to remove that completely.

With a controller you simply can't move as fast, so you can't make that issue so obvious.

But yes, sports games and driving games are the other reason for why I went XBox.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-25, 11:24 PM
Which actually makes my point, as Star Control 3 was developed by Legend Entertainment who were hired for the job by the distributors of the series, whereas 1 and 2 were done by Toys for Bob.

And Yes, UQM is a wonderful game, I'm quite mad that I can't get it installed on my FreeBSD laptop at the moment because the sources aren't available right now.

NickW
2010-Aug-26, 06:13 PM
With a controller you simply can't move as fast, so you can't make that issue so obvious.

My brother spends more time in Modern Warfare 2 then anything else and the problem I have playing against him is he cranks the sensitivity all the way up. You can turn unbelievable fast in that game on the PS3.

Spoons
2010-Aug-27, 12:39 AM
Ah, yeah, the sensitivity function occurred to me after posting that, but I imagined it would still be less than if you shake a mouse violently back & forth. Is the PS3 graphics card superior to the XBox 360 one though? I imagine so - I saw some new game my housemate was playing and it looked insanely good.

Fazor
2010-Aug-27, 02:15 AM
I think the PS3, hardware wise, surpasses the XBox all around. Yet even if they were the same price, I think I'd still select the xbox. Blu-ray is not a draw for me, as my tv is only ED and not HD anyway. Most of the best games are multi-platform; but as far as platform specific games, I like the XBox's exclusives better than PS3's.

. . . and I hate to say [that, because] I'm certianly not an MS fanboy. In fact, the reason I waited so long to get an XBox was 100% based on my dislike of Microsoft. But the games won out and I bought one eventually anyway.

In games news; I completed "Point Lookout" DLC today, and am now working on "The Pitt". [fallout3]

[edits]

Spoons
2010-Aug-27, 02:25 AM
We seem to share the same thoughts on this, Fazor. 'cept I've never played Fallout 3.

I originally bought the my XBox because it had a cricket game (don't hit me - I started playing them because as a kid I had a bad temper and no patience, so I started playing them to help me build up my patience - it has helped, I believe) I wanted. I'd bought it for the PC, got home and it didn't work. I was really annoyed, and cashed up, so I went straight back out and got the 360, which had the game.

NickW
2010-Aug-27, 05:13 AM
I picked the PS3 because of the huge difference in hardware versus it and the 360. I love blue ray, and not just for movies. The blu-ray functionality is what helps some of the PS3 games look so fantastic. The ability to store huge amounts of data (50 gigs duel layer) makes a big differance in the type of games publishers are willing to put out because they are not really bound by the amount of data the media can hold. MGS4 is a great example of how good blu-ray can help.

Of course. I will admit I am a Sony fanboy. But I am also willing to admit there are some games that I have played on the 360 that I would prefer to play on it rather then the PS3.

Fazor
2010-Aug-28, 10:32 PM
Okay, so I slashed my way through 'The Pit', and disentigrated the alien heads as I blasted through 'Mothership Zeta', leaving only 'Broken Steel' left to go. In anticipation, I'm picking up Assassin's Creed II when we go out for dinner here in a minute.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-28, 10:44 PM
I'm back to playing X3: Terran Conflict.

Fazor
2010-Aug-29, 12:30 AM
I'm back to playing X3: Terran Conflict.

I've heard of it, but not much about it.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Aug-29, 11:50 AM
The immediate game is a single player first person shooter in space.

I've seen it described as single player Eve Online and I can see why as they have many superficial similarities.
Among the differences is:

the economy is only you and the NPC's. It's resource & factory based, with prices depending on availability and NPC traders are competing with the player for the good trades.
there's less of the jarring of suspension of disbelief you by necessity get in MMORG's when quests reset so others can do them. The world has actual development over time, i.e. if you do a quest to buy, transport and place a factory for an NPC, that factory will then be a permanent feature of the game, if you fail to protect an NPC factory from pirate attacks, that factory won't respawn but will rather be gone. Your actions have long term consequences.
because it's first person instead of EO's third person AI combat, player skill matters a lot so it is entirely possible to take out stronger opponents by being a better pilot that the AI
skills aren't learned by your character through XP, but rather by yourself through actually getting better at flying your craft
instead of only one, you can command many vessels at the same time both for combat, trade and mining
projectiles have limited velocity and missiles have limited guidance and/or maneuverability so in a fast/nimble craft, dodging bullets is a viable tactic

Moose
2010-Aug-29, 04:11 PM
It also has a pretty intimidating learning curve for the uninitiated. The game isn't hard, but what passes for a tutorial is thin and largely unhelpful.

On the plus side, there are mods to add in ships from Star Wars, Babylon 5, and Wing Commander Privateer.

Doodler
2010-Aug-29, 06:12 PM
Which actually makes my point, as Star Control 3 was developed by Legend Entertainment who were hired for the job by the distributors of the series, whereas 1 and 2 were done by Toys for Bob.

Ah ha! Ok, now it makes sense, even if it is still tragic :)

Fazor
2010-Aug-30, 01:38 PM
Assassin's creed seems *okay* so far. The controls aren't as fluid as I had imagined from all the raving reviews, but they're fairly tight. Same with the combat controls. And the characters are modeled great for the majority of the game, but anytime they're talking during one of the many 'cut scenes', the faces just look weird. Like everyone's wearing a thick rubber mask rather than a real face. It stands out enough to be a little jarring for me.

There was just a line of dialogue that was so funny it actually make me "laugh out loud", which doesn't happen often. I don't want to give it away though because it's funnier if it's a surprise.

Yet, if all of what I typed makes it sound like I don't really like the game, that's the wrong impression. It's oddly addictive; and I have the same problem I have with fallout3, in that I'll get on to play for just a few minutes, you know, just to do that one quest/objective. Then I'll say, "well, might as well do this next one too", then rinse-repeat until I've wasted over an hour playing.

Spoons
2010-Aug-31, 12:45 AM
Yeah, that's what I found with the game. It's one where you can start playing it for a few minutes before bed, then next thing it's 2 in the morning.

I saw Mafia II yesterday, the good housemate bought it for his PS3. I like what I see. I'll be doing some budgeting to see whether I can afford to get it on payday, otherwise the following month. That gives me between 2 and 6 weeks to finish Red Dead Redemption, which I hadn't played in quite some time, until last Saturday.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Sep-25, 03:04 PM
Still mainly playing X3: Terran Conflict and in a fit of insanity just ordered the X SuperBox despite already having paid for the last 2 of the 5 games in it.
I like a Games company that's willing to take their 10 and 11 year old games and upgrade them to run well on Vista and Windows 7 for a rerelease.

Currently fetching NASA's free sim game Moonbase Alpha on Steam, anyone tried playing that?
Update, it's timed repairs and stuff, for some reason I'm experiencing a several frames lag in the mouse, which makes it too frustrating to be any fun.
Second update, configuring the NVidia driver to prerender 0 frames for the game made the lag acceptable, looks like it's definitely a game where teamwork is going to be a major part of enjoyment, which means it's not really for me:( Might have been fun though.

