PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who Season 5 spoiler thread

jokergirl
2010-Apr-12, 10:34 AM
I do think we need a thread for this.

So far: I like Matt Smith - he's got the crazy energy the Doctor needs - and I do like Karen Gillan too, although the writing so far has not given me enough insight in her character yet.

From the two episodes so far, I was not very happy with the writing to begin with. Episode 1 started nicely, setting up the characters and some drama (which I don't really wish for but it's Who after all). But Episode 2 didn't really make much sense, the moralizing was too thick (and why does the Doctor tell other people what their decisions were again?) and both the plot/science and the conclusion weak.

I hope it'll pick up next week! It promises to be a well-known setting and enemy, so we'll see what they did with it.

;)

parallaxicality
2010-Apr-12, 11:21 AM
"The Beast Below" was a bit of a disappointment. It started out with one idea, then shifted gears, then shifted gears again, without tying all its ideas together. The smilers were a good example. We never find out what they are, or what they're for, or why they single out certain people and not others.

Matt Smith is a superb Doctor. I like how the new Who started its run with a Doctor very different from the traditional depiction (essentially Christopher Eccleston playing Christopher Eccleston), but then, once it had established its audience, went back to how the Doctor is traditionally portrayed. I'm not sold on Gillan yet, but she's certainly the most beautiful companion at least since Lalla Ward.

I'm not looking forward to next week. I'm getting flashbacks to Daleks in Manhattan.

jokergirl
2010-Apr-12, 11:49 AM
Agree completely. There are way too many plotholes (is Scotland a separate ship or is it just a lie made up by the government? How did they manage to build that city on the whale while the Earth was burning, yet didn't manage to construct an engine in these 300 years? Why does a space whale eat humans? How come they didn't see it from the TARDIS? etc. etc.) and the morale is not even internally consistent (Amy erasing her memory from pure culture shock is despicable but nobody says anything about Liz X and her decisions...). Just shoddy writing, if you ask me.

On the other hand, Liz X can be my queen any day. :D

;)

captain swoop
2010-Apr-12, 04:52 PM
I liked it on the whole. it was better than the last couple of seasons and he is a very good Doc.

It suffers from the stories being too rushed and short. That has been its failing since it came back. In the 'Classic' series they had a plenty of time to flesh a story out (OK sometimes thew old stories were too slender for their length more so when they used to be 6 episodes long). 'The Beast below' would have made a good 'classic' 4 parter.

captain swoop
2010-Apr-17, 05:57 PM
Unfortunately tonights episode is the worst piece of tosh I have ever seen on TV.

swampyankee
2010-Apr-18, 10:36 AM
I've not seen the 5th season yet, but I've got to see the "worst piece of tosh" captain swoop has ever seen. I will say I've never found Doctor Who in any of its incarnations to have any shortage of plot holes and bad writing. I find half the fun of watching it is to see what deus ex machina the writers pull out of the air to make a happy (more or less) ending.

captain swoop
2010-Apr-18, 11:24 AM
Dalek created robot scientist who doesn't know he is a robort despite having a gold coloured robot body with big flashing lights in his chest?
Why was his Lab in the Cabinet War Rooms?
Why was Fighter Command in the Cabinet War Rooms?
Spitfires flying up into space with laser guns attacking a dalek ship?
Daleks turning the lights on all over London so that the German bombers that were only 10 minures away would be able to see it to bomb.
Would they turn the lights out in time?
If they were only 10 minutes away they would be able to see London anyway. They found it every night without Dalek assistance.
Anyway good job that the Dalek Robot scientist was able to mess around with the spitfires and get the machine working that would extend earths atmosphere around the Dalek ship so that the spitfires could attack it. All within 10 minutes.
All new humpty backed re designed Daleks in primary colours. Cynical marketing for new toys anyone?
Why is it all crammed into 45 minutes?

I liked the Docs bluff with the biscuit, telling the daleks it was the dalek self destruct button. Reminded me of Tom Baker and the Hat Stand being a big gun.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-18, 11:28 AM
Good grief, I've only just discovered this thread!

I broadly agree with captain swoop on this occasion.

The episode probably looked great on paper. [Spoilers follow, which is consistent with the thread title.] Winston Churchill working with the Daleks! Spitfires dogfighting in space! The Daleks win!

But the great delight of Doctor Who (and SF/fantasy in general) when it is done well is that you know full well how absurdly impossible something is and yet you buy into it anyway.

