PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman changes her looks

NEOWatcher
2010-Jun-30, 07:36 PM
DC Comics gives Wonder Woman a makeover (http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/uploads/JuanJoseColinArciniega/2007-10-11_165402_fat_wonder_woman.jpg)

Wonder Woman is getting a makeover at the age of 69
The edgier outfit will be unveiled in issue No. 600 of "Wonder Woman," which hits stands today.

Ok; now that I gave you an image that's going to be hard to get rid of, here's the real article.
DC Comics gives Wonder Woman a makeover (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/30/dc-comics-gives-wonder-woman-a-makeover/?hpt=C2)

Not that I'm complaining, but I see nothing wrong with the old outfit that they couldn't have modified for today.
Change the cut and style of the shorts (tighter, higher cut leg), and change the style or cut of the top, and it still fit's today's image.
I think they're just trying to tone down the patriotic look for an international market.

Buttercup
2010-Jun-30, 07:42 PM
Saw that article about an hour ago. Someone commented "She looks like a Goth chick."

I'll admit I prefer the original "look." How was that outdated? It was original.

And why does a female superhero character need a makeover? If I were going to "elect" anyone in need of a makeover, it'd be Robin of Batman fame. :-p

Will they change Spiderman's costume? I hope not! Again, it's original...even Robin's goofy getup.

I think they're just trying to tone down the patriotic look for an international market.

A pity. I'm not ashamed of my nationality. I'd say more, but we're not supposed to discuss politics...

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jun-30, 07:46 PM
I like the old version better.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_m5fcNaPN3_Y/SktIz05clKI/AAAAAAAAADo/-BRLhs6sBm0/s400/WonderBones.jpg

Noclevername
2010-Jun-30, 08:00 PM
I predict this "new look" will last about as long as Superman's "new powers (http://theages.superman.nu/encyc/entries/index.php?entry=energy)".

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jun-30, 08:00 PM
And why does a female superhero character need a makeover? If I were going to "elect" anyone in need of a makeover, it'd be Robin of Batman fame. :-p
Part of the reason for not changing Robin's look is that there has been so many different Robin's (Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown[Yes, female], Damian Wayne) that the mostly static costume was needed to provide continuity.

You could consider Dick Grayson's switch from being Robin to being Nightwing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nightwing_v1_1.jpg) as a makeover. In that case the answer is that he already got one.

Moose
2010-Jun-30, 08:23 PM
Saw that article about an hour ago. Someone commented "She looks like a Goth chick."

Geez, a makeover of a female superhero character that involves more clothing and not (far) less. Amazing. I approve, if only for the novelty. (Seriously, that's pretty good.)

Doodler
2010-Jun-30, 08:29 PM
DC Comics gives Wonder Woman a makeover (http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/uploads/JuanJoseColinArciniega/2007-10-11_165402_fat_wonder_woman.jpg)

A plague upon your house... (http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/20/633495987683532308-what-has-been-seen.jpg)

NEOWatcher
2010-Jun-30, 08:31 PM
... Someone commented "She looks like a Goth chick." ...
I'm not sure I'd go with Goth, but it does make her look like any other spy-chick rather than a superhero.

Buttercup
2010-Jun-30, 08:36 PM
Geez, a makeover of a female superhero character that involves more clothing and not (far) less. Amazing. I approve, if only for the novelty. (Seriously, that's pretty good.)

:eh: That's a good point.

parallaxicality
2010-Jun-30, 08:39 PM

Robin's already had several makeovers. Indeed if I'm reading Wikipedia right he's currently a sociopathic trained assassin with superhuman abilities.

Will they change Spiderman's costume? I hope not! Again, it's original...even Robin's goofy getup.

Spiderman's costume has changed several times. Including to the black costume that became Venom.

