PDA

View Full Version : Forum slows down and freezes?

captain swoop
2010-Jun-13, 03:29 PM
When I am browsing and posting on BAUT over the course of half an hour or so it slows down my browser to the point it can freeze. Also using the quick reply box (but not the 'post new thread' it seems) I experience a longer and longer delay between hitting the keys and the text appearing on the scree.
I have dumped my cookies and started from scratch.
This is on my Laptop with Explorer 8 in Xp Pro.
I don't have the problem on my mac with Safari.
Any ideas?

John Jaksich
2010-Jun-13, 03:39 PM
I have also experienced problems with the Microsoft O/S --browser combo---XP-(32 bit) IE explorer

I can cite where I don't have problems:

O/S
Linux: Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian---

Browsers:

Firefox, Chrome, Konquerer, (Debian's lite version of Mozilla Firefox)

captain swoop
2010-Jun-13, 04:28 PM
It's just BAUT that does it. I am ok on other forums.

Luckmeister
2010-Jun-13, 05:16 PM
Have you tried deleting your temporary internet files?

captain swoop
2010-Jun-13, 06:49 PM
yup

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jun-13, 07:13 PM
Have you tried watching the memory consumption of IE to see if it's correlated with out of control memory use?
Could be the heavy JavaScript use triggers a memory leak or inefficient garbage collection in IE.

captain swoop
2010-Jun-13, 07:31 PM
True, but why only BAUT and not JREF or the other two I frequent?

I will just have to use the Mac for BAUT I suppose.

captain swoop
2010-Jun-13, 07:32 PM
Now, there's a strange thing. When I just typed and sent a reply with Task Manager in the foreground there was no delay.
How strange.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-03, 08:23 PM
There's just been a cluster of site unavailable events, like it is repeatedly moving between hosting nodes.
It started about 40 minutes ago and is still ongoing.

Van Rijn
2010-Jul-03, 08:41 PM
There's just been a cluster of site unavailable events, like it is repeatedly moving between hosting nodes.
It started about 40 minutes ago and is still ongoing.

I was getting a bit of that yesterday, but it's worse today.

LotusExcelle
2010-Jul-03, 08:52 PM
Just experienced the same issue. A few days ago it was doing the same thing but I assumed it was maintenance.

Swift
2010-Jul-03, 09:15 PM
Ditto

Fazor
2010-Dec-13, 07:11 PM
Reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one

I've been experiencing very slow response times and server time-outs today with BAUT. Something up with the server? Anyone else experiencing this? I've tried from my cell phone as well, just to see if it's on my ISP side of things, but the cell phone timed out as well.

gzhpcu
2010-Dec-13, 07:31 PM
Same here.... very slow response times and time outs....

Moose
2010-Dec-13, 07:35 PM
I wonder if the wikileaks-related retaliatory hacktivism is hitting something nearby? Either way, it'll pass soon enough, I'm sure.

Gillianren
2010-Dec-13, 08:05 PM
I've been having the problem all morning myself. I just figure it'll get better. I did check if it was just BAUT or other sites, though.

Fazor
2010-Dec-13, 08:21 PM
The only reason I bothered to bring it up is because I was having a lot of trouble even posting anything. Seems to be improving now though.

Swift
2010-Dec-14, 03:53 PM
It currently seems slow to me, and I'm at work (high-speed connection) and no other websites seem particularly slow

slang
2010-Dec-14, 04:20 PM
Yeah, here too, erratic loading times. Sometimes it takes quite a while to get a page, and then it's fast again for the next. Might be some network congestion issue somewhere.

Trakar
2010-Dec-14, 04:28 PM
It's just BAUT that does it. I am ok on other forums.

Yes, it is BAUT, not your browser. I can open new windows nearly instantly and zip around the web every where but here and JREF.
Seems to be primarily a page loading problem and only happens in the mornings (at least for me).

Trakar
2010-Dec-14, 04:41 PM
Yeah, here too, erratic loading times. Sometimes it takes quite a while to get a page, and then it's fast again for the next. Might be some network congestion issue somewhere.

Agreed, and the issue isn't near as bad or regular on JREF for me, but it is a bit frustrating that the only two places I'm likely to hit early in the morning bog down. I guess I'm going to have to rearrange my schedule a bit.

kleindoofy
2010-Dec-14, 08:59 PM
A little hail in the cloud, I presume.

R.A.F.
2010-Dec-17, 06:11 PM
Had the same problem for the past 3 days...only in the morning (pacific time)...it's a real pain in the kiester.

Trakar
2010-Dec-17, 07:08 PM
Had the same problem for the past 3 days...only in the morning (pacific time)...it's a real pain in the kiester.

yeah, frustrating, I just rearranged my visit times rather than deal with it.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2010-Dec-20, 11:33 PM
Now it's happening for me at a different time—late afternoon/early evening CST. No timeouts yet, but it's taking just under a minute to fetch every page.

