PDA

View Full Version : CNN Gets in on it!

Avian
2004-Mar-18, 10:47 PM
Didn't see this posted yet, sorry if this is duplicating anything...

CNN has picked up the "debate"!

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/17/alien.debunk/index.html)

Go Phil!

Avian

somerandomguy
2004-Mar-18, 11:31 PM
I liked the headline.

"Scientist attacks alien claims on Mars"

Sounds like a property-rights dispute to me. "I claim this planet in the name of the Earth!"

man on the moon
2004-Mar-19, 04:40 AM
also saw that and came rushing over...sounds like the ba is getting some good publicity this time!

Aodoi
2004-Mar-19, 04:43 AM
Heh, I was just debating what forum to start the thread in, and here I was beaten to it. Oh, well. :)

Congrats, BA!

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-19, 05:32 AM
Add me to the list of people who came rushing in to see if there was already a post on this. :wink: I like the way BA's name is prominently right there in the first line! 8) (Even if it is right next to a picture of Hoaxland :evil: :-? )

jt-3d
2004-Mar-19, 07:20 AM
What's funny is the picture they used of RCH is from when he was on CNN. They just cropped the CNN logo off.

pmcolt
2004-Mar-19, 08:11 AM
At first I misread the title as "Scientists claim alien attacks on Mars". Bad brain! Bad! #-o

It's nice to see CNN treating Hoagland's *cough* theories with all the credibility and respect that they deserve. It would've been nice if they'd put in a clickable link to this site, though.

Darkwing
2004-Mar-19, 01:18 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised that the CNN article was as long and in depth as it was. In the end Hoagland will end up getting more publicity, but at least with this article people will hear a little bit about the other side of the argument.

Narthex
2004-Mar-19, 01:25 PM
It's nice to see CNN treating Hoagland's *cough* theories with all the credibility and respect that they deserve.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the CNN article was as long and in depth as it was

It's not a CNN article, they are just reprinting the space.com one.

Darkwing
2004-Mar-19, 01:26 PM
It's nice to see CNN treating Hoagland's *cough* theories with all the credibility and respect that they deserve.

Frankly, I'm surprised that the CNN article was as long and in depth as it was

It's not a CNN article, they are just reprinting the space.com one.

That would explain it then...

kucharek
2004-Mar-19, 01:26 PM
Let's see when we can watch the BA at Letterman's, Leno's, ...

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-19, 03:56 PM
I can't wait to see him on Leno, or ever better yet, on The Daily Show. What a hoot!

I've interacted with Hoagland (and the Nancy-Unit by the way) over the years and found him to be charming, but snake-oil charming. When Phil started working on his debunkment of the guy and his views, I sent him some of my experiences. And, after talking with Phil earlier this week, I decided to write up a little thing on woo-woo science on my own blog, using Hoagie and the Nancy-Unit as prime examples of the kind of thinking these folks espouse. They both remind me of the character Michener created in his novel, "Space" -- Dr. Leopold Strabismus. If you haven't read this, do so... the guy is a hoot...

Betenoire
2004-Mar-19, 07:51 PM
Any reaction from Hoagie?

Dang, now I'm hungry

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-19, 08:01 PM
Any reaction from Hoagie?

Dang, now I'm hungry

Who, to MY site? I doubt it. I'm small potatoes. I don't write for Hoagie anyway -- I'm more in the "try critical thinking and skepticism, you'll like it" camp...

;)

And yes, a hoagie does sound good right about now... ;)

Aodoi
2004-Mar-19, 09:37 PM
... and Slashdot: http://science.slashdot.org/science/04/03/19/1515237.shtml?tid=134&tid=160

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Mar-19, 11:16 PM
...They both remind me of the character Michener created in his novel, "Space" -- Dr. Leopold Strabismus. If you haven't read this, do so... the guy is a hoot...

Oh my great aunt Tillie's garden hose...Yes, I read 'Space", and found it an excellent fictional pseudohistory novel. Very well written, to the point of knowing for sure who that character really is...

Strabismus was the ultimate Yankee Peddler -- the smarmiest snake oil salesman to come down the astral paths in many a year, yet behind the scenes the penultimate businessman. A veritable melding of P.T. Barnum and Donald Trump.

Your comparison of Hoaxland and Her Liedership is dead-on accurate!

mike alexander
2004-Mar-19, 11:22 PM
Never read it but, Strabismus? Really?

strabismus: inability of one eye to attain binocular vision with the other because of imbalance of the muscles of the eyeball -- called also squint

Spacewriter
2004-Mar-20, 01:00 AM
Never read it but, Strabismus? Really?

strabismus: inability of one eye to attain binocular vision with the other because of imbalance of the muscles of the eyeball -- called also squint

Yea, really. That's part of what I loved about the character -- his absolute BALLS about everything from his name to the way he fleeced people.

Betenoire
2004-Mar-22, 02:13 PM
Who, to MY site? I doubt it. I'm small potatoes. I don't write for Hoagie anyway -- I'm more in the "try critical thinking and skepticism, you'll like it" camp...
Nah, to CNN.