A pity. I'm not ashamed of my nationality. I'd say more, but we're not supposed to discuss politics...[/QUOTE]

Buttercup
2010-Jun-30, 08:53 PM
Oh. :shifty:

Well it's easy to see I don't keep up with comic book characters, lol! ;)

Not "said" snidely, btw. Spiderman would be my favorite.

korjik
2010-Jun-30, 09:00 PM
Should work almost as well as new Coke

Jim
2010-Jul-01, 12:41 AM
I keep trying to picture Linda Carter in that new costume.
. .
. . .
Nope, ain't workin'

DonM435
2010-Jul-01, 12:56 AM
I keep trying to picture Linda Carter in that new costume.
. .
. . .
Nope, ain't workin'

Now, how can anyone improve upon the one you showed us?

Spoons
2010-Jul-01, 02:43 AM
I don't know why more people don't dress like superheros in real life.

SkepticJ
2010-Jul-01, 03:17 AM
I like it.

I don't read those sorts of comics, so I won't have to deal with it in the future, but from over a decade of watching DC cartoon series with her in it, I can say I approve of the wardrobe change. An American-flag swimsuit, seriously?

It does look like they've made her younger, though. Looks to be in her early to mid 20s. I guess that's to go with her punkish new digs, but she should be older: 30-35.

DonM435
2010-Jul-01, 04:02 AM

Linda Carter could carry it off.

Jimmy Carter couldn't. [Uh-oh . . . politics!]

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-01, 06:30 AM
I quite like the new costume, I actually find it more attractive.

Spoons
2010-Jul-01, 06:39 AM
It sure is very attractive. The other one was skimpy, which is always a plus, but quite daggy really. That new one is quite spunky!

tnjrp
2010-Jul-01, 07:33 AM
Apparently, we have J. Michael Straczynski to blame for this, at least in part :shifty:

More seriously -- I actually like the costume too. Mind you, I've never had any kind of, shall we say attachment to Wonder Woman as a character so iconoclasty aspect doesn't come into it with me.

Tog
2010-Jul-01, 09:04 AM
Am I the only one that thinks she looks like she's one of the X-Men now?

Okay, so I'll admit that when I think of Wonder Woman, my two main sources are not the comics, but the TYV series with Linda Carter, and the Superfriends cartoon from the 70's. From those two, I always think of her as being older, maybe 35-45. Sort of the mom. Then I remember that her actual history was that she was just a girl when she left the island, so I guess I could accept her as a younger person.

Her powers were Super Strength, bullet stopping bracelets, the magic lasso, and the occasional Tiara-rang. In the new cartoon she can fly, and I don't think she need air to breathe anymore. I'm less a fan of those than the wardrobe change.

That said, superheroes have iconic costumes. Her new clothes look like the aftermath of a trip to the mall. I'm not saying they needed to go nuts with the American patriotism thing, but that's who the character was.

Now to wander into the conspiracy mode a little.

Marvel has put out a dozen or so movies lately. Daredevil, Electra, Spiderman 1-3, Ironman 1 and 2, Hulk (twice), three X-Men movies, Wolverine, and 2 Fantastic Fours. Plus, they have another Ironman, Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers. Possibly more X-Men Origins as well.

DC had 2 good Superman Movies in the 80's, and 2 bad ones. They had three Batman movies in the 90's, two of which were good. (That one with Clooney is in the same place as Highlander 2, and the last Indiana Jones one). And I guess we could count Catwoman. Recently, we saw a new Superman, and two new Batmans. DC has fallen way behind in the movie wars, though their suck ratio is about the same.

The new look is more "normal" and less "showgirl".
She's less Americanized.
She's younger.

Now we have the potential for a strong female role model, dressed in a way that is more conservative, and with a better international appeal. There isn't a previous film to compete against, either, so that will help when it comes to reviews.