Victory of the Daleks was not Doctor Who done well. It had barely enough incident to fill one of the old 25 minute episodes, stretched out into over 40 minutes. There was a touchy-feely bit involving a suicide bomber (sort of) which didn't make any dramatic sense. The Spitfires in space were "justified" by a passing reference to alien tech earlier on (and as every engineer knows, the time it takes to implement a brand new scientific idea is about five minutes). Even then, they could have made it work, perhaps by playing up the comedy aspect, or devoting some of the wasted time to, I don't know, maybe a montage of the alien tech being installed by a bemused ground crew. Instead, we just got a run-of-the-mill CGI sequence that didn't excite.

Things I did like: Matt Smith is a good Doctor. Some of the sillier over-the-top events from the RTD era have apparently been retconned out; Amy Pond does not know about the Daleks, suggesting the abysmal Journey's End didn't happen after all, and we're back to having an Earth just like the real one.

Jim
2010-Apr-18, 06:23 PM
I'm still luke warm toward Matt Smith, but I really like Karen Gillan. Hey, The Doctor may not be ginger this time around, but his companion is!

Solfe
2010-Apr-19, 12:58 AM
I just saw the first epi of season 5.

Just an observation beyond the story: When watching on BBC America and watching all of the commercials they did some neat stuff with the clocks. If you watch from the top of hour, the minutes on the clock on TV match the actual time. I checked it three times - twice "live" (presumably with two different commercial sets) and once on DVR. Pretty strange, but kind of funny for a show about a Timelord.

Solfe

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-19, 06:10 AM
Interesting. I presume that was planned when they made it.

Did you check out Rory's badge? He's too young to have been a nurse for 20 years, but according to the badge he began in 1990. Yet they all have advanced mobile phones. This appears to be a genuine mystery rather than a mistake, as the camera deliberately zoomed in on his badge.

korjik
2010-Apr-20, 04:37 PM
I saw the first one on Sunday (dvr, it was on Saturday). I like Matt Smith so far. He seems to be a bit more agressive ('Run!'), but just as off the wall as before (that must be a very scary crack). They seem to be setting a bunch of stuff up for the later parts of the season, too.

captain swoop
2010-Apr-20, 04:41 PM
Yup the 'crack' seems to be following him around. There is also the getting everywhere later than expected thing as well. Looks like another tedious build up to a finale showdown.

Jim
2010-Apr-20, 08:00 PM
... There is also the getting everywhere later than expected thing as well. ...

But then he tells Amy he can have her back before tomorrow morning. Give or take a few years, I guess.

captain swoop
2010-Apr-20, 08:50 PM
All tht 'missing time' will be important to the finale no doubt.

Solfe
2010-Apr-21, 01:17 AM
I hate to state the obviously about Rory's patch, but I don't think it his. It might be related to Amy's perchance for costumes or a parallel between them. It would kind of make sense if it belonged to a parent - Amy or his, maybe worn as a remembrance rather than an actual earned patch. It might explain the doctors lack of faith in him if he was wearing something unearned or if he was working a job that just wasn't him.

Now before the next UK nurse jumps me, my wife is a nurse. That patch may have a history or tradition behind it that I am unaware of, like a nurses cap in the US.

Solfe

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-21, 05:50 AM
I hate to state the obviously about Rory's patch, but I don't think it his. It might be related to Amy's perchance for costumes or a parallel between them.
I'm not being pedantic here - I am really struggling to understand this.

By "patch" do you mean "badge"? By "perchance" do you mean "penchant"?

The badge I am talking about is a laminated card with a photograph of the wearer. It seems very unlikely that a man would be allowed to work in a hospital wearing an identity badge belonging to his (or someone else's) father.

Solfe
2010-Apr-21, 11:51 PM
:) Too much caffeine, too little sleep. :)

I thought it was a patch not a badge. Sorry.

korjik
2010-Apr-22, 01:03 AM
Interesting. I presume that was planned when they made it.

Did you check out Rory's badge? He's too young to have been a nurse for 20 years, but according to the badge he began in 1990. Yet they all have advanced mobile phones. This appears to be a genuine mystery rather than a mistake, as the camera deliberately zoomed in on his badge.

Where did you see that the badge is from 1990? I tried to see it on the zoom up, but all I saw was what looked like a serial number, not a date. Not an HD tv tho, so it was really blurry.

Also, Rory is in 6 season 5 episodes according to IMDB, so you may be right.

JonClarke
2010-Apr-22, 08:09 AM
Where did you see that the badge is from 1990? I tried to see it on the zoom up, but all I saw was what looked like a serial number, not a date. Not an HD tv tho, so it was really blurry.

Also, Rory is in 6 season 5 episodes according to IMDB, so you may be right.

I checked the badge and it definitely looks like Rory as he was "today"and defnitely says 1990. On the other hand Amy grew up with him and has not noticed anything unusual so presumably he has had an ordinary childhood.

