PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Planet!

Chip
2002-Apr-17, 07:00 AM
For cable TV viewers in North America, (or satellite viewers in many places on our planet), Turner Classic Movies will be showing the great Sci-fi film, "Forbidden Planet" in the wide screen "letterbox" format tonight! (April 17th) (Video versions you can buy are usually in a more limited format.) Just posted this because I love the film. Great story -- inspired by Shakespeare's "The Tempest." Fantastic effects, great Bonestell painted sets, Robby the Robot, Monster from the Id, the Krell lab, Ann Francis, what more do we need? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Here's a nice website devoted to it: http://sfstation.members.easyspace.com/fbhome.htm

Chip

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2002-04-17 03:02 ]</font>

Conrad
2002-Apr-17, 09:37 AM
One of my very favourite SF films ever.
I think I've watched the video @30 times since buying it, and I still remember being wowed by it as a teenager back in the mid-70's.

What I wonder nowadays is, what happened to Leslie Nielsen's character when he got back to Earth? Picture the scene ...
"Ah - Adams. Yes. We hear you blew up a planet, destroyed an alien civilisation and lost half your crew. Do you have any explanation?!"

David Hall
2002-Apr-17, 09:58 AM
My favorite too. I have a copy of the movie poster hanging on my wall.

Turner has been showing it in Letterbox format for several years now. It's nice to see some TV stations can occasionally present a good movie without destroying it utterly.

Of course, now there's a DVD out, and I intend to buy a copy as soon as I can track one down here. I know it's in widescreen format because I rented it back last December to watch again. But I really wish they'd put out a special edition with background info and such.

Here are some other movies I recommend on DVD:

2001: A Space Odyssey (No collection is complete without it.)
Blade Runner (of course)
Apollo 13 (includes a great 1 hour documentary on the making.)
Contact (has some good "making of" footage, especially the opening sequence)
Dark Star (John Carpenter's first movie. A low budget dark comedy. You can find it cheap.)
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai (A very underrated film in a nice new special edition.)

Some non SF:
The Blues Brothers (a great movie and it includes a detailed documentary also.)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Special edition--jam-packed with bonus stuff)
Monty Python and the Life of Brian (Ditto)
Time Bandits
Young Frankenstein

Of course, your tastes may vary. I've heard the Babylon 5 series is going to start coming out soon too. I can't wait for that one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Jiggs
2002-Apr-18, 01:59 AM

Jiggs
2002-Apr-18, 02:06 AM
Forbidden Planet - alltime great film from the late 50's? The DVD version lacks a director's cut as in a lot of classic restorations put to DVD. I believe the special effects were put in place by Disney. The idea of the instantainous creation of matter by thought was very advanced for the day.

Conrad
2002-Apr-18, 08:07 AM
I don't think the director, Fred McLeod Wilcox, will be making a Director's cut, since he's, er, dead.

But a nice DVD with extras would replace my well-worn video. Time to start dropping hints to the bread-knife!

David Hall
2002-Apr-18, 11:10 AM
On 2002-04-17 22:06, Jiggs wrote:
Forbidden Planet - alltime great film from the late 50's? The DVD version lacks a director's cut as in a lot of classic restorations put to DVD. I believe the special effects were put in place by Disney. The idea of the instantainous creation of matter by thought was very advanced for the day.

1956. They lost out on the best special effects Oscar to The Ten Commandments. They wuz robbed.

(And 40 years later they did it again when they chose Babe over Apollo 13.)

James
2002-Apr-19, 03:00 AM
On 2002-04-18 07:10, David Hall wrote:

On 2002-04-17 22:06, Jiggs wrote:

1956. They lost out on the best special effects Oscar to The Ten Commandments. They wuz robbed.

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya! A conspiracy!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Wiley
2002-Apr-19, 02:09 PM
On 2002-04-18 07:10, David Hall wrote:

I still can't believe Ron Howard wasn't even nominated for Best Director for Apollo 13.

JimB
2002-Apr-19, 02:21 PM
The Forbbiden Planet DVD doesn't have much extra stuff, but does have fantastic color. Rich, deep and lots of subtle tones, way better than any broadcast I remember years ago. Took my breath away.

