PDA

View Full Version : Forum Quirks

mugaliens
2010-Apr-30, 06:44 AM
Couple of events have come to light which don't follow what should be happening:

1. On the U-Haul CAN'T HAUL thread, after using the multi-quote function, attemping to quote (singly) and respond to Fazor's comment (#35) brough up another poster's comments, not Fazor's.

2. While attempting to reply to Don's quote (#25) in the Un-Happy-Anniversay page, the page always defaults to "Error on page." 10 times out of 10.

3. While attempting to Reply to Quote on the U-Haul Can't Haul function to Spoon's comment (#52), instead of Spoon's comment, the following comment was displayed in the QuickReply window, despite the fact that zero Multi-Quote boxes were checked when the selection was made:

Mugs, you apparently missed the part where it has been identified that the reason U-Haul is doing this is because people are suing them. It has nothing to do with U-Haul's technical evaluation of the safety of leasing their trailers to Explorer owners. If people would stop suing U-Haul because they drove their Explorer-trailer combination into a ditch, or worse, all would be fine.

If, in fact, U-Haul is suffering inordinant damage costs associated with litigation, their lawyers are quite correct in recommending - as a business decision - to stop renting to Explorer owners.

First a few basics: The Sport Trac has a 2 rating on that list. I believe we are talking about an Explorer and not a Sport Trac. Two different vehicle layouts. There is no Explorer tested in that chart.

The NHTSA regarding the Explorer's rollover likelyhood found that it is no more likely than any other SUV of its generation and that ALL rollovers were due to driver error/road conditions. Not the SUV. This stemmed from the infamous Firestone issue. Besides that the generation of Explorer being referred to here is not of the split beam design that was considered so prone to rollovers but, again, was caused by serious driver error in certain conditions. Car and Driver tried their best but could not make an Explorer roll.

"A subsequent NHTSA investigation of real world accident data showed that the SUVs in question were no more likely to roll over than any other SUV." from Wikipedia regarding these early explorers.

I'm quite partial to how it was put in the article Cougar linked to in post #34 - Suddenly Upside-down Vehicles.

Mugs, is your vehicle the 4x2 or 4x4? Not that it seems it makes much difference to the U-Haul issue - I think geonuc explained the problem best, and it's only indirectly somewhat to do with safety. Safety isn't U-Haul's concern at all. Litigation is. That's what we get when people sue over everything and anything.

Blame those that sue, not U-Haul. They're a business first, a service second.

4. Something's akilter with BAUT's database. Not working as advertised.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-30, 06:56 AM
4. Something's akilter with BAUT's database. Not working as advertised.
Actually sounds more like something's akilter with the JavaScript on the pages. Most of the functions you mentioned run entirely in your browser without communicating with the server.

mugaliens
2010-Apr-30, 07:19 AM
Now none of the Reply With Quotes are working - on any of the threads.

I've logged out, cleared all caches, and the problem remains.

JavaScript is working just fine on other forums running vBulletin 4.02, Henrik.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-30, 07:34 AM
Now none of the Reply With Quotes are working - on any of the threads.
It works fine for me.

mugaliens
2010-Apr-30, 07:43 AM
Bravo, Henrik! Good for you!!!

Not on this side of the pond, though, as I just logged off and re-cleaned my system again, yet am experiencing the same issues.

Now BAUT's not working properly with the Cheaper Space Travel thread.

I'm beginning to suspect either an antivirus, firewall, or other problem. I'm using Norton 360, with all the latest and greatest updates.

The issue persists.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-30, 08:03 AM
Bravo mugs! You just ensured that was the last time I've tried helping you by providing a relevant data point for identifying the cause for your problems.

mugaliens
2010-Apr-30, 08:25 AM
Bravo, Henrik! Thanks for signing off!

In response to: "Bravo mugs! You just ensured that was the last time I've tried helping you by providing a relevant data point for identifying the cause for your problems."

ETA: Henrik, that's not the problem.

2010-Apr-30, 01:19 PM
1. On the U-Haul CAN'T HAUL thread, after using the multi-quote function, attemping to quote (singly) and respond to Fazor's comment (#35) brough up another poster's comments, not Fazor's.

In my one experiment with multi-quote, I learned the selection is persistent. Once you select an article for multiquote, its slection status must be cleared manually after use. It doesn't happen automatically.

Check those articles on which you selected multiquote to see if they are still selected (check mark instead of plus sign).

And it works fine for me, too.

Swift
2010-Apr-30, 01:23 PM

Bravo mugs! You just ensured that was the last time I've tried helping you by providing a relevant data point for identifying the cause for your problems.
Will you two please chill. There is no need for all this snarkiness.

As a further example, I used multi-quote in this and it worked ok, EXCEPT, it also brought in Binary Man's quote, which I had not selected (I just edited it out of my post), so something isn't quite right.

R.A.F.
2010-Apr-30, 02:21 PM
...so something isn't quite right.

Probably an unconnected "problem" but ever since the "change" page formating on msnTV2 (webtv) is completely unreadable.

Fortunately I have other options, but I can't understand just why the "new look" would be so unfriendly to webtv2.

ets...I should explain further...when attempting to view this site with webtv2, the 1st subforum of each section is visible and nothing else. I can "solve" this by changing page size, but then each post runs off the edge of the page making it more trouble to read than it's worth.

I don't know if anything can be done about this, or even if it is worth trying to "fix" it...just wanted to make sure that those who "need to know" are aware that not everything is "hunky-dory" with this new look.

Fazor
2010-Apr-30, 03:02 PM
Couple of events have come to light which don't follow what should be happening:

That's certainly not the quote-cloaking exploit I use to keep from being able to be held responsible for the things I say . . . :whistle:

Oh, but as for the multi-quote thing; I used it once and didn't have any problems with it, but to be honest, I still multi-quote the same way I always did: click "reply to" the first thread, copy the portion of the quote code generated to clipboard, then click "reply to" on the next thread, and so one and so forth. It's not the easiest way to do it, but it's how I've done it since I first joined, so it's just kinda habit now.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Apr-30, 05:25 PM
I do that as well, mainly because it fits my normal mode of working, which id building up the post sequentially, replying to each quote in turn before adding the next.

Van Rijn
2010-Apr-30, 11:25 PM
Probably an unconnected "problem" but ever since the "change" page formating on msnTV2 (webtv) is completely unreadable.

Fortunately I have other options, but I can't understand just why the "new look" would be so unfriendly to webtv2.

I don't know much about WebTV, but from a quick google it sounds like a custom hardware/software setup. Can you run current IE or Firefox on it? Those would probably be your best bets for compatibility.

R.A.F.
2010-May-01, 01:29 AM
I don't know much about WebTV, but from a quick google it sounds like a custom hardware/software setup.

It is...

Can you run current IE or Firefox on it?

It doesn't work like that. It's basically a box that sits on your TV that you can control via remote, you can't download anything off the web, although you can upload pictures. You connect to the WEBTV site and all the "work" is done there.

One really good thing about it is that it is immune to virus' since you don't actually "connect" to anything but their site.

I'm probably not explaining this well...it's like using a PC just different. :)

Van Rijn
2010-May-01, 06:27 AM
It doesn't work like that. It's basically a box that sits on your TV that you can control via remote, you can't download anything off the web, although you can upload pictures. You connect to the WEBTV site and all the "work" is done there.

I suspected it was a custom setup that couldn't be changed on the user side, but thought I'd ask. I doubt there's a fix for that - this looks to me like an issue with new software not being compatible with less common or older setups (I've also seen issues with old web browsers).

HenrikOlsen
2010-May-01, 06:54 AM
The WebTV hardware was a pared down computer with a gutted OS which uses the TV as monitor and runs a proprietary web browser as the only application.
The software is mainly the proprietary browser which is characterized by being very nonstandard in its handling of formatting since it's optimized for working well at a fairly fixed screen size and tries hard to show the pages within this size.

By now it's a discontinued product, so it isn't really surprising that it gets confused by a modern website.

R.A.F.
2010-May-01, 01:25 PM
...this looks to me like an issue with new software not being compatible with less common or older setups.

Agreed.

The WebTV hardware was a pared down computer with a gutted OS which use the TV as monitor and runs a proprietary web browser as the only application.

Correct.