BTW I liked it.

R.A.F.
2010-Apr-22, 01:50 PM
Spoilers follow, which is consistent with the thread title.

Of course that's fine, however no one in the US has had an opportunity to see the 2nd episode yet.

captain swoop
2010-Apr-22, 05:37 PM
So they don't read a thread with 'Spoilers' in the title.

Solfe
2010-Apr-22, 11:54 PM
This Doctor is shown shooting guns in the commercials on BBC America. I don't recall Doctor Who doing that very often. In one case he has a revolver and in another he is holding a Very Pistol. I can understand the Very Pistol.

Thinking back, I only remember him handling guns in Human Nature, the End of Time and when the 9th doctor wants to shoot the Dalek. I recall the third doctor having guns around him and maybe handling one.

Does he do that much?

Solfe

jokergirl
2010-Apr-23, 07:30 AM
I liked Matt Smith - he played very well in his bluffing etc.
I haven't seen all of the episode yet - paused halfway through - but it seems that it's all a big setup for this season's myth arc.

But did anybody else think of kitchen appliances when the new Dalek came out of the incubator all in gaudy colours?

;)

Moose
2010-Apr-23, 10:09 AM
I thought of the ghosts in Pac-Man.

captain swoop
2010-Apr-24, 07:23 PM
Tonights episode was the best I have seen since the 'New' Doctor started.

parallaxicality
2010-Apr-24, 07:53 PM
For some reason each season of Dr Who begins with a middling start involving Earth being invaded by silly looking aliens, then does two naff episodes before finally pulling out a really good one. I thought Moffat may be the one to break the pattern, but it seems even he can't pull it off.

captain swoop
2010-Apr-24, 10:17 PM
By 'New' Doctor I mean all 3 of the 'New' Doctors, not just this current series.

One small thing with the 'Angels' though. When they are stone, why not just hit them with a big hammer?

Moose
2010-Apr-24, 10:17 PM
Nooooooo! I don't want to wait a week to find out what happens! Air the next episode to me! Air it to me faster! You're not airing it to me! Auuugh!!!

Moose
2010-Apr-24, 10:18 PM
One small thing with the 'Angels' though. When they are stone, why not just hit them with a big hammer?

Quantum locking works both ways?

captain swoop
2010-Apr-24, 11:11 PM
Nooooooo! I don't want to wait a week to find out what happens! Air the next episode to me! Air it to me faster! You're not airing it to me! Auuugh!!!

That's one of the reasons it's good. I turned over quick at the end so I didn't see the 'preview' of the next episode ;)

Iwould have had the 'Cliffhanger' on the scene with Amy stuck to the railing with the stone hand.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-24, 11:24 PM
I think the cliffhanger we got was much better. A cliffhanger that ends on peril is okay, but you know they're going to survive. A cliffhanger that makes you ask, "What does he hope to achieve by doing that" in the middle of peril is much more interesting.

peteshimmon
2010-Apr-25, 06:20 PM
Well I am not watching the series but I read
on teletext that the BBC defacated over the
dramatic end of last nights episode with an
animated trailer for the next program.

Shows a complete and utter comtempt for
the viewers.

It is no use complaining to the corporation
they have been sneering at write-ins on
Points of View for decades. There needs
to be a posse of people enter the
technical floors and physically remove
the boxes allowing this outrage.

Or perhaps a court order.

parallaxicality
2010-Apr-25, 06:51 PM
the animated trailer was for the computer game on the website, not the next program

captain swoop
2010-Apr-25, 07:21 PM
No there was a 'ribbon' across the bottom of the screen for a few seconds with a 'coming next' message for the following talent show. No doubt the people that phoned to complain were the same ones that wanted everyone sacked for the slight change to the theme music for this series.

jokergirl
2010-Apr-26, 08:15 AM
Good episode for watching from behind the sofa. Argh. I'm so extremely scared of those angels, they're the best monsters ever.

;)

Gas Giant
2010-Apr-26, 02:00 PM
No there was a 'ribbon' across the bottom of the screen for a few seconds with a 'coming next' message for the following talent show.
As can be seen here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8643684.stm). Apparently "the corporation has acknowledged that, in this case, the scheduling was inappropriate." Sadly that implies that they think there are some cases where it is appropriate.

Anyway, as for the episode itself, I was wondering why all the statues had one head when the inhabitants of the planet had two; but didn't put two and two together in time...

captain swoop
2010-Apr-26, 06:49 PM
I still want to know why they can't just break them if they are made of stone.

R.A.F.
2010-Apr-26, 07:02 PM
So they don't read a thread with 'Spoilers' in the title.