I'd bet that this is the first step in a movie campaign and that anything else that comes from it will be in support of that future film.

tnjrp
2010-Jul-01, 09:17 AM
Her powers were Super Strength, bullet stopping bracelets, the magic lasso, and the occasional Tiara-rang. In the new cartoon she can fly, and I don't think she need air to breathe anymore. I'm less a fan of those than the wardrobe changeWikiPedia's list of WW powers is a convoluted afair, just like those of any long-thriving superhero I suppose. It appears for example that WW wasn't able to really fly pre-Crisis, but post-Crisis she can... Her strength has been noticeably upped too, it seems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman#Powers_and_abilities

I'd bet that this is the first step in a movie campaign and that anything else that comes from it will be in support of that future film.It is very possible. Maybe they'll get JMS to pen the movie as well...

Tog
2010-Jul-01, 09:54 AM
Here's the rather long thread (http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=227889) over on the City of Heroes boards. Most seem to hate the new look, or like it, but not for Wonder Woman.

It looks like I wasn't alone in my thoughts about a film franchise in the works, though IMDB doesn't seem to have anything solid listed yet.

NEOWatcher
2010-Jul-01, 12:23 PM
Apparently you didn't click on the OP link. :lol:

A plague upon your house...
Been there, done that.
I was image googling the different variations that WW went through, and that kept popping up. I couldn't resist.

KaiYeves
2010-Jul-01, 04:45 PM
I like her new look. It's very stylish.

Tobin Dax
2010-Jul-01, 05:14 PM
Am I the only one that thinks she looks like she's one of the X-Men now?
That's exactly the connection my brain was trying to make. Thanks, it wasn't coming to me.

She's younger.
But she's been wearing the same costume for over 60 years. That's kind of hard for a 20-something-year-old to do. (Sorry, but JMS's little quip at the end of the article annoys me.)

Tog
2010-Jul-01, 05:38 PM
But she's been wearing the same costume for over 60 years. That's kind of hard for a 20-something-year-old to do. (Sorry, but JMS's little quip at the end of the article annoys me.)

It's also wrong. She's had other outfits. There was one with a skirt, and one that was a sort fo one piece tights thing, like Superman's outfit.

And Kai, it may be stylish, but she's not. She's a comic Icon. You can put Storm in robes, or pants, or a dress and she's still Storm. Same with most of the X-Men. You put Superman in anything else and he's not the same character. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are the big three of DC. They can mess with them for an arc or two, but eventually, they have to come back the look that people recognize.

ON the COH boards the practicality of the jacket came up for a bit. It's basically two sleeves attached to a wad of fabric at the back. It's doesn't do anything, so it's only there to look good. It does. I like the new look, but not for Wonder Woman.

parallaxicality
2010-Jul-01, 05:56 PM
My only problem is the jacket. If the'd gone with a red/black arm-length unitard instead I think it would have worked better The jacket looks superfluous and not particularly practical.

NEOWatcher
2010-Jul-01, 06:23 PM
Should work almost as well as new Coke
Or as well as "The New Wonder Woman (http://www.mansfield.edu/~art/Papyrus2AndrewWaleswonder_woman_files/image006.jpg)" in 1968? Then 13 issues later (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HBKWtrKbYAk/SwWy2TAq8kI/AAAAAAAACUg/mulABdRS-YI/s1600/WonderWoman_191_00.jpg)?

Buttercup
2010-Jul-01, 07:54 PM
Or as well as "The New Wonder Woman (http://www.mansfield.edu/~art/Papyrus2AndrewWaleswonder_woman_files/image006.jpg)" in 1968? Then 13 issues later (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HBKWtrKbYAk/SwWy2TAq8kI/AAAAAAAACUg/mulABdRS-YI/s1600/WonderWoman_191_00.jpg)?

Oh gosh. Sorta flakey of the writers; is that a play on "a woman's prerogative to change her mind"? I like both of those '60s styles though.

SkepticJ
2010-Jul-01, 08:01 PM
The jacket looks superfluous and not particularly practical.

Like a cape?

Swift
2010-Jul-01, 08:05 PM
I like the new look (not that I care all that much). Sure, Linda Carter helped me through my adolescence, and for that, I am forever grateful. But even then, I thought the American flag swimsuit, as SkepticJ called it, was kind of silly for fighting bad guys.

