PDA

View Full Version : The Bad Astronomy Forums - the boggie man in the newsgroups

William the Conqueror
2002-Apr-18, 09:38 AM
On April 16, a poor Russian guy by the name of Michael Petukhov declared his love to Bart Sibrel in the newsgroup rec.aviation.military .

A few hours later, the poster "Bill Silvey" responds (among other things):

"After you've taken your dry wallpaper-paste bromide or whatever you
impoverished Russians are using as medicine in the ruins of your nation,
point your computer at http://www.badastronomy.com - they'll *love* you in the
forums over there.

Sayonara, you frigging mental case."

URL: http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=BvWu8.214267%24y26.35225001%40typhoon. tampabay.rr.com&output=gplain

OK, dear HBs, look into the mirror and say 5 times: "The Bad Astronomy Forums". After the 5th time, youŽll see Phil and Jay standing behind you ..... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

"William the Conqueror"

Johnno
2002-Apr-18, 09:43 AM
You show him to the barrel while I go get my elephant gun.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-18, 10:58 AM
William the Conqueror, Bill Silvey? Coincidence?

William the Conqueror
2002-Apr-18, 11:25 AM
On 2002-04-18 06:58, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

Probably not ... I vote for it to be a conspiracy ! Obviously there are no such things as coincidences !! Personally I think that "William the Conqueror" is one of them there evil NASA agents !

"William the Conqueror"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: William the Conqueror on 2002-04-18 07:31 ]</font>

Valiant Dancer
2002-Apr-18, 11:53 AM
On 2002-04-18 07:25, William the Conqueror wrote:

On 2002-04-18 06:58, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

Probably not ... I vote for it to be a conspiracy ! Obviously there are no such things as coincidences !! Personally I think that "William the Conqueror" is one of them there evil NASA agents !

"William the Conqueror"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: William the Conqueror on 2002-04-18 07:31 ]</font>

Oh dear. Where did I put my sarcasm shovel?

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he hid Piglet's body

JayUtah
2002-Apr-18, 02:31 PM
OK, dear HBs, look into the mirror and say 5 times: "The Bad Astronomy Forums". After the 5th time, youŽll see Phil and Jay standing behind you ..... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I tried this, but only Jay appeared. Hm.

Johnno
2002-Apr-18, 03:41 PM
"I tried this, but only Jay appeared. Hm."

You're not a HBer in your heart. You have to be a true believer Jay, otherwise you'll only see what you want to see. And according to all the laws regarding mirrors, that's yourself, and any objects behind you.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

CJSF
2002-Apr-18, 04:53 PM
"After you've taken your dry wallpaper-paste bromide or whatever you impoverished Russians are using as medicine in the ruins of your nation,
point your computer at http://www.badastronomy.com - they'll *love* you in the
forums over there.

Sayonara, you frigging mental case."

While I see the underlying message in your message you linked to..... doesn't the above qualify as ad hominem? I mean, just because he's Russian? And what's with the prejudicial "wallpaper paste bromide" remark?

"You Russians?"

No need to attack a people or group because one person is spouting nonsense or has been suckered in by a story.

CJSF

David Hall
2002-Apr-19, 03:27 AM
On 2002-04-18 12:53, Christopher Ferro wrote:
"You Russians?"

No need to attack a people or group because one person is spouting nonsense or has been suckered in by a story.

CJSF

I agree with Christopher. I thought the post was quite rude. Of course, I haven't read the thread itself, so I don't know what the overall climate of the discussion was, but even if mud was being slung everywhere, such (almost racial? Stereotypical at least) attacks are unfounded and tend to hurt the cause of truth. It makes people less likely to look openly at what you have to say.

A polite redirection to this site would have been better in my opinion.

William the Conqueror
2002-Apr-19, 05:33 AM
A polite redirection to this site would have been better in my opinion.

I fully agree. Yet BillŽs post also goes to show that just because you are anti-hoax, it doesnŽt mean that you are always above "flaming".

"William the Conqueror"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: William the Conqueror on 2002-04-19 01:35 ]</font>