Fazor
2010-Sep-27, 02:57 AM
I just installed Sid Meiers' Civ IV (Because I wanted the new 'Civ V' but I downloaded the demo and this laptop couldn't handle it.) I'm having fun with it so far; I've been wanting a good strategy game--and with the books I've been reading, I'm also in the "birth of mankind -- first civilizations" mind-set. So it's the perfect fit. Or, at least a pretty good one.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Sep-27, 01:41 PM
Well, after part-exchanging a bunch of old PS2 and Wii games, we got a pre-owned copy of Assassin's Creed II for £7.

So far we've had a quick look at it.

The bad language annoys me. Okay, I'm not a prude, but it's so gratuitous. I'm not really that keen on the framing narrative, for that matter. Adventures in recognisable historical locations do not mean we have to have pseudo time travel nonsense.

And Florence doesn't feel right. I know my way around the real city, and I don't think the streets have changed that much, and I don't think there were so many flights of steps - as I recall the streets are quite level.

This is of course just my personal taste. Others may prefer a slightly more "dramatic" layout, which is fine.

Fazor
2010-Sep-27, 03:43 PM
I think they cool it with the language a bit, but I'm half- deaf and rely mostly on the subtitles so I may just tune it out. I don't mind some bad language, but it bothers me when its every-other word.

I can't speak for the layout, but a minor gripe I had was how the game was touted for its open-world running and fluidity of climbing/chasing/etc; but that this was done by filling the world with identical obsticals like crates and inexplicably placed balconies etc. Kinda lazy, imho.

And as a matter of fact, I was watching the State game Saturday with two friends who have also played AC2, and the one thing we all could agree on was that the modern-day segments were jarring, unneccesary, and a detractor from the story line rather than an 'interesting twist'.

But all that said, I still found it to be a mostly enjoyable experience.

Spoons
2010-Sep-28, 02:18 AM
Well, I just picked up a copy of F1 2010. I'm a racing game freak (I enjoy them, not sure how good I really am) so I had to get this one. I prefer the sports games where they try to capture as much as possible of the background atmosphere too, so this one has been on my radar for a while.

Could be a few late nights coming up... looking forward to knocking off today.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-03, 01:04 AM
After reading a couple of interviews with Rhianna Pratchett (PTerry's daughter), who's a game author with a strong focus on story and plot (she co-wrote the Overlord series and Heavenly Sword, amongst others) and noting that tshe mentioned PsychoNauts as a game she'd liked for its focus on story, and finding that here's a demo on Stream I had to try it.

Then, as the demo had already given me more pleasure that most movies, for longer than most of them last, and the game costs less than a cinema ticket with popcorn and coke, I bought it.
Now to see if the game's as nice as the demo.

Moose
2010-Oct-03, 02:22 PM
Still playing Pokemon SoulSilver, Fallout 3, and I've added Rome: Total War to the current roster.

Fazor
2010-Oct-03, 02:47 PM
I almost got Rome: Total War instead of Civilization IV, but I was worried it wouldn't run well enough on the laptop. I sorta remember barely being able to run it on my more powerful (but, now, also more deceased) desktop. My friend loved Rome: Total War ... and the Total War series in general.

I've heard a lot of good things about Psychonauts, Henrick, but it's one of those games that I just never played. I remember almost picking it up from the "Greatest Hits" or some such discount bin (for what . . . PS2?)

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-03, 03:53 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Psychonauts, Henrik(no c!), but it's one of those games that I just never played. I remember almost picking it up from the "Greatest Hits" or some such discount bin (for what . . . PS2?)
It's one of those first/third person games where you run around doing things, while collecting stuff.
The nice twist, which makes it suitable for a large age range, is that a lot of the action takes place in the minds of other people, so it's their fears and anxieties you're fighting against, something which doesn't matter if you don't understand about that studd, so kids will just play for the fun of the very different environments, while adults can take the extra delight there is in the punnish references to psychology, e.g. one of the subjobs it to help the person whose mind you're in to "sort out their emotional baggage", which in-games take the form of collecting luggage tags and getting them to the luggages, trunks and bags that lie scattered around the place.
And it has quite good voice acting as well. And filled with cute twists, such as the protagonist running away from the circus, rather than the classic running away to join the circus. Which incidentally means there's an in-game rationale for the extraordinary acrobatic skills that are normally just taken for granted in most other platform games.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Oct-06, 03:42 AM
Civ 5 is actually out now. I have Civ 4 but I like Civ 3 more addicting some reason.

Fazor
2010-Oct-06, 02:19 PM
'
Civ 5 is actually out now. . .
IKnow, but my laptop won't run it. Tried the demo. TBH, it even struggles with Civ IV at times. But I'm addicted to it now.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-06, 08:22 PM
Just missed a nights sleep over Psychonauts, around 10 I wanted to just retry that level that I frustratingly couldn't complete last time I played (a race against the clock thing to train/gain a new power), got sucked in by the story and when I emerged, it was 6:30 in the morning.

dethfire
2010-Oct-06, 10:32 PM
I just finished Mass Effect 2 and all the DLCs. Really enjoyed it!

Moose
2010-Oct-06, 10:52 PM
I just finished Mass Effect 2 and all the DLCs. Really enjoyed it!

I loved Kasumi's DLC. Not a big fan of Kasumi herself, but the level was superb, and the SMG well worth the detour.

Doodler
2010-Oct-10, 01:59 PM
Running in Lord of the Rings Online right now, since it went free to play (something of an oxymoron). Its still a lot of fun, though. They've paid pretty good attention to lore and the community is small (despite the recent influx of freebie tryouts) and relatively mature.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-10, 03:51 PM
Playing X: Beyond the frontier, the first game of the series, as my Superbox arrived in the mail yesterday.
It's interesting to see how much of the basic game play is still there 10 years and four other games later. This is definitely a series where they started with a winning formula and didn't throw out good game play to make room for shiny sparkles in the later games as so may other game series have done.
It helps a lot that it's the same people in the same company. They really do need to learn to pay more attention to the voice acting in secondary dialog though. For immersion, lines you hear repeated hundreds of times is actually more important to get right than the odd cutscene you only see once.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Oct-10, 04:31 PM
I am playing Chess Titans and feeling quite small.

Looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever for that aaaahhh, kick-ET-butt joyous release.

Elukka
2010-Oct-10, 04:58 PM
For immersion, lines you hear repeated hundreds of times is actually more important to get right than the odd cutscene you only see once.
Lost profitsssaaah.
Yeah.
Egosoft aren't very good storytellers and the universe isn't very immersing to me, but there's something about a mix of Elite, Transport Tycoon and empire management that gets me and then keeps me in for the next few weeks.

Fazor
2010-Oct-24, 08:33 PM
I've been sick since Thursday, and haven't really left the couch since I left work Thursday evening. The exception to that was yesterday morning, when I had to go to the vet to get Charlie's seizure medicine re-filled before our existing pills ran-out. Since I was out anyway, I stopped at GameStop and picked up the 'Platinum Hits' edition of 'Fable II'.

I spent most of the day yesterday, and a few hours this morning, playing it. It's . . . pretty much exactly what I expected. Good. Not great. But, well, 'almost great'. There's a few games that I want, but the thing that tipped the scales in Fabel's favor was that I love games where you 'adventure' and find stuff . . . armor, weapons, etc. And there's a lot of treasure chests and hidden spots to find. The problem is, there's very few items available, so all the treasure you find turns out to be the same worthless junk over and over. That's annoying.