R.A.F.
2010-Dec-21, 12:32 AM
Yeah...my last post took about 45 minutes from pressing "submit" until actually appearing on the board.

I checked other sites with less "volume"...they loaded INSTANTLY.

Time for a better server??

Swift
2010-Dec-21, 02:07 AM
I'm having problems now too. Though it is a little better than it was 15 minutes ago.

Luckmeister
2010-Dec-21, 02:50 AM
I'm having problems now too. Though it is a little better than it was 15 minutes ago.

I find it ironic that getting this thread to open just took me longer than 10 minutes. It's like trying to tell the phone company your phone isn't working. :lol:

Jim
2010-Dec-21, 03:06 AM
I've been having intermittent problems all evening with the server timing out.

Solfe
2010-Dec-21, 03:55 AM
Whew, I thought it was all the streaming netflix I have been watching killing my internet connection. :)

a1call
2010-Dec-21, 04:29 AM
If the domain is hosted on a shared server, I suggest a change of host rather than a migration with the same host. I have been through similar issues due to neighboring domains over using the CPU (a number of times, even on expensive "virtual private servers"). When a host starts hosting thousands of domains on a server, there is nothing that can be done to resolve the issue other than pack up and move to another host. I am currently using hostmonster and am very satisfied (for now).

tommac
2010-Dec-21, 02:53 PM
Again ... I would offer to host Baut on my server which will provide better performance and also take care of all of the upgrades etc ... if you are interested PM me.

NEOWatcher
2010-Dec-21, 02:56 PM
Why tell us (the Baut community)? We don't make that decision, Fraser does.

CJSF
2010-Dec-21, 03:41 PM
No offense, tommac, but just given the top link in your signature, I'd as soon we didn't.

CJSF

BigDon
2010-Dec-21, 05:46 PM
At 11:45 AM or so yesterday the board became unusable. Stayed that way until about 8 o'clock, the last time I tried to get back in.

a1call
2010-Dec-21, 05:50 PM
I have considered hosting domains on my server. I have setup many servers capable of doing so in freebsd, windows and ubuntu. It is surprisingly easy to setup. But I have decided it's not worth the hassle of maintenance. It's much more practical to pay a professional host for all the extras.

Gillianren
2010-Dec-21, 06:46 PM
Well, it's doing better right now for me. A little slow, but not as bad as it's been the last few days. Maybe it's started celebrating early and isn't interested in being a good server until after the holidays?

Fazor
2010-Dec-21, 07:08 PM
Mine's working fine now during the day (or, rather, has been since yesterday) but in the evenings when I attempt to log in from home, I've been unable to even access the page. Not that I generally have much to say at night anyway.

astromark
2010-Dec-21, 09:00 PM
At a local level. I found it was my grandchildren that changed settings and added countless music files and film downloads...

OH Dear me... My connectivity seemed to have turned to dial up pace... and then I 'Cleaned it out.' BINGO ! all is well.

My broadband connection via a Ethernet cable is faultless... One of the major players in this country does provide a good service.

Thankyou 'telecom'. As for this server. Yes I have noted a slight slowness recently.

Its seconds and I can live with it... am I the lucky one or what ?

Trakar
2010-Dec-22, 05:14 AM
I've mainly just switched my times around for visiting the site, closer to noon (Pacific Standard), and later evenings (9-11). Signed a bit earlier yesterday (~10am PST) and ran into the problem reading the first two posts and then it cleared up completely. Seems like the overall speed is a little slower compared to other similar sites, but when it's doing whatever this is, it drops down to a minute or so to load a page and much worse if you try to open multiple site links at the same time.

forrest noble
2010-Dec-22, 06:07 AM
yeah,

Today was a good day for me concerning BAUT. But until today intermittent problems the past week concerning very slow loading.

slang
2010-Dec-22, 11:41 AM
Again ... I would offer to host Baut on my server which will provide better performance and also take care of all of the upgrades etc ... if you are interested PM me.

While this is a generous offer, I'm not sure if I'd like any member other than Fraser and perhaps one or two he trusts to have direct access to the database, with all the privacy sensitive info therein, like PM's and personal information.

Also, I wonder if you have estimated (or asked about) the amount of hits and data traffic that BAUT generates. While your forum seems responsive enough under its current load, it may not do so well (or cost more) when it has to handle the hits that BAUT gets. (But of course that's hard to say without knowing anything about the hosting you have.)

Trakar
2010-Dec-22, 05:31 PM
Just checking a bit earlier than I have been, seems to be working fine this morning.

