PDA

View Full Version : Binary Orbits in Ecliptic Coordinates

harkeppler
2010-Apr-29, 10:37 PM
I found a interesting feature:

How may look the sky of an extrasolar planet with respect to an orbiting binary sun. How may be the system plane be orineted and how will the binary sun run through the constallations.

There ara data on the binary star systems, but the data for the orbits are normally given in a special inclination which is measured against the line sol-star and they are so a function of declination.

Does anyone kown to transform these orbital inclination to a ecliptic based one?

It seems to be rather difficult, and I did not find anything about.

Best reetings Har

grant hutchison
2010-Apr-29, 11:26 PM
I built an xls spreadsheet to make the conversion from plane-of-sky to ecliptic elements, for use with Celestia. You can find it here (http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/hutchison/spreadsheets.html#2). The output is in the form of a Celestia orbit definition, but the elements are easily understood.

Grant Hutchison

harkeppler
2010-May-01, 10:00 AM
Oh, thats is exactly what I was looking for!

Thank You very much!

Is there any hint on the derivation of the formulars? Does that topic show up in literature? I was reading a lot of scientific reports and several classical books about spherical astronomy, but I never found anything about. It seems to be that the today common type of orbital elements for binaries was established around 1863.

Thank You very much again!

Harkeppler