PDA

View Full Version : Sedna comming into the inner solar system....

Drakheim
2004-Mar-15, 07:58 PM
If it is really just a huge comet and IF it came into a visable comet orbit of the sun.. How friggin cool would that be to see at night? :o

Okay I am done. :oops:

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-15, 08:04 PM
Where did you read it was coming into the inner system.

Drakheim
2004-Mar-15, 08:06 PM
I didnt... I just thought it would be cool to see Sedna on a inner planet orbit as a comet. :P

Heaven help us all if it actually did.. Nancy and the others would go hog wild over it.

bmpbmp
2004-Mar-15, 08:07 PM
lol

Killshot
2004-Mar-15, 10:59 PM
I also thought the same thing when i heard about it.. that would be pretty cool to see as a visible comet

I also thought it would be cool to see it collide with another planet.. (not earth of course)

So is it is likely that this object and perhaps others about its size are responsible for kicking comets out of the oort cloud and headed towards the sun?

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Mar-16, 12:03 AM
So is it is likely that this object and perhaps others about its size are responsible for kicking comets out of the oort cloud and headed towards the sun?

It wouldn't take much.

These objects are orbiting The Sun, at most, at a few Kilometres per Second; cancel that, and it'll fall into the Inner Solar System.

Quite literally, simply jumping off of one of the Smaller Ones, would do it.

Krevel
2004-Mar-16, 12:23 AM
Even if it were to start heading our way, you'd be long dead by the time it became visible. It sure would be purty though!

Edit: Upon further consideration, I may be wrong, as a comet that large would be visible from pretty far out. Mea culpa.

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-16, 12:29 AM

It wouldn't take much.

These objects are orbiting The Sun, at most, at a few Kilometres per Second; cancel that, and it'll fall into the Inner Solar System.

That must be quite a jump you have there. :wink: For other objects in circular orbits, I get about 3.4 km/s at the distance of Sedna's perihelion, 1 km/s at aphelion distance. That means you'd need to "jump" at about 2300-7600 mph to totally cancel your forward velocity.
Were you perhaps thinking of the easier task of reaching escape velocity from a small body? Even if you do this, it won't mean an enormous change in your trajectory, of the sort to bring you back into the inner Solar System.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Mar-16, 12:47 AM

It wouldn't take much.

That must be quite a jump you have there. :wink: For other objects in circular orbits, I get about 3.4 km/s at the distance of Sedna's perihelion, 1 km/s at aphelion distance. That means you'd need to "jump" at about 2300-7600 mph to totally cancel your forward velocity.
Were you perhaps thinking of the easier task of reaching escape velocity from a small body? Even if you do this, it won't mean an enormous change in your trajectory, of the sort to bring you back into the inner Solar System.

Well, I was using a little Hyperbole, but for a small enough object, that amount of Delta Vee, would not be difficult to Impart.

Perhaps what I should have said, is at that distance an Orbiting person would be able to fire a Gun at Earth.

31st Century Target Shooting, I guess, with a Sign on The Moon that said, "Shoot Here!"