PDA

View Full Version : Comet question for SF story

Paul Beardsley
2004-Mar-26, 11:46 AM
I need to check some astronomical facts for a short SF story I am working on. It has been commissioned, and I have to get it written before the end of April.

An important plot element is the appearance of the comets Hyakatake and Hale-Bopp in (IIRC) 1996 and 1997 respectively. What I need to know is a) have I spelt their names correctly? and b) at what times of the two years were they clearly visible to the naked eye?

Thanks in advance
Paul

JohnOwens
2004-Mar-26, 11:58 AM
I need to check some astronomical facts for a short SF story I am working on. It has been commissioned, and I have to get it written before the end of April.

An important plot element is the appearance of the comets Hyakatake and Hale-Bopp in (IIRC) 1996 and 1997 respectively. What I need to know is a) have I spelt their names correctly? and b) at what times of the two years were they clearly visible to the naked eye?

Thanks in advance
Paul
The spelling of the first is "Comet Hyakutake", and you've spelled Hale-Bopp correctly. I know Hale-Bopp was clearly visible in the dawn sky around April of 1997 in the northern hemisphere, around 5:30-6:30 AM.

glen chapman
2004-Mar-26, 12:09 PM
Try this link..Will give you dates...what was visible...and where in the sky. Also has enough jargon for your story

http://encke.jpl.nasa.gov/bright_comet.html

Glen Chapman

Paul Beardsley
2004-Mar-26, 12:45 PM
Thanks Glen and John, that's useful stuff.

I'll let you know when the story is published.

Paul