PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Sky [film - 2001] ... Spoiler Alert!

Buttercup
2010-Apr-20, 08:40 PM
Not sure I needed to go the "spoiler alert" route, but just in case...

I've rewatched Vanilla Sky twice in the past 2 weeks. It'd been maybe 5 years since I last watched it on DVD, and I'd forgotten a few things (such as the elapsed time from being placed in cryostasis until wishing to reawaken).

And that's another aspect I'd forgotten: David doesn't want to dream any longer. Despite the time which has passed and how society's changed in the interim, and now he'll have few resources/finances (though his body and face can be surgically repaired to normal), David does wish to come out of cryo and rejoin the real world.

I wondered what lots of people undoubtedly wondered: Why he simply didn't reach over and switch off the ignition when Julie began driving faster and losing self-control?

And I wonder how a sequel to this story would be written. :) Any ideas? How would David Aames adjust to his new world (roughly the year 2151), what good or bad experiences await him? Would he ultimately wish to return to cryo and sleep, dreaming for another 150 years (or more) of Sophia?

I've not seen every Tom Cruise film, but this is definitely one of his finest performances. Imo he should have been nominated for an Oscar, and Cameron Diaz too. It's become a favorite of mine and the soundtrack definitely deserved its Oscar nod.

Solfe
2010-Apr-24, 02:41 PM
I saw the original Abre los Ojos on TV a few years ago. Oddly both movies PenÚlope Cruz. I think I am going check to see if Netflix has them both. That could a good movie night.

I would like to see a sequel, too.

Solfe

EDG
2010-Apr-24, 03:26 PM
I love Vanilla Sky (and Abra Los Ojos) to bits. I love how all the pop culture music references sneak into VS (Cameron Crowe is usually quite good with that). Penelope Cruz is quite brilliant too. I think I need to watch it again now ;)

Unlike most remakes, VS is very similar to Abra Los Ojos. The only real difference is that the latter doesn't have the pop culture references, and there's one big scene near the end in the AlO that isn't in VS.

I wondered what lots of people undoubtedly wondered: Why he simply didn't reach over and switch off the ignition when Julie began driving faster and losing self-control?

Probably because that might have killed him too? If they'd had a struggle at high speed they probably would have veered off the road and smashed into something too. Plus, IIRC there wasn't much time between when she went psycho and when they crashed.