BetaDust
2010-Dec-22, 06:21 PM
Fraser did move BAUT forum from Rackspace to Amazon last month...:think:

Moving servers... again (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/109559-Moving-servers...-again)

by Fraser (http://www.bautforum.com/forumdisplay.php/member.php/2306-Fraser), 17-November-2010 06:04 PM
Hey everyone, I know everything seems to be working well, but I'm getting killed in server fees from Rackspace. So I'm going to be moving the forum to a new location - joining Universe Today in the Amazon EC2 cloud.

--Dennis

Moose
2010-Dec-22, 08:36 PM
Ah, yes, that would indeed explain it. We were relatively near that DDoS attack, and were catching the edge of it.

Swift
2010-Dec-23, 02:16 AM
It was bad about an hour or so ago, I couldn't even get on without timeout errors. I don't think the DDoS attack on Amazon is still going on.

Trakar
2010-Dec-23, 04:09 AM
Ah, yes, that would indeed explain it. We were relatively near that DDoS attack, and were catching the edge of it.

But the problems started before the attacks, did they not? It might well explain why they got so bad for a while there. I wonder if there is a graph anywhere of Amazon's peak access times? I'd be curious to see how well it matches up to our slow down times.

Moose
2010-Dec-23, 08:20 AM
Hmm. Late evening on a week day...

slang
2010-Dec-23, 10:09 AM
Even though 01101001 doesn't participate here right now (booo!), he still has bautbot (http://www.01101001.com/bautbot) running. The output might give some insight to Fraser or hosting.

Watching page http://www.bautforum.com
Reporting instances of rendering taking more than 10 seconds
[...]

andyschlei
2010-Dec-23, 04:02 PM
Fraser moved the board to Amazon cloud services last month. In theory, that would provide essentially unlimited capacity up to the purchased service level. Perhaps we are just hitting the limit?

gzhpcu
2010-Dec-23, 04:14 PM
THe forum is soo sloooowww.... :(

Trakar
2010-Dec-23, 05:00 PM
THe forum is soo sloooowww.... :(

interesting, I just stopped in to see if this was an issue today. I don't know if it has resolved over the last hour, but it seems to be working fine for me this morning.

Strange
2010-Dec-23, 05:09 PM
interesting, I just stopped in to see if this was an issue today. I don't know if it has resolved over the last hour, but it seems to be working fine for me this morning.

Yep. It has just speeded up (just before I leave work - typical!)

Len Moran
2010-Dec-23, 05:27 PM
An hour ago (or there about) it was so slow I gave up trying to get in, but now it's back to normal. This has happened at various times and on various days for a week or so now.

BetaDust
2010-Dec-23, 05:27 PM
Yep. It has just speeded up (just before I leave work - typical!)

Maybe people stopped buying Christmas presents from amazon.com servers :)

gzhpcu
2010-Dec-23, 06:34 PM
Smart move tommac....:whistle:

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2010-Dec-25, 07:33 AM
The forum was totally unavailable for me for at least five hours starting at about 5 PM CST. I would just get a "connection closed by remote server" error.

It's working just fine now.

EDIT: Looking at post times on the New Posts page, it seems no one else could connect during that time.

slang
2010-Dec-25, 08:55 AM
EDIT: Looking at post times on the New Posts page, it seems no one else could connect during that time.

That's right. It was the software's way of saying: "Hey nerds, it's Christmas, get away from the screen and go celebrate!". :) And on that note, happy whatever-one-chooses-to-celebrate!

Gillianren
2010-Dec-25, 07:33 PM
Then how come I could be in front of the computer all day Tuesday and any Jewish members we might have for over a week at the beginning of the month?

slang
2010-Dec-25, 09:25 PM
Oh, that's just a little bug, obviously. Or the programmers are horribly biased. At least with the global warming there will be less issues with freezing forums.

Jim
2010-Dec-25, 10:31 PM
I got repeated error messages that the server had timed out yesterday between 8:30-9:00 pm CT. I checked with Amazon to see if that site was having problems and it loaded immediately. I then went back to family doings so I don't know when things cleared up.

kleindoofy
2010-Dec-25, 10:57 PM
... At least with the global warming there will be less issues with freezing forums.
Ah, the classical misunderstanding.

Since global warming represents an average, not an absolute, BAUT could easily freeze over from time to time, even become colder in general, while other forums and websites heat up.

In fact, anybody who has been observing BAUT over the last year or so has probably noticed a slight cooling off, although that drop in active energy has nothing to do with the occasional freezing mentioned in the above posts.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Dec-27, 07:10 PM
Then how come I could be in front of the computer all day Tuesday and any Jewish members we might have for over a week at the beginning of the month?
Because there are fewer of us?

Gillianren
2010-Dec-27, 07:43 PM
That'll be it. Just not as important. [sniff]