Didn't realize this board was Euro-centric...

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-26, 07:30 PM

Huh? It's "people who've either seen it or aren't worried about spoilers" centric.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-26, 07:33 PM
I'm reminded of the whining that happened (not on this board) when Buffy was released on DVD in Region 2 before Region 1.

Apparently the concept of region-free DVD players is virtually unknown in the US and them suddenly experiencing what the rest of the world has been putting up with for decades came as a big shock.

SeanF
2010-Apr-26, 07:41 PM
Huh? It's "people who've either seen it or aren't worried about spoilers" centric.
Sure, "people who've seen it." So somebody who's seen the latest episode should be okay....but they're not, because those of you across the pond are talking about the episode after the latest episode. :)

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-26, 07:47 PM
One may wonder if eclipses should be discussed on BAUT. After all, many of us live in parts of the world where they can't be observed... ;)

SeanF
2010-Apr-26, 09:07 PM
One may wonder if eclipses should be discussed on BAUT. After all, many of us live in parts of the world where they can't be observed... ;)
:lol:

I don't think it's the people who have no chance of watching the show who are complaining.

Of course, I don't even watch "Doctor Who," so I'm not sure what I'm doing in this thread to begin with... :shifty:

Paul Beardsley
2010-Apr-26, 09:51 PM
Of course, I don't even watch "Doctor Who," so I'm not sure what I'm doing in this thread to begin with... :shifty:

Well, given that you said, "those of you across the pond are talking about the episode after the latest episode," you'd have no problem with the time travel element. In any case, non-watchers are always welcome to join the discussion, AFAIAC.

jokergirl
2010-Apr-27, 10:32 AM

Didn't realize this board was USA-centric either.

Paul Beardsley
2010-May-01, 06:32 PM
Well that was pretty stunning!

Another spoiler warning within a spoiler-warninged thread:

I think that's the first time ever that artificial gravity on a spaceship has been a major plot point in a TV series. As opposed to, oh, the makers have simply forgotten that people really ought to be weightless whilst coasting through space.

Not only was this story good in itself, it even partially redeemed some of the dire episodes of recent years - such as the one with a giant Cyberman stomping through Victorian London.

Matt Smith is definitely the Doctor. Better than Tennant (whom I never liked much in the role), as good as Eccles. Reminiscent of (and as good as) Troughton without being too much like him.

Meanwhile, Ashes to Ashes has been thoroughly entertaining too.

eburacum45
2010-May-01, 08:32 PM
Eccles as the Doctor? There's an interesting idea!

"What's the time, Doctor?"
"Duh, just a minute - I've got it written on this piece of psychic paper!"

captain swoop
2010-May-01, 11:24 PM
Shut up Eccles.

The Famous Eccles, complete and utter idiot. An amiable, well-meaning man with no wits or understanding. When people tell him to shut up, he frequently joins in and often goes on telling himself to shut up long after everyone else has given up.

For those not 'up' on he Goon Show. here is a quote that sums it up.

Eccles: Hello?
Seagoon: Hello?
Eccles: Snap.
Seagoon: Splendid, ring again tomorrow and we'll have another game.

JonClarke
2010-May-02, 06:37 AM
We just need an alien Bluebottle to cry "He's fallen in the water!"

One of the fly creatures from Planet of the Dead might do nicely.....

eburacum45
2010-May-02, 11:58 AM
I did like the artificial gravity thing. Moffat seems to like finding new ways of looking at these old tropes.

JohnD
2010-May-02, 01:16 PM
Turning off the gravity seems to be a common idea in space-set games - Halo, for instance - and in SF stories, based in space habitats. In those that rotate it's, "We can float along the axis to the end!!!", or else the gravity can be switched off. Can't recall which, but I think it features in a Bank's Culture story. So well done if it was a first on TV! Why did it take you so long?

My favourite Eccles quote:
Knock, knock.
Seagoon. Come in!
Eccles. I can't open the door.
Seagoon. Turn the knob on your side!
Eccles (offended) I haven't got a knob on my side!

But back to the Doctor;
He's overdoing the fluttery, just a moment, I have a genius idea coming to me, bit.
And as for that very modern-ideaed young woman he's with at the moment, well done, Doctor!
Turn the strumpet down! We don't want THAT sort of thing in Dr.Who!
Seriously, I could see the junior audience going, Yeeeeeeeeuckkkkkkkk!
And there is altogther unwanted adulation already from the priapic media press about her, as they seeemsto go Phwooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrghhhh as soon as she steps on set.
Bring back sensible Sarah Jane!

