PDA

View Full Version : Astronomical Spectrometers

Himanshu Raj
2010-Apr-25, 03:04 AM
Hi!

I had a little tough time surfing through the web, looking for astronomical spectrometers. I tried to contact a bunch of dealers but they get confused with spectrophotometers. Can somebody suggest where to look for astronomical spectrometers? We need it for our institutes's telescope.

Thanks.

Himanshu

ngc3314
2010-Apr-25, 03:30 AM
At the low end of cost for many institutions, we have had reasonable results with the Santa Barbara Instrument Group's Self-Guiding Spectrometer, a compact unit with two back=to-back changeable gratings. On the campus 0.4m telescope, it can give recognizable spectra of bright Seyfert galaxies, measure emission-line redshifts for many galaxies, and quite usable spectra of stars to maybe 13th magnitude (SS 433 is probably fainter than we can reach with our site's poor seeing). I'll attach some samples I have on disk at the moment. NGC 2392 is there twice, before and after pixel-wavelength conversion; the one with two expanded plots illustrates the redshift of NGC 4151 compared to NGC 2392.

EigenState
2010-Apr-26, 02:27 AM
Greetings,

If you are on a very tight budget, you might consider the following. Try getting your hands on a normal, bench top model spectrometer--say from a Chemistry Department. It would not have to be fancy, just have decent optics. If you can do that, you might be able to get away with coupling the spectrometer to the telescope using fiber optics. All you would need to pay for is the actual fiber bundle and machining costs for fabricating mounts for the fiber bundle at both ends.

Best regards,
EigenState

JJOCEAN
2010-May-03, 01:37 PM
You should try to use a miniature spectrometer attached with optical fibers to a c-mount in your telescope. You can find all you need for this at OceanOptics.com
Good Luck