PDA

View Full Version : Is There Any Way to Kill the "Quick Reply" Box?

Tuckerfan
2010-May-15, 07:46 PM
I'm probably the only person who dislikes it, but I much prefer having a larger window to type in and since the change to the new version of vB, I can't seem to get to a large reply box without having to make an inordinate number of clicks. When you're quoting someone, but only small portions of their original comments appear in the window, you've either got to do lots of scrolling around or click on the "go advanced" button. Its annoying to have to do that, when its not needed on every other site I visit which uses vB.

HenrikOlsen
2010-May-15, 08:09 PM
Double clicking the Reply button doesn't work for you?

Tuckerfan
2010-May-15, 09:19 PM
No. I click "reply" once, I get the annoying quick reply box, if I click the "reply" button again, nothing happens, other than a little swirling symbol near the quick reply box for a few seconds.

ETA: Correction, it does work when doing a quote, but I'd like to be able to dispense with the whole "Quick Reply" box altogether, I don't like it, and given how it takes up space on my rather small monitor, I'd prefer not to have it there at all.

Tobin Dax
2010-May-15, 09:52 PM
Double clicking the Reply button doesn't work for you?

Cool. I'll have to remember that.

No. I click "reply" once, I get the annoying quick reply box, if I click the "reply" button again, nothing happens, other than a little swirling symbol near the quick reply box for a few seconds.

ETA: Correction, it does work when doing a quote, but I'd like to be able to dispense with the whole "Quick Reply" box altogether, I don't like it, and given how it takes up space on my rather small monitor, I'd prefer not to have it there at all.

I just double-clicked a Reply button below a post in the thread, and it gave me the "Advanced" window. That's a quick double-click, not click once then click again. (I'm not trying to be condescending, it just sounds like you did the latter.)

Or are you annoyed by the quick reply box at the end of a thread? That's always been there.

Van Rijn
2010-May-15, 10:58 PM

The double clicking thing can be affected depending on what browser/browser version you're using, and whether or not you have scripts allowed.

Anyway, if you can double click on the "Reply With Quote" button on a post and get the so-called advanced editor, you should be able to click on the "Reply to Thread" button and go to the advanced editor without including any quotes. I don't know if that's any easier than clicking on the "Go advanced" button, though.

Gillianren
2010-May-15, 11:38 PM
Or are you annoyed by the quick reply box at the end of a thread? That's always been there.

There was something to click next to it which took it away.

Tobin Dax
2010-May-16, 02:39 AM

Ah, I never bothered to look for something like that. Thanks, Gillian.

Tuckerfan
2010-May-16, 06:23 AM
The double clicking thing can be affected depending on what browser/browser version you're using, and whether or not you have scripts allowed.

Anyway, if you can double click on the "Reply With Quote" button on a post and get the so-called advanced editor, you should be able to click on the "Reply to Thread" button and go to the advanced editor without including any quotes.Nope. That just gets the "Quick Reply" box all excited.

Tuckerfan
2010-May-16, 06:24 AM

You could also kill the "Related Threads Box" and the "Posting Rules" box in a similar manner.

Gillianren
2010-May-16, 06:38 AM
You could, yes, and I did.

Van Rijn
2010-May-16, 07:09 AM
Nope. That just gets the "Quick Reply" box all excited.

Ah. Would you happen to be using IE6? I've seen that behavior in that browser.

Tuckerfan
2010-May-16, 07:16 AM
Ah. Would you happen to be using IE6? I've seen that behavior in that browser.

Nope. Opera. IE is too much of a hacker magnet for me to run it on any of my PCs.

mugaliens
2010-May-20, 07:24 PM

Double-clicking doesn't work for me, as I click too fast. :) But if I hit reply, then after the Quick Reply box pops up hit Reply again, that brings up the advanced editor with the larger window.

But even that window is way too small.