PDA

View Full Version : Bad? Astronomy in The Truman Show

countrywideoptionone
2004-Mar-23, 05:20 PM
Watching The Truman Show, I first noticed that while Truman and his drinking buddy were watching a sunset, the full moon was in the same portion of the sky as the sun. That seemed odd, but then the moon in Truman's world is always in the same place in the sky. Sort of in GeoTrumanSynchronous Orbit. I also assume that it is always a full moon regardless of its position in the sky compared to the sun's. Given that everything is a set and the moon is really an observation office, I guess it's not really BA, but only the appearance there of.

edit:
Almost forgot. The movie also says that the Truman set is now one of only 2 man made structures that can be see from space. The other being the Great Wall of China, which in another thread here http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11980 we weren't sure if that is correct either.

SciFi Chick
2004-Mar-23, 10:23 PM
And why would you be able to see the Truman set from space? I mean, how big is it? :o

2004-Mar-23, 10:34 PM
Pretty big. Like the size of a small city IIRC.

Yumblie
2004-Mar-24, 06:35 AM

You can't even see a big city from space. Still, it's not exactly a science oriented movie, so it's not that important.

jokergirl
2004-Mar-24, 07:26 AM

You can't even see a big city from space. Still, it's not exactly a science oriented movie, so it's not that important.

Well, as they show it it's a huge white cupola. Maybe it reflects light quite well?

;)