PDA

View Full Version : [The origin of the Universe]

Gomar
2010-Jun-01, 08:25 PM
Now as for whats beyond the walls of the room... stay tuned

I am back from my well deserved vacation from cosmological investigations and studies. Ok, so, multiple universes expand as balloons do in a room. But, there are in fact many rooms in a house; likewise, there are many houses on a street, etc.

Why should all the matter in the universe condensed in a singular matter the size of a pin's head explose at all? Why assume this happened only once in the cosmos? And where did this original matter come from?

pzkpfw
2010-Jun-01, 09:08 PM
OP moved from : http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/103728-Universe-Why-are-we-in-the-middle
Gomar, please suggest a better title (than the one I used) for this thread.

Cougar
2010-Jun-01, 09:17 PM
Why assume this happened only once in the cosmos?

Well, we know it happened at least once because we detect the universe around us. But there is no evidence that there are any more 'universes' beyond ours. In fact, it is very difficult to imagine how we could ever come up with such evidence, even in principle....

Cougar
2010-Jun-01, 09:22 PM
Why should all the matter in the universe condensed in a singular matter the size of a pin's head explode at all?

"Explode" is probably not a very accurate description. Have you heard of quantum fluctuations? Heisenberg uncertainty? These could be clues. But bottom line, nobody knows why or how the expanding universe we find ourselves in began.

WayneFrancis
2010-Jun-02, 01:23 AM
ok first off is a pet peeve of mine. Nothing says "all the matter in the universe condensed in a singular matter the size of a pin's head". All the energy in the entire visible universe may have existed in a very small space but when you have that much energy in one area the definitions of dimensions change from our Euclidean view. The universe, from what I am told, would have been highly curved.

2 the term "singular matter" does not make sense. Do you mean a singularity? If so no need to talk about a pin's head because that is infinitely larger then the singularity. Also even at this point there was no matter. It was some type of energy.

I suspect the real explanations won't satisfy you. We don't know why the universe suddenly expanded and I'm not sure how appropriate me using a term like "suddenly" actually is when there might have been no concept of time as we view it in the first place.

There are lots of hypothesis about what may have happened. 2 branes colliding together in a higher order multi-verse is just one but I don't know if it has any real predictive power at this point. In the future we might find ourselves with more evidence that would lean us more in one direction then another but if you talk about causes out side of our universe then we are pretty much in the realm of speculation that could never be proved even if true. If we learn to see into a higher order dimension then said higher order dimension will become part of our universe by definition since the universe is everything. We may have to come up with a new term to cover just what the universe applies to now.