PDA

View Full Version : Solar Eclipse safe viewing.

Chris
2010-May-29, 07:00 AM
Hi, I have question regarding solar eclipses. I know they can be very dangerous to view by naked eye (especially the diamond ring phase), and that one should use proper eye protection. However I read somewhere that totality (by this I mean the part after the first diamond ring, and before the second one, when the sun is fully covered by the moon) can be viewed safely by naked eye. Is this true?

alwaysnumb
2010-May-29, 10:05 AM
Doubt anyone would ever advise you to look directly at the sun.

Hornblower
2010-May-29, 11:40 AM
Hi, I have question regarding solar eclipses. I know they can be very dangerous to view by naked eye (especially the diamond ring phase), and that one should use proper eye protection. However I read somewhere that totality (by this I mean the part after the first diamond ring, and before the second one, when the sun is fully covered by the moon) can be viewed safely by naked eye. Is this true?

It is true. The surface brightness of the corona is similar to that of the full Moon.

grant hutchison
2010-May-29, 12:18 PM
The surface brightness of the corona is similar to that of the full Moon.For which reason, you can't see a thing if you actually try to observe it through an eclipse-viewing filter. The one total eclipse I've seen was a little marred by a man yelling "Where is it? I can't see it!" because he'd forgotten to remove his filter glasses.

Grant Hutchison

Chris
2010-May-30, 05:55 PM
Thanks. I am going to Easter Islands for the 2010 eclipse, that's why I asked. Wouldn't want to mess up the eyes. I've seen a total eclipse before, but I was afraid to look at it for longer than a glance during totality.

JohnD
2010-May-31, 09:23 AM
Chris,
You lucky guy! I envy you.

But I think you can be guided by common sense, and if you have astronomers or other experts with you, by them as well.
A glance at the normal, clear sky Sun will leave you with a transient residual image but no lasting damage.
I'm sure that looking at the Sun in totality risks only a similar glance as the 'Diamond Ring' effect appears, when you will see only a fraction of the Sun's surface and energy.
You will have plenty of time to look away, put back on your Sun-viewing specs and go on enjoying the re-emergence!
Please tell us about your experience when you get home!

John