PDA

View Full Version : Fried Alive Inside!

Conrad
2002-Apr-16, 11:19 AM
Ahem. Very little to do with astronomy, but ... I saw "Hollow Man" on TV last night. Quite apart from the issues about anyone invisible also being totally blind, I wondered about the effect of UV radiation on them. Presumably the UV rays would traverse the body's internal organs if one were invisible? And also, I presume, this would not be terribly good for you, since people are designed to avoid getting a sun-tan on their insides.

SeanF
2002-Apr-16, 11:28 AM
On 2002-04-16 07:19, Conrad wrote:
Ahem. Very little to do with astronomy, but ... I saw "Hollow Man" on TV last night. Quite apart from the issues about anyone invisible also being totally blind, I wondered about the effect of UV radiation on them. Presumably the UV rays would traverse the body's internal organs if one were invisible? And also, I presume, this would not be terribly good for you, since people are designed to avoid getting a sun-tan on their insides.

Well, why not just assume that whatever it is that lets visible light go right through him also lets UV light go right through him - none of it gets absorbed by the internal organs, so no damage!

Hey, I should be a writer!

TinFoilHat
2002-Apr-16, 11:30 AM
So, if light doesn't interact with his body, how does he see?

SeanF
2002-Apr-16, 11:41 AM
On 2002-04-16 07:30, TinFoilHat wrote:
So, if light doesn't interact with his body, how does he see?

Yeah, that's a major issue - apparently, the light is going right through his retinas, so he should be blind.

(There's actually a scene where we see [via an infrared monitor] him pick up an invisible dog without groping around at all. Not only can he see, he can apparently see other invisible things!)

Chuck
2002-Apr-16, 01:32 PM
Even if he's transparent to visible light maybe he can see in other frequencies.

ToSeek
2002-Apr-16, 01:35 PM
On 2002-04-16 09:32, Chuck wrote:
Even if he's transparent to visible light maybe he can see in other frequencies.

If he's visible in the infrared, then he can potentially see in the infrared.