PDA

View Full Version : Forum format

zerocold
2010-May-04, 06:50 AM
Is there a way in which i could switch the forum format to the older one?..the vbulleting i think was called..i don't know..anyways, is there a way?, i find this new forum format a bit confusing..actually..a bit annoying :shifty:

slang
2010-May-04, 07:23 AM
vBulletin is the name of the forum software. During the recent changes it was upgraded from major version 3 to 4. AFAIK there is no way for you to make it look like it did before. One possibility is to add "styles", but (i think) only Fraser can do that. He choses to keep the installed software as much default as possible, to minimize headaches.

kleindoofy
2010-May-04, 08:23 PM
... One possibility is to add "styles" ...
If available, an admin with server access can add styles (aka skins) and allow users to choose from those installed.

However, skin developers usually expect everything to be the way the initial package and/or version is distributed. That is often only the case on boards that are operated strictly via the ACP (admin control panel). Many board admins add self-made or imported modifications which suit their special needs. These can collide with skins which are not adapted and tested with those modifications. And that means lots of work.

Thus, few boards offer mutiple skins, even though that is theoretically possible.

There is probably an "old style" skin for the new software version lying around somewhere, but I can well imagine that the admins have better things to do with their time.

slang
2010-May-04, 10:02 PM
Another possible reason to stay away from non-supported styles (that is, not updated with forum upgrades) is the chance of having security bugs in styles. I'm not sure if this applies to vBulletin, but I think there were some issues with other forum software packages. It gets tedious to scrutinize default style for changes and applying them all by hand to any custom styles. Not just for security bugs, but also to adapt old styles for possible new functionality in the main software.

I know at least Firefox allows for multiple CSS styles, offering a menu option to change in View->Page Style. Maybe editing the css files is another option to make some slight changes to display formats, but it's been too long since I messed with that to say if it's feasible or not.

kleindoofy
2010-May-04, 10:33 PM
... Maybe editing the css files is another option to make some slight changes to display formats, but it's been too long since I messed with that to say if it's feasible or not.
Yes, but only part of it.

The parts of the css which can't be changed directly via the ACP (name color, etc.) will probably only affect colors and sizes. Just changing a color often isn't enough. It usually has to be accompanied with changes to the html templates and sometimes tweeks in the php code to make changes coherent.

While setting up a phpBB forum for a local sports club of which I'm a member, I went through myriads of "officially" supported skins, only to find that none of them got anywhere near to what the club wanted. So, I took one close to the default, changed all the colors via the css to the club's colors, rearranged the html templates to meet the club's needs and preferences, etc.

For instance, the club wanted direct links to other club related websites right in the main forum navigation, no visible post count, extra profile areas for statistics, custom sport related icons, blah, blah, blah, none of which was could be added/changed via the ACP.

No way was I going to do that for more than one skin.

Yet, my changes were only minor and cosmetic and could be done my almost anybody who knows their way around html. Nothing in comparison to what many admins do to their boards, i.e. adding extra functions etc.

zerocold
2010-May-05, 01:57 AM
I was not asking the moderators to change anything :think:, just wanted to know if would be possible to change with some nasty browser trick :whistle:

I think the answer is that i can't, thanks all you for your replies

HenrikOlsen
2010-May-05, 06:02 AM
Everything is possible with nasty browser tricks.
"Just" use Firefox with the GreaseMonkey plugin and you'll have full programmatic access to the webpage before it's displayed and can manipulate it to your heart's desire.

zerocold
2010-May-05, 06:13 AM
have full programmatic access to the webpage before it's displayed and can manipulate it to your heart's desire.

That sounds ...complicated...and way too nasty and messy..

No worries, i will survive this format :)

Moose
2010-May-05, 09:34 AM
Everything is possible with nasty browser tricks.
"Just" use Firefox with the GreaseMonkey plugin and you'll have full programmatic access to the webpage before it's displayed and can manipulate it to your heart's desire.

Ooh! GreaseMonkey! Now there's a notion. (Task 1, turn the white down to a less headache-inducing 90%.)

Nick Theodorakis
2010-May-05, 03:22 PM
I know at least Firefox allows for multiple CSS styles, offering a menu option to change in View->Page Style. Maybe editing the css files is another option to make some slight changes to display formats, but it's been too long since I messed with that to say if it's feasible or not.

I was not asking the moderators to change anything :think:, just wanted to know if would be possible to change with some nasty browser trick :whistle:

I think the answer is that i can't, thanks all you for your replies

You can turn off styles completely (see slang's quote above for how to do this with Firefox) if you don't mind seeing plain text with embedded images. Actually, I'm doing it right as an experiment just to see if the board is usable without the style sheets and it works fine. Alternatively, if it's just the color contrast you don't like, you can try out zap colors bookmarklet (https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/zap.html), which I find handy for a lot of sites.

Another thing I do with Firefox is to set a minimum text size, so no website will display microtext for me. Go to Tools > Options > Content tab > go to "fonts and colors" section and hit "advanced" and you can see the "minimum text size" dropdown.

Nick

DonM435
2010-May-06, 01:04 PM
I figure that to be a losing battle. Even if the previous format is still available, it certainly won't be supported indefinitely.

Swift
2010-May-06, 01:07 PM
Just so people know, there is some discussion of these issues in moderator-land, but these are owner level decisions. When things get settled, we'll let you know.

kleindoofy
2010-May-06, 08:07 PM
... Even if the previous format is still available, it certainly won't be supported indefinitely.
Ther's a big difference bewteen the software (php code) that runs the forum and what the forum looks like (format).

When major new versions of the software are released, the people behind it like to make it look all new and different.

The new software version itself has little to do with the "skin" or "style," i.e. what the forum looks like.

If you go here: http://www.vbdesigns.de/styles_vb.php or here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=164, you will see that vBulletin can be made to look very different, although the software in the background is identical.

Fiddling with the css and html templates, adding/replacing graphics etc. has little or nothing to do with how the software functions.

As I posted somewhere above, BAUT could probably be made to look very much like it used to without switching the software version back to what it was. It could also be made to look totally different. Even custom styled.

DonM435
2010-May-07, 03:31 PM
I had no idea it was done that way. Thanks for the information.

DonM435
2010-Jun-09, 08:22 PM
My access problems mentioned earlier seem to have gone away lately.