John

captain swoop
2010-May-02, 09:24 PM
We just need an alien Bluebottle to cry "He's fallen in the water!"

That would be 'Little Jim' not Bluebottle.

JonClarke
2010-May-02, 10:24 PM
That would be 'Little Jim' not Bluebottle.

Pause for applause, as usual, not a sauusage.

How could I forget little Jim?

eugenek
2010-May-03, 08:26 PM
I've skipped a chunk of this thread because I gathered that many of you are a week ahead of me...

Please, please, please, tell me that after the Space-Spitfires vs Power Ran, er, Dalek episode the series gets better or Amy puts her police outfit back on.

However, too many more of those episodes and I don't know if the police outfit is going to do it either. I could suffer a while.

Paul Beardsley
2010-May-03, 08:30 PM
Amy doesn't put her police outfit back on, but the series does get a whole lot better.

According to the author, the next (two-part) story is to Blink what Aliens was to Alien - and he's right. It's good SF with some quite scary bits.

mike alexander
2010-May-03, 08:37 PM
I haven't seen an episode for, what fifteen years? But I turned on BBC America last night and there was this scarecrow Doctor on meth chumming with Winnie and a robot sending Spitfires into space to destroy this giant spaceship that needed to have its defensive shield turned off so the planes could zoom in and....

Now darn, the concept sounds familiar, somehow...

captain swoop
2010-May-03, 08:44 PM
I have to say the last 2 episodes are the best of all the 'new' Doctor series so far.

R.A.F.
2010-May-03, 10:33 PM
Didn't realize this board was USA-centric either.

Yes...I apologize for that comment...perhaps there should be a "seen it, hasn't seen it" thread.

Fact is, I'm just jealous that "some" members have seen more than I have...darn your black souls. :)

R.A.F.
2010-May-03, 10:36 PM
Amy doesn't put her police outfit back on...

Darn, that's too bad...I really love those shorts.

Jim
2010-May-04, 12:11 AM
I dunno, I liked the short skirt and cowboy boots.

jokergirl
2010-May-04, 07:51 AM
Well that was pretty stunning!

Another spoiler warning within a spoiler-warninged thread:

I think that's the first time ever that artificial gravity on a spaceship has been a major plot point in a TV series. As opposed to, oh, the makers have simply forgotten that people really ought to be weightless whilst coasting through space.

Not only was this story good in itself, it even partially redeemed some of the dire episodes of recent years - such as the one with a giant Cyberman stomping through Victorian London.

Indeed, but gravity reversal/removal was exactly what I had been betting on this week, so yay! I squeed at the different gravity orientation in the corridor though, and even more at the ending.

I was a bit miffed that the angels weren't stopped by looking at each other when the first reversal happened, as that's kind of a continuity break for me. I was also not fond of the angels visibly moving, and nobody being transported into the past - that made them a lot less scary.

Ah well, they're gone now. A LOT of myth arc development this episode - and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Matt Smith is definitely the Doctor. Better than Tennant (whom I never liked much in the role), as good as Eccles. Reminiscent of (and as good as) Troughton without being too much like him.

Agreed! I always preferred Eccleston to Tennant, no matter what the fangirls said. And I really like the crazy energy Smith brings. A good casting choice.

;)

captain swoop
2010-May-04, 03:20 PM
But they can move when no one is looking. Also it was explained why they weren't transporting people, they weren't actualy feeding off them.
There was even some rationalising why there was no historical record of the giant Cyberman stomping through London as well.

We get a 15 minute 'behind the scenes' prog for each show. The Angels were actors (dancers actualy) in body paint with masks on. When the gravity turned off they had the cast in 'flying wires' to hold them horizontal rather than tipping the set over.

jokergirl
2010-May-05, 07:27 AM
Yes, but they were never before moving visibly on camera. Them doing so removed a lot of their scariness for me.

Norby
2010-May-05, 06:28 PM
"Time of the Angels" and "Flesh and Stone" have definitely lifted this series after a couple of average episodes... I didn't like the new "Angels" without the ability to eject people back in time, it was a great way to describe where all the previous inhabitants of the planet went... although "Blink" is my favorite episode, the Doctor in an almost throw away line describes those "Angels" as scavengers... they needed the energy of time-displaced victims to remain alive was my interpretation. Here we have an army in waiting... Flippin' awesome episodes!!! ...and I'm starting to relax a little after Moffat kept saying he wants this season to be more like a fairytale...

The best place I've seen for episode reviews, past or present is here --- http://www.behindthesofa.org.uk/ --- and although the upcoming episode has vampires in it... I can't wait, can't hardly wait.

