PDA

View Full Version : Destroying a Black Hole with Anti-Matter?

RalofTyr
2010-May-30, 09:06 PM
Would it be possible to destroy a black hole if you threw enough anti-matter into it?

grant hutchison
2010-May-30, 09:09 PM
Would it be possible to destroy a black hole if you threw enough anti-matter into it?No, it would just add mass to the black hole.
Even if the antimatter were to encounter some matter below the event horizon, on its way to the singularity, the resultant energy release would stay inside the event horizon and end up in the singularity.

Grant Hutchison

DrRocket
2010-May-30, 10:55 PM
Would it be possible to destroy a black hole if you threw enough anti-matter into it?

No, but it would be pure hell on your pitching arm.

ShinAce
2010-May-31, 10:56 PM
No, but it would be pure hell on your pitching arm.

I can't help but imagine a ship straying too close to a BH. Captain yells "dump the antimatter reactor", thinking it will soften the BH. Sure enough, the BH swallows the antimatter, grows, only to make it easier to consume the ship.

Sci-fi comedy gold I tell ya.

As pointed out, antimatter will not work.

EDG
2010-May-31, 11:08 PM
Sci-fi comedy gold I tell ya.

As pointed out, antimatter will not work.

*gasp* are you telling me that the science in the new Star Trek movie is wrong? ;)

WayneFrancis
2010-May-31, 11:57 PM
Ah yea, star trek isn't the best place to go for hard science :P It is a little better then the science of the Death Star or the famous "Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs." Did Han find a "short cut"?