PDA

View Full Version : is apollohoax.com dead?

Johnno
2002-Apr-17, 07:08 PM
Ive been getting a 'the page cannot be displayed' error message for a good while now, figured Id see if anyone of the regulars know anything about it.

Cheers,

Johnno

AstroMike
2002-Apr-17, 07:13 PM
I just got the "The page cannot be displayed" message now.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 07:30 PM
Nah, it works just fine.

Johnno
2002-Apr-17, 07:45 PM
really john? doesnt over here. no matter what I try...

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 08:03 PM
Apollo Hoax Forum Index General Discussion Is this forum working?
Author Is this forum working?
johnwitts
CAPCOM

Posted: 2002-04-17 17:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes it is!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 08:04 PM
Question is, is the BA's clock working?

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 08:05 PM
Maybe Space Radiation is frying all the electronics? Or maybe Space Cabbage?

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 08:06 PM
What Timezone is this forum in? My clock currently says 22:52.

DaveC
2002-Apr-17, 09:02 PM
I haven't been able to get to Apollohoax either - I get the same message and have every time I tried it today. Oh well.
It's currently 18:49 in Toronto. I'll post this and see what time BABB assigns to it.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 09:03 PM
BA's clock seems to be fast (or slow).

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 09:45 PM
Now it's dead. 00:32 UK time (BST), I can't get Apollohoax either now. Maybe the UK's slower ISP's didn't notice as quickly? Or maybe the Space Cabbage doesn't swim too well? Who knows? Jack White, maybe?
I've been following the slaughter of Jack at JFK, and Craig's got him. Even invited him here, but Jack went quiet on that one!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: johnwitts on 2002-04-17 17:49 ]</font>

jrkeller
2002-Apr-17, 09:53 PM
I couldn't get it either. I also tried several different combinations of apollo and hoax, thinking that maybe some typo is why we can't get it now. I think I'll have a beer and toast its demise.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-17, 10:03 PM
Actually, the BABB has been playing up tonight as well. I wonder if it's a system wide problem with phpBB? I is still strange that I could get apollohoax up after everyone else has had trouble all day. I read it lunchtime, 12+ hours ago, then later at 4ish. OK then too. It's not till after midnight that I can't get it. Is there something funny about the date 18/04/02?
Mary Bennett could probably find a link.

infocusinc
2002-Apr-18, 12:10 AM
Did you see the one where Jack White proved the crosshairs were added in the darkroom? He has proof! That is until I did a small experiment he cant beat...well at first he said I faked it (yawn) now he is stuck.

BTW, just went to Apollohoax and got in fine.

Craig

AstroMike
2002-Apr-18, 03:42 AM
Apollohoax is still not working for me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Can someone contact Jonathan and see what's going on. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ian R
2002-Apr-18, 04:02 AM
Jonathan probably forgot to send his latest payment for the http://www.apollohoax.com URL, or something silly like that.

Hauteden
2002-Apr-18, 04:54 AM
It not coming up for me either. I've tried both my links, one for the main page and one for the forums.

Hauteden

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-18, 06:22 AM
On 2002-04-17 16:06, johnwitts wrote:
What Timezone is this forum in? My clock currently says 22:52.

Check out BA's response to this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=34&forum=6&start=0). It appears that the server is in the Mountain Time Zone, but their clock is off.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-18, 08:57 PM
I've had trouble connecting to Badastronomy as well tonight. What's going on? First Apollohoax goes, then BABB stops working.
The sweat is pouring off me as I enter panic mode.

Jigsaw
2002-Apr-19, 12:16 AM
William the C. says the apollohoax.com's domain name expired on April 15.

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1094&forum=3&1

David Hall
2002-Apr-19, 04:02 AM
On 2002-04-18 16:57, johnwitts wrote:
I've had trouble connecting to Badastronomy as well tonight. What's going on? First Apollohoax goes, then BABB stops working.
The sweat is pouring off me as I enter panic mode.

I've noticed that the BadAstronomy servers tend to hang up sometimes. I haven't been able to see any real pattern for it except it seems to happen mostly around midnight here, which I take to be about sunrise in Colorado. They seem to last from a few minutes up to half an hour on occasion.

It's been a real pain sometimes. Several times I've written a long post only to have the server go down as I try to submit it, causing me to lose the whole thing.

The best thing to do when a site goes down is to try and wait it out first. The problem is usually server-related and will come up again after a while. Only if the site is down for several days should one start to get worried.

Johnno
2002-Apr-19, 04:11 AM
"Several times I've written a long post only to have the server go down as I try to submit it, causing me to lose the whole thing"

Been there done that (on various other forums), the best thing to do is to learn to select all the text, hit ctrl-c, and then hit post. If it doesnt go through, race to your notepad or other text editor,and paste it there and save for later.

Johnno

Martian Jim
2002-Apr-19, 12:17 PM
if you hit the back button on your internet browser, it will go back and the text should still be there (it works on my internet explorer). click any other back button and it will be lost

JayUtah
2002-Apr-19, 01:49 PM
Netscape frequently isn't so kind. If you've taken longer to write your post than the cache expiry hint suggests for the posting page, Netscape will try to reload it and also thereby discard any data having to do with that form.

SpacedOut
2002-Apr-19, 03:37 PM
Im just a newbie here (thanks to GOW) but I generally construct by posts in Word and then copy and paste to the post window. I do this for several reasons spelling, thesaurus, grammar, and just to make sure someone doesnt sneak in with the same info while Im writing.

Just a thought.

johnwitts
2002-Apr-20, 12:43 PM
Can anyone get in touch with Johnathan? I've E-mailed him a couple of times, using all the addresses I've got, with no joy. I've offered to pay to get the domain name reregistered, or whatever you have to do, I've even offered to take the site over. If we can't get in touch with him, is there any way to reregister without out him, as is implied in the post about the hotmail site being saved. I really wouldn't want that site to 'die' as I've spent a lot of time there and made quite a few E-friends as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

johnwitts
2002-Apr-20, 12:51 PM
I've just found that the webfors forum, which was linked from apollohoax, and which seems to be the host, can't be displayed.

The mystery deepens...

johnwitts
2002-Apr-20, 12:53 PM
The two phpBB links at the bottom of this page don't work either, so I'm assuming phpBB is all offline. So how come this site works?

Ian R
2002-Apr-20, 11:18 PM
I just knew that something like this would happen. John, I hope you haven't lost all of those photographs AGAIN...

Johnno
2002-Apr-20, 11:23 PM
Oh no, John's photographs. They're what upset jonathan to delete all the posts, now John put them up again, and jonathan removed the entire site! cripes, it's larger than I thought! run, run! hide!

johnwitts
2002-Apr-20, 11:28 PM
I've been in touch with Eric. He informs me that Jonathan is sorting it out right now. I still wonder why he's not returned my E-mails. Hope he's OK.

(IanR, I bought a new video recorder today, so there's at least some hope that you may get your stuff by the end of the year.)