But the world itself is very well crafted with lots of very amusing humor. For instance, one of the first 'quests' is to round up some arrest warrents that blew away from a city guard. One of the one's I retrieved read something like "Wanted [name?], for assualt with a deadly weapon. Assault with a potentially deadly weapon. And assault with a weapon we wouldn't have thought could possibly be deadly, but unfortunately was." . . . like any great joke, they tell it better. But you get the idea.

Control is okay. Combat is fun, if not too easy. Not much skill involved; just slash. Or shoot. Or magic. Or all three, since they're seamlessly integrated. It's fun to shoot an enemy as he's charging you, then draw your sword as he comes near, and after a few slashes, finish them off with a fireball.

It's a game that has a lot to find in it, or you can just play through the main story. If you do the later though, you'll be missing a lot. You can buy homes and rent them out or live in them with your husband or wife, (of which you can have multiple, so long as they don't find out about each other ;)). You can buy shops and taverns etc to make money. There's a morality system. Etc.

Some of it comes off as gimmicky or even tiresome, but for the most part, the world is enjoyable. My character thus far is just and pure, but I'm already thinking about how fun it would be to play through again and just be evil.

Certassar
2010-Oct-24, 09:30 PM
I just started playing Fallout New Vegas. It's been a while since I played Fallout 3, so I tend to die a lot. I've got to find bigger guns. :-)

Fazor
2010-Oct-24, 10:26 PM
New Vegas was another that I'd like to get. And the new 'Castlevania' game looks fun. But wasn't sure if I could set down $60 for a new game. Fable II was just $20 since it's old, and in the 'hits' collection.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-25, 12:31 AM
<snip>I spent most of the day yesterday, and a few hours this morning, playing it. It's . . . pretty much exactly what I expected. Good. Not great. But, well, 'almost great'. There's a few games that I want, but the thing that tipped the scales in Fabel's favor was that I love games where you 'adventure' and find stuff . . . armor, weapons, etc. And there's a lot of treasure chests and hidden spots to find. The problem is, there's very few items available, so all the treasure you find turns out to be the same worthless junk over and over. That's annoying.
That would sorta put you straight in the middle of the demographic for that item-munchkin game over all item munchkin-games, Diablo II.

Fazor
2010-Oct-25, 12:57 AM
That would sorta put you straight in the middle of the demographic for that item-munchkin game over all item munchkin-games, Diablo II.

I played Diablo I way back when it was originally released. Never got much into II. I know Blizzards finally been dripping out more and more details on Diablo III, but my system won't run that, unless I have a new computer by then.

Van Rijn
2010-Oct-25, 02:47 AM
I loved Diablo I. I always played single-player. Diablo II was a massive disappointment. I remember the first time I played it, I couldn't find the save game option, but there was something in the instruction book about it saving when you exited. Okay, so I stopped for dinner or whatever, closed the game, restarted later . . . and found that most of my progress was gone. After a bit more checking, I realized that it saved almost nothing. I guess it saved teleport spots, or whatever it called them, but those were far and few between, and the monsters respawned, so there was no sense that you were actually stopping the big-bad. That killed the game for me.

Spoons
2010-Oct-25, 04:25 AM
Some of it comes off as gimmicky or even tiresome, but for the most part, the world is enjoyable. My character thus far is just and pure, but I'm already thinking about how fun it would be to play through again and just be evil.
I saw you were playing that on Friday, when I hopped on there to play Red Dead multiplayer. It was the first time I'd had a go at multiplayer Red Dead - I like it.

Yeah, I've got to get my copy of Fable II back from the old housemate. I haven't played it in a while, but I liked it. I think I was being a good pure boy, but I want to have a go being an evil mongrel. Blondes have more fun, I hear, and most evil people are blonde.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Oct-25, 10:29 AM
I played Diablo I way back when it was originally released. Never got much into II. I know Blizzards finally been dripping out more and more details on Diablo III, but my system won't run that, unless I have a new computer by then.
You could try to have a look at Torchlight, it's got Diablo 1'ish game play with a Diablo 2'ish item system and way created by some of the developers who did Diablo for Blizzard.

Steam has a free demo which is really the full game except your experience level is limited to 7 and you can't descend move than the first dozen dungeon levels.

Doodler
2010-Nov-01, 08:10 PM
Still tooling around in LOTRO, and so far I've been impressed with how well Turbine has stuck to the script, as it were, from Tolkien's source material, and not the movies. Even Tom Bambadil is there. The areas are pulled right out of Tolkien's notes and the story runs parallel to, without tripping over, the first book in the trilogy.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-01, 10:18 PM
Playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on the PS3. I love it; it's so forgiving! The scenery is beautiful too.

It's probably not for hardcore gamers because it's so easy, but what the hey, I'm playing for entertainment. It's like playing the lead character in an Indiana Jones-type movie.

PetersCreek
2010-Nov-01, 10:42 PM
I just finished my first run through the new Borderlands DLC, Claptrap's New Robot Revolution. I also purchased and downloaded Star Wars: The Force Unleased II and started getting familiar with it.

Fazor
2010-Nov-02, 02:40 PM
I had Borderlands on XBox (is it PC also?) and enjoyed it; but I like multiplayer. The co-op multiplayer was a refreshing change from the mindless deathmatch type games, but it really required team-work. And I don't have a headset. Which makes it hard to work as a team, when you can't communicate. I think I've traded it in.

Still enjoying Fable II. Will have to get Fable III; though I might just ask for it for Christmas. I keep telling myself I'm going to be good and every time I want to buy an expensive new game/gadget/whatever, I'll instead take the cost and put that money in my savings account. You know, be financially responsible or some such. Yuk. :)

Spoons
2010-Nov-09, 04:52 AM
I know what you mean, Fazor. I had all these ideas about saving my tax return this year, but I think instead I'm going to buy a kegerator(tap beer at home - yay!) and Fable III. Because of this I have fired up Fable II again, and am going to try finish that before I get III.

To maintain some semblence of responsibility I'll also pay off council rates, other bills and my gym membership. Just like a real person!

Moose
2010-Nov-09, 08:35 AM
Currently swapping between:

* Fallout: New Vegas (Unparalleled writing, but unstable, pretty much what I've come to expect from Obsidian. Actually dabbling with a middle-aged protagonist. Rare to play a game that actually lets you do that.)
* Dragon Age: Origins (two games running in parallel, to see the last DLCs and mods.)
* Pokemon Soulsilver (Handy for when I have to wait 4+ hours at the walk-in clinic for ear infections. On the plus side, caught my Zapdos last night.)

Van Rijn
2010-Nov-09, 08:41 AM
Currently swapping between:

* Fallout: New Vegas (Unparalleled writing, but unstable, pretty much what I've come to expect from Obsidian. Actually dabbling with a middle-aged protagonist. Rare to play a game that actually lets you do that.)

Fallout III was so unstable on my computer that I couldn't play it very far, and from googling, it seemed instability was a common problem, so I've put Obsidian games on my avoid list.

Moose
2010-Nov-09, 09:35 AM
Fallout III was so unstable on my computer that I couldn't play it very far, and from googling, it seemed instability was a common problem, so I've put Obsidian games on my avoid list.

