PDA

View Full Version : Other books in the series

Space guy
2004-Mar-22, 11:49 PM
I just finished reading Bad Astronomy and really enjoyed it. It was both entertaining and informative. I was wondering if anyone has read any of the other books in the series and if so, How are they? Are they worth seeking out?
Thanks in advance

Psi-less
2004-Mar-23, 01:20 PM
I've read the "Bad Medicine" book by Christopher Wanjek. It was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the BA's book. I think it was because the author's tone came across (to me, anyway) as more angry. It's certainly understandable--making stupid medical choices can make you dead. The less dispassionate tone, though, made it seem more of a personal attack (again, that's just my personal feeling). There was a lot of good info in it and a number of woo-woo medical ideas I wasn't familiar with, so it was well-worth the read. Sorry about all of the asides, but I'd hate to dissuade someone from reading a book that they might enjoy. Are there any others out in the series yet?

Psi-less

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Mar-24, 10:27 PM
Wiley and Sons dropped the series after Chris's book. We had "Bad Weather" and "Bad Earth Science", but Wiley decided they weren't selling well enough, among other things.

Space guy
2004-Mar-25, 03:46 AM
Wiley and Sons dropped the series after Chris's book. We had "Bad Weather" and "Bad Earth Science", but Wiley decided they weren't selling well enough, among other things.

Sorry to hear that. :( It's always difficult to find science books that are both accurate and written for us laypersons.

Psi-less
2004-Mar-25, 03:02 PM

It's a pity that the series was dropped. :( And it's somewhat shameful that if you print a "woo-woo" book you're almost guaranteed massive sales, but not if it's a book with some common sense. Maybe Prometheus Books would be interested in picking up the line if Wiley has dropped it.

Psi-less

Brady Yoon
2004-Mar-31, 08:26 AM
Is it still possible to get a copy somewhere?

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Mar-31, 10:47 PM
Is it still possible to get a copy somewhere?

Why, yes. Yes, it is (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/047143499X/qid=1036736364/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-2275958-9778552/badastronomy).

Psi-less
2004-Apr-01, 12:45 AM
The scary part is I have six of the books listed at the bottom of the page in the "You may also be interested...." section! :oops:

Psi-less

Merat
2004-May-24, 10:46 PM
No, the scary part is that it says this on the Bad Astronomy amazon page...

"1 person recommended What Happened on the Moon: Hoax, Lies and Videotape instead of Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax""

Yes, people, run! Run, I tell you! Run from the truth about space! RUN!

PhantomWolf
2004-May-25, 07:14 AM
No, the scary part is that it says this on the Bad Astronomy amazon page...

"1 person recommended What Happened on the Moon: Hoax, Lies and Videotape instead of Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax""

Yes, people, run! Run, I tell you! Run from the truth about space! RUN!

Probably Bart Sibrel.

Brady Yoon
2004-May-30, 01:14 AM
Can you still get Bad Weather and Bad Earth Science?

milli360
2004-May-30, 07:27 PM
Can you still get Bad Weather and Bad Earth Science?
I don't think they were ever written, were they? I thought the series was dropped after Bad Medicine.

You can always go to the Bad Meteorology website.

paulie jay
2004-Jun-02, 06:39 AM
I quite enjoyed Bad Medicine. I didn't find it as "meaty" as Bad Astronomy, but I did actually like it's barbs and jabs.

Although they aren't part of the series, I can also recommend Voodoo Science by Robert Park and Telling Lies For God by Ian Plimer.