Rhaedas
2010-Jul-01, 08:46 PM
Don't know how canon it is (if such a thing can be applied to comics), but if I recall the storyline of the TV series, the outfit's oddity was due to a misunderstanding by the Amazon's of the US. They took the whole patriotism a bit far. Hence the scene as she arrives and is walking down the street, curious as to why people are gawking at her. That's when she makes the alias of Diana Prince, to actually blend in.

At least that's my very fuzzy recollection of it, so long ago.

Some have called the new look a copy of Rogue, of the X-Men...granted there's the whole half-jacket and darker thing going, but I think there's a big difference. I think it could work...but I'm no comic book junkie, and so far most comments I've seen are quite against it.

parallaxicality
2010-Jul-01, 10:03 PM
Like a cape?

Indeed. I'm with Enda Mode on capes.

Jeff Root
2010-Jul-01, 10:27 PM
I don't know who that is in the white outfit, but I like the outfit. If the
girl were real I think I'd probably like her, too, but unfortunately she's
just a drawing...

I've never been a fan of Wonder Woman. Maybe if I'd seen that comic
book back when...

By the way, can anyone explain why they put the month on comic book
covers, but not the year?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Spoons
2010-Jul-02, 12:39 AM
Hyjinks Ensue (http://hijinksensue.com/) give their take on the outfit.

Tog
2010-Jul-02, 08:26 AM
Don't know how canon it is (if such a thing can be applied to comics), but if I recall the storyline of the TV series, the outfit's oddity was due to a misunderstanding by the Amazon's of the US. They took the whole patriotism a bit far. Hence the scene as she arrives and is walking down the street, curious as to why people are gawking at her. That's when she makes the alias of Diana Prince, to actually blend in.

At least that's my very fuzzy recollection of it, so long ago.

Some have called the new look a copy of Rogue, of the X-Men...granted there's the whole half-jacket and darker thing going, but I think there's a big difference. I think it could work...but I'm no comic book junkie, and so far most comments I've seen are quite against it.

Rogue was the first thing I though as well.

Over on COH, (An MMO based on superheroes; they can do with comic trivia what this board can do with sci-fi and physics.) they said that the reason for the flag suit was that it was the custom of the Amazons to dress in the colors of the nations they would visit.

Jeff Root
2010-Jul-02, 09:19 AM
they said that the reason for the flag suit was that it was the custom
of the Amazons to dress in the colors of the nations they would visit.
I need to start a country. The national color will be clear.

That explanation seems strained even for a comic book. Any idea
what era it is from?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Tog
2010-Jul-02, 09:24 AM
That seems strained even for a comic book. Any idea what era that
story is from?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Nope. I just saw it on that thread I linked to earlier. I think it was on the first or second page.

tnjrp
2010-Jul-02, 09:29 AM
I need to start a country. The national color will be clearIf the theory Tog alighted on is in any way mainstream among the comix fanboy crowd, you can rest assured that there is a minimum of one risque fanfic story concerning WW with just such a twist in it somewhere on teh Inertwebz...

Tog
2010-Jul-02, 09:54 AM
Rule 34

Spoons
2010-Jul-02, 10:06 AM
Is that the rule about scantily clad ladies?

Tog
2010-Jul-02, 10:12 AM
Well, I did find this (http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/29-2048/):

She was given a costume based on the army patches of Diana Rockwell Trevor, who had crash landed on Themyscira decades earlier and saved the Amazons during a battle with an escaped creature from Doom's Doorway.

It's from the bottom of the first paragraph under the heading: Beginnings of Wonder Woman.

tnjrp
2010-Jul-02, 10:19 AM
Is that the rule about scantily clad ladies?Not really:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rule%2034

Spoons
2010-Jul-02, 10:26 AM
Well then, I approve. :shifty:

tnjrp
2010-Jul-02, 10:34 AM
The rule about the scantily glad wimmin comes to mind from Jack L. Chalker's River of the Dancing Gods. Can't recall if it was numbered and if so, what number it was.