Actually, it's not as bad as I'd made out just now. Thing is, Fallout 3 got fairly stable when patched, particularly when you added the unofficial patches. You might give Fallout 3 another look. New Vegas should be okay in a few months.

The only reason Obsidian games start out unstable is that they're not big enough to insist upon "when it's done". Lucasarts is particularly bad for this.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-09, 06:57 PM
Finished Uncharted. Although tricky in one or two places, it was never truly difficult in Normal mode, but it was too much fun for me to complain about this!

Fazor
2010-Nov-09, 07:13 PM
Finished Uncharted. Although tricky in one or two places, it was never truly difficult in Normal mode, but it was too much fun for me to complain about this!

If a game is fun enough, and more importantly, has an engrossing story, I don't mind if it's easy. In fact, I'd rather have no real challenge and get to experience the story than to have it too difficult, and thus have to constantly replay segments, thus detracting from the story.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-09, 07:50 PM
If a game is fun enough, and more importantly, has an engrossing story, I don't mind if it's easy. In fact, I'd rather have no real challenge and get to experience the story than to have it too difficult, and thus have to constantly replay segments, thus detracting from the story.
That's one of the things I consider a large plus in the Dragon Age: Origins game, if you get stuck some place you can retry that specific part at an easier setting then turn the difficulty back up to challenging but not deadly again for the rest of the game.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-09, 08:16 PM
That's one of the things I consider a large plus in the Dragon Age: Origins game, if you get stuck some place you can retry that specific part at an easier setting then turn the difficulty back up to challenging but not deadly again for the rest of the game.

That's a brilliant idea. Hope more games writers follow suit.

Fazor
2010-Nov-09, 08:18 PM
I loved 'Origins'. Gameplay was fun and controls were pretty tight. Story was well told if not super original. It's one of the few games I played all the way through the end. But I can say the same about the other two Bioware games I've played (Mass Effect 1 and 2.)

I'm still working my way through Fable II. I really do enjoy the game. Taking my time with it; trying to do as many as the side quests as I can. I just haven't had much time to play.

Dickenmeyer
2010-Nov-09, 11:04 PM
Munchkin Quest That's right, a board game. Not only that, but a board game based on a card game. It has proven to be a big hit with the kids and my son actually voluntarily got off of the XBox to play it. Hilarious for a former AD&D player too, and Kovalic's artwork is great.

Van Rijn
2010-Nov-10, 06:18 AM
Actually, it's not as bad as I'd made out just now. Thing is, Fallout 3 got fairly stable when patched, particularly when you added the unofficial patches. You might give Fallout 3 another look. New Vegas should be okay in a few months.

Is there an unofficial patch after 1.7? I had consistent crashes to screen after getting to the surface after the initial vault run.

Moose
2010-Nov-10, 08:30 AM
Is there an unofficial patch after 1.7? I had consistent crashes to screen after getting to the surface after the initial vault run.

Hmm. The unofficial patches fix in-game things like glitchy quests and the like. I'm fairly certain it won't do crashes.

For the crashes, though, can you tell me more about the precise moment of the crash? Does it crash during the transition, during the flash of light, or do you actually see any of the landscape/skyline? Do you make it down the hill? Etc. That might help pin it down.

For now, I can only suggest making sure your video drivers are fully up to date, turning bloom/hdr off, trying windowed mode, and reducing your game resolution to see if that helps any. Can you tell me what your video card is?

Fazor
2010-Nov-10, 02:29 PM

I can't speak for FO:3 since I played that on XBox, but I had issues with Oblivion on PC. It seems to be a common theme with their games; however a bit of tinkering with the game's .ini files (as directed by various help I found online) and I was able to get it mostly stable. It could still crash, but maybe once every hour and a half, rather than every 3 minutes.

Oddly enough, it was a sound effect setting that was causing my issue.

Van Rijn
2010-Nov-13, 12:12 AM
For the crashes, though, can you tell me more about the precise moment of the crash? Does it crash during the transition, during the flash of light, or do you actually see any of the landscape/skyline? Do you make it down the hill? Etc. That might help pin it down.

It's after the flash of light, after leaving the vault, on the hill. I can look around a little, but there is typically 30 seconds or so, just a bit of moving around, before it crashs.

For now, I can only suggest making sure your video drivers are fully up to date, turning bloom/hdr off, trying windowed mode, and reducing your game resolution to see if that helps any. Can you tell me what your video card is?

It's an NVIDEA, but I don't remember the model. I'm not on the machine at the moment, so I'll have to check later.

When I tried playing the game, I did update the drivers to current, and tried full and windowed mode. I restarted the game from the beginning, to see if it was a corrupt game file, but it died at the same spot in the game. I might try it again this weekend with a bit more experimenting on video options.

Moose
2010-Nov-13, 01:03 AM
It's after the flash of light, after leaving the vault, on the hill. I can look around a little, but there is typically 30 seconds or so, just a bit of moving around, before it crashs.

Okay, the sequence of events you should be getting is this: you exit the vault. You get the flash of light, and see the skyline. You may get a bunch of quest notifications at this point if you have any of the DLCs installed and active. About five seconds later, you're given enough XP for level 2 (and then some, depending on how thorough you've been.) Once the leveling screen is done, you can proceed down the hill. If you take a left, you get within the outer range of GNR Radio and the notification shows up in the pipboy.

That's about 30 seconds worth if you're not loafing too much. Am I to understand you're crashing between the flash of light and the level up screen?

It's an NVIDEA, but I don't remember the model. I'm not on the machine at the moment, so I'll have to check later.

There are some NVidia cards (laptop onboard chipsets) that will not handle some mandatory (for the game) Direct X 9.3 features. That's one possibility.

Another possibility is what Fazor suggested, that it's actually a sound problem. Try making sure the game is set to play through the default windows sound interface. Or, if it's there, switch it to your specific hardware (if it's listed.) Another thing to try is to set it to stereo mode rather than surround or better.

Also, make sure you try the vsync setting (or if it's on, unset it.) That can cause/relieve video problems sometimes.

A fourth thing to try, if you're running ffdshow or the Community Codec pack is to add fallout3.exe to the exceptions list in both the video and audio configurations. All bethesda based-games, at this time, are violently incompatible with ffdshow.

When I tried playing the game, I did update the drivers to current, and tried full and windowed mode. I restarted the game from the beginning, to see if it was a corrupt game file, but it died at the same spot in the game. I might try it again this weekend with a bit more experimenting on video options.

Good luck with it. I'll check in now and again on the weekend to see how you're doing.

Oh. I'll say this. I've been playing New Vegas for a week now. The crash/reboots are bothersome, but holy moley, that's a fine game. The civilization issues that get handwaved a bit in Fallout 3 are never all that far from your mind (like: why haven't the plants started to recover yet?) You really get the feeling in New Vegas that people could exist/survive that way. It just feels so much more authentic.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-13, 08:10 AM
Got Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. We gave it just half an hour yesterday evening, as we had other things to do, but we love it already.

captain swoop
2010-Nov-14, 07:59 PM
Just shooting my way through Doom 3 again on the PC and just finished original Halo again, what a great game it was, got to love the relentless 'Flood'

Thining of having a go at Far Cry again next.

