PDA

View Full Version : The movie "The Road"

peter eldergill
2010-Apr-24, 05:33 AM
I watched 15 minutes of this and couldn't handle watching anymore of it.

I found it so incredibly depressing that I just couldn't continue. I think it is due to the fact that I have a 7 month old boy and this made me think what my life would be like in the same situation and that got me all teary eyed and so forth.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't enjoy the move or didn't think that it was a good movie.

Did anyone else have the same reaction?

Before the birth of my son, I probably wouldn't have had any problem watching this movie.

Just curious

Pete

Fazor
2010-Apr-24, 11:19 AM
I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book. I didn't find it depressing -- by that I mean, obviously it's a depressing subject, but it never got to me as anything more than fiction. But then, I don't have a kid.

TJMac
2010-Apr-24, 12:45 PM
I have not seen the movie either, and also read the book, upon a friends recommendation that it was possibly the BEST book he had ever read. To which, I now suspect he has read very, very little. I generally hate not finishing a book, so I made myself finish that one. However, I digress.

I could imagine, as a parent, being in that situation, but no more so from that story, than any other "end of Society as we know it" type scenarios. To be honest, Cell, by SK, made me think more about how it would be as a parent in that situation than The Road did. So, yes, the idea is depressing, but for me, at least, its just far enough out of realm of possibility, I cannot truly sink my teeth into actually getting depressed about it.

TJ

antoniseb
2010-Apr-24, 01:26 PM
I also read the book. I might see the movie when I get a chance. I tried to see it in the theaters, but the run was very limited.
Depressing topic. It's about pressing on with heroic purpose (my guess).

grapes
2010-Apr-24, 01:31 PM
When I saw the movie ads, I thought I'd like to see it (but then, I've also seen Eastern Promises and A History of Violence). So, I picked up the book to read it first, since it had the Pulitzer Prize going for it. Now, having read the book, I don't really have a desire to see the movie.

sarongsong
2010-Apr-25, 03:57 AM
No plot description, no author mentioned=No Sale.

Fazor
2010-Apr-26, 01:12 PM
I already said it in the "What are you Reading?" thread, back whenever I read the book. The best way I could sum up 'The Road' was that I liked the writing, but hated the story. I liked 'No Country for Old Men' a lot. I plan on reading some of Cormic's other works. But 'The Road' just seemed to miss it's mark, and that makes me hesitant to watch the movie.