Norby
2010-May-05, 06:46 PM
When asked about the Hospital Tag and the year 1990:
"I have never actually looked at Rory's name tag to be completely honest with you . . . it's not a signficant plot thing."
―Steven Moffat at the SoHo Apple Store

I'll believe him when the Season is over and it hasn't been revived as a "signficant plot thing."

Paul Beardsley
2010-May-05, 07:15 PM
I'll believe him when the Season is over and it hasn't been revived as a "signficant plot thing."

Well considering just about everything RTD said turned out to be a lie, I think I'll share your skepticism of SM!

Solfe
2010-May-07, 10:35 PM
Can I request a spoiler? :)
The last epi it saw was had the Spitfires somehow getting in orbit to attack the Daleks. Did they explain how it was done? My kids went wild twice when they saw the airplanes in space and interrupted me twice when I tried to rewind to hear it.

Solfe.

p.s. Is it safe to put the word Dalek into my computer's spellchecker? ;)

captain swoop
2010-May-07, 10:43 PM
Earlier in the episode the 'robot scientist' showed the doctor his designs for 'extending the atmosphere and gravity modification or somesuch plot devices.

jokergirl
2010-May-10, 10:30 AM
Chekhov's gun was strong with this one, indeed.

Hm, vampires. Looking interesting so far, I haven't quite gotten to the point where anything happens though. Not sure about having her boyfriend along, I'm getting Mickey flashbacks.

;)

captain swoop
2010-May-10, 04:35 PM
I don't see the point of his being there apart from 'light relief'

jokergirl
2010-May-10, 07:50 PM
Well, and the fact that the Doctor wants to discourage further advances from Amy...

Nice episode, it had a real oldschool cheesy Doctor feeling to it. Not sure about the drama and so on, but we'll see where it leads.

;)

Paul Beardsley
2010-May-10, 08:33 PM
I don't see the point of his being there apart from 'light relief'

Were you doing something else that demanded your attention while it was on in the background?

Solfe
2010-May-10, 11:59 PM
I am sorry, until later tonight, I am still two episodes back. I have tried to watch "Victory..." so many times. :(
Does anyone else think the Doctor's "TARDIS self-destruct device" looks a bit like a cookie with a jelly dot? Brings back memories of jelly bellies. :)

I swear... I have seen 86.2% of this one episode like five times, and missed the rest.

Thank god for DVRs and netflixs, I have a pile of laundry and hours of Doctor Who to watch tonight.

Solfe

korjik
2010-May-11, 04:29 AM
I am sorry, until later tonight, I am still two episodes back. I have tried to watch "Victory..." so many times. :(
Does anyone else think the Doctor's "TARDIS self-destruct device" looks a bit like a cookie with a jelly dot? Brings back memories of jelly bellies. :)

I swear... I have seen 86.2% of this one episode like five times, and missed the rest.

Thank god for DVRs and netflixs, I have a pile of laundry and hours of Doctor Who to watch tonight.

Solfe

If you think it looks like a cookie with a jelly dot, that would be because it is a cookie with a jelly dot.

It would be cool if he used them every now and then tho, as sort of stealth jellie belly reference

Gas Giant
2010-May-11, 02:55 PM
If you think it looks like a cookie with a jelly dot, that would be because it is a cookie with a jelly dot.
More properly, a Jammie Dodger - two shortcake biscuits with a raspberry jam filling, one biscuit has a hole in the centre to display the jam.

(replace "biscuit" with "cookie" and "jam" with "jelly" in the above for US translation).

Solfe
2010-May-14, 07:29 PM
I am glad the angels are back. Loved those monsters.

JonClarke
2010-May-15, 04:45 AM
Yes, the concept of the weeping angels is just so brilliantly simple, and so truly terrifying.

Mind you, the Vashta Narada come close.....

Solfe
2010-May-17, 01:50 AM
Whoa! Nice ending to the storyline. I guess its a good thing this Doctor fancies suspenders, otherwise he would have never defeated Amy. :)

I wonder if the close up on Amy's trainers was all art and story telling or if there is significance to the fact. (Note - Only Doctor Who wears Converse Trainers. Being in the US, I still say everyone else wears sneakers.)

Solfe

Norby
2010-May-17, 10:20 PM
After watching the latest episode - Amy's Choice - This series is starting to lose me slowly... the one-liners, the crazy banter is better, but it keeps targeting my 8 year old mentality and I want it to at least, you know, take aim at the 13 year old teenager in me as the previous nuWho seasons did. Waiting...