Spoons
2010-Nov-15, 11:08 AM
Is that Far Cry 1 or 2? I got 2 at first, never finished it yet but since then I saw 1 in a cheap bin so I grabbed that, still hardly played it yet either, though I hear good things about it.

Fazor
2010-Nov-16, 12:40 AM
*Still* playing Fable II, but I've had very liittle tv time to do so. As sugh, I've decided to dust off my PSP, which thus far had been a total waste of money (as I've had it for almost two years, and used it for a total of about 2 hours.) So now, while Tara's watching TV, I've started playing Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. Doubt I'll really get into it, but we'll see. As yet, I cna't really tell what's gooing on. Just continually bash 'x' to attack. :-P

captain swoop
2010-Nov-16, 11:58 PM
Far Cry 1

A far better game I think. It's such an immersive environment. Turn the graphics up 'all the way' and just go for a walk along the beach or in the jungle.

Spoons
2010-Nov-19, 06:58 AM
Ah, cool. It turns out the ones I've got at home are Far Cry 2 (which I got first) and Far Cry Instincts: Evolution. I haven't played Instincts: Evolution yet, but I think I'll give it a bash tonight.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Nov-28, 02:07 PM
Just spent 2 weeks obsessively playing Dwarf Fortress (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/) to the exclusion of everything (including BAUT) except sporadic sleep, occasional eating and work.

Too much time wasted posting, must get back to the fortress...

Paul Beardsley
2010-Nov-28, 02:41 PM
Finished Uncharted 2 two days ago. Surprisingly easy endgame, which comes shortly after an unenjoyably difficult fight with two guardians.

Certassar
2010-Nov-29, 12:37 AM
Just got stuck in Fallout New Vegas for the third time because of game bugs. For those of you thinking of playing this game: Wait until the game has been patched properly!

DukePaul
2010-Nov-29, 01:00 AM
135 hours on Fallout New Vegas(PC) and there were still areas I had not checked out, but it was time to wrap this baby up. The game would crash at least once a session but with a 1000 save capacity and a game like this you: save save save. Really didn't make much use of the campfires and my companions too often would take off the start a fight I didn't want even if gave them a order not to. Endgame with the Legion was tough but let me suggest one thing to help: lots of Stealthboys.

Fazor
2010-Nov-29, 02:57 PM
I just got a new laptop, so I decided to take advantage of Blizzard's offer of 7 free days to come back to World of Warcraft (I had closed my account . . . some time ago. I want to say last Spring?)

I've not decided if I'll start playing again, but I am enjoying the new quests so far. I mean, they're the same mechanics so far as they've always been, but at least the story is different. And it's neat seeing different areas being under different faction control etc.

Moose
2010-Nov-29, 09:17 PM
Have a new gamer's rig (being shipped in no fewer than four boxes) on the way. Looking forward to jacking the settings waaaaay up on my classics list with crazy-long mod bundles: Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Medieval 2 Total War. :D

Fazor
2010-Nov-29, 09:28 PM
Have a new gamer's rig (being shipped in no fewer than four boxes) on the way. Looking forward to jacking the settings waaaaay up on my classics list with crazy-long mod bundles: Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Medieval 2 Total War. :D

**Tracking number intercepted. Packages re-routed to Ohio**

I mean, neat!

Moose
2010-Nov-29, 09:41 PM
**bans Fazor with extreme prejudice**

I mean, **bans Fazor with extreme prejudice**!

( ;) )

Fazor
2010-Nov-29, 09:44 PM
So long as I still get the rig, I think it's a fair trade. I'll miss BAUT, but I'll be too busy gaming to notice!

Moose
2010-Nov-29, 09:47 PM
:confused: :think: :eek: :doh: Darn. I guess I have to give you that one. (Not the rig, though. That's mine. Mine, I say!)

Hlafordlaes
2010-Nov-30, 02:30 AM
Moose, gimme the specs so I can drool properly! And nice to see you're apparently an avid Oblivion fan. I'm fixing to upgrade to a (modest) E5700 on my trusty Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA. I figure I can get up to 4GHz that way to better handle my next install of the game (full FCOM, big textures, da woiks!). Oblivion is soooo CPU limited even folks with the latest and greatest still complain. Earlier, going from an NVidia 7600GT to an 8800GTS barely upped the fps at all, grrr.

BTW, Bethesda has confirmed they are doing a sequel that this time picks up where Oblivion left off. Here's hoping it's multi-threaded!

Moose
2010-Nov-30, 08:36 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure I really want an Oblivion 2 or Elder Scrolls 4. Seriously, the mod community is kicking so much tail right now, I don't want anything that makes them want to start over. (Although I do want more story.) Heck, I can (now) sail a Lateen rigged boat, with my companion on board, straight from the Imperial City to Anvil in only two game days. With bulk cargo! (Produce.) I want Bethesda (or modders) to fill in the rest of the world, and I want viable trade routes to service.

Morrblivion, while I understand Bethesda's concerns about the precedent, may well be a stroke of absolute genius. What I want from Bethesda is a modding platform (which they do well), a story (which they do well enough, but I'd rather they work closely with Obsidian on the writing/scripting), and a world to stand on. The modders can in the rest, as they're not constrained by the "lowest common hardware" doctrine.

It's not leading edge or anything, but it's a lot more recent than what I'm using. Basically a quad-core AMD (at 3.2ghz per core) carrying two GTX 470s in SLI mode. I considered a single 480 with intent to get another when the prices come down, but that arrangement will definitely bottleneck. Tom's Hardware suggests that the 470s will max out what the platform can (ever) reasonably be expected to service at slightly less than the price of a single 480. Maxed out is good enough for me.

Only 8GB of RAM for now (I want to be sure my software's actually going to make use of it before I consider springing for more), but I'm adding 4 terrabytes to the 2.5 TB's I'm migrating from my existing box. New full tower case (with far better ventilation than my existing one). I'm going a bit stiff with the cooling, but better loud than hot at first. I can always back off on the fans as I get a better idea of the airflow needs.

I'll try the onboard audio for now.

captain swoop
2010-Nov-30, 11:14 AM
Just got an X-Box and a big pile of Games for free :) so I am going to have a go at Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic

Hlafordlaes
2010-Nov-30, 01:02 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure I really want an Oblivion 2 or Elder Scrolls 4. Seriously, the mod community is kicking so much tail right now, I don't want anything that makes them want to start over. (Although I do want more story.) Heck, I can (now) sail a Lateen rigged boat, with my companion on board, straight from the Imperial City to Anvil in only two game days. With bulk cargo! (Produce.) I want Bethesda (or modders) to fill in the rest of the world, and I want viable trade routes to service.

What I don't know yet (and haven't checked recently) is if they are going to use a newer version of the Gamebryo game engine or update the CS, or if the game will install as an expansion pack for users with an existing installation, allowing the story line to continue that way (which I suspect will be the case). At any rate, agreed that the mod community has done wonders, and in spite of Wrye Bash, I usually bump up against the max esp plug-in limit what with all the mods I enjoy. Gonna try Deadly Reflex next time around; never bothered before.

