PDA

View Full Version : Will Aliens Be Hostile?

Fraser
2010-May-04, 03:00 PM
Astrophysicist Stephen Hawking caused a bit a of buzz last week when he warned that we shouldn't attempt to contact aliens because the outcome probably wouldn't be good (for us, anyway). But once again, Neil de Grasse Tyson is a voice of reason about the whole thing.Watch a clip from the Discovery Channel's "Stephen [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2010/05/04/will-aliens-be-hostile/)

Argos
2010-May-04, 03:27 PM
Tyson, a refreshing voice of reason. Hawking has disappointed me big time with his alarmist assertions. His words has harmed the SETI community and possibly could be used to reinforce xenophobic agendas throughout the planet - Donīt trust your neighbor, donīt trust the [insert your favorite minority here].

Itīs a pity that Carl Saganīs sophisticated arguments havenīt received a similar coverage back in the day.

Jerry
2010-May-05, 04:33 AM
It is all silly. The cost of galactic travel - the fuel budget - isn't there - we won't do it, and neither will anyone else. If our sun explodes we will either figure out how to deal with it locally before hand, or die. Aliens won't come - it is to far - We are infinitely more likely to hear or see them than we are to feel them protruding from our navels.

Van Rijn
2010-May-05, 06:01 AM
It is all silly. The cost of galactic travel - the fuel budget - isn't there - we won't do it, and neither will anyone else. If our sun explodes we will either figure out how to deal with it locally before hand, or die.

That depends on how fast you want to go. On the timescale of the sun's eventual evolution into a red giant (not an explosion) the time it will take the Voyager spacecrafts to the reach the distance of other stars is small. If you want to go some significant fraction of the speed of light, then it becomes more difficult, but not physically impossible.

BigDon
2010-May-05, 05:35 PM
Tyson, a refreshing voice of reason. Hawking has disappointed me big time with his alarmist assertions. His words has harmed the SETI community and possibly could be used to reinforce xenophobic agendas throughout the planet - Donīt trust your neighbor, donīt trust the [insert your favorite minority here].

Itīs a pity that Carl Saganīs sophisticated arguments havenīt received a similar coverage back in the day.

A bit of a stretch there Argos. The second part of your first paragragh.

No, Hawkins has a point. Sagan was always a bit of a Pollyanna about a lot of things. I see it as 50/50. Or if you will, playing Russian roulette with three bullets in the cylinder. The extraterrestrials are going to be damaging or they aren't. Just consider all you have to lose though, if you are wrong. I think that's Mr. Hawkin's point.

You live in Brazil. What's the overall opinion of the arrival of the Spaniards again? Go ahead, ask around, I'll wait. :whistle:

Argos
2010-May-05, 05:46 PM
A bit of a stretch there Argos. The second part of your first paragragh.

It may be a stretch. But thatīs the problem with ideas, memes: they stretch.

Or if you will, playing Russian roulette with three bullets in the cylinder.

Big Don, in this case youīd be playing RR with a 1000-chambered cylinder, with one bullet.

Iīve watched the doco. The usual Discovery stuff. My nephew [aged 12] could have come up with that sort of argument. Sagan elaborated his arguments elegantly. Thatīs what Iīd expect of S. Hawking.

You live in Brazil. What's the overall opinion of the arrival of the Spaniards again? Go ahead, ask around, I'll wait. :whistle:

Bring them on! [I think youīre referring to the Portuguese colonizers, but thatīs alright too] ;)

JustAFriend
2010-May-05, 06:09 PM
Simple bell-shaped curve: If there are lots of sentient alien species, then some percentage of them will be Klingons.

Approach strangers with caution and try not to look like prey.....

Argos
2010-May-05, 06:21 PM
Simple bell-shaped curve: If there are lots of sentient alien species, then some percentage of them will be Klingons.

I doubt that a single space faring 'Klingon' is out there. All I can say is that Iīm in good company [of People like Carl Sagan, Jill Tarter, the aforementioned Neil de Grasse Tyson, and many more].

I leave Stephen Hawking for the kids, low-brows, discovery channel and its audience.

BigDon
2010-May-05, 06:37 PM
Argos, I haven't seen the documentary in question. Just going from sound bites and headlines. But going by a simple yes/no concept, the only one we can use with the available evidence, the odds are closer to my 50/50, than to your 1000 to 1. (All predicating someone "answering the phone".)

I think of a midge lighting on the surface of a still pond and sending out ripples with it's beating wings. Sometimes the midge finds a mate. And sometimes a trout finds the midge.

The same thing with Earth sending out life indicating signals into the greater unknown. Something totally beyond our ken is undoubtedly out there. With motivations solely unique to it/themselves.

(And I seriously contemplated using "Europeans" but realized that sounded wussy of me. And I did have history, I'm just recalling it now though. I'm 50, that's a lot of crap to sort through. :p)

Canis Lupus
2010-May-06, 07:04 PM
I doubt that a single space faring 'Klingon' is out there. All I can say is that Iīm in good company [of People like Carl Sagan, Jill Tarter, the aforementioned Neil de Grasse Tyson, and many more].

I leave Stephen Hawking for the kids, low-brows, discovery channel and its audience.

Well stated, tabloid science, but the military fund raisers will love it also. Let's not forget them.

BigDon
2010-May-07, 03:16 PM

Argos, have I ever claimed to be anything other than a brain-damaged furniture mover?

If my brow was any lower, it would be a mustache.

(Does this mean if I make it down to Brazil, we're not on for barbeque? How disappointing...)

Argos
2010-May-07, 03:31 PM
Big Don, youīre high brow on my watch. I donīt judge peopleīs intelligence for what they do for living, but for what they say. And the comment is not aimed at you.

Come down here and weīll party ourselves to the ER. ;)

BigDon
2010-May-07, 04:42 PM
Skip the E.R. thing and I'm in!

I'll make up a batch of "Spring Water". Quite refreshing and even women can't tell it's made with four quarts of vodka and a pint of everclear. Learned that one in the Navy.

Argos
2010-May-07, 05:30 PM
I'll make up a batch of "Spring Water". Quite refreshing and even women can't tell it's made with four quarts of vodka and a pint of everclear. Learned that one in the Navy.

Wow, sounds good. Mrs. Argos gonna love it. ;)

Cheers!

DonM435
2010-May-07, 06:08 PM
Yeah, that guy Hawking always was a dummy.

;)

Nereid
2010-May-10, 02:59 PM
What did clever people think about ET 10,000 years ago?

What will clever people think about ET 10,000 years from now?

Pick an animal species, recently extinct by the hand of humans. Did any individual animal of that species understand why so many of their kind were dying/had died?