Now back to Flesh and Stone, the Doctor loses his jacket to a Weeping Angel, doesn't even have it on at the end when River Song, Amy and the Doc are standing on the beach... but how come earlier when Amy has to keep her eyes shut, the Doctor leaves but immediately comes back to re-assure her, his jacket sleeve is clearly visible in that scene. Big continuity mistake, or deep plot... I'm hoping for the deep plot.

captain swoop
2010-May-18, 08:29 AM
Like Tom Bakers hat, he lost it all the time.

Jim
2010-May-18, 06:37 PM
Ah, the benefit of having your own time machine! Lost your hat? Hope in the machine, go back a bit, and get it.

jokergirl
2010-May-19, 06:18 AM
I didn't have a problem with Amy's choice, it was solid. A bit predictable, but solid. Better than the vampire one imo.
And she did make her choice :) Sometimes this is nice too, although I do hope that we see what qualities she sees in Rory soon as well, because the character is still very 2-dimensional.

;)

JonClarke
2010-May-21, 10:15 AM
So with the Weeping Angels fallen into the crak in Time, does this mean they never existed?

Moose
2010-May-21, 03:19 PM
Those ones, presumably. There are bound to be others out there. I'd keep my eyes open... just in case.

JonClarke
2010-May-22, 12:17 AM
I went to a funeral the othe day. And kept a close eye on the weeping angels statues.

I must say I too liked how gravity fields played such an important part in the plot

jokergirl
2010-May-25, 02:45 PM
Nooooo! Not another two-parter!

eburacum45
2010-May-25, 09:26 PM
These 'Eocenes' were always favourites of mine, back in the old days, although the scriptwriters really needed to take a few lessons in geology...
of course, the reboot has made them pretty much unrecognisable, and also made them quite pretty.

Moose
2010-May-25, 09:45 PM
I didn't have a problem with Amy's choice, it was solid. A bit predictable, but solid. Better than the vampire one imo.
And she did make her choice :) Sometimes this is nice too, although I do hope that we see what qualities she sees in Rory soon as well, because the character is still very 2-dimensional.

He's a stabilizing influence for her, and she gets to draw him out. He doesn't seem to mind (much) her being dominant. And presumably Rory knows what time it is. I doubt Rory would be suitable for everybody, but for someone like Amy, it might be attractive to have someone to go home to. It'll help their relationship that Rory is now a Companion too.

Remember, too, that Amy had, what, a four episode head start on Rory? It's clear Rory is dealing with time-shock like everybody else did. He's adjusting. Even Amy needed a trip or two to find her feet.

Gas Giant
2010-Jun-04, 11:15 AM
It'll help their relationship that Rory is now a Companion too.
Or not, as it turns out.

captain swoop
2010-Jun-04, 08:20 PM
Seems he never existed. I would lay money that when the Doctor 'FIxes' the crack he will come back.

JonClarke
2010-Jun-07, 08:53 AM
I hope so, I really liked Rory.

jokergirl
2010-Jun-07, 09:23 AM
Stuffed in a fridge in the worst way possible. I just wonder if that's preparing for a huge "reset" button at the end of the season... probably.

Moose
2010-Jun-07, 09:52 AM
Yes. There's been several hints (some of them very strong hints) that "rewriting history" is going to be the central theme of the season climax.

captain swoop
2010-Jun-07, 12:11 PM
Hints? Large flashing neon sign with loud bells on.

korjik
2010-Jun-08, 03:50 AM
Since you all want to cheat by living in the UK and all that, I will point out that Arthur Darvil is credited for the last two episodes of the season.

:P

korjik
2010-Jun-08, 03:51 AM
I am wondering if the season ender is going to have River Song erased, so that they can get away with never telling us who the heck she is.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Jun-08, 05:48 AM
I am wondering if the season ender is going to have River Song erased, so that they can get away with never telling us who the heck she is.

I doubt it. SM is obviously fond of the character, and really, what's to explain? She's an especially resourceful future companion of the Doctor whose ultimate fate is known.

captain swoop
2010-Jun-08, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately I always see her as her 'Eastenders' Soap character and can't stand her.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Jun-08, 04:12 PM
I had no idea she'd been in EastEnders. And even if I'd known, I see people as characters, not actors, when I'm engaged by a programme.

Having said that, an awful lot of potentially interesting SFish shows have been ruined by the inclusion of people from soaps.