Morrblivion, while I understand Bethesda's concerns about the precedent, may well be a stroke of absolute genius. What I want from Bethesda is a modding platform (which they do well), a story (which they do well enough, but I'd rather they work closely with Obsidian on the writing/scripting), and a world to stand on. The modders can in the rest, as they're not constrained by the "lowest common hardware" doctrine.

I haven't yet decided whether to try it until the release is more mature. After managing/cleaning all my mods and installs so that I never come across purple textures nor exclamation marks, I am loathe to experience them again.

...GTX 470s in SLI mode
Nice!

I'll try the onboard audio for now.
Oblivion is one of the few games that has prompted me to install a sound card, since as I'm sure you know onboard sound acceleration can cause stuttering or crashing in the game. OTOH, I only had to do that on my beloved Abit VP6 (dual socket PIII), which was the platform I was on when I fell in love with the game (altho I do usually disable music even on my current board).

Happy installing when you new gear arrives! Lucky you have all those terabytes, as a fully modded game and all the install files can really eat into disk space.

Fazor
2010-Nov-30, 02:38 PM
Oblivion is one of the few games that has prompted me to install a sound card, since as I'm sure you know onboard sound acceleration can cause stuttering or crashing in the game.

I know I'm repeating myself, probably from the same thread, but when I first installed Oblivion I spent about three days trying to get it to run. It would crash as soon as I'd exit the dungeons/embark into the world. I thought it was a graphics/system problem, as my laptop could only run it at the bare-minimum settings. Turned out it was the sound card (rather, on-board sound.) The simple addition of a line or two to one of the game settings file solved it. Unfortunately, I don't remember what that fix was, but it wasn't too difficult to find online.

Moose
2010-Nov-30, 08:41 PM
So noted, and thanks for the info. Still, I'm only going to have two PCI slots onboard, and one's taken up. When the manual comes and know what audio chipset it's carrying, I'll look it up and see if it's viable. I'll decide what to do then. Audio's not a big priority for me, living in an apartment and all.

Moose
2010-Nov-30, 09:00 PM
I haven't yet decided whether to try it until the release is more mature. After managing/cleaning all my mods and installs so that I never come across purple textures nor exclamation marks, I am loathe to experience them again.

Yeah, last time I did that, I used OBMM to create packages for everything, and named them in the relative install order. Saves time.

Deadly reflex is all sorts of awesome, but read the compatibility lists for what it'll work with, and what it won't. If you use Oblivion XP, for example, you'll run into (mild) problems.

Hlafordlaes
2010-Nov-30, 09:47 PM
@Fazor - Make sure you have patched Oblivion up to the latest release, used BOSS to sort your esp's correctly, and especially include the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP, which is somewhere around v3.20). These patches obviate the need to mess too much with the Oblivion.ini file, but if desperate you can also make some tweaks there. Best test is to use no other mods (especially texture mods) except the UOP, see if you can exit the sewers, and make a save point. Then add mods piecemeal and load the game to see if all is still well. Good place to go when hitting a wall (http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/561101-unofficial-technical-faq/).

@Moose - If you are really into the game, I suggest getting to know Wrye Bash intimately and reformatting all mods as packages, even OOO, Fran, and MMM (ugghh, I know). It literally took me three days to do mine, but it was worth it. You can even manage texture load order independently from esp loads, plus lotsa other goodies.

Fazor
2010-Nov-30, 09:53 PM
Oh, I don't play Oblivion anymore. It was fun while it lasted; but I grew bored. And I was hesitant to install any mods as my machine was below the minimum specs already, and keeping it running was like walking a tight-rope. I mean, I got it to the point where it was stable, with the very rare crash. But I was afraid any change would kill that delicate balance.

Probably much more stable, and prettier, on my current system, but I'm just not into it anymore.

Moose
2010-Nov-30, 10:30 PM
Fazor, to be honest, I'd have gotten bored with Vanilla oblivion within a few months and would have moved on. Oblivion _the game_ is high-mediocre. Oblivion _the modding platform_ is where the spiffy is.

Hlafordlaes, actually, I've hand-mated a good 100+ mods (The game will look at 256 ESPs. I'm usually somewhere in the 220s) without needing to do much with Wyre Bash and BOSS at all. No conflicts that I've noted and/or care about. I'm just _that_ good. ;) I usually have to fiddle with location mods when they get close to Better Cities, a little, but not too much. (Clocks and Banks of Cyrodiil in particular in the Impy Marketplace, along with Akaviri Kojima, shipwrecks and Anvil Port Expansion near Anvil).

Hlafordlaes
2010-Dec-01, 12:38 AM
Agreed, the game really starts for me when I have finished the vanilla quests, which are tedious after playing once or twice. One of these days I've got to make me a mod that allows me to hang up all my gear a la armor stand in Knights of the Nine. Until then I keep setting up a bunch of mannequins on the ground floor of the Wizard's Tower. If I ever do it, I'm planning to add some script to reward, say, getting all the armor or weapons of one type with a ring, amulet or greater power. Quest sets from major mods (eg OOO) get their own halls and rewards in my Hero's Hall.

BTW, ever watch some of those corny YouTube videos offing the Adoring fan (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=oblivion+fan+execution&aq=1)? Worth a coupla yuks some of them. I think it was OOO's YouTube vid that turned me on to Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream, which seems so made for Oblivion.

Moose
2010-Dec-01, 08:40 AM
Heh, yeah, not often (they get old quick), but yeah. Best ones are ones that nuke him off of Dive Rock.

Fazor
2010-Dec-06, 05:12 PM
Well; since I got the new laptop I've been wanting to install BioShock, since it wouldn't run on the old laptop. I had gotten it when I bought Oblivion; as they came together in a 'Games of the Year' pack for like $15.

But all the Oblivion talk had me kinda curious to some of these mods. By the time I had time to install a new game, I was more in the mood for Oblivion than BioShock. Alas, when I dug out the case, only the BioShock disc was in it! Oh well; I installed BioShock. Not really impressed with it.

The good news is that I found the Oblivion disc whilst moving stuff around in order to put out the last of the Christmas decorations yesterday. Haven't installed it yet, but likely will some night this week when I'm not doing anything else.

So; what are the top few mods that you guys would say are the "must haves"?

Moose
2010-Dec-06, 08:22 PM
Fazor, you want to prioritize for the top 100 list at tesnexus.com. The real jaw-dropping stuff can be found there. In particular, particularly if you're going at least partially mage (which I heartily recommend for precisely some of these mods)...

The Unofficial Patches
Midas Magic of Aurum
The Lost Spires (The quests almost seem tailor-made for Midas Magic abilities.)
Unique Landscapes
Bananasplit Better Cities
Elsweyr, the Deserts of Anequina

One of Francesco's, Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, or FCOM (which combines Fran's and OOO.) I've chosen Fran's.

There are other jaw-droppers. Many upon many others that I consider essential, but those are probably the ones I consider most essential.

Oh, and fear it. The new PC is up, and I'm testing Oblivion now with the settings jacked up to hard-maximum. I beelined for Better Cities Anvil Docks (which was a bit of a slide show with my old PC.) Holy moley! No lag whatsoever, and jaw dropping visuals. (My jaw literally rolled next the the power bar, Zoe's batting at it, and I don't even care!) I'm in love all over again!

