PDA

View Full Version : Bad NASA on the JWST Site??

Patrator
2004-Mar-23, 12:25 PM
Is this (http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/QuestionOfTheWeek/2003/2003-11-07.html) a bad answer?

To the layman, it makes it sound like Dyson Spheres are out there waiting to be discovered.

Doesn't it simply provide fuel for the conspiracy theorists?

If not, then I (and no doubt, Rick Sobie) look forward to the first pictures of a Dyson Sphere...actually the second pictures in Rick's case.

ToSeek
2004-Mar-23, 02:41 PM
To the layman, it makes it sound like Dyson Spheres are out there waiting to be discovered.

It doesn't read that way to me.

R.A.F.
2004-Mar-23, 02:46 PM
The 3rd paragraph does label the article as a "thought experiment".

Patrator
2004-Mar-23, 05:32 PM
Perhaps I wasn't absolutely clear about the point I was trying to make.

The link was emailed to me by a friend of mine who commented, "So NASA think there may be Dyson Spheres out there..."
He is, by the way a semi-HB having seen the imfamous Fox News Video and been taken in by it. I have over a period of time managed to successfully debunk most of his arguments but, he still hangs on to a few and simply won't believe my explanations (e.g. no stars in background, Van Allen belt radiation). Having said that he is not a 'nut', he's simply trying to understand the science.

My point therefore, is that this type of statement can be latched onto by the, let's just say, 'Against the Mainstream' community. Case in point this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12013).

I personally would have begun the answer to the question posed, "Dyson Spheres are not known to exist but if they did..."

It doesn't read that way to me.
With respect ToSeek, having read many of your posts, you do not qualify as a Layman. It read OK to me as well.

HAVOC451
2004-Mar-23, 06:17 PM
How would one find a Dyson sphere's star when that star is within the Dyson sphere?

AstroSmurf
2004-Mar-23, 06:23 PM
It would still emit the same energy, only in the IR.

logicboy
2004-Mar-25, 05:26 PM
How would one find a Dyson sphere's star when that star is within the Dyson sphere?

I agree thatís a bogus thought experiment.
A true Dyson sphere would be completly covering the Star.