PDA

View Full Version : Bad media- Sky News and 10th planet

Alex W.
2004-Mar-16, 02:06 AM
Their scrollbar thingie called it "Possibly the largest object in the solar system". #-o

Presumably someone read that it was possibly one of the largest Kaiper Belt objects and got confused. :-?

Normandy6644
2004-Mar-16, 03:43 AM
Yeah, I think it's getting a bit more hype than it deserves right now...

Mellow
2004-Mar-16, 02:17 PM
Yup, even in-duh-viduals at work have been telling me that there is a new huge planet, with a diamond core in our solar system light years away.

And I have to unravel this ball of twine of a misconception for them.

kelly
2004-Mar-16, 11:51 PM
Ya and I heard that they discovered a possible moon around Sedna, by means of watching the "Planetoid's" complete orbit about the sun. Ummmm doesnt it take 10 thousand years for this orbit to take place, maybe they should of mentioned the spectro-analysis that took place on the short time interval of observations <like 4 months>.I think the media should stay out of it! ](*,)

Lycus
2004-Mar-17, 12:46 AM
Their scrollbar thingie called it "Possibly the largest object in the solar system". #-o

Geez, I hope the PXers didn't see that! #-o

planethollywood
2004-Mar-17, 07:24 AM
he he he he,

The news last night said "it was discovered in the furtherest reaches the universe".

the things that make you go humm.

tracer
2004-Mar-18, 02:52 AM
Yup, even in-duh-viduals at work have been telling me that there is a new huge planet, with a diamond core in our solar system light years away.
Cool! Sounds like they confused BPM 37093 (http://www.stellar-database.com/Scripts/search_star.exe?Catalog=BPM&CatNo=37093) with Sedna.

Kinda like that coworker of mine who told me that anybody could now deduct the price of a 6000-pound SUV from their income taxes, whether it was for business use or not.