PDA

View Full Version : Google SkyMap for Android.

rommel543
2010-Apr-26, 08:52 PM
This is cool. Kinda makes me wish I didn't have my crackberry...

http://lifehacker.com/5524793/google-skymap-for-android-puts-detailed-star-gazing-in-your-pocket

Android: If you thought exploring the night sky with applications like Stellarium from the comfort of your computer was cool, Google SkyMap gives you real-time and directional star gazing. Point the phone at the sky to see exactly what's up there.

TheIvan
2010-Jul-08, 10:31 PM
Seems awesome, especially for a noob stargazer like me, just point it at the sky and it shows you what you're looking at. (Gave it a try out of the window, seemed correct)
It has a nightmode where everything is dark red and there's a search.
There's a gallery of hubble photos and you can press "find it" and it points you to it.
Looking forward to trying it out.

Fazor
2010-Jul-14, 05:33 PM
I have it on mine, but it doesn't seem to line up correctly. Probably need to calibrate my phone or something. I do like that it was free though. :)

mahesh
2010-Jul-23, 10:09 AM
Oh how lovely! A while ago (can't find thread just now), we were talking about looking at / for planets, after sunrise.
Seems like this is going to be a wonderful additional tool to aid in the fun and detecting them.

CaptainXeroid
2010-Jul-25, 04:24 AM
I have it on mine, but it doesn't seem to line up correctly. Probably need to calibrate my phone or something. I do like that it was free though. :)I have Google Sky on my Droid and noticed the same problem. I was looking right at Polaris yet Ann, the name of my Droid, ;-), had Deneb in the center of her screen

Several free astronomy apps on my iPod Touch are a lot better.

Planets is simple to use and has other features like rise and set charts for the sun, moon, and planets as well as a list of moons and a pretty good visual depiction of what each one looks like. StarLite has stars and constellations and you can highlight a star to see its name. Distant Suns lets you highlight stars, planets, and deep sky objects for name, magnitude, and distance for stars & planets. StarMap 3D cost me I think $2.99, and you can adjust the magnitude that it displays.

One kinda' funny thing about Google Sky and the automatic mode is that it shows what you would see in the sky where ever it's pointed. I set the phone on the table and it occurred to me that if the earth were transparent, I could see Canopus from metro Atlanta, GA. Cracked me up for some reason.

Xerties
2010-Jul-26, 04:35 PM
I have the app as well. I was showing it to my stepfather and he was rather impressed by it.

So now I'm wondering, is there anything like this app in a stand-alone device? It seems like there should be, but I haven't seen anything like it elsewhere. Does anybody know of something like this?

Fazor
2010-Jul-26, 07:11 PM
One kinda' funny thing about Google Sky and the automatic mode is that it shows what you would see in the sky where ever it's pointed. I set the phone on the table and it occurred to me that if the earth were transparent, I could see Canopus from metro Atlanta, GA. Cracked me up for some reason.

I thought that was funny too; though in the interest of clarity, I kinda wish it would omit things below the horizon line.