PDA

View Full Version : The Wait Is Over

Argos
2010-May-13, 02:18 PM
On the BBC: North Korea reports nuclear fusion success (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8676678.stm)

Itīs in the news, so it must be true, right?

:)

mike alexander
2010-May-13, 02:44 PM
I'm sure this comes from the corner of the map with the dragons on it.

harkeppler
2010-May-13, 04:01 PM
Interestingly thermonuclear advance is seen in a country without notable scientific and engeneering efforts.

Maybe thats a good example to be followed: cancel all space inistiatives and development, and a interplanetary space ship will come out of nothing...

Boratssister
2010-May-13, 06:33 PM
Whatever will the energy companies do if this technology gets out?
I suspect a war first before free electricity is free to the world.

P.s. Which star was the new one?

Argos
2010-May-13, 07:52 PM
P.s. Which star was the new one?

There wasnīt any.

Argos
2010-May-13, 07:56 PM
I posted this thread because of the infinitesimal probability that it could be true. Talk about 'giving people the benefit of the doubt'. :)

NEOWatcher
2010-May-13, 08:19 PM
P.s. Which star was the new one?There wasnīt any.
Considering the dynamics of all the Galaxies over head, I find it very likely a new star was born in the sky when he was born.
Afterall, he didn't specify "visible from Earth", did he?

mugaliens
2010-May-13, 08:35 PM
Sustained, or weaponized?

neilzero
2010-May-13, 11:02 PM
Maybe they built a Farnsworth fusor that produces a few miliwatts of fusion energy from about one kilowatt of electricity = far short of unity. Neil

Van Rijn
2010-May-13, 11:14 PM
On the BBC: North Korea reports nuclear fusion success (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8676678.stm)

Itīs in the news, so it must be true, right?

:)

Well, I do wonder what the specifics are for their claim. From the article:

The statement, carried by North Korea's official state media, said the country's scientists had succeeded in carrying out nuclear fusion.

That's trivial.

Laboratory demonstrations of the process, known to release large amounts of energy, are nothing new.

But the North Koreans appear to be claiming to have gone much further, by building what they describe as a "unique thermo-nuclear reaction device".

There are also a lot of "unique" devices around, though I'd be surprised if they had anything that was conceptually unique or that had great advantages over other efforts.

I suspect they got around to building some kind of research reactor.

kleindoofy
2010-May-13, 11:27 PM
Ahh, peanuts.

Once they got the Flux Capacitor going, it was all downhill from there.

So, now that NK has electricity to waste, all they need is tv's, computers, household appliances, food, ...

dgavin
2010-May-14, 07:17 PM
Unique? It's a breeder reactor, and wasn't exactly an unknown thing that they had one.