PDA

View Full Version : Used my Orion XT8 for the first time.

Utwo
2010-Apr-08, 09:50 PM
What a great night! I received the 8" Dob in the mail over 10 days ago, but as per tradition, I didn't have a clear night until last night. It was a pretty good one too! No clouds at all, very good transparency and seeing. The downside is that I live in a light-polluted area, but I didn't let that stop me.

I looked at Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, and the Orion Nebula. I think the Nebula was my favorite. At first when I looked at it, I could barely tell it was a nebula at all. It just looked like a few stars that had a slight glow around it. I was a bit disappointed to be honest! In fact, I could only really see the glow with averted vision. Not too much of a bummer, though. I was really happy.

But then I remembered that I had the polarizing filter set to almost total darkness, from when I was looking at Venus. LOL!

So, I took the filter out, and had another look. It was quite brilliant, actually! Sort of looked blue, although I guess that could be my imagination.

I tried to find M51 but I just don't think it was dark enough. Megrez was barely visible.

I'm going to try to get a longer list of objects to view for tonight. Last night, I had looked at everything on my list within an hour, hehe.

RickJ
2010-Apr-17, 08:14 PM
To the eye it is a teal color. This is because the eye is very insensitive the deep red of H alpha light that gives it the pink to red color you see in photos. OIII and H beta light are far dimmer in reality but fall where our eye is most sensitive, around 5000 angstroms which is a blue green color to our eyes, so even though they are weaker emission lines we see them as brighter. This opens up the whole issue of what is the "real" color of an object. What our eye sees or what a camera adjusted to be equally sensitive to all colors the eye sees or what a camera that sees all light coming through our atmosphere sees or... you can play this game to infinity.

Rick