PDA

View Full Version : BA slashdotted!

ToSeek
2004-Mar-19, 05:01 PM
The BA's debunking of Hoagland has made it to Slashdot. (http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/19/1515237&mode=thread&tid=134&tid=160) Let's see if his server can hold up (many of them can't).

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Mar-19, 05:39 PM
The site's been slashdotted before a few times. This one, however, comes on top of being on yahoo.com, msnbc.com, space.com, and cnn.com, as well as it being the day before the vernal equinox, when the egg pages get slammed. This should be interesting.

FWIW, my bandwidth was upped quite a bit when I moved to the new server. We're doing just fine. The site has had about 3 million hits since the 15th, not including today (my stats analyzer only processes data once per day, and so I won't find out about today until much later). It usually gets about 300,000 to 400,000 per day, so its rate has about doubled.

Tensor
2004-Mar-19, 05:44 PM
The site has had about 3 million hits since the 15th, not including today (my stats analyzer only processes data once per day, and so I won't find out about today until much later). It usually gets about 300,000 to 400,000 per day, so its rate has about doubled.

Phil, did you ever think when you started this site that you would be pulling in 3-400k hits a day? :o

ToSeek
2004-Mar-19, 05:51 PM
If your site goes down, Nancy will blame it on Planet X. ;)

gethen
2004-Mar-19, 09:04 PM
For whatever reason, things seem to be moving more slowly than usual today.

Aodoi
2004-Mar-19, 09:42 PM
Arg, must read titles before posting. Just mentioned this in the CNN thread.

Sigh. Must stop posting on too little sleep.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Mar-20, 12:07 AM
I was reading the slashdot stuff, and came across this. If you don't understand it, do a web search on "All your base are belong to us"

Plait: What happen?
Mechanic: Someone blow up us the Beagle!
Plait: What!
Operator: Main screen turn on!

Plait: It's you!!
Hoagland: How are you gentlemen!!
Hoagland: All your mars rover are belong to aliens
Hoagland: You are on the way to destruction

Plait: What you say?
Hoagland: You have no chance to explore mars junk
Hoagland: Ha ha ha ....
Operator: Dr. Plait!!

Captain: Take off every 'Beagle'!!
Captain: Move 'Beagle'.
Captain: For great justice.

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-20, 12:19 AM
I was reading the slashdot stuff, and came across this. If you don't understand it, do a web search on "All your base are belong to us"
:lol: ROFL!! :lol: Sometimes, I just love Slashdot!

Colt
2004-Mar-20, 01:09 AM
That's absolutely awesome. :D - Colt

Normandy6644
2004-Mar-20, 03:34 AM
That rules! I think it should be the new BA slogan here. :lol:

Dark Helmet
2004-Mar-20, 06:26 AM
this gem I found is more of a slight inside joke from slashdot, but still kida funny (if a bit mean):

It is official; Netcraft confirms: Richard C. Hoagland is dying.

One more crippling bombshell hit the already beleaguered conspiracy theory community when IDC confirmed that Richard C. Hoagland's market share has dropped yet again, now down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all conspiracy theorists. Coming on the heels of a recent Netcraft survey which plainly states that Richard C. Hoagland has lost more market share, this news serves to reinforce what we've known all along. Richard C. Hoagland is collapsing in complete disarray, as fittingly exemplified by failing dead last in the recent conspiracy theory comprehensive scientific test.

You don't need to be a Kreskin to predict Richard C. Hoagland's future. The hand writing is on the wall: Richard C. Hoagland faces a bleak future. In fact there won't be any future at all for Richard C. Hoagland because Richard C. Hoagland is dying. Things are looking very bad for Richard C. Hoagland. As many of us are already aware, Richard C. Hoagland continues to lose market share. Red ink flows like a river of blood.

Enterprise Mission is the most endangered of them all, having lost 93% of its core developers. The sudden and unpleasant departures of long time Enterprise Mission developers Art Bell and George Noory only serve to underscore the point more clearly. There can no longer be any doubt: Enterprise Mission is dying.