David Hall
2002-Apr-19, 02:32 PM
I'm just PO'd that a few muppets and some CGI mouth movements were given a prize over the first movie to actually use real free-fall to film people in zero gravity. C'mon, who are we kidding here?

The academy playing favorites? Nah, never happens. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SeanF
2002-Apr-19, 02:41 PM
On 2002-04-19 10:32, David Hall wrote:
I'm just PO'd that a few muppets and some CGI mouth movements were given a prize over the first movie to actually use real free-fall to film people in zero gravity. C'mon, who are we kidding here?

The academy playing favorites? Nah, never happens. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ah, but see - since the Apollo 13 actors actually were in free-fall, that doesn't qualify as a "special effect," so . . .

Actually, I have no idea if that's true or not, just having a little fun. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Roy Batty
2002-Apr-19, 02:52 PM
Hey, thats an insult to Muppets! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.almac.co.uk/chef/chef/picsound/chef1.au
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Matherly
2002-Apr-19, 07:38 PM
Ah, but see - since the Apollo 13 actors actually were in free-fall, that doesn't qualify as a "special effect," so . . .

Actually, I have no idea if that's true or not, just having a little fun. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Acttualy, you're right, it's not a 'Special Effect', its a 'Visual Effect'. The diffrence is whether or not the effect in question was caught on film or added later. Light Sabers are 'Special Effects' since the glowy parts are added to the film after it is shot. Jackie Chan is a 'Visual Effect' since what he does acctually happens on the set and is filed by the camera.

SeanF
2002-Apr-19, 07:45 PM
On 2002-04-19 15:38, Matherly wrote:

Acttualy, you're right, it's not a 'Special Effect', its a 'Visual Effect'. The diffrence is whether or not the effect in question was caught on film or added later. Light Sabers are 'Special Effects' since the glowy parts are added to the film after it is shot. Jackie Chan is a 'Visual Effect' since what he does acctually happens on the set and is filed by the camera.

So, is the Academy Award for best special effects of best visual effects?

(BTW, Jackie Chan rocks!) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Russ
2002-Apr-25, 02:45 AM
So, is the Academy Award for best special effects of best visual effects?

Both! One for each. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 2002-04-24 22:47 ]</font>

Chip
2002-Apr-27, 06:13 PM
On 2002-04-19 10:21, JimB wrote:
The Forbbiden Planet DVD doesn't have much extra stuff, but does have fantastic color. Rich, deep and lots of subtle tones, way better than any broadcast I remember years ago. Took my breath away.

DVDs are nice, but the ultimate is to see Forbidden Planet on the big movie (cinerama) screen. Five years ago in Sacramento, the historic Crest Theater did just that. The saucer coming in to land on Altair 4 is most impressive on the BIG screen! I like the pre-synthesizer tape-loop electronic score more and more too. Garage door springs struck with a hammer still make the best "blaster" (i.e. phaser) sounds.

P.S. Where can I get one of those crew ball caps? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wiwaxia
2002-May-02, 09:52 PM
A sequel, called "The Invisible Boy" was made, but I don't know any details apart from the fact that Robbie was in it.

Chip
2002-May-02, 11:22 PM
On 2002-05-02 17:52, Wiwaxia wrote:
A sequel, called "The Invisible Boy" was made, but I don't know any details apart from the fact that Robbie was in it.

It wasn't a sequel of the story. It did however use some of the same props, including Robby the Robot (http://www.delos.fantascienza.com/delos55/img/robot/cinema/invisible-boy.jpg). The Forbidden Planet Krell lab props and some of the uniforms ended up on several episodes of the Twilight Zone. The saucer was finally destroyed in a Twilight Zone featuring Agnes Moorehead (http://incolor.inebraska.com/aradek/images/scifi_twilight.jpg) as what appears to be a Western frontier woman, being attacked by tiny aliens (who turned out to be us!)

Roy Batty
2002-May-02, 11:40 PM
I seem to remember 'Robby' turned up in at least 2 Twilight Zones & a Lost in Space episode. Cant be bothered to search for links now (hic!). Any other appearences? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Alan
2002-May-03, 02:18 PM
Robby appeared in Gremlins.

