PDA

View Full Version : Towards a Unified Theory

sirjon
2010-Jun-11, 08:23 AM
What are the new developments in science today, particularly in physics and cosmology (astronomy)? Are we getting closer in achieving our dream of a unified theory as Einstein dreamed? Are quarks still the most fundamental or elementary particles known in quantum physics or are there are evidences that they are made of smaller particles? Hope to up-date us with new progress in science today. Thanks a lot.

kevin1981
2010-Jun-11, 08:50 AM
I would like to know these answers too. Also where do Hadrons and Leptons come from.

astromark
2010-Jun-11, 09:19 AM
Unfortunately. That all encompassing unified theory does seem to be unable to be condensed into simple quarks or leptons, or even hadrons...

The problem with modern scientific principals is just that. With every new piece of the puzzle the questions get more complex.

There is no simple answer to the unified theory question. It looks further away than ever. Yet we know so much more... its less. :eh:

sirjon
2010-Jun-11, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately. That all encompassing unified theory does seem to be unable to be condensed into simple quarks or leptons, or even hadrons...

The problem with modern scientific principals is just that. With every new piece of the puzzle the questions get more complex.

There is no simple answer to the unified theory question. It looks further away than ever. Yet we know so much more... its less. :eh:

I agree. Before we thought an atom only consist of electrons, protons and neutron...now there are six flavors of quarks, leptons and many more...As we get wiser, the universe we know is getting complex...too far 'towards a unified theory'?

Shaula
2010-Jun-11, 02:48 PM
You are missing out a phase. We knew about electron and nucleons, then we found muons, neutrinos, exotic hadrons and so on. The quark model actually considerably simplified the particle zoo. It certainly hasn't been a long slide towards ever increasing complexity.

Ken G
2010-Jun-11, 04:49 PM
What are the new developments in science today, particularly in physics and cosmology (astronomy)? Are we getting closer in achieving our dream of a unified theory as Einstein dreamed? Are quarks still the most fundamental or elementary particles known in quantum physics or are there are evidences that they are made of smaller particles? Hope to up-date us with new progress in science today.That question is so close to the frontier that you'd really have to pose it to an expert particle physicist. I can only say that there is both theoretical promise (string theory often comes up in that context) and experimental promise (the LHC at CERN often comes up in that context) that new discoveries will be made that move us toward unification (and additional particles that improve the overall symmetry of the situation, called "supersymmetry"), but nobody really knows at this point how it will all shake out. It is known that the "standard model" of particle physics has cracks and probably cannot be completely correct, but just what will replace it, and when, is still up in the air. Personally, I'm probably looking at about a 30-40 year timeframe (tops) for seeing how this all shakes out, and I really don't know if that's going to be enough time to get to the next big discovery.

CaptainToonces
2010-Jun-12, 06:45 AM
Are we getting closer in achieving our dream of a unified theory as Einstein dreamed?
My personal feeling is that it's a nice goal for motivational purposes but will never be attained. It seems as we consider the most basic particles they are less like ball-bearings and more like balls of unknown or random essence; less like perfect spheres and more like planets with unpredictable topography. There are great discoveries to be made always, and we may be able to better unify the current theories, like the apparent discrepancy with gravity and quantum mechanics, but there will probably never be a theory that unites all forces as that gets into causality issues much like backwards time travel.

Sir Knots A Lot
2010-Jun-12, 07:20 PM
I like string theory as a concept, but feel that it falls short in the physical modelling.

antoniseb
2010-Jun-12, 07:35 PM
... Are we getting closer in achieving our dream of a unified theory as Einstein dreamed? ...

Yes, we are getting closer. We are collecting new, more detailed data. We are trying out various models and rejecting some. Technically, that is getting closer. While I can't say exactly how long it will take to create a Grand Unified Theory, I'm pretty sure that the equipment required to make serious confirming evidence is still a Century or more away, so don't hold your breath waiting.

Cougar
2010-Jun-13, 12:57 AM
What are the new developments in science today, particularly in physics and cosmology (astronomy)?

That covers a lot of territory. How 'new' do you mean?

Are we getting closer in achieving our dream of a unified theory as Einstein dreamed?

Einstein's unification apparently only involved gravity and electromagnetism.

Of course, GR and QM still have irreconcilable differences. :sad:

Einstein's unified theory is a lot different than the Grand Unified Theories that are of interest 'today'. There has already been a lot of work done on these, but no major 'revolutions' lately. Darn protons just fail to decay, or at least they don't let us notice.

caveman1917
2010-Jun-13, 01:46 AM
Darn protons just fail to decay, or at least they don't let us notice.
(my bold)

I sense a new conspiracy theory coming :)

Cougar
2010-Jun-13, 01:05 PM
I sense a new conspiracy theory coming :)

Or even a new book: The Proton Conspiracy.

astromark
2010-Jun-14, 03:43 AM
After doing a little more research I have concluded that to expect to be able to find a unified theory is unrealistic.
Nature does not do the simple and expected. Random probability is part of the natural processes of this universe.
" I do not like that idea." Does not make it wrong.
Yes I was looking at Feynman and Hawking. They seem to know a thing or two about all this...