Let's keep to the facts and look at the numbers.

Enterprise Mission leader Richard C. Hoagland states that there are 7000 users of Enterprise Mission. How many listeners of Coast to Coast AM are there? Let's see. The number of Enterprise Mission versus Coast to Coast AM posts on Usenet is roughly in ratio of 5 to 1. Therefore there are about 7000/5 = 1400 Coast to Coast AM listeners. Coast to Coast AM posts on Usenet are about half of the volume of Coast to Coast AM posts. Therefore there are about 700 listeners of Coast to Coast AM. A recent article put Enterprise Mission at about 80 percent of the Richard C. Hoagland market. Therefore there are (7000+1400+700)*4 = 36400 Enterprise Mission users. This is consistent with the number of Enterprise Mission Usenet posts.

Due to the troubles of Walnut Creek, abysmal sales and so on, Enterprise Mission went out of business and was taken over by Coast to Coast AM who sell another troubled theory. Now Coast to Coast AM is also dead, its corpse turned over to yet another charnel house.

All major surveys show that Richard C. Hoagland has steadily declined in market share. Richard C. Hoagland is very sick and his long term survival prospects are very dim. If Richard C. Hoagland is to survive at all it will be among conspiracy theory dilettante dbblers. Richard C. Hoagland continues to decay. Nothing short of a miracle could save it at this point in time. For all practical purposes, Richard C. Hoagland is dead.

Fact: Richard C. Hoagland is dying

EDIT: If you don't get it, there are countless trolls on slashdot who use that as "It's official, netcraft confirms BSD is dying" just adapted rathe humorously to the situation

MKR
2004-Mar-20, 04:20 PM
"We've been slashdotted twice without any trouble!"

"Wait...is that a challenge?"

ToSeek
2004-Mar-22, 10:25 PM
The site's been slashdotted before a few times. This one, however, comes on top of being on yahoo.com, msnbc.com, space.com, and cnn.com, as well as it being the day before the vernal equinox, when the egg pages get slammed. This should be interesting.

FWIW, my bandwidth was upped quite a bit when I moved to the new server. We're doing just fine. The site has had about 3 million hits since the 15th, not including today (my stats analyzer only processes data once per day, and so I won't find out about today until much later). It usually gets about 300,000 to 400,000 per day, so its rate has about doubled.

So what did Slashdot do to you this time?

Postmortem
2004-Mar-23, 09:18 AM
you can handle being slash dotted, but can you handle being farked?? I have seen this site pop up on fark once before, how did it hold up?

captain swoop
2004-Mar-23, 09:27 AM
I have memory and awareness,
But I have no shape or form.
As a disembodied spirit,
I am dead and yet unborn.

Rush

Peter B
2004-Mar-25, 02:48 AM
:lol: ROFL!! :lol: Sometimes, I just love Slashdot!

Can someone explain Slashdot to an Internet innocent like me, please.

ToSeek
2004-Mar-25, 05:16 AM

Slashdot is a news-cum-discussion site for geeks. It's been around long enough that there's a significant cachet to having a low Slashdot user number (these have even gone up for sale on Ebay). I find it a good source for techie news, and about once a week I find a news item on there that would be of interest here.

In addition, it has a huge number of subscribers, so that if a site is mentioned on Slashdot, the site often gets overwhelmed by visits, hence the term "slashdotted."

Rift
2004-Mar-25, 12:58 PM
It's been around long enough that there's a significant cachet to having a low Slashdot user number (these have even gone up for sale on Ebay).

Sorta like having an Oct 2001 join date on this board? :P

Dark Helmet
2004-Mar-25, 03:01 PM
It's been around long enough that there's a significant cachet to having a low Slashdot user number (these have even gone up for sale on Ebay).

Sorta like having an Oct 2001 join date on this board? :P

or December 1969 :D