PDA

View Full Version : My iTunes review says it all

syousef
2010-May-08, 09:41 PM
A huge thank you for your efforts. I finally got around to writing a review.

5 stars
Easily the best Podcast I listen to

May 8, 2010
This is easily the best podcast I listen to. I hope it continues for a very very long time. Sometimes the explanations at the layman's level are absolute genius. Dr Pamela Gay and Fraser Cain have found a format that works superbly and are able to make each and every show they produce consistently excellent. This is very rare. Even some of the other podcasts both of these wonderful people have been associated with fall well short of this level of quality.

Even though I did an Astronomy Masters (completed 2002) I am STILL learning things that I did not cover from this show. Granted I never practiced as a scientist (nor was it ever my intent when doing the degree) and the course was light weight as Astronomy courses go. (Though an understanding of calculus was recommended, it was optional). Still it is remarkable that despite my brackground I'm still picking up so much. What I already know I get to refresh. I am deeply greatful for this opportunity as I doubt life and circumstance weill ever allow me to study Astronomy again at University. This is the next best thing.

The show is very current, I'm learning about things that were not known or were very new when I did my degree. The detail with which dark matter, dark energy, resulting advances in cosmology, recent knowledge of gamma ray bursts, and information about extra-solar planets is covered is phenomenal. If I'm really interested and have the time I find I've learnt enough that I can look into the subjects in more depth including as much of the math as my background and my time allows.

I've been listening on the commute to and from work, and for a while I was listening every chance I got. It only took a few months to catch up on more than 3 years worth of podcasts. The material is sometimes light enough to digest while doing other things but I do find myself listening to the shows exploring more difficult concepts more than once. Regardless I'm almost always impressed at how clearly the content is described.

Don't get me wrong: The shows are not without flaw and sometimes silly science mistakes get or having studied Astronomy at University level I can think of a better explanation than the one given, or the explanation given is oversimplified. This is unsurprising given the number of hours of airtime and the regularity of the show. Though I can pick individual points and say i could do better, I have no delusions about being capable of producing a better show overall. These guys are talented and dedicated.

We need more Podcasts of this calibre and quality and we need more science education that is able to reach people in a non mathematical and entertaining way.

If you have any interest whatsoever in Astronomy download it now! I wish I'd found it sooner. Other podcasts I have listened to include 365 days of Astronomy, Slacker Astronomy, Sydney Observator night sky guide, and Stardate. They are all good and worthy shows, but nothing even comes close to Astronomy Cast.