PDA

View Full Version : What is out there...?'

p9107
2002-Apr-18, 02:19 PM
Okay, outside our galaxy there is the rest of the universe, but what is outside that? Is it Nothing? There must be something.

also, in star wars, does anyone know why it is "a long time ago..." Shouldn't it be in the future? Maybe it is to do with the parrallel universe theory.

Silas
2002-Apr-18, 02:33 PM
Star Wars is easy: it's a different galaxy, with different life-forms (who just happen to look human) and all of them have either become extinct or become immortal glowing spirit thingies.

As for "outside" the universe... Tricky... There is at least some reason to suspect it's a four-dimensional closed-surface... There isn't any outside: if you go in one direction for long enough, you come back to your starting point from the opposite direction...

(Personally, I favor the "expansionary phase" Big Bang model, which says that our "universe" is just one zone inside a much larger cosmos -- sort of as of we're microbes inhabiting one leaf of a very large tree. Science has a positive genius for making us seem insignificant, eh?)

Silas

Wiley
2002-Apr-18, 02:55 PM
On 2002-04-18 10:19, p9107 wrote:
also, in star wars, does anyone know why it is "a long time ago..." Shouldn't it be in the future? Maybe it is to do with the parrallel universe theory.

Remember, depending on which galaxy Star Wars took place, the light would take at least a million years to reach us (Andromeda is 730 kpc from us). So when George Lucus first received the documentary, he knew it had to be at least a million years old; hence "a long time ago..."

p9107
2002-Apr-19, 08:06 AM
On 2002-04-18 10:33, Silas wrote:
Star Wars is easy: it's a different galaxy, with different life-forms (who just happen to look human) and all of them have either become extinct or become immortal glowing spirit thingies.

You forgot to mention that they just happen to talk english as well (or is that just for ease of viewing?)

p9107
2002-Apr-19, 08:06 AM
On 2002-04-18 10:33, Silas wrote:

You forgot to mention that they just happen to talk english as well (or is that just for ease of viewing?)

Firefox
2002-Apr-19, 11:27 AM
I'd say the English was for the audience. Keep in mind that in all the movies, sans A New Hope, that the text was not in English (I believe it's called Aurabesh.) Why it was English in ANH, I believe was because those higher than Lucas wanted it that way, to make it easier on the audience.

-Adam

odysseus0101
2002-Apr-19, 12:45 PM
On 2002-04-19 07:27, Firefox wrote:
I'd say the English was for the audience.

Yes, the films were translated into English for ease of viewing. The translations are not perfect, though, as evidenced, for example, by the translators' use of the term 'parsec' as a unit of speed.

DJ
2002-Apr-19, 03:25 PM
It looks like a donut.

DJ

Kizarvexis
2002-Apr-21, 02:25 AM
On 2002-04-19 11:25, DJ wrote:
It looks like a donut.

DJ

With or without sprinkles?

Kizarvexis
Sorry, couldn't resist. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif