PDA

View Full Version : Find this figure model kit

tashirosgt
2010-May-02, 02:22 AM
In the book "Sculpting From Life, A Studio Manual of the Sight-Size Method" there are many photographs of a 1/3 rd life size sculpture of a standing female nude being done from life. I know that I've seen this figure before as a plastic model (perhaps to a smaller scale). It was a so-called "garage kit" figure.

I suppose it's illegal for me to post images from the book, so I'll do a verbal description. The young lady has a medium build, not skinny like a typical fashion model. If we look at her from the front, she is standing looking to her right (our left). He right hand holds the hilt of a weapon (just a pole in the sculpture book, in the kit, I think it is a sword). It isn't clear whether she merely resting the point of the weapon on the ground or about to make a back hand slash with it, but the weapon is nearly vertical and her right arm is nearly straight, with the hand opposite her belly button. Her left arm is bent about 90 deg at the elbow and she is holding something with her left hand in front of her waist.

The figure has realistic anatomy, no exaggerations or "Anime" features.

Anyone know of such a kit? I didn't find it on the Gremlins In The Garage website.

Tobin Dax
2010-May-02, 03:07 AM
In the book "Sculpting From Life, A Studio Manual of the Sight-Size Method" there are many photographs of a 1/3 rd life size sculpture of a standing female nude being done from life. . . .

I suppose it's illegal for me to post images from the book, so I'll do a verbal description. . . .
Even if it weren't illegal, it still wouldn't be a good idea to those pictures here, based on your description.

Sorry that I can't help you with the kit.

tashirosgt
2010-May-02, 04:32 AM
Even if it weren't illegal, it still wouldn't be a good idea to those pictures here, based on your description.

I've long suspected that no adult content is allowed.

MAPNUT
2010-May-03, 03:34 PM
I'd argue that classical nude sculpture isn't "adult", in that no museum ever thought of restricting viewing. Some things just can't be made dirty.

Nowhere Man
2010-May-04, 12:45 AM
"Filth... is in the mind of the beholder." -- Tom Lehrer

Fred

Jens
2010-May-06, 06:12 AM
I'd argue that classical nude sculpture isn't "adult", in that no museum ever thought of restricting viewing.

Is it really true that no museum has ever thought of restricting viewing of such statues? I'm curious more than anything else. I know today it would seem unthinkable, but I'm wondering if that was always true.

Moose
2010-May-06, 11:31 AM
Is it really true that no museum has ever thought of restricting viewing of such statues? I'm curious more than anything else. I know today it would seem unthinkable, but I'm wondering if that was always true.

My legal foundations class covered a case from not so long ago where a teacher was fired, despite parental waivers and administration sign-offs, for organizing a class field trip to an art museum which hosted a painting of a nude or some such. It never went to court, but maybe it should have. It was pretty clear the teacher was being scapegoated. That situation was resolved through union grievance machinery.

Oh, and just saying: tashirosgt, suspect no longer. Posting 'adult material' is one of our three summary-ban offenses, as is clearly indicated in the rules you should have read. Despite it being in vogue these days, seemingly, to push at every boundary that BAUT sets, I recommend in the strongest possible terms that nobody ever attempt to probe for the dividing line between art and 'adult'.

novaderrik
2010-May-06, 02:29 PM
i remember waaay back in the fall of '01 when the attorney general of the United States used to give press conferences in a hall that had a statue of a topless Lady Justice. i think this was at the Justice Department. then one day, there was suddenly a curtain as a back drop and the statue was no longer seen. the "official" reason given for the change was to make it into a more formal interview setting...

Grey
2010-May-06, 02:55 PM
Here (http://www.jasonarkles.com/book/) is the website of the author (and self-publisher) of the book in question. He should be able to tell you the name of that particular piece of sculpture, and armed with that, you'd be much more likely to be able to track down a replica.