KaiYeves
2010-Jul-02, 05:34 PM
The explanation I heard is that Diana Trevor crashed on Paradise Island and helped the Amazons fight a demon before dying of her wounds. The Amazons saw the American flag patch on her uniform and thought it was her family crest/colors. They created a uniform with the same symbols and colors on it for Wonder Woman, because they thought she'd be more accepted if she wore the colors of a noble family from the land she was going to.

Noclevername
2010-Jul-02, 06:36 PM
The old school pre-Crisis explanation was simply that, like France, the Amazons happened to share a few national colors and symbols in common with the U.S. Since they were descended from the same Greco-Roman culture that led to Western civilization, and almost all of our present-day symbols are based on ancient ones, it's not so far-fetched.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jul-02, 07:49 PM
Except that if that was the true explanation, white stars on a blue background would be more common in flags.

Noclevername
2010-Jul-02, 08:04 PM
Except that if that was the true explanation, white stars on a blue background would be more common in flags.

They wouldn't necessarily be common. But five-pointed stars are not unknown in ancient works, and blue is a primary color, so to have the two together doesn't stretch the bounds of coincidence. After all, if we can accept an island of beautiful immortal super-strong women, a similarity of cloth patterns barely grazes the willing suspension of disbelief, any more than the fact that Superman's family crest just happens to resemble the letter "S".

tnjrp
2011-Mar-30, 08:40 AM
Just noticed that WW has changed looks again (welcome back bustier!)... And also that there is apparently an attempt going on at NBC to "reboot" her for television, with Adrianne Palicki starring (hel-loo high heeled bootz!):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wonder_Woman_(new_costume)-.jpg
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/see-the-first-photo-of-adrianne-palicki-as-wonder-woman--2569

I'm sure it's no coincidende that the costumes are pretty similar... What I'm not quite so sure is what to make of this bit:
NBC promises the project, if picked up to series, will offer a serious, non-campy take on the DC Comics characterA non-campy WW? Are they, like, serjush or is the NBC rep who came up with that line on nose candy?

Spoons
2011-Mar-30, 09:11 AM
I like what I'm seeing. I like it a lot.

NEOWatcher
2011-Mar-30, 12:34 PM
Just noticed that WW has changed looks again (welcome back bustier!)...
I would say different, but not an actual "changed look".
They got rid of the coat, brightened up the colors, and got rid of the straps of the bustier. (For comparison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wonder_Woman_(new_costume)-.jpg))

And we are talking about going from a comic drawing to an actual costume. So; there's definitely going to be some adjustments.

tnjrp
2011-Mar-30, 12:49 PM
Going by your OP post, I was assuming the previous outfit's (word by WW until February this year, according to WikiPedia) top wasn't a bustier but more along the lines of the top part of a leotard... The text told us specifically to "say goodbye to the bustier and hotpants" :think:

ravens_cry
2011-Mar-30, 01:08 PM
Like a cape?
With some heroes, a cape actually makes sense. Example? Batman. It helps break up his silhouette's, makes it harder for cronies to know where to aim. ANd with all his Battech, it can be another layer of bullet proofing. Also, when stretched out with the night behind him, makes him look bigger, scarier, which is basically Batman's shtick, make the thugs soil their pants, much easier to subdue that way.

NEOWatcher
2011-Mar-30, 05:27 PM
Going by your OP post, I was assuming the previous outfit's (word by WW until February this year, according to WikiPedia) top wasn't a bustier but more along the lines of the top part of a leotard... The text told us specifically to "say goodbye to the bustier and hotpants" :think:
I'm not sure how the comic book version was meant as opposed to the shows. It could be a bustier.