The software is mainly the proprietary browser which is characterized by being very nonstandard in its handling of formatting since it's optimized for working well at a fairly fixed screen size and tries hard to show the pages within this size.

While this was true for the original webtv, msn2 (as it is called) is different in that the size of the page can be changed, which allows for lateral movement of a web page.

By now it's a discontinued product...

msn sends updates to this discontinued product on a regular basis.

...so it isn't really surprising that it gets confused by a modern website.

While this might be true, this website is the only one I frequently visit that it gets "confused" by.

...and in reality, I'm likely overstating the "problem". While I can't see the subforums in "ordinary" mode, when I change page size I can see the whole board...it's just a major hassle reading when you have to keep moving the page from left to right to read each line.

I like webtv. It allowed me to access the internet at least 3 or 4 years before I even owned a computer.

HenrikOlsen
2010-May-01, 03:27 PM
I like webtv. It allowed me to access the internet at least 3 or 4 years before I even owned a computer.
Actually you did own a computer, they just didn't tell you that was what they sold you:)

Gillianren
2010-May-01, 06:48 PM
I had a friend who had one of the old WebTVs, and I hated it. I do hope yours is better!

kleindoofy
2010-May-01, 07:47 PM
... It's basically a box that sits on your TV that you can control via remote ...
Ah, yes, I remember.

A few years back that was the new "future of the internet," the "death of the PC," blah, blah, blah.

In a few years people will be asking "what's an iPad?"

R.A.F.
2010-May-01, 08:19 PM
I had a friend who had one of the old WebTVs, and I hated it. I do hope yours is better!

The original webtv's were good for getting on the web, and uploading pictures...and that's about it. The "new" webtv is programable remotely from msn, and I get frequent updates which increases efficiency, storage, etc...the speed with which it can surf the net is actually better than dial-up.

Of course I usually only use it now when I'm to tired/lazy to sit in front of a computer screen for hours. That is it's greatest selling point...you can literally sit in an recliner and surf the net. That can be done with a lap top, but not really while reclining... :)

I think it would be best to drop all this webtv talk (yeah, I know I started it :)) as it has gone way too far off topic.

HenrikOlsen
2010-May-02, 04:13 AM
That can be done with a lap top, but not really while reclining... :)
I'm in my bed, on my back, at the moment. I like laptops.:)

R.A.F.
2010-May-03, 03:08 AM
Problem I've found with doing that is getting a hot belly. :)

ToSeek
2010-May-03, 03:41 AM
Problem I've found with doing that is getting a hot belly. :)

I have to have a lap desk for my MacBook Pro, else I would toast.

mugaliens
2010-May-03, 05:20 AM
Oh, but as for the multi-quote thing; I used it once and didn't have any problems with it, but to be honest, I still multi-quote the same way I always did: click "reply to" the first thread, copy the portion of the quote code generated to clipboard, then click "reply to" on the next thread, and so one and so forth. It's not the easiest way to do it, but it's how I've done it since I first joined, so it's just kinda habit now.

I've done that about half the time myself, so it's an easy fallback.

slang
2010-May-07, 12:02 AM
FWIW: I just ran into a weird problem with the "Reply With Quote" button. It's been pretty persistent for at least 2 days, even through machine and browser restarts, tab closing, new session opening, etc. I would click the button, and the icon on it would indicate activity, but it would do so for quite a while, many minutes, and eventually nothing would happen. What fixed it for me (in Firefox 3.6.3) was to go to Tools->Options->Privacy->Remove Individual Cookies, open the 'folder' for bautforum.com, and remove the cookie that had "multiquote" in its name.

I can only speculate about a cause for this.. maybe I attempted earlier to 'multiquote' a post that now no longer exists, because it was moved or deleted by mods, or maybe the thread was closed, or maybe a PC crash caused it (this one tends to power down unexpectedly), or something else.

Messier Tidy Upper
2010-May-07, 02:49 PM
Computers are such frustrating machines at times! AARRRGHH! (wonderful too .. but exasperating.)

I've always thought they needed to come equipped with a JUST @!!%%#@!#! WORK button.

I've also always thought the best thing about inventing a true AI would be having the machine understand the threats you growl at it when its not working the way it is meant to be. ;) (joke!)

Sorry, my own computer skills are weak. All too weak sadly to help here.