PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Star Trek oracle

HAVOC451
2004-Mar-20, 12:07 PM
I was watching TNG today. It was the episode with the orphan Q girl.
Amanda (Q girl) is getting a tour of engineering and wonders how much energy the ship is making. Data tells her the ship is currently producing 16.8 billion gigawatts. :o

Is there anything in the many books, companions, and compendiums out there that go into how they're suposedly generating all this power and just what they're doing with it?

jokergirl
2004-Mar-20, 01:26 PM
I would say warping space, replicating food and beaming people is quite energy-intensive :lol:

And, of course, all those blinking lights and holodeck parties...

;)

constible
2004-Mar-20, 03:12 PM
I don't know if anything's written in the books, but it's all due to anti-matter. Lots of anti-matter. Coming from dilithium crystals. And nuclear fission can restore cracked dilithium crystals.

Roy Batty
2004-Mar-20, 04:20 PM
If you reverse the polarity does it becomes -16.8 Trillion Watts? 8)

Tobin Dax
2004-Mar-20, 06:45 PM
Maybe the Enterprise uses about 14 billion flux capacitors? :D

Ut
2004-Mar-20, 07:37 PM
Does that mean it can travel back in time?

novaderrik
2004-Mar-20, 11:30 PM
they can only travel back in time if the plot calls for it.
i've always wondered this- if they can travel back in time, then come back to the present time- why don't they travel forward in time just for kicks?
screw the prime directive or whatever other "laws" they have that apply to time travel- they tend to disregard them when it's convenient, anyways. they could wipe the computer memory clean of it- or just blame it on rebellious beta carotine particles or whatever that skewed the space/time continuum (or just say Q did it)- and no one would be the wiser..
which reminds me of something i've been wanting to know- has Q (or any Q, for that matter) shown up on Enterprise yet?

Chuck
2004-Mar-20, 11:35 PM
I haven't seen any Q yet and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any episodes.

Russ
2004-Mar-20, 11:57 PM
Amanda (Q girl) is getting a tour of engineering and wonders how much energy the ship is making. Data tells her the ship is currently producing 16.8 billion gigawatts. :o

Is there anything in the many books, companions, and compendiums out there that go into how they're suposedly generating all this power and just what they're doing with it?
There is a series of books called "The Star Trek Technical Manual", there is one for each version of the show. It sprang from the need to keep continuity for all of the show's writers. The books discuss the "theory" of warp drive, the roll of the dilithium crystal in the matter/antimatter reaction, etc.

They are wonderful books that give you a deep insight into the reason things work the way the do on the shows. All of their physics and engineering are total fantasy but fun none the less.

HAVOC451
2004-Mar-21, 08:09 AM
Thanks Russ.

Gas Giant
2004-Mar-22, 12:15 PM
Data tells her the ship is currently producing 16.8 billion gigawatts.So 16.8 exawatts, then. What's the point of having the extra quantifiers if people aren't going to use them? I thought Trek had scientific advisors for this sort of stuff? :D

captain swoop
2004-Mar-22, 12:21 PM
Data tells her the ship is currently producing 16.8 billion gigawatts.So 16.8 exawatts, then. What's the point of having the extra quantifiers if people aren't going to use them? I thought Trek had scientific advisors for this sort of stuff? :D

Who has heard of an Exawatt?

Gas Giant
2004-Mar-22, 12:24 PM
Apart from me? Data would have, I'd have thought. As would everyone in Engineering if they're actually generating that much power.

In the public at large? Not so many, but who understands most Trekspeak anyway?

Glom
2004-Mar-22, 01:19 PM
I thought Trek had scientific advisors for this sort of stuff? :D

Then you are sorely mistaken.

captain swoop
2004-Mar-22, 01:52 PM
How big is a 16 Exawatt fuse then?

spelling edit

SeanF
2004-Mar-22, 02:56 PM
Amanda (Q girl) is getting a tour of engineering and wonders how much energy the ship is making. Data tells her the ship is currently producing 16.8 billion gigawatts.So 16.8 exawatts, then. What's the point of having the extra quantifiers if people aren't going to use them? I thought Trek had scientific advisors for this sort of stuff? :D

Who has heard of an Exawatt?Apart from me? Data would have, I'd have thought. As would everyone in Engineering if they're actually generating that much power.

In the public at large? Not so many, but who understands most Trekspeak anyway?

But Amanda 'Q-t' Rogers was not an Engineer, so perhaps Data used a term he felt she would be more familiar with? :)

daver
2004-Mar-22, 05:34 PM
But Amanda 'Q-t' Rogers was not an Engineer, so perhaps Data used a term he felt she would be more familiar with? :)
Perhaps 187 kg/sec would have been more intuitive.

daver
2004-Mar-22, 05:48 PM
Perhaps 187 kg/sec would have been more intuitive.
This is pretty close to 100 times the amount of solar energy intercepted by the earth, by the way.

Presumably the antimatter is channeled via the dilithium crystals. If the antimatter is balanced by an equivalent amount of normal matter carried along with the starship, and if the 187 kg is typical, then the Enterprise is about three million tons lighter after a year of cruising.

2004-Mar-22, 09:50 PM
I would expect that high of a power output during warp travel maybe, but I wouldn't think anything near that would be required for normal operations to support the ship (at least outside of a combat situation). So it wouldn't necessarily be that much lighter after a full year. Also, I believe that the matter that gets annihilated to provide power comes mostly from hydrogen scooped up by the bussard collectors.