By the way, what do you call a leatard with no sleeves or even straps. I would think a strapless leotard, but it could also be considered very high waisted briefs. Maybe that's why they just defaulted to bustier.

danscope
2011-Mar-30, 05:46 PM
Hi, I take the original , both the costume and Linda Carter. No question.
Dan

Amber Robot
2011-Mar-30, 09:39 PM
The link in the OP led me to this image:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2010/12/jlav2_cv52.jpg

which immediately made me think of this:

http://www.hembeck.com/Images/FredSez/Xmen135cover250.jpg

Gillianren
2011-Mar-30, 10:16 PM
Talk about crazy look in someone's eye.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-30, 10:30 PM
Talk about crazy look in someone's eye.
I think it's the smiles more than the eyes.

kamaz
2011-Mar-30, 11:01 PM
I like her new look. It's very stylish.

I'm seeing some Japanese (manga/anime) overtones in this style, but maybe it's just me.

Jeff Root
2011-Mar-30, 11:10 PM
If you cover just the upper half of the face or just the
lower half, you'll see that the eyes are the dominant
factor. Just seeing the smiles isn't enough. Just the
eyes is somewhat marginal. The combination-- get
out the kryptonite-lined straightjackets.

When are those two illustrations from? I'll guess the
X-Men is circa 1970 and the antisuperperson is 1990's.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

HenrikOlsen
2011-Mar-31, 05:59 AM
When are those two illustrations from? I'll guess the
X-Men is circa 1970 and the antisuperperson is 1990's.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
Dark Phoenix happened January–October 1980 in The Uncanny X-Men #129–138, that specific cover is from #135, so July 1980.

Nowhere Man
2011-Mar-31, 10:39 PM
Just noticed that WW has changed looks again (welcome back bustier!)... And also that there is apparently an attempt going on at NBC to "reboot" her for television, with Adrianne Palicki starring (hel-loo high heeled bootz!):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wonder_Woman_(new_costume)-.jpg
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/see-the-first-photo-of-adrianne-palicki-as-wonder-woman--2569
And another variation:
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=58117

Red boots with flat heels (better for running down miscreants) and non-shiny pants.

Fred

Gillianren
2011-Mar-31, 11:50 PM
Well, low heels, certainly.

tnjrp
2011-Apr-01, 05:15 AM
Wot wot? I thought all superheroines had the special power "effortless running in high-heeled footwear".

Gillianren
2011-Apr-01, 05:25 AM
I've written several novels about superheroes. Only one of my characters wears those boots, and another character is snarky about it. I later established that the character who wears them has the same sort of healing power as Wolverine, which is why she doesn't have the kind of physical damage wearing those boots all the time would cause.

Tog
2011-Apr-01, 05:55 AM
One of my villains (superhero genre) used expanded metal flooring specifically for catching those type of heels.

I like this new WW outfit better than the brighter colored one, and the boots never should have been the same color as the pants. But, I can't help but think that action scenes in that top will make for either an interesting blooper reel or incredibly difficult breathing. Either way, I imagine foot chases will have a lot of edits.

tnjrp
2011-Apr-01, 06:07 AM
I'm sure the top'll be glued on...

HenrikOlsen
2011-Apr-01, 06:22 AM
Wot wot? I thought all superheroines had the special power "effortless running in high-heeled footwear".
It's a learnable skill, but it takes a lot of practice.
I know a woman how can do it. And yes, she trained a lot to learn that.

Van Rijn
2011-Apr-01, 07:13 AM
And another variation:

Red boots with flat heels (better for running down miscreants) and non-shiny pants.

Fred

Another example of why animation is better than live action!

tnjrp
2011-Apr-01, 08:41 AM
It's a learnable skill, but it takes a lot of practice"It is not actually difficult to create a superhuman... You just have find somebody dumb enough to work at it long enough" ~ President Weisshaupt (http://www.cereb.us/wiki/index.php?title=Weisshaupt) (paraphrased from memory)

More seriously, it may be useful skill to have to be sure. Many women seem to struggle with walking in high heels...