Van Rijn
2010-Dec-07, 06:15 AM
I tried a bit more experimenting with Fallout 3.

Okay, the sequence of events you should be getting is this: you exit the vault. You get the flash of light, and see the skyline. You may get a bunch of quest notifications at this point if you have any of the DLCs installed and active. About five seconds later, you're given enough XP for level 2 (and then some, depending on how thorough you've been.) Once the leveling screen is done, you can proceed down the hill. If you take a left, you get within the outer range of GNR Radio and the notification shows up in the pipboy.

That's about 30 seconds worth if you're not loafing too much. Am I to understand you're crashing between the flash of light and the level up screen?

It varies. If windowed, after a cold boot, I've had a couple times where it lasted perhaps a minute or two after the level up screen, with a bit of moving around. On the other hand, sometimes it's almost immediate after the flash. And, it sometimes locks up the system requiring another cold boot.

There are some NVidia cards (laptop onboard chipsets) that will not handle some mandatory (for the game) Direct X 9.3 features. That's one possibility.

It's a 9800GT, one of the later ones (and runs fairly cool, I built this system as a medium power, quiet, cool system). I've tried a couple of revisions of the driver, and also tried to reduce video options.

Another possibility is what Fazor suggested, that it's actually a sound problem. Try making sure the game is set to play through the default windows sound interface. Or, if it's there, switch it to your specific hardware (if it's listed.) Another thing to try is to set it to stereo mode rather than surround or better.

I didn't see a sound option. That might be an issue

Also, make sure you try the vsync setting (or if it's on, unset it.) That can cause/relieve video problems sometimes.

Doesn't seem to make a difference *sigh*.

A fourth thing to try, if you're running ffdshow or the Community Codec pack is to add fallout3.exe to the exceptions list in both the video and audio configurations. All bethesda based-games, at this time, are violently incompatible with ffdshow.

I had tried that (I had found that earlier when googling for problems).

Thanks for the help, but I'm probably not going to mess with this much more. Maybe the next time I upgrade the system, I'll try again.

DukePaul
2010-Dec-07, 06:45 AM
Did any of you play Hellgate? I was really let down by the game, first by the game stopping bugs and then once it had been patched the boring unchanging layout design. Master of Orion 3 was another huge let down after the great first two games.

Van Rijn
2010-Dec-07, 09:05 AM
Did any of you play Hellgate? I was really let down by the game, first by the game stopping bugs and then once it had been patched the boring unchanging layout design. Master of Orion 3 was another huge let down after the great first two games.

Haven't played Hellgate, but I agree on MOO 3. The goals for that game were too ambitious, and they kept stretching the delivery date. At some point, I think they threw up their hands, gave up, and banked on the idea they could make some money off of name recognition. I still think MOO 1 is the best game of the three, since it's straightforward enough that the AI could be a credible opponent. In MOO2, once you get terraforming and can build artificial planets, you can pretty much outstrip any AI run empire, since they don't do that well.

They're still great games though, and I still play them occasionally.

Ilya
2010-Dec-07, 03:52 PM
Still playing DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) after more than a year. My main character, a ranger, is now level 14, and beyond that it looks less enjoyable (for me, anyway) because there are fewer possibilities for solo play. Running with a group is pretty much a necessity, which often requires scheduling blocks of time in advance -- hard for me to do. OTOH, I am also playing a bard (level 8 now), and having a blast.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-08, 12:40 AM
I play Neverwinter Nights. I play with a group that have been playing various games since we sat face to face in the 80s with D&D, Runequest and Traveller. We only play by PC now.

Spoons
2010-Dec-08, 02:50 AM
Weeeeeeeeee!

I just popped up the road from work and ordered the build of a nice beasty PC for home. My mate has installed Age of Conan on my laptop for me but it needs to be set at all the lowest settings to just run, and it's still quite poor performance. He gave me all his specs and I asked for those, with a couple of upgrades. 8gig RAM and all that good stuff.

Should be plenty of power for gaming, music production, CAD work and a bit of graphics work which I've always been interested in. Could be handy for some spectacular work presentations too - added bonus, using it for work stuff means it becomes tax deductable.

Next Tuesday arvo it'll be ready to go. Yay! PC games are so much better.

DukePaul
2010-Dec-08, 04:37 AM
The one game I must have reinstalled 6 times was Diablo2 and its LOD expansion. Loved that game and had to throw it away or it would still be on my machine. I hope Diablo3 is going to be good.

NickW
2010-Dec-08, 04:46 AM
Guild Wars right now. Its a game I started when it came out. I keep coming back to it, but the people I used to play with have moved on to other games. I am waiting for GW2 right now.

Fazor
2010-Dec-08, 03:16 PM
Weeeeeeeeee!
I just popped up the road from work and ordered the build of a nice beasty PC for home. My mate has installed Age of Conan on my laptop for me but it needs to be set at all the lowest settings to just run, and it's still quite poor performance.

I played AoC from launch. On release date, I had to also pick up another gig of RAM just to get it to run on the lowest settings on my old desktop. I still loved the game; I had started a Rogue leveling blog/guide, and was quite active in the official forums. Then, the game went to crap. Not the game itself mind you -- it had it's share of complaints and poor reviews, but *I* loved it. But the community sucked. People dropped out in droves, and many of the players that were on the servers were either just there to be jerks, or were jaded by the negativity of the community as a whole.

So I quit playing. I hated to see a game I thought was fun and well done get ruined by the community, but MMO's are sort of dependent on the people playing them.

Guild Wars right now. Its a game I started when it came out. I keep coming back to it, but the people I used to play with have moved on to other games. I am waiting for GW2 right now.
I've been half-heartedly looking for my Guild Wars discs since getting the new laptop. It's not really a pressing desire to try it again, but if I came across them, I'd certainly give it a look. GW2 has been on my radar as well.

Spoons
2010-Dec-08, 04:24 PM
I played AoC from launch. On release date, I had to also pick up another gig of RAM just to get it to run on the lowest settings on my old desktop. I still loved the game; I had started a Rogue leveling blog/guide, and was quite active in the official forums. Then, the game went to crap. Not the game itself mind you -- it had it's share of complaints and poor reviews, but *I* loved it. But the community sucked. People dropped out in droves, and many of the players that were on the servers were either just there to be jerks, or were jaded by the negativity of the community as a whole.

So I quit playing. I hated to see a game I thought was fun and well done get ruined by the community, but MMO's are sort of dependent on the people playing them.
I'm playing it on my laptop for now, but every setting is as low as possible just to run it on 2gb RAM, with no decent video card. I like what I can pick up from it so far, but it's not a good assessment of it yet. I figure it should only improve. As far as the community goes, I've got a little crew of friends over here who all play already, and they're just merging with another guild, so hopefully that brings more opportunities for raids etc. We will see. Worst case scenario I'll have beastly new computer for everything else.

Fazor
2010-Dec-08, 04:47 PM
I'm playing it on my laptop for now, but every setting is as low as possible just to run it on 2gb RAM, with no decent video card. I like what I can pick up from it so far, but it's not a good assessment of it yet. I figure it should only improve. As far as the community goes, I've got a little crew of friends over here who all play already, and they're just merging with another guild, so hopefully that brings more opportunities for raids etc. We will see. Worst case scenario I'll have beastly new computer for everything else.

