PDA

View Full Version : Never dull science on the Simpsons

Normandy6644
2004-Mar-15, 01:02 AM
Tonight's episode had the best couch gag I've ever seen. It starts on the family sitting on the couch, and then steadily zooms out, showing planets, galaxies, string?, then back into atoms, and all the way back to Homer, who then says..."wow." Great intro. :lol:

Andromeda321
2004-Mar-15, 05:25 AM
Aww, I missed it!!!
So was it like that "Powers of Ten" video kinda?

novaderrik
2004-Mar-15, 07:35 AM
that was the best part of the whole show..

Normandy6644
2004-Mar-15, 01:17 PM
Aww, I missed it!!!
So was it like that "Powers of Ten" video kinda?

In a way. They basically zoomed out to show the universe, which then became part of a single atom, which blossed back out into more atoms, which eventually became Homer's head and the rest of the familiy sitting on the couch. Good stuff, I'm looking on google to see if there is a video of it yet.

rigel
2004-Mar-15, 07:33 PM
Great intro.

Not sure if was part of the same episode last night , but I laso liked the HAL like computer that ran their house.

Alex12
2004-Mar-15, 07:57 PM
Great intro.

Not sure if was part of the same episode last night , but I laso liked the HAL like computer that ran their house.
Different episode. That was a Halloween special

rigel
2004-Mar-15, 08:01 PM
It's hard to remember which is which when episodes are shown back to back, and I'm distracted by minor problems.

Have you ever noticed that your kids don't think it is cool that you laugh at all the visual and plot puns (of course they don't get it).

Hale_Bopp
2004-Mar-16, 03:52 AM
Yeah, the intro was a take on the "We are just a single atom in another universe" idea. Nicely done.

I sometimes show an episode of the Simpsons to my students when it is themed around something we are discussin in class. I am amazed at how FEW of the jokes they understand! I usually spend 10 to 15 minutes explaining jokes that they had no idea were in the show.

Rob

mike alexander
2004-Mar-16, 05:28 AM
Honestly, between the Simpsons and Futurama I can usually feel so SUPERIOR to my son. But then you have to explain the explaination, and it just peters out.

("See, Elliot, when the guy who sounds like Gomer Pyle says he has to tell the sergeant and Fry yells back that there's no time, it's an inside joke that Jim Nabors actually introduced the Gomer Pyle character in the old movie 'No Time for Sergeants-"

"Who's Gomer Pyle?"

"Just watch the show.")

milli360
2004-Mar-16, 11:43 PM
Honestly, between the Simpsons and Futurama I can usually feel so SUPERIOR to my son. But then you have to explain the explaination, and it just peters out.

("See, Elliot, when the guy who sounds like Gomer Pyle says he has to tell the sergeant and Fry yells back that there's no time, it's an inside joke that Jim Nabors actually introduced the Gomer Pyle character in the old movie 'No Time for Sergeants-"
I don't think Nabors (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001561/bio) was in No Time For Sergeants (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052005/fullcredits), but Andy Griffith (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0341431/) was.

Hey, it was adapted for stage by the same guy who wrote Rosemary's Baby.

Normandy6644
2005-Mar-15, 01:40 AM
They ran this couch gag again the other day. Everything is the same except at the end, Homer said "cool" instead of wow, even though you can see his mouth doesn't quite match the word. Here (http://collegehumor.com/?movie_id=125833) it is for those curious (warning, rest of site isn't exactly kid-friendly).

Another note, I posted this exactly one year ago! Crazy!

LunarOrbit
2005-Mar-15, 03:37 AM
Judging by that opening it looks like the Simpsons live in Springfield Illonois. ;)

jrkeller
2005-Mar-15, 12:20 PM
Judging by that opening it looks like the Simpsons live in Springfield Illonois. ;)

I noticed that too, but that area of the US is really flat and in other episodes they are close to an ocean.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Mar-15, 02:15 PM
Another note, I posted this exactly one year ago! Crazy!
Pi day, coincidentally. This side

Glom
2005-Mar-15, 06:40 PM
Tonight, they had the episode with the three eyed fish. What does anyone else make of it?

Jim
2005-Mar-15, 07:55 PM
The three-eyed fish is (are) supposed to be the result of pollution/radiation leaking into the river from the nuclear power plant.

They did a Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns was defending the plant's environmental record, saying the three-eyed fish were perfectly fine. As a PR stunt, he had dinner at an employee's house... Homer's, of course... and blew everything when Marge served baked three-eyed fish and Burns freaked out on camera, refusing to touch it.

One Skunk Todd
2005-Mar-15, 08:40 PM
Blinky:

http://www.kelleytown.com/Freeware/gcd/blinky.jpg

Gillianren
2005-Mar-15, 08:47 PM
I took a film class in college, and if I'd had a nickel for every time someone or another used the phrase, "on this one episode of The Simpsons," I'd have a whole lot of nickels.

Matt Groening is the official One Famous Alumnus of my alma mater, The Evergreen State College. he delivered the graduation speech in 2000, the year before I graduated and the year after the convicted cop-killer was our speaker. (a debate that's still going on campus!) best speaker ever!

teddyv
2005-Mar-15, 09:10 PM

I noticed that too, but that area of the US is really flat and in other episodes they are close to an ocean.