Russ
2004-Mar-22, 10:01 PM

spelling edit
They wouldn't use a Fuse, they'd have a circuit breaker. It would probably be both a thermal and current format. So it would beeee....... about 20 meters on a side and 40 meters tall. Unless they used that new vandium/neutronium alloy super-conductor for the wiring. Then it'd be a cube about 2 millimeters on a side. :wink: :lol:

AndrewGPaul
2004-Mar-23, 12:41 AM

spelling edit
They wouldn't use a Fuse, they'd have a circuit breaker.

Not on a Federation starship, they wouldn't. Otherwise, the consoles woudln't explode everytime someone shoots a pellet gun at the ship, and where would be the fun in that? :)

Starlionblue
2004-Mar-24, 11:00 AM
If you can find it, "Star Trek the Next Generation: the Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers, Vol 2" by Phil Farrand (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440505712/qid=1080125751/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/102-5883858-3210565?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) is a lot of fun. IT goes through every episode and takes it apart. This is done with tongue firmly in cheek since Mr Farrand is actually a huge fan.

Farrand has also written books on DS9 and Classic Trek.

Included are equipment oddities, plot holes and other fun stuff. Hilarious.

Alex12
2004-Mar-24, 02:04 PM
I say Q scrambled datas vocal generator (or whatever). Data probably meant to say 16.8 gigawatts.

2004-Mar-24, 02:11 PM
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the ship's power was measured somewhere in the Terawatts range. It takes a LOT of power for warp drive.

I realize that somewhat contradicts what I said earlier, but thinking about it more, I seem to recall that. Anyone have the technical manual handy? I've no idea where mine is.

Moondust
2004-Mar-24, 11:10 PM
From the TNG episode The Masterpiece Society Geordi says "we have a matter/antimatter warp reactor system, the most powerful in Starfleet, it takes plasma up to the terawatt range."

Knowing this makes me a Geek.

Roy Batty
2004-Mar-24, 11:57 PM
From the TNG episode The Masterpiece Society Geordi says "we have a matter/antimatter warp reactor system, the most powerful in Starfleet, it takes plasma up to the terawatt range."

Knowing this makes me a Geek.
No, it makes you a terageek :wink: 8)

Gremalkyn
2004-Mar-25, 04:28 AM
I have just re-read the Warp Propulsion Systems section of TNG Tech Manual, and find no info regarling watts or any version thereof. Lots of Hz mentioned for the sub-systems, but no total power output.

Russ
2004-Mar-29, 04:46 PM

spelling edit

Not on a Federation starship, they wouldn't. Otherwise, the consoles woudln't explode everytime someone shoots a pellet gun at the ship, and where would be the fun in that? :)
I stand corrected. :oops:

Wingnut Ninja
2004-Mar-29, 09:11 PM

spelling edit

I think Starfleet medical has a very shady union deal with the engineers to keep their business up. 8-[

PhantomWolf
2004-Mar-29, 09:27 PM
I think Starfleet medical has a very shady union deal with the engineers to keep their business up. 8-[

Not just the Starfleet one, I saw the same effects in a Stargate episode the other week :roll:

Glom
2004-Mar-29, 10:52 PM
Not just the Starfleet one, I saw the same effects in a Stargate episode the other week :roll:

Unfortunately so. One of SG1's plus points was that it showed a military that was, unusually for a SF series, competent. They looked at the Air Force and built the SGC on that. But when it came to spacebourne aircraft carriers, rather than looking at the Navy and figuring out how they would operate one of their carriers if it were in space, they looked at Starfleet instead. [-(

pmcolt
2004-Mar-31, 06:35 AM

You guys all misunderstand; those red-shirted ensigns sitting at the consoles are the fuses. The Starfleet engineers did that as part of their mandate to begin integrating organic technology into key systems.

Why SG1 had to follow suit is anyone's guess. The exploding-console-on-starship brain bug seems to be spreading. #-o

captain swoop
2004-Mar-31, 08:28 AM
snip

Why SG1 had to follow suit is anyone's guess. The exploding-console-on-starship brain bug seems to be spreading. #-o

How else do you show the action? a delicate shake of the set? We want explosions in our space battles and lots of smoke and sparks.

daver
2004-Mar-31, 05:08 PM
snip

How else do you show the action? a delicate shake of the set? We want explosions in our space battles and lots of smoke and sparks.

You could go the E. E. Doc Smith route, and show the shields briefly glow as they absorb and deflect the energy. You could even have portions of the shield turn funny colors as a worried ensign announces that the shields are going down. When the shields do go down, you could show the weapons officer grimly announcing that the next blast will destroy them. When that blast hits, the ship could explode into a cloud of vapor; you could have a few semi-molten parts drift past the camera, possibly followed by a burned and mangled body part (probably a hand).

This works best if you have a backup ship, otherwise your story ends pretty quickly.

Swift
2004-Mar-31, 07:48 PM
snip

Bewildering error messages from the Ferengi-Microsoft operating system as Gordi tries to hot-swap a new controller board for the phasers. A little tribble icon popping up on the screen saying "It looks like you are trying to raise the shield, would you like some help?" Blue-screen-of-death on all the consoles as their operating systems crash. Picard frantically trying control-alt-delete as the Borg slice up the ship. And Jeff Goldblum saving the day by shutting down the Borg with an Apple II and a wire coat hanger as a wireless modem.

Shadowhawk
2004-Mar-31, 08:00 PM
Actually, you forgot a rather important part of the quote.
Data says "16.8 billion gigawatts per" before he gets cut off. Watts already implies a 'per', so you'd have to assume that Data was about to qualify the number, since producing that much power while the ship is basically in low-useage mode is ludicrous. At least, from a suspension of disbelief standpoint. From a normal standpoint, just another example of the stupid science of Star Trek. :D

Glom
2004-Mar-31, 09:03 PM
Of course, most of the Prometheus episodes have been written by Damian Kindler so what do you expect?