Well I thought it was a great game. I haven't played it in forever and I know there's been improvement to it since then as well. And I can't speak for the EU servers. It's another game that I'd be tempted to give another go, but I can't afford a monthly service charge right now anyway.

And speaking of MMO's; did anyone here play Warhammer: Online? I loooooved that game. I was a big WoW addict--okay, not nearly as big into it as some, but was a raid-leader in a large guild. Raided a few hours a night 3 or 4 times a week. So more time than I should be putting into a video game. Anyway, I only mention WoW because when Warhammer came out, my WoW guild had imploded and I was left looking for a new game. So I tried Warhammer. And I thought it was soo much better than WoW. But it's another game that didn't seem to take off. Now my system at the time could barely run it; and it really sturggled in the PvP arenas. But now that I have the new computer I really do want to give it another go.

NickW
2010-Dec-08, 07:29 PM
Don't need the disc, Fazor. You can download the client as you go.

Fazor
2010-Dec-08, 07:55 PM
Don't need the disc, Fazor. You can download the client as you go.
Don't I need my serial number or something? I suppose my old account info might still be registered . . . not sure what sign-on info I used but maybe I can fish it up.

NickW
2010-Dec-08, 10:54 PM
Nope, the serials are linked by account name. If you install it and logged into your account, it will pull what you registered. As long as you can remember your password and one of you character names, you should be able to log in just fine.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-08, 11:45 PM
The one game I must have reinstalled 6 times was Diablo2 and its LOD expansion. Loved that game and had to throw it away or it would still be on my machine. I hope Diablo3 is going to be good.

One of my fave games aswell. My son has it on his PC now.

NickW
2010-Dec-09, 05:39 PM
I miss Diablo 2......wish I still had it.

DukePaul
2010-Dec-10, 09:48 AM
Torchlight is a fun game. A good value for the low price but it is limited in scope.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-10, 08:17 PM
Infocom have all the old text adventures as free downloads on their website. Coconut of Quendor anyone?

Paul Beardsley
2010-Dec-10, 08:22 PM
Infocom have all the old text adventures as free downloads on their website. Coconut of Quendor anyone?

Goodbye, everybody. I'm off to the Infocom website.

Fazor
2010-Dec-10, 08:24 PM

All? I only found Zork I - III. The only text adventure game I remember playing was 'Legend of the Red Dragon' on an old BBS I used. There was also one that took place in the future/sci-fi setting, but I remember absolutely nothing about it.

Spoons
2010-Dec-11, 02:49 AM
I now have two friends trying to tear me apart, one telling me to play WoW, not AoC, and vice versa.

DukePaul
2010-Dec-11, 03:31 AM
Some of my first games were Infocom, one being Suspended and Zork. Another very old text only classic I remember was Wizardry. These I played on my new IBM PCjr, no hard drive, 5.25 floppy disc, processor speed of maybe 4.77 MHz and 128k memory. But it did have a wireless keyboard which was pretty cool at the time. Another classic was Silent Service which was a great WWII submarine game.

Van Rijn
2010-Dec-11, 06:44 AM
Some of my first games were Infocom, one being Suspended and Zork. Another very old text only classic I remember was Wizardry. These I played on my new IBM PCjr, no hard drive, 5.25 floppy disc, processor speed of maybe 4.77 MHz and 128k memory.

In the early Apple II days, games were mostly in two categories: Arcade games and text adventures. The earliest games I remember buying for the Apple II were Space Invaders, Classic Adventure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Adventure_.281975-1977.29) (packaged by Microsoft - the first Microsoft program I ever purchased) and Zork I. I've probably bought more games from Infocom than any other game company.

The Apple II+, by the way, ran at ~1 mhz, originally had 48K of RAM, and a 140K 5 1/4 floppy drive, with a 40 character screen (with, originally, only uppercase display). The drive would be started up almost every time you typed a command in the text adventure game. Of course, you got used to that, to the point that when later playing the games on a PC with a hard drive, with its instant response, seemed wrong somehow. It was such a different experience.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-11, 12:29 PM
I used to play 'Shades' it was the first online multi user game.

It was part of 'Prestel' a Viewdata based precursor to the Internet.
It was a fantasy text based adventure. There could be up to 16 players on at any time and there were 5 'incidences' running.

Each game reset after 45 minutes so you could go and do the quests again.
Your ultimate goal was to becoma an 'Immortal' by progressing through levels. Each level got you more spells and better fighting skills in the usual style.
Immortals had their own game room to edit and they could to an extent control the game.

In practice it turned into a race to get to the treasure and puzzle locations and grab the points.
Some quests were reserved for lower levels and some were only available to higher leversl and others needed several people to complete.
You could also get points by killing another player, you got the treasure they were carrying and some of their points.
If you were killed you lost half of points and dropped levels.
You could run away from a fight but you dropped any treasure you were carrying and lost some points
There was a special 'pacifist' character you could adopt and then olny the game 'mobiles' could attack but you couldn't start a fight and gained points at a slower rate.
You could be a 'killer' as well, you got more points from fights but gained points from T at a lower rate and your character had 'killer' in it's name.

A lot of people just used it as a live chat facility by sitting in the 'safe' Pub area.

Some of the Shades players still get together every now and then over 20 years later.

Spoons
2010-Dec-12, 02:02 PM
Sounds very cool captain swoop.

captain swoop
2010-Dec-14, 12:48 AM
It was in it's day 1200 baud modems were trhe standard at the time. I remember when one of the notorious 'killers' was winning all the arena fights because he had a 2400 baud and he was getting his commands in faster than everyone else.

It was faster if you were on an exchange close to the server (an old PDP11) as well.

Spoons
2010-Dec-14, 02:47 AM
I pick up my new rig today, after work. Looking forward to getting it firing.

Fazor
2010-Dec-16, 03:55 PM
Anyone into sports games? Particularly the EA Sports' offerings? I'll admit that I've spent my share of money over the years buying mostly the same games over and over again as they update. I don't, for instance, go out and buy the new 'Madden' game every year. But I've had three or four versions of the 'NCAA Football' franchise, a few of the 'NHL' ones, though not in years, a 'Madden' or two, Rugby, and a few of the Fifa Soccers.

Currently, about all I'm playing is Fifa 10 . . . but only partly because I like it so much. The reason it gets more play time than anything else is that when I set the game time to 20 minute halfs, with loading and time for the xBox to fire up and log on and all, it works out to almost an hour. Which is how long I ride my stationary bike every day. (Unless I work out more than once on a given day, then rinse-repeat.) The game itself is pretty good, but some of the flaws are absolutely maddening. Off-the-ball AI is horrendous. Commentary is repetative and innacurate, foul calling would be better if decided by my 5-year-old neice.

From what I hear, Fifa 11 didn't fix those problem, though it improved on some other things. So I'm going to hold out and see what Fifa 12 offers.

Anyway . . . my point, which has nothing to do with Fifa, is that I'm considering buying NHL 11 tonight, as I got a nicer-than-expected christmas bonus this year. I was just wondering if anyone here plays it, and what their thoughts on it were. The reviews I've read run the gamut from "It's pretty darn good" to "It's possibly the best sports game, in terms of completeness, on the market." So it has that going for it.