Springfield is sort of Nowhere and Everywhere, USA, but the name was chosen because it is the most common US town name (or close). Although, I thought on the "Bhind the Laughter" documentary parody episode, I'm sure the narrator said they were from Springfield, Kentucky, but maybe I heard wrong.

A'a
2005-Mar-15, 10:44 PM

Springfield is sort of Nowhere and Everywhere, USA, but the name was chosen because it is the most common US town name (or close). Although, I thought on the "Bhind the Laughter" documentary parody episode, I'm sure the narrator said they were from Springfield, Kentucky, but maybe I heard wrong.

You heard correctly, more or less. I believe the actual quote was "This western Kentucky family....."

This season they also answered another one of their long-standing questions by naming the comic-book guy.

cyswxman
2005-Mar-16, 07:09 PM
I'll always remember the Halloween episode where Homer tries to jump over a black hole (can you do that?) but gets pulled in, where he subsequently breaks up into about 7 pieces, yelling,"crap, crap, crap, crap, crap...." , then falls into a dumpster in our world.

Hamlet
2005-Mar-16, 07:30 PM
I'll always remember the Halloween episode where Homer tries to jump over a black hole (can you do that?) but gets pulled in, where he subsequently breaks up into about 7 pieces, yelling,"crap, crap, crap, crap, crap...." , then falls into a dumpster in our world.

I think that's the same episode where he says "I knew I should have read the book by that wheelchair guy!"

One of my favorite Simpson's Halloween episodes.

teddyv
2005-Mar-16, 09:00 PM
The other day the episode with the teacher's strike was on where Homer is looking at the perpetual motion machine Lisa made to which he told her,
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics"

peter eldergill
2005-Mar-16, 09:49 PM
Sorry, Hamlet

What quote was that? 8)

Pete

ChesleyFan
2005-Mar-16, 10:48 PM
Stephen Hawking: Your idea of a donut-shaped universe intrigues me, Homer. I may just have to steal it.

Homer: Wow. I can't believe a guy I never heard of is hanging out with a guy like me.

Homer: I even got to use the bathroom of the future.

Marge: Homer, that was Apollo 12!

Homer (staring at a red playground ball with the word "MARS" written on it): Hmm. I don't see any evidence of liquid water.

Ah, classic. 8)

Hamlet
2005-Mar-17, 04:34 PM
Sorry, Hamlet

What quote was that? 8)

Pete

D'oh! Darn failing memory! #-o

peter eldergill
2005-Mar-19, 02:28 AM
Actually, I don't know if my quote is 100% completely accurate. It might be 99.9999...% accurate, though. Ha! I do pay attention to what goes on here (except most of the real astronomy questions, they tend to be way, way over my head, and I actually have read that book by that wheelchair guy)

All I meant was that I'd had the quote there for a while. I thought it was pretty appropriate for this BB

Later

Pete

Rick Sobie
2005-Mar-20, 07:05 AM
Yeah, the intro was a take on the "We are just a single atom in another universe" idea. Nicely done.

I sometimes show an episode of the Simpsons to my students when it is themed around something we are discussin in class. I am amazed at how FEW of the jokes they understand! I usually spend 10 to 15 minutes explaining jokes that they had no idea were in the show.

Rob

What did they think of that one with the safety house on legs?
I laughed my butt off at that one.

novaderrik
2005-Mar-20, 01:36 PM
am i the only person who thinks they might be tying up loose ends on that show? the plots and writing for the most part have pretty much sucked for about 5 years now, and they are also resorting to stupid racial humor to fill out the show- especially at the expense or the Chinese in the adoption episode.
they named the comic book guy and they kinda sorta told us where Springfield is located and that Marge's sister is a lesbian, and also a few other things i can't think of right now. plus i never see any new couch gags anymore.
Family Guy is coming back, so maybe Fox will actually push the Simpsons out for a better show that will get more viewers. one can only hope.

mickal555
2005-Mar-21, 11:57 AM
What's the comic book guys name?

I heard that they were going to make a simpsons movie?

A'a
2005-Mar-21, 04:40 PM
I think it was something like Ted Albertson. I'm not positive on that though.

Lianachan
2005-Mar-21, 05:13 PM
I heard that they were going to make a simpsons movie?

I've never heard any definate plans, but the cast have it in their contracts to make as many as 3 films.

kittynboi
2005-Apr-07, 02:41 AM
""You heard correctly, more or less. I believe the actual quote was "This western Kentucky family....."
""

If I recall correctly, I read that it actually listed a different state depending on where the show was broadcast, and that there may have been like, five different versions of that line.

I think one of my favorite "science" moments on the simpsons was in the Comet episode, after it burned up in springfields thick pollution cloud.

Moe:Lets go burn down the observatory so this never happens again!!

Besides, what other TV show has had both stephen Jay Gould AND Stephen Hawking as guests?

Hazzard
2005-Apr-07, 07:28 AM
Love the one were Homer and Hawkins sitting at Moes,(and Homer tries to speak like Hawkins) to get him to pick up the tab.

Hawkins shoots that boxing glove in his face....
...and Homer(still with Hawkins voice) .. -DOHH!!!

I just loved it =D>