PDA

View Full Version : Successfully dissertating...

parejkoj
2010-Jun-07, 10:10 PM
I would like to go on record, in case there were any doubts as to the feasibility of this endeavor, as noting that I now have proof positive that it is possible to acquire a doctoral degree in astrophysics.

;)

(details forthcoming, once I get the talk video cleaned up and uploaded somewhere.)

Cougar
2010-Jun-07, 11:12 PM
I now have proof positive that it is possible to acquire a doctoral degree in astrophysics.

I expect you mean personal proof, in which case I believe major congratulations are in order. Beyond well done!

danscope
2010-Jun-07, 11:54 PM
Hi, Congratulations indeed! Tell us: How much does it cost?

John Jaksich
2010-Jun-08, 12:13 AM
A hearty congratulations are definitely in order!

slang
2010-Jun-08, 12:17 AM
Congrats, parejkoj! Don't forget about us now that you're about to go into the real world of science 'n all that 'n stuff! :)

*struggles to hold down remark about anecdotal evidence*

parejkoj
2010-Jun-08, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the congratulations. I'm finally getting a chance to breath again, and it's nice to browse BAUT without feeling overly guilty.

I expect you mean personal proof, in which case I believe major congratulations are in order. Beyond well done!

Fine...

"... personal proof positive ..."

Better?

;-)

Tell us: How much does it cost?

In time, or money?

~6 years to the first one, and they paid me (a little) for work (teaching assistantship the first year and a bit, half research assistantship, half NASA outreach grant the next three years, research assistantship the final two years) to the second one.

Or are we counting undergraduate as well? That would change things a bit.

Congrats, parejkoj! Don't forget about us now that you're about to go into the real world of science 'n all that 'n stuff! :)

No worries, it's not that different from the "not quite real world of science" that I've been in so far. ;-)

Actually, I'll be doing many of the same things that I have been doing so far, just being paid more for them. And doing more things in addition.

*struggles to hold down remark about anecdotal evidence*

Shush, you!

Although I did start my talk with a parenthetical about correlation and causation (http://xkcd.com/552/), I'm going to claim that there was a measurable cause and effect here, even though the sample size is 1 (two actually, considering the excellent defense by a colleague earlier in the week).

Jerry
2010-Jun-08, 01:32 AM
Nice work parejkoj!

It is going to be a banner half century for astrophysics, and you get to be a major player!

It is nice to know you still plan to share your time and talents with the board!

BigDon
2010-Jun-08, 01:51 AM
Aw man! Everybody else already said all the good stuff! Well congrats to you sir.

What was the dissertation on? A friend of mine's phD dissertation was on "protein metabolism during pregnancy". (Not an astrophysicist.)

grapes
2010-Jun-08, 01:55 AM
'Grats!

**sniff** our abusee (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/62578-5th-Annual-Astronomy-Challenge-announcement?p=1042918#post1042918)is being graduated...

parejkoj
2010-Jun-08, 03:37 AM
What was the dissertation on?

"Hosts and Environments of Low Luminosity Active Galaxies in the Local Universe: The Care and Feeding of Weak AGN"

I'll post a link to the first chapter of the thesis here eventually.

danscope
2010-Jun-08, 04:09 AM
Once again, congratulations. You know, that fiddle is going to sound just a little bit sweeter now. :)
Best regards, Dan

tusenfem
2010-Jun-08, 07:04 AM
Well done parejkoj
(I think I can do this in moderator mode)

parejkoj
2010-Jun-08, 10:32 AM
You know, that fiddle is going to sound just a little bit sweeter now.

Once I start practicing consistently again...

Nereid
2010-Jun-08, 12:21 PM
"Hosts and Environments of Low Luminosity Active Galaxies: The Care and Feeding of Weak AGN"

Congratulations parejkoj!

Will you be publishing some papers, based on your thesis? Looking forward to reading them.

Swift
2010-Jun-08, 12:52 PM
"Hosts and Environments of Low Luminosity Active Galaxies: The Care and Feeding of Weak AGN"

Nice title. Congrats.

Hungry4info
2010-Jun-08, 03:02 PM
Congratulations :D!!

parejkoj
2010-Jun-08, 04:55 PM
Thanks again for all the congratulations.

Will you be publishing some papers, based on your thesis?

Yup. That's all in the works. And that's why I'm delaying posting the thesis/talk details for a bit.

ngc3314
2010-Jun-08, 05:27 PM

(Cheering noises) Low-luminosity AGN need love too!

And major congratulations!

(If iI think really hard, I can remember how you feel. Right down to the topic).

Squink
2010-Jun-08, 06:50 PM
Anthropogenic Galactic Nuclei?

I feel I'm close, but not quite there.

Congrats parejkoj. I was just wondering aloud yesterday whether dissertating had gotten tougher in the age of the internet. Does it truly constitute the horrible distraction I think it might have for me?

parejkoj
2010-Jun-08, 08:41 PM
Squink:

Yes. Oh god, yes.

BigDon
2010-Jun-08, 11:06 PM
I know it's relative to other AGN's, but AGN and "low luminosity" seem like oxymorons in the same sentence...

Torsten
2010-Jun-08, 11:17 PM
Joining the chorus: Congratulations parejkoj!

Tobin Dax
2010-Jun-09, 06:36 AM
In time, or money?

~6 years to the first one, and they paid me (a little) for work (teaching assistantship the first year and a bit, half research assistantship, half NASA outreach grant the next three years, research assistantship the final two years) to the second one.

Or are we counting undergraduate as well? That would change things a bit.

No mention of the emotional trauma? Good. It's probably to forget that. ;)

Congratulations, parejkoj, and nice title.

Ari Jokimaki
2010-Jun-10, 04:20 AM
Congratulations, parejkoj! :)

I'm looking forward to reading your work.

RGClark
2010-Jun-24, 11:49 AM
I would like to go on record, in case there were any doubts as to the feasibility of this endeavor, as noting that I now have proof positive that it is possible to acquire a doctoral degree in astrophysics.
;)
(details forthcoming, once I get the talk video cleaned up and uploaded somewhere.)

Congrats, bud. What's the subfield you work in?

Bob Clark

Roger E. Moore
2010-Jun-24, 07:24 PM
I started college in astronomy and ended up with a Masters in psychology. Congratulations on making it to the finish line.

parejkoj
2010-Jun-25, 06:23 PM
Congrats, bud. What's the subfield you work in?

I thought the title of the thesis (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/104708-Successfully-dissertating...?p=1742533#post1742533) made it reasonably clear, but if not: I study moderately accreting supermassive black holes in the relatively local universe (out to z~0.1). "Low Luminosity Active Galaxies" which are like quasars, but smaller and weaker. Usually...

Given my current postdoc, though, I'm going to be pushing that to higher redshifts.

parejkoj
2010-Jun-25, 06:24 PM
I started college in astronomy and ended up with a Masters in psychology. Congratulations on making it to the finish line.

Finish line? You're suggesting I'm done?

It never ends!