JonClarke
2010-Jun-08, 10:23 PM
Fortunatyely perhaps I have not seen Eastenders. I don't watch soaps. And it is not one here anyway.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jun-08, 10:42 PM
She was also a Doctor on ER for several years but I can look past that.

captain swoop
2010-Jun-09, 07:32 AM
Sorry, I made a mistake, it wasn't Eastenders it was a soap/drama about Customs and Excise agents and their exciting lives it ran for most of the 90s as I remember

eburacum45
2010-Jun-09, 08:12 AM
A soap about Customs and Excise agents? Was it called Nothing to Declare? That title would work for most soap operas, actually.

jokergirl
2010-Jun-09, 08:26 AM
*sniffles a little at poor Vincent and moves on*

Solfe
2010-Jun-27, 04:51 AM
I hate season ending cliff hangers. Why doesn't someone just buck the trend and make one show that ends with the line "Hey, look it that. We tied up all of the loose ends. Bring on summer vacation!"

Solfe

Edited for the typo I noticed, unedited for the two that I missed. :(

EDG
2010-Jun-27, 05:20 AM
It wasn't so much a cliffhanger (assuming you're referring to the end of "The Big Bang"), as a bit of foreshadowing of what's coming next season. The immediate storylines were all resolved here though.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Jun-27, 07:10 AM
Despite the middling-to-dire first three episodes, it's proven to be the most entertaining season of Doctor Who since the underrated Colin Baker's first full season in 1985, IMO.

Moose
2010-Jun-27, 05:36 PM
Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

captain swoop
2010-Jun-27, 06:57 PM
Apart from the terrible 'Spitfires in Space' episode the whole series was ok to good.

Jim
2010-Jun-27, 08:25 PM
*sniffles a little at poor Vincent and moves on*

This one aired last night on BBC America. It would have been an okay episode w/o van Gogh (van "Goff"... the British sure do talk English funny) and became a very good one with him. I loved his question to Amy. "Your accent is like mine. Are you Dutch, too?" Yeah, I choked up when they showed the dedication on the painting at the end.

JonClarke
2010-Jun-27, 10:46 PM
This one aired last night on BBC America. It would have been an okay episode w/o van Gogh (van "Goff"... the British sure do talk English funny) and became a very good one with him. I loved his question to Amy. "Your accent is like mine. Are you Dutch, too?" Yeah, I choked up when they showed the dedication on the painting at the end.

I did more than sniffle, it was very moving. The monsters poor Vincent could not deal with were the ones in his head, and they killed him. But despite this, he was one one the greatest artsts who has ever lived.

I have not not seen the last two episdodes yet, but I think overal this season is shaping up to being the best of the new series. IMHO of course...

JonClarke
2010-Jun-28, 10:09 AM
I saw this on another forum and could not resist.

The Dalek entry on the Hitch-hiker's guide....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWn_1yOFpfU&feature=player_embedded#!

Solfe
2010-Jul-03, 01:02 AM
"A Stairless Wastland" :)

captain swoop
2010-Jul-04, 06:07 PM
Those last two episodes were very good and tied all the loose ends up very nicely.

Jim
2010-Jul-25, 10:51 PM
BBC America aired the season finale last night. It was a bit contrived, but still in all a satisfying ending to the story arc. I enjoyed the hopping around and seeing things from two perspectives. It left unexplained what happened to Amy's parents the first time around, but she made a beautiful bride.

One thing left open (and maybe it was tied up but I missed it) is what's to keep all of the Doctor's adversaries from trying this again? They have no memory of what happened.

So, next season (will Matt Smith still be there?), the Doctor will have Amy and Rory as companions; it's been awhile since he had two, unless you count K-9. And he'll meet River Song for her first time... I hope.

peter eldergill
2010-Jul-25, 11:56 PM
So, next season (will Matt Smith still be there?), the Doctor will have Amy and Rory as companions;

I'm pretty sure that Matt Smith is returning for at least one more season

Pete

Moose
2010-Jul-26, 12:21 AM
Heh, I've been holding onto this since the end of June. I know it was Robo-Rory, but he definitely has the right instincts when given the opportunity to shine. That, my friends, is what makes Rory a good match for Amy.

Jim
2010-Jul-26, 12:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that Matt Smith is returning for at least one more season

"Pretty sure." I saw a report - but didn't bother to read it fully - that indicated he had decided to move on.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Jul-26, 05:49 AM
So, next season (will Matt Smith still be there?), the Doctor will have Amy and Rory as companions; it's been awhile since he had two, unless you count K-9. And he'll meet River Song for her first time... I hope.

Since the revival he's had Rose and Adam, Rose and Captain Jack, Rose and Mickey, Martha and Captain Jack, Donna and Martha.

captain swoop
2010-Jul-26, 01:16 PM
Doctor: 'Mr Pond!'
Rory: 'It doesn't work like that' (looks at Amy) 'yes it does'

korjik
2010-Jul-26, 02:00 PM
I like Rory. In the face of Daleks, getting turned into plastic, and the end of the universe, he knows what he should be truly afraid of.

Amy

:)