---

Belatedly noticed this:

I've written several novels about superheroesOoh, interesting! Do you mind naming any names, in case I might wanna read some superhero fiction (other than comic books) sometime?

HenrikOlsen
2011-Apr-01, 09:59 AM
And another variation:

Fred
Those guys really need to fire their props people and get some competent ones.

NEOWatcher
2011-Apr-01, 03:16 PM
And another variation:

Fred
I think that's the first picture we can really rely on since it's actually being filmed.
Tnjrp's link said it was the first image, which I would assume is a pre-production version.

Although, maybe there's a daily uniform vs dress uniform. The high heels might be used for ambassador receptions and banquets. :whistle:

Those guys really need to fire their props people and get some competent ones.
Props? Wouldn't that be costuming?

Buttercup
2011-Apr-01, 03:28 PM
Is Wonder Woman really even that popular? Seriously.

Gillianren
2011-Apr-01, 05:41 PM
Belatedly noticed this:
Ooh, interesting! Do you mind naming any names, in case I might wanna read some superhero fiction (other than comic books) sometime?

They're not published, I'm afraid. That particular discussion is from one called Woven Wings, though, which is a Merchant of Venice reference.

Is Wonder Woman really even that popular? Seriously.

Well, she's been around nearly as long as Superman and Batman. She is a regular character in the Justice League. She already had a TV show back in the '70s. She doesn't have as many titles in her own name as Spider-Man, but no one does. I would say that she's the most popular female superhero in comic book history, which, alas, isn't saying very much. The industry will ignore its female fan base.

Nowhere Man
2011-Apr-01, 11:36 PM
No, the most common superpower (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MostCommonSuperPower) is something else entirely.

Edit to add: What's behind that link may not be completely family-friendly, but nothing is exposed. YMMV.

Fred

Inclusa
2011-Apr-02, 03:29 AM
Isn't time/space travel a superpower?

KaiYeves
2011-Apr-02, 04:41 PM
Without mechanical aid, yes. A person who needed a special vehicle or machine to do it might still be considered a superhero, but they wouldn't be considered superpowered.

tnjrp
2011-Apr-04, 07:06 AM
Yep, being "superhero" doesn't really require you to have actual "superpowers" (including but not limited to gratuitously-gravity-defying... ahem... sections of anatomy), which is not only a bit confusing but also provides a chance for lampooning.

---

They're not published, I'm afraidWell dang :(

Gillianren
2011-Apr-04, 05:40 PM

Hey, I can travel through time and space. Yes, I only travel through time in one direction, but I've got a lot of traveling through space planned today.

KaiYeves
2011-Apr-04, 07:47 PM
Hey, I can travel through time and space. Yes, I only travel through time in one direction, but I've got a lot of traveling through space planned today.
True. I contemplated adding that to my post to pre-empt that joke.

I guess "time/space travel" is a power in the same way "Strength" and "Vision" are powers- when it becomes far beyond what other people can do.

Doodler
2011-Apr-05, 12:32 PM
I'm sure the top'll be glued on...

A bit of gaffer tape across the upper edge, and as mentioned, an outtake reel to die for. Giggity-giggity. :D

NEOWatcher
2011-Apr-13, 04:00 PM
Here we go again...

New Wonder Woman will wear shorts! (http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/13/new-wonder-woman-will-wear-shorts/?hpt=T2).

"There was an initial outcry about the long pants—you know, skintight pants as opposed to those little shorts [worn by Lynda Carter in the original TV series],” he tells TV Line. “But the shorts were always planned. They are actually used in the final confrontation when she beats Veronica Cale [Elizabeth Hurley].”
Which came first, the outcry or the production of the final confrontation?

Noclevername
2011-Apr-13, 11:35 PM
Hey, the original 1940's Wonder Woman wore a miniskirt, in the days before miniskirts. And yet somehow maintained her modesty, despite totally jumping hella high.