David Hall
2002-Jun-10, 02:51 PM
(This is probably the best thread for this so...)

Well, I just came back from a used shop with my new (used) DVD copies of Apollo 13 and Forbidden Planet. I'm so psyched!

I can't wait to wactch Apollo 13 with the audio comments on by Jim and Marilyn Lovell. I'm willing to bet there are all sorts of good tidbits in that one. And the 1 hour making-of documentary is worth the cost of the disc alone! (I know, I've seen it before and I can't wait to watch it again.) The disc also includes a bunch of liner notes, but I'm probably not going to get much out of those as this is the Japanese version of the disc and my reading ability is still sub-par. But I may try to wade through them anyway.

Forbidden Planet will also be good to watch again. Too bad it's just a basic version with no special do-dads. I'd love to see a collectors edition of it with all sorts of background info and artwork (didn't I say all this before though. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ). At least it's letterboxed.

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jun-10, 08:32 PM
Sigh. You guys keep this up, you're going to force me to go buy a DVD player. And a TV.

The (nothing to say here, people, move along) Curtmudgeon

beskeptical
2002-Jun-10, 09:40 PM
On 2002-06-10 16:32, The Curtmudgeon wrote:
Sigh. You guys keep this up, you're going to force me to go buy a DVD player. And a TV.

Don't hook up the antenna or the cable. I bought a TV after 9 years without when Mt. St. Helens erupted and the stupid thing is on all the time now. I'm sure they send subliminal messages to you to watch more.

Roy Batty
2002-Jun-10, 11:12 PM
Don't pay the power company... that works /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Conrad
2002-Jun-12, 10:57 AM
On 2002-06-10 16:32, The Curtmudgeon wrote:

The (nothing to say here, people, move along) Curtmudgeon

TV? DVD? Bah! When I was young we had to make our own entertainment, we banged two rocks together if we were lucky enough to find two of them, and thought we were having a pretty wild time, you youngsters today, don't know yer born (cont. Page 94)

Actually, my 7 year old daughter is currently watching DVD's (Charlie's Angels, Monkey)and takes it all for granted. When I was her age we didn't even have colour TV. Oh the march of progress, eh? And to think we owe so much of it to that non-existent Apollo.

Russ
2002-Jun-28, 06:47 PM
Well....to get back on the bad astronomy topic....

Anne Francis was one of the stars so that makes this note BA. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif The most glaring mistake in the show was when Anne was supposed to be swimming nude in the pond. They have a shot of her swimming from above and behind, where she swims to the edge of the pond and climbs out. You can clearly see that she is wearing a skin colored, one piece, bathing suit. Even at the tender age of nine, when I first saw this movie, I was very disapointed that she wasn't really nude. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Chip
2002-Jun-28, 07:22 PM
That's the weird 50's morality for you. Of course, if the movie were made today they would have too much of....ummm...let's not go there.
BTW: The movie is on again Saturday, 06/29/02 on Turner Classic Movies, and its in "letterbox" so you can see everything! (Except Ann Francis a natural.) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Russ
2002-Jun-28, 08:31 PM
Ya know...I just thought of more BA. At the end when they are escaping the impending explosion and must be 100,000,000 miles away. Robby says they are now the required distance and about 30 seconds later they watch the explosion on the monitor. If that timing really happened then the explosion was about 8-9 minutes earlier as that is about how long it would take the light to traval that distance.

Also, the really bad part, Anne Francis was not nude in this scene either. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

SeanF
2002-Jun-28, 08:38 PM
On 2002-06-28 16:31, Russ wrote:
Ya know...I just thought of more BA. At the end when they are escaping the impending explosion and must be 100,000,000 miles away. Robby says they are now the required distance and about 30 seconds later they watch the explosion on the monitor. If that timing really happened then the explosion was about 8-9 minutes earlier as that is about how long it would take the light to traval that distance.

Well, duh - the EM radiation was the problem. They didn't need to be 100,000,000 miles away when it happened, just 100,000,000 miles away when the radiation reached them. So, Robby was taking c into account when determining how much time they had. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, the really bad part, Anne Francis